16 replies to this topic

#1 Gingerpie98

Gingerpie98

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:29 PM

Because I show 4-H after a horse is six it has to be in a curb bit. I'm not sure which bit I really want want to switch her two. I know that I don't want to do a tom-thumb though.

Some info on her training: she was started as a two year old in halter and leadrope, then let sit till her four year old year where she was started in twisted double broken o-ring combination gag bit, by a fairly hands only rider with no body skill. When I got her in July of her four year old year I switched her to a D-ring snaffle with copper rollers since all I was doing was trail riding and working on getting her used to body riding instead of hand riding. She is doing fine in the snaffle.

So I was wondering what you guys thought was the best curb bit to switch her to.

Edited by Gingerpie98, 07 March 2012 - 03:29 PM.

Maggie

and Ginger, the Arabian that changed my life
and Josey, the Big Baby!

Posted Image
Faith consists in believing when it is beyond the power of reason to believe.
~Voltaire

Faith has to do with things that are not seen and hope with things that are not at hand.
~Thomas Aquinas

Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof.
~Khalil Gibran

http://dreamingthrou...com/index.html'>Dreaming Through Art Commissions

#2 Andi

Andi

Exalted Henchman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,872 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:47 PM

A Billy Allen 3 piece jointed bit with a 4" to 6" swivel shank is a good transition bit. It doesn't have to be a solid bit yet, correct?

Something like this maybe: Billy Allen

Posted Image

Andi

Check out my photography!
LC Ranch Photography

Or follow me on Facebook!

Facebook Page

~~~~~~~~~~
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."
~Thomas Jefferson

Butterfly farts stink!

I've met board buddies! The Bun, rwdodgerblue, mydakota, quarters 'n' paints, desperate horsewife, audrey mae, mrs, rodentra, Quartermutt, HeGotSpots, MondaesMom, Quarterflash, Quincy's Keeper, Tazzin, Buck, Buddyroo, Diamond Jake, Miz Parker, BarnBoss, Apps4Life, redneckcowgirlmn, megs

siggysmall2_zps8cc35042.jpg

#3 Gingerpie98

Gingerpie98

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:04 PM

Thanks Andi, I like the fact that it is 3 piece, her english bit is double broken as well.

No it doesn't have to be a solid mouth piece, just has to have a curb.

I have to look for a smaller size though, her mouth is 4 1/4" so I use a 4 1/2" bit on her.

Edited by Gingerpie98, 07 March 2012 - 05:08 PM.

Maggie

and Ginger, the Arabian that changed my life
and Josey, the Big Baby!

Posted Image
Faith consists in believing when it is beyond the power of reason to believe.
~Voltaire

Faith has to do with things that are not seen and hope with things that are not at hand.
~Thomas Aquinas

Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof.
~Khalil Gibran

http://dreamingthrou...com/index.html'>Dreaming Through Art Commissions

#4 Magic26

Magic26

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:33 PM

We moved our horses from a snaffle to this bit:

AT Silver Argentine Dog Bone Western Bit5in

It's less than $40 and a nice transition bit to the curb. We found it at thehorse.com.
Magic26

#5 VS.Natural.Horsemanship

VS.Natural.Horsemanship

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:30 PM

I just switched my personal mare into a shank bit today. She turned 6 in Feb, and I used to use a Myler snaffle bit with a copper roller.. I changed her into a Myler Western HBT Shank Bit with a low port. I just rode her in it for the first time today and it was wonderful. She was naturally carrying her head low and was really tuned in to the bit. I swear by these bits and I will not ever ride with anything else. You can look at a pretty good selection of Myler bits at http://www.horsesadd...yler-bits1.html
[attachment=6142:phpThumb_generated_thumbnailjpg.jpg]
This is the bit I just used today. It is a sweet iron and has copper inlay. It doesn't break like a tom thumb snaffle or a traditional snaffle bit. It really is a great product!!!

Edited by VS.Natural.Horsemanship, 08 March 2012 - 07:31 PM.

#6 Andi

Andi

Exalted Henchman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,872 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:59 PM

That is the same concept as a Billy Allen. They are a great transition bit from snaffle to a shank. And a good bit to get them ready for a solid bit, and if a person is talented enough, a Spade. I doubt I'll ever have the feel for a Spade but I sure love seeing a good buckaroo riding a Spade horse! It's a thing of beauty!

Andi

Check out my photography!
LC Ranch Photography

Or follow me on Facebook!

Facebook Page

~~~~~~~~~~
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."
~Thomas Jefferson

Butterfly farts stink!

