7 replies to this topic

#1 diversified

diversified

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:11 AM

Hi,

I have this horse opportunity that has kind of fallen into my lap :). It is a 5 yr old Luke at Me bred gelding that a friend of a distant friend is trying to sell because she can't afford to keep him. Has anyone ever had any experience with Luke at Me breeding?? Are they easy to handle, any health problems prone to the line?My first horse is a Conclusive/Impressive bred with a bad attitude (I love him anyways lol), but I am trying to avoid another one like him. Secondly, she has him for sale for very cheap, what questions should I ask to see if there is a reason he is so inexpensive? She already stated that even though he is 5, that he is as green as a 3 yr old. I have experience with younger horses, so that is not an issue but I do not want to get stuck with something with health problems that will cost me a ton of money or that I will not be able to ride. I would obviously get him vet checked, but questions I should ask before I shell out the cash to bring the vet out......

Thanks!!!

#2 HollywoodStarlette

HollywoodStarlette

HollywoodStarlette

• Members
  • Pip
  • 239 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:44 AM

I've had good experiences with the ones I've ridden though I have never owned one. Generally they tend to be shown in english/ hunter under saddle as they tend to be tall and very floaty. Take a test drive or two and get a pre-purchase to cover yourself just to be safe.
A horse is the projection of peoples' dreams about themselves - strong, powerful, beautiful - and it has the capability of giving us escape from our mundane existence

#3 exes blue eyed devil

exes blue eyed devil

Once you go western, you'll never go back

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,859 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:44 AM

I hear you on impressive breds - you will have much better luck with a pleasure bred horse. Luke at me's are nice horses, like HS said, definitely HUS horse but you might get a nice all around out of him. Good luck.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#4 SilverCharm

SilverCharm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 01:21 PM

Only Luke At Me I ever saw was a nut case, but then I only saw one and it might have been the TB part that made him so hot. All Impressive breds I have seen or delt with were great horses many and are the top WP horses in the nation in the last decade like A Certain Vino, Vital Signs Are Good, Lazy Loper, VS Code Red, VS Code Blue, One Hot Krymsun, Cool Krymsun Lady, One Lazy Investment, etc. You get the idea. :yahoo: So obviously just because a horse is bred that way doesn't mean he is going to be a bad or a good horse.

Good luck!

"An exhibitor went up to a horse show judge to complain about being placed below someone who made some sort of mistake, such as being on the wrong lead. the judge's explanation: "the other guy did it better wrong than you did it right."

#5 jumpergirl23

jumpergirl23

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:39 PM

I know where you are coming from on the Impressive bred. They are known to be a little crazy and I will never own one. As far as the Luke At Me bred horses go, I would LOVE to own one. They are top of line HUS/HSE horses on the AQHA circuit and that is my game right there. ;) Definitely check him out, take him for a ride, and bring a vet along to give you an idea of health/soundness issues. Good luck!

#6 SilverCharm

SilverCharm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:33 AM

But they aren't a little crazy. My Impressive bred gelding is the sanest sweetest horse ever. Last trainer told me he would make a perfect walk/trot horse if I ever want to sell him. I have put friends on him that don't know what they are doing and he just does his job. Both did their first flying lead changes on him. And he does very well on the AQHA circuit, just earned out AQHA Championship last year. And Vital Signs Are Good and A Certain Vino have proven themselves not to be crazy at all. They are the most consistent show horses out there right now in AQHA and just keep on racking in those world titles.

Now halter horses are a little crazy, but that's not because of their breeding, but how they are taken care of. I would go crazy too if I am not allowed to get out and let off steam and just sit in a little box day in and day out.

Edited by SilverCharm, 17 March 2012 - 01:35 AM.

"An exhibitor went up to a horse show judge to complain about being placed below someone who made some sort of mistake, such as being on the wrong lead. the judge's explanation: "the other guy did it better wrong than you did it right."

#7 equi-librium

equi-librium

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,903 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:52 AM

the impressive bred horses are alot in how they are handled.. most are too smart for their own good.. which can be a great thing in the right hands, or a nightmare if their let get away with it..

i've been around alot of them, halter horses and WP horses.. their extremely intelligent. thats where the problem lies, because some people really do need "dumb" horses that wont out think them. ;)

i also like the Luke At Mes.
HC BB's: magicgold, redneckcowgirlmn, spanish_walkin_wannabe, CJF Farrier, Wild Rose, Sundowner Lady, Duns Of Impact, Pepsidog, MareKrazed, The Shamrock Stalker/ROK, DunOvero, ruckandride, RailRoad Woman, Peppers Dad, Stars_Morab, Pelirrojaloca, Tazzin, MRS & imabarrelracer!

#8 skippitb

skippitb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:43 AM

and outside of being very smart, some Impressive bred horses still carry his down right nasty temperament. Impressive was not a nice horse and a few of his descendants still carry that wonderful combination of smart and mean. All you have to do is meet one and you can see how it, unjustifiably, gives the whole line a bad name.

I have also heard good things about Luke At Me horses. For me the real thing you want to figure out is whether this horse is at the level of a three year old due to lack of training or lack of progress. If he was broke out as a 4 year old then I would be less worried. If he was broke at 2, shown, and they are still saying he acts like a 3 year old maybe what they really mean is that they never truly got the bucks out and flat out dont trust him.

I went to look at a 4 y/o Zips Chocolate Chip son years ago that was described as seeming young for his age and ended up being bucked off and unable to ride for 3 months. After I fell (and as he continued to buck like the devil for no apparent reason) they told me that they had "done their 8 seconds on him too". That horse was the most unpredictable and psycho thing I have ever been on and they knew it and didn't warn me. They just called him "green broke". I called him a lawsuit waiting to happen.
I myself have never been able to find out precisely what feminism is: I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat, or a prostitute. ~ Rebecca West