4 replies to this topic

#1 RopingBarrels

RopingBarrels

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 02:20 PM

I have a 1 year old mini poodle that weighs about 10 lbs, and is very thin. You can feel all the bones in his body. I got him at 4 months of age and he didn't eat or drink very well (not like he was sickly at all, but like he hadn't learned how to eat dry food yet). I had him free choiced on wetted down dry food and as he learned to eat have gotten him on completely dry food at one feeding a day (about 7pm), where he usually cleans his dish...and this is the best way I can get him to eat and eat well. At two feedings a day he wasn't eating in the mornings.

The problem is he pukes, A LOT. And has ever since I got him. He pukes a few times during the night, when he gets excited, after he drink water, after he gets any human food at all, etc. etc. I'm sure that is part of the reason why he is so thin-besides being a young, un-cut (he just got fixed 2 weeks ago) male poodle, as they tend to be very lean.

When at the vet I asked what could be the cause of this. The vet explained very well that it could be a megasesohpagus or a persistent right aortic arch. I did some research when I got home too, and I understand what they are, but if he does have either of these conditions what is going to be the outcome of this dogs life? What can I expect? And what should I look for?

He is on Metoclropmaide which seems like it may be helping, though he still pukes sometimes, but if he lived on this, what are long term side-effects?

Thanks so much!

Edited by RopingBarrels, 04 March 2012 - 11:01 PM.

"That bull stomped on him like a duck on a june bug." ~Don Gay

"Trust in the Lord with all of your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all ways acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight" Proverbs 3:5-6

#2 JettyNJulie

JettyNJulie

Pit Bull Lover :)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:03 PM

Maybe try yogurt in his food.. Just an idea.
Posted Image
Thanks to Indestructible ;)

#3 RopingBarrels

RopingBarrels

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:04 PM

In his case I don't think yogurt would do anything but make the puking problem worse, due to his sensitive tummy (on top of these other possible issues).

Not long ago I gave him a little milk with some wormer in it and he puked constantly for hours. He actually does this anytime he is given ANY human food, so that is a big NO NO, no matter what it is. He knows not to be in the kitchen or beg for food because he gets SO sick from everything.

My concerns are with the medical condition he may have and how the med will have a long term effect on him if we decided to go that way, because it does seem to keep the puking in control-meaning it helps his esophagus get and keep his food in his stomach.

"Trust in the Lord with all of your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all ways acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight" Proverbs 3:5-6

#4 cvm2002

cvm2002

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,980 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:24 PM

Well, there's a few things we need to assess first. 1. Has he had contrast radiographs to rule in or rule out the megaesophagus? That MUST be your first step. Contrast studies will also assess stomach outflow issues as well; pyloric stenosis can be one of the problems as well. 2. Has bloodwork been done to rule out portosystemic shunt? 3. When does vomiting occur relative to eating? 4. Is it vomiting (conscious awareness before the event, including the retching abdominal contractions) or regurgitation (no awareness before the event, just blehhhh...there it is.) 5. What kind of food is he on?

Metoclopramide helps with the peristaltic waves of the digestive tract, so will help with any of the previously mentioned problems, including pyloric stenosis. Until you can get bloodwork and x-rays done, try thinning the food down and feed him in an upright position. Given that he's a small dog, its a bit of a challenge. You need to raise his front end while he eats so you have gravity working on your side. Raise the dish, give him a couple of steps to stand on with his front end, rear limbs stay on the floor. Ideally, he's kept in that position for some time after eating. If you can try that and get no change on the vomiting/regurg the problem is unlikely to be megaesophagus.

Dina Wild, DVM
Veterinarian by day...and some nights...and most weekends...and every other holiday.
Wanna-be photographer the rest of the time.

http://www.wildsidearabians.com

#5 RopingBarrels

RopingBarrels

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:21 AM

Thank you for you reply! The vet DID mention feeding him upright, and I have not been able to try that yet, as I have nothing to raise him and his dish as he eats.

To answer your questions: Yes, he did have bloodwork done, and everything was normal. We have had no radiographs done yet though.

He pukes immediately after drinking, unconsciously, and consciously any other time. Sometimes digested food comes up, sometimes whole food comes up, sometimes bile, sometimes nothing. He doesn't usually puke until a few hours after eating, BUT, if he drinks water like I said, it's immediate. When he eats people food that causes vomiting it also occurs immediately. He seems to generally puke at least once during the night, sometimes multiple times.

He is on Diamond Natural Lamb and Rice. He gets a cup a day. I have tried giving him more smaller feedings throughout the day, but somethings he eats, sometimes he doesn't.