I've met board buddies! The Bun, rwdodgerblue, mydakota, quarters 'n' paints, desperate horsewife, audrey mae, mrs, rodentra, Quartermutt, HeGotSpots, MondaesMom, Quarterflash, Quincy's Keeper, Tazzin, Buck, Buddyroo, Diamond Jake, Miz Parker, BarnBoss, Apps4Life, redneckcowgirlmn, megs

siggysmall2_zps8cc35042.jpg

#7 Grace_C

Grace_C

• Members
  • Pip
  • 492 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:05 PM

This is from my October 2011 Horse&Rider. Bob Avila.

http://www.valleyvet...CFYcUKgodHjooNA

This mouthpiece is similar to the basic smoothmouth, colt-starting snaffle. Transition stage: transition from a snaffle to a leverage bit. :smilie:
Grace

#8 HollywoodStarlette

HollywoodStarlette

HollywoodStarlette

• Members
  • Pip
  • 239 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:14 PM

I really like the bits made by Dave Robarts. They work on the pinchless principal but are half the price of Mylar and are made in America. The have all levels from snaffles to transition to ports to spoons.
A horse is the projection of peoples' dreams about themselves - strong, powerful, beautiful - and it has the capability of giving us escape from our mundane existence

#9 CoolRabbit

CoolRabbit

Professional Annoyance

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,097 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:24 AM

That's the hard thing about changing bits - you could spend a fortune investing in bits until you find the right one. Every horse is different, and although people can recommend bits that work for THEM, it may not mean squat to your horse. I swear, I need to start my business I have been mulling over - a bit rental program where you can rent a bit for 2 weeks to try it before you buy it. My trainer and I have tossed around this idea all year, mainly because she laughed at the massive collection of English bits I have collected in the past 20+ years. I have a bucket of expensive bits, and invariably I end up with my plain old french ring snaffle LOL!

So who wants to be my first investor in my new business? B)
Why set goals?
...because if you aim for nowhere, that's exactly where you'll go!
---------------------------------
The best way to train your horse--work with it. Ride, rinse and repeat!!!
(quote by rnnthesun)

My website (come visit!):
www.janhare.com

www.janhare.com/artbyrabbit

Proud member of the Corn Cob Users Union (Local # HUS8118)

#10 VS.Natural.Horsemanship

VS.Natural.Horsemanship

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 01:34 PM

Cool Rabbit,
If you could send them to Montana maybe I would think about it!!! =)

#11 VS.Natural.Horsemanship

VS.Natural.Horsemanship

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 01:38 PM

Andi,
I had noticed that the bit you posted was very similar to the bit I had just started using. Do you like the Billy Allen bits? I personally use the Myler bits, But if the Billy Allen bits are just as good and cheaper maybe I would look into them. I just am in love with the Myler bits.
Thanks!

#12 Grace_C

Grace_C

• Members
  • Pip
  • 492 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 05:43 PM

That's the hard thing about changing bits - you could spend a fortune investing in bits until you find the right one. Every horse is different, and although people can recommend bits that work for THEM, it may not mean squat to your horse. I swear, I need to start my business I have been mulling over - a bit rental program where you can rent a bit for 2 weeks to try it before you buy it. My trainer and I have tossed around this idea all year, mainly because she laughed at the massive collection of English bits I have collected in the past 20+ years. I have a bucket of expensive bits, and invariably I end up with my plain old french ring snaffle LOL!

MEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
You'd have to send them up to IL tho.
Grace

#13 Smilie

Smilie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,030 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:24 PM

Grace, check the rating of the bob Avila correction bit. It is graded as a `c`, for a finished horse, thus I would not use it as abit to move from the snaffle to

Level A Horse Level 1 Level B Horse Level 2 Level C Horse Level 2-3

level A Beginning training or has little training
level B Established basic training
level C Finished and obeys Complex skills Advanced skills
Calm mindset

That bit ad is slightly confusing, but if you click on the bit classification link, you will see that a correction bit is not a bit to transition a horse from a snaffle

Edited by Smilie, 09 March 2012 - 11:28 PM.

Raising attractive , athletic Appaloosas, equally at home in the show ring and on the open trails
Cody Chrome Supreme member of the breed( superiors in trail,halter western pleasure hunter under saddle )
San Stone Image superiors in reining, western riding and trail
Miss Kilo Bright ApHC championship ROMs western pl, trail, HUS , hunter in hand, halter
A New Dimension three year old filly presently working with
Awarded With love 6 year old mare by Awarded, riding well and proven producer
Frankie hubby's senior trail horse
Rubix Hubby's jr trail horse
Dont Skip The Cadence by don't Skip This chip-three year old in training Sold
Mex , Dun Boy and Image, three yr old prospects

http://s335.photobuc...home/KiloBright

#14 CoolRabbit

CoolRabbit

Professional Annoyance

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,097 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:46 PM

MEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
You'd have to send them up to IL tho.

Bits would be easy to ship! Too bad my box of a hundred bits are all English!
Why set goals?
...because if you aim for nowhere, that's exactly where you'll go!
---------------------------------
The best way to train your horse--work with it. Ride, rinse and repeat!!!
(quote by rnnthesun)

My website (come visit!):
www.janhare.com

www.janhare.com/artbyrabbit

Proud member of the Corn Cob Users Union (Local # HUS8118)

#15 spring storm

spring storm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,767 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:07 PM

I had talked about having something like that with my friend too! I have a quite a few english bits and a ton of western ones, my biggest problem is that I dont know if i could part with any of them.
"Life is too short to wake up in the morning with regrets. So, love the
people who treat you right, forgive the ones that don't and believe that
everything happens for a reason. If you get a chance, take it. If it
changes your life, let it. Nobody said it'd be easy, they just promised
it would be worth it"

Triple T Tack

#16 spanish_walkin_wannabe

spanish_walkin_wannabe

Free Runner Forever

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:28 PM

Yo spring. We should discuss this bit collection you speak of. In total need of a new bit. lol! :winking:

Owner of:
Bucky, Qh/Saddlebred
RCR Dun Until Dusk, "Ella" AQHA
Half Pint, Aka "PT" miniature mule

~*~"And this isn't about going back, it's about life being ahead of you. And you run at it like a racehorse, as fast and as far as you can, because you never know how much life is there, unless you run."~*~

~*~No One Ever Sees a Fly on a Trotting Horse~*~

Official Member of the "I met a Board Buddy Club!
-redneckcowgirlmn, CJF Farrier, DunOvero, Equi-librium, Wild Rose, Sundowner Lady, PStrailrider, Peppers Dad, Ruckandride, RailRoadWoman, Haffytrailstoyou, MareKrazed, Pepsidog, StarsMorab, Spring Storm, BurgundyBlankets, OhNine!, Greenhaven, Serah Rose, and Barnbarb!

#17 dondie

dondie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,203 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:40 PM

With a mouth that size she is going to fall in the pony/mini bits and shanked bits (other than a tom thumb) in a 4 1/2" mouth are very hard to find. Myler offers a couple or custom bit where you choose the parts, Dave Robarts offers a couple of adjustable bits and some small muzzle bits, Reinsman has a #660 solid bar grazing bit, Amazon has the Kelly Silver Star Copper Mouth Breaking Bit.
There are lots of English Pelham bits in pony sizes some with copper mouths. Dover Saddlery has a nice selection.

Edited by dondie, 15 March 2012 - 02:42 PM.

Board Buddies Met: Kina Kat, HeGotSpots! Cholla, I Been Running