152 replies to this topic

#1 cvm2002

cvm2002

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,986 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:22 PM

I've decided to breed Baskette again. Her colt Wolfie (Requiem WSA for those who remember him from 2010's foal watch thread) is a strapping 2 year old now. I've been watching a particular stallion since he was a youngster and he's now acheived 2 National Championships--1 in halter, 1 in performance and is utterly stamping foals in areas that Baskette particularly needs improvement. I've decided to "blog" the process here for anyone who may be interested. Seems like there's a lot of questions about how the process works, so what better a way. So follow me along this journey!!

Without further ado:
Shaks Baskette:
Posted Image
Posted Image

To be bred to National Champion KM Bugatti
Posted Image
Posted Image

So our first "blog" so to speak.
March 14, 2012: Breeding contract and deposit sent to stallion owner, handling fee sent to stallion farm, credit card on file with the reproduction clinic for collection & shipping fees. Now we wait. Washington springs are miserably muddy times so I personally will be waiting to breed until late April, early May so I don't have a newborn out in the awful rain & mud. Those of you who may remember Wolfie's foal watch will recall this mare went 3 days short of a full year on HIS gestation, so we'll see what happens. From here, the plan will be to start monitoring her cycles, uterine culture & cytology so we're ready. Stay tuned....

Edited by cvm2002, 30 December 2012 - 10:52 PM.

Dina Wild, DVM
Veterinarian by day...and some nights...and most weekends...and every other holiday.
Wanna-be photographer the rest of the time.

http://www.wildsidearabians.com

#2 lynnrbkh

lynnrbkh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:28 PM

Thank you! This will be VERY useful information. Looking forward to the result!
~I am not an expert on horses and do not speak with assurance. I can always tell which is the front end of the horse, but beyond that, my art is not above the ordinary.~ (Mark Twain)

Member of the "I love Shadow!" club! :D

I get all my news updates from Stephen Colbert and Rick Mercer.

#3 siseley

siseley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,562 posts
    at "Hot Rocks Ranch"

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:09 PM

WOW!

To KM Buggati!

Very nice stallion and very impressive breeding past.
My Mare is a maiden, and at 10 yrs, would perhaps be a problem for her, so won't breed her, although she has good conformation and excellent disposition. I hope you all the best, and really look forward to watching the foal develop and become a star!

My girl;
PC Special Edition

Posted Image

at 5 yrs, she was still dapple, but is now almost white, with some flea bitten.

Posted Image

Edited by siseley, 16 March 2012 - 12:12 PM.

"The bronco jumped up as the cowboy came down...they met at the old saddlehorn! That's how the yodel was born! "Riders In The Sky".."Strawberry Roan"

#4 pintobeans

pintobeans

fart face

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,579 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:28 PM

To Bugatti!!! :drool: :thud: :thud: :thud: I am officially stalking this...

I love Wolfie, where's some updated pics of him? :happy0203:

jenna
Been Jammin - Benny. Simply my best friend.
Tuesday - TB cross chunky mare, dressage BALLER...to be.

Venus Drive - OTTB foster child
I've met a board buddy! saudimack, Ardent, Jacks, barrelracer17, BeRandee, redrunnincowgirl, The Sugar Lady, rattusrat, KoolKats
My riding journal
ae4d5648-3c94-40a4-88fe-911f26a0f299.jpg

#5 laramierose

laramierose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:20 PM

Gorgeous! I can't wait to see more. Yay for some good-looking Arabs!!!
"She never moved the stars from their appointed courses, but she loved a
good man and rode fast horses."

#6 cvm2002

cvm2002

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,986 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:44 PM

To Bugatti!!! :drool: :thud: :thud: :thud: I am officially stalking this...

I love Wolfie, where's some updated pics of him? :happy0203:

Here ya go. He's 22 months old and I just weight taped him at 880# and 14.3hh last week. Pictures are from December....
Posted Image
Posted Image

With his new best buddy Tiger
Posted Image

Yes, the snow--from one overnight snow fall--was really that deep. Poor Tiger was pretty much buried.
Posted Image

Dina Wild, DVM
Veterinarian by day...and some nights...and most weekends...and every other holiday.

#7 sarataylor5

sarataylor5

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:55 AM

My link-Life with Horses blog
Love this! I will be following along the read up on the progress! Beautiful horses by the way!

#8 journeysgirl

journeysgirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,741 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 02:16 PM

You can just see his personality in his face. It oozes out of the pics. I bet he's a fun horse to own.

1c958838-4475-4695-b61d-b8ec73e28191_zps

If at first you don't succeed, do it the way your wife told you to.
The winds of heaven blow between my horses ears (Arab proverb)
Everyday you are unhappy is a whole day wasted not being happy.
Eff em and feed em fishheads!

Member of the "I met a board buddy club" : MarsCandyBar, Apps4life, Appyluver, Snowyhorse, Greenhaven

#9 cvm2002

cvm2002

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,986 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 04:45 PM

You can just see his personality in his face. It oozes out of the pics. I bet he's a fun horse to own.

