Quantcast

Photo

Teaching A Horse Rollbacks, What Else Would You Teach Him?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 This Is It

This Is It

stupid should hurt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:13 AM

I'm working on teaching my mustang some maneuvers, getting ready for him to go back to the trainer in a couple months for finishing. When I send him back, I want to have his side pass and rollback perfect. I was wondering if there was a vidoes or good links to show me how to begin teaching him to do a rollback? I've got him independently moving his shoulders and hips, he does really good disengaging his shoulders and hips.

Also, other than the side passing and rollbacks, what else could I teach him while we're still stuck inside due to the knee deep mud outside?

Sarah

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ __ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Tell me it can't be done, and I will do it.
Tell me the goal is too high, and I will reach it.
Place an obstacle in front of me, and I will leap over it.
Challenge me, dare me or even defy me.
But do not underestimate me.
For on the back of my American Quarter Horse, anything is possible.

#2 fastfilly79

fastfilly79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:09 PM

Larry Trocha has some good info. :smileywavey:

#3 dondie

dondie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,221 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:48 PM

Clinton Anderson shows how to train horses to roll back over their hocks from the ground using a lunge line. If you have satellite TV he has a weekly show on RFDTV. Website:
http://www.downunderhorsemanship.com/
I followed his method with my Arab and it was easy. When my gelding went under saddle, the trainer was so impressed at how simple it was to get the horse doing the same thing with a rider on board!

To be honest, the best way to help your trainer...is to develop a calm, sensible, respectful, well mannered horse.
Board Buddies Met: Kina Kat, HeGotSpots! Cholla, I Been Running

#4 VS.Natural.Horsemanship

VS.Natural.Horsemanship

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:54 PM

What I normally do is make them move on the trail. But as you said your stuck inside its kind of a pain. What I have them do is get close to a SAFE creek bank or other sandy drop off and make them move back on their hindquarters and move. This has worked especially well for me, but it can be hard to find a drop off that is high enough to make them not want to just slide down it, and not too high to where if you do fall off it you could get hurt. I had read this in a Western Horseman a few months back. They normally have some good training tips that sometimes work better than the traditionally methods...