HA....Mr. Personality indeed. He was playing chicken with the killdeer in the pasture last night. You've seen his stuffed animal antics, haven't you???

Dina Wild, DVM

#10 Eskielvr

Eskielvr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,272 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:29 PM

Posted Image

I'm Sexy and I Know It!!!

Smile.... it will make people wonder what you are up too. :happy0203:

#11 siseley

siseley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,562 posts
    at "Hot Rocks Ranch"

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:55 PM

NOTHING
looks as sexy as an Arab flagging that tail with the haughty attitude and then the "teddy bear" disposition and cuddle!

Also when they prance, it almost looks like Tempies with air! Love that extension and look.
"The bronco jumped up as the cowboy came down...they met at the old saddlehorn! That's how the yodel was born! "Riders In The Sky".."Strawberry Roan"

#12 journeysgirl

journeysgirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,741 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:58 PM

HA....Mr. Personality indeed. He was playing chicken with the killdeer in the pasture last night. You've seen his stuffed animal antics, haven't you???

Oh yes I have!! they are :rotf:

He will be a hoot to ride when he gets older. Can we say "arab teleport trick" at the grass blowing just to mess with his rider!! :rotf:

Member of the "I met a board buddy club" : MarsCandyBar, Apps4life, Appyluver, Snowyhorse, Greenhaven

#13 quarters n paints

quarters n paints

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,000 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:56 PM

Gorgeous horses!
My herd:
Freckles (Freckled With Style) 1999 Pinto

Junior (Chips Zippin Jr Mint), 2005 AQHA

Minnie (Norfleets Texas Two Step)... Freckles' 2007 Pinto filly

#14 cvm2002

cvm2002

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,986 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:40 PM

Well, I guess the only update I can give is that the weather SUCKS here. Cold, windy, freezing rain & snow. Will NOT be planning a breeding anytime soon if this keeps up! Actually, we're just watching for Baskette to come into heat. Then we'll do a uterine culture & cytology.

Dina Wild, DVM

#15 Serah Rose

Serah Rose

Ramblin Rose?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,008 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:35 PM

ooooh that will be such a FUN match.
*Canter for the Cure*

http://www.etsy.com/...signByPorcupine - still need quills but have a few necklaces back in stock!

http://contributor.y...serah_rose.html my published articles

#16 N4L

N4L

Chief Cat Box Mucker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,930 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:22 PM

Wolfie is sure a fine looking boy!! How's the filly doing? Do you have pics of her as well? Baskette and Bugatti will have an awesome foal.

#17 cvm2002

cvm2002

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,986 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:42 PM

How's the filly doing? Do you have pics of her as well?

As requested....From October however. For those who don't remember, I was GIVEN this filly because she wasn't "good enough" as a weanling. Sired by a National Champion, out of a National Top 10 mare, with a 1/2 sibling who is a Reserve National Champion. I posted these pictures on Facebook and the farm manager where I got her from said, "Crap....we should've kept her..."
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

and HER personality: Yes, that is snow all over her head. I have one picture where she is completely buried....
Posted Image

Dina Wild, DVM

#18 cvm2002

cvm2002

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,986 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:15 AM

Blog update for Saturday: Looks like Baskette may be in heat. I don't have a teaser stallion available and I REALLY don't want her son doing that duty. Tail flagged, lots of swishing, stop & pee, stop & pee some more....Was planning on ultrasounding her tonight and doing the culture if she's in, but ran out of time and daylight tonight. Will catch her first thing in the morning.

Dina Wild, DVM

#19 cvm2002

cvm2002

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,986 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:54 PM

Sunday March 25: ultrasound performed. Left ovary: multiple 30mm follicles. Right: mult. Small follicles. Uterine tone fair, cervix softening. Still looks like transitional ovaries, but we'll track how this cycle goes. Uterine culture & cytology samples collected; will read results tomorrow evening.

Please, if there are any questions as we go, feel free to add to this thread!

Dina Wild, DVM

#20 TracyA

TracyA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,688 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:24 AM

Thanks so much for letting us come along for the journey. This will be very educational for me, and for many of us, who look at the cute little baby pictures and get foal envy without knowing just how much work goes into a planned pregnancy and a hopefully healthy foal and mare at the end.

Tracy
I'm still a horse crazy teenager at heart!

#21 cvm2002

cvm2002

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,986 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:50 PM

Monday March 26, evening: Uterine culture at 36 hours is negative for bacterial growth. Will do a final check tomorrow, as well as look at the cytology slides under the microscope. Will probably re-ultrasound her over the weekend to make sure she ovulated, so we can start tracking cycles from here. Right now, my plan would be to let her come into her next heat naturally, go through that and then short-cycle her off that heat. That should put us breeding--if she reads the book--the first week in May, which is right where I want it.

Of course, this blog experience is going to be a little skewed simply because I AM a vet and I can bring the ultrasound home at any hour of the day or night. Makes scheduling a little easier...

Dina Wild, DVM

#22 lynnrbkh

lynnrbkh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:13 PM

Could you explain short cycling? How does it affect the quality of the follicle?
~I am not an expert on horses and do not speak with assurance. I can always tell which is the front end of the horse, but beyond that, my art is not above the ordinary.~ (Mark Twain)

Member of the "I love Shadow!" club! :D

I get all my news updates from Stephen Colbert and Rick Mercer.

#23 cvm2002

cvm2002

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,986 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:34 PM

"Short cycling" shortens the interval BETWEEN heat cycles. The typical mare cycles roughly every 21 days. 5 days or so in heat, 16ish days out of heat. Hormonally, the follicle ovulates at the end of the estrus cycle, the "left over" ovarian structures become the progesterone-secreting corpus luteum (CL). Its progesterone that keeps the mare OUT of heat. About 2 weeks after ovulation, the CL has a "choice" so to speak. 1) if there is a pregnancy that signals to the mare "HEY!! I"M HERE!!!", the CL is retained and maintained to support the pregnancy until around 6 months gestation when other hormones take over the driving role. 2) If there is NO pregnancy, the CL begins to break down, progesterone levels zero out and the mare returns to a normal heat cycle.

By short cycling, we administer Prostaglandin (Either Lutalyse or Estrumate) which prematurely breaks down the CL. The CL disappears, progesterone drops, the mare returns to heat in a more controlled and shortened interval. When doing cooled, shipped semen, this is of benefit because we can coordinate when the mare is going to come back into heat, so the stallion can be collected, the semen shipped and have it inseminated just prior to ovulation. Inevitably if you DON'T use some degree of hormonal manipulation, you end up with a mare that will ovulate on a Monday, when a Friday collection for a Saturday delivery is all you can get. If short cycling is timed appropriately, you can typically guess that the mare will ovulate about a week after the injection.

Dina Wild, DVM

#24 journeysgirl

journeysgirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,741 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:17 PM

What is the cytology?

#25 cvm2002

cvm2002

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,986 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:47 PM

Cytology: From the Greek: Cyte- meaning "cell" and -ology meaning "study of". Basically means to take a look at the cell population under a microscope. For a uterine cytology, an extra swab is collected and then rolled out on a glass slide. The slide dries, is stained and then evaluated under the microscope to determine what is REALLY going on. Uterine cultures have the biggest drawback that 1. Just because you DON'T get bacterial growth, doesn't mean it isn't there. 2. Just because you DO get bacterial growth, doesn't mean its from the uterus and 3. Uterine cultures will not indicate fungal infections. By interpreting the information from both the culture AND the cytology, you get a better indication of what's really going on. If you have bacterial growth on the culture but no inflammatory cells on the culture, its likely a contaminant on the culture. If you get inflammatory cells on the cytology, but a negative culture, further diagnostics need to be done, whether its a repeat culture, fungal evaulation (mainly through cytology) or biopsy. The current trend, especially for hard-to-settle mares is low-volume cytology, where a small amount of sterile saline is administered into the uterus, allowed to sit in contact, and then collected back. The fluid will then suspend all the debris & cells, the fluid is centrifuged and concentrated and then the gunk left behind is evaluated. Its a truer picture of what's going on throughout the uterus.

In this case, I did just a standard culture & cytology, both of which were negative. So we just wait for the time to be right and we're good to go!!

Dina Wild, DVM

#26 journeysgirl

journeysgirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,741 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:39 AM

That's interesting, thanks for taking thw time to explain.

#27 Epona142

Epona142

The Goat Whisperer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,691 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:52 PM

Following along with interest! :smileywavey:
I can now be reached via PM. Thanks.

#28 Brieanna

Brieanna

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:52 AM

Also following here with lots of interest! Gorgeous mare and STUNNING stallion-should make quite the baby!

#29 cvm2002

cvm2002

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,986 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:18 PM

Well, looks like its going to be a long breeding season...I just rechecked Baskette to see if she had in fact been in heat. It does not appear that she was. Tonight, there were follicles ALL over the place on both ovaries with no clear "dominant" follicle and no obvious corpus luteum. She appears to have either a uterine cyst or a touch of fluid (likely from the culture process). To me, she still looks transitional and not actively cycling. I'll probably bring a different ultrasound machine home this weekend and recheck. I've been using a cordless machine and I don't care for the image I get on it. We'll see....

Dina Wild, DVM

#30 pintobeans

pintobeans

fart face

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,579 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:41 PM

:(

jenna
Been Jammin - Benny. Simply my best friend.
Tuesday - TB cross chunky mare, dressage BALLER...to be.

Venus Drive - OTTB foster child
I've met a board buddy! saudimack, Ardent, Jacks, barrelracer17, BeRandee, redrunnincowgirl, The Sugar Lady, rattusrat, KoolKats
My riding journal
ae4d5648-3c94-40a4-88fe-911f26a0f299.jpg