40 replies to this topic

#1 CatNip81

CatNip81

The Distroyer of Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:26 AM

I just finished the first book and halfway through the second book. Must admit I am surprised to see a story like this so popular with teenagers. It's like 1984 meets The Most Dangerous Game with a little Lords of the Flies tossed in.
I know I know. It for teenagers. But after all that Twilight stuff I am happy to see a series of books turned into a movie that is more my style. Hard to believe it is marketed towards teens though. Cannot wait to drag hubby to see The Hunger Games when it comes out. Will have to wait a few days. I am not one to sit elbow to elbow with people in the theater.

Edited by Storygurl, 18 March 2012 - 09:28 AM.

#2 Designer Rose

Designer Rose

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:54 AM

I am! I'm hoping I can convince my fiancÚ to see it with me. I LOVED the first book, and am about 70% through the second one. I must admit though, like you, I'm kind of surprised at the huge fandom it seems to have amongst teens. Twilight I could understand because it has the whole teen romance thing, but with the Hunger Games, I am a little surprised since the book is a little more "adult."
Posted Image

#3 BlazeIndyStormy

BlazeIndyStormy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:07 AM

I am definitely going. I read all three books and thought they were good, hopefully the movie is just as good. I read Water for Elephants and was disappointed with the movie.
"Life Ain't Always Beautiful but What a Beautiful Ride"
"One day your life will flash before your eyes, make it worth watching!"
" Everyone Dies but not Everyone lives!"

I have a son, Dustin, 17, just started driving, but has always drove me nuts and I have a daughter, Michaela, 15, who is my best friend and my riding buddy!

Owned by:
17 yr old Percheron Cross- Blaze (My handsome man)
15 yr old tri-colored Missouri Fox Trotter- Mr Impressive, Aka Indigo or Indy, (My pretty Boy)
4 yr old Kentucky Mountain- Jazzin' Up A Stormy, Aka Stormy ( My baby}
5 yr old Rat Terrier- Jebediah, aka Jeb (the Terror!!!!!!!!)
3 yr old Boston Terrier- Ezekiel, aka Zeke (Smooshie)
1 yr old Weimeraner/German Pointer- Zevah
9yr old calico kitty-Star
9 yr old black long haired kitty- Snowball
5 yr old black & white kitty- Oreo
4 yr old calico kitty- Cookie (Tubby)
Tan lion head lop doe- Delila
Black and White Lion head lop rex mix- Fez
White, Brown & Gray lion head lop rex- Hyde
Black & White Lion head lop rex- Jackie
Black & White mini Rex- Joker
Brown mini rex- Caramel

May my Baby girl, Cinnamon <3 rest in peace, may my little baby(my human angel)play with her and Ace and love them as much as we did here until we are all reunited again, I love you all!

#4 CatNip81

CatNip81

The Distroyer of Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:27 AM

I am definitely going. I read all three books and thought they were good, hopefully the movie is just as good. I read Water for Elephants and was disappointed with the movie.

I do not think you will be disappointed. The reviews on Rotten Tomatoes are all very good. They have a pretty decent pulse on what is good and what is not that great. Right now it is at 100%. Sure that will change once it opens up to everyone. I am anticipating a high percentage for this movie.

There has been some debate due tot he movie being PG-13. Many feel that is should have been rated R.

#5 PrairieHeart

PrairieHeart

Sheltie Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:33 AM

I'm not. I havent read the books yet but my husband has and it sounds a bit more graphic than I'd like. In books it doesnt bother me since its just what I imagine. Maybe he can go with his mother while I'm out of town, since she is working on reading the books.

Every storm runs, runs outta rain

Just like every dark night, turns into day

Every heartache will fade away

just like every storm runs, runs outta rain

its gonna set you free

#6 Hoku

Hoku

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:59 AM

Me and my best friend are going Thursday for the midnight premier! I've been excited for months over this :3 these books beat any series I've read yet. I never was a fan of twilight. Haha.

Tormented By

Patriot

Vixen

Batman

Miku

Weasel

Mischief of Rats

Jaxon

My boyfriend <3

#7 KatyB

KatyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,734 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:19 PM

I'm going; my 12-year-old is very excited about it.
Katy
enjoying every day!
Posted Image

#8 Eskielvr

Eskielvr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,249 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:45 PM

My daughter and I are going.

I read all 3 books in just about 4 days. The first one I could hardly put down, read it in one day. The second one took me just over a day, and the third one the longest. I didn't like it as well.

Smile.... it will make people wonder what you are up too. :happy0203:

#9 Irish Sovereign (In Omnia Paratus)

Irish Sovereign (In Omnia Paratus)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:51 PM

I'm going! I read all 3 books in 1 day.
Proud Owner of
In Plain Sight aka Jake '92 black TB *retired*
Rackless Baybee aka Gracie '94 bay overo Paint *my lovely broodmare*
Heaven's Breath aka Bug '08 chestnut tobi paint *my newest project and show pony*

AC Skip N Smooth aka Allie '00 pallamino QH mare

RIP Winston 10/15/04
RIP April 3/6/09
RIP Stuart 8/29/11

"Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean I'm not being followed"

#10 Serah Rose

Serah Rose

Ramblin Rose?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,710 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:53 PM

MGPF and I are both looking forward to it...we read it together when he was visiting for New Years. I told my mom that she had to read it and she loved it as well. I doubt my mom is going to watch the movie...she has a very vivid imagination and IS the characters when she's watching a movie...

I feel trepidations about how they movie might not be even close to the book...but am looking forward to it nonetheless.

I am not surprised at this series popularity with teens. The Uglies series was very popular, as is the Matched series. Both are dystopic series like The Hunger Games.
*Canter for the Cure*

http://www.etsy.com/...signByPorcupine - still need quills but have a few necklaces back in stock!

http://contributor.y...serah_rose.html my published articles

#11 Epona142

Epona142

The Goat Whisperer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:54 PM

Yup - once it's been out a week or two, I'm going to go. Hopefully they don't ruin it.
I can now be reached via PM. Thanks.

#12 JumperOverWater88

JumperOverWater88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,250 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:42 PM

I didn't read any of the books and I'm not going too. The movie actually looks really good and I want to see it but every time I read a book and then go see the movie, the movie is ruined for me. The books are always so much better.

I'll stick with just seeing the movie and I will be going when it's been out a week or two.
22766_747764112828_26724985_42120426_201

I've Met A HC Buddy: FloridaCowGirl!

#13 Serah Rose

Serah Rose

Ramblin Rose?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,710 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:44 PM

JOW - watch the movie THEN read the book... :)
*Canter for the Cure*

http://www.etsy.com/...signByPorcupine - still need quills but have a few necklaces back in stock!

#14 goldentoes

goldentoes

can't stop singing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,374 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:50 PM

I can't WAIT to see it!

I heard they had to tone down the violence to get the pg-13 rating, but they kind of had to, since the main audience for the books is the teen set. I'm curious about how they're going to handle some of the things in the book that I think are instrumental, but too violent for a pg-13... I guess I'll see :)

I do think the casting looks brilliant :)
"It's a topsy-turvy world, and maybe the problems of two people don't amount to a hill of beans. But this is our hill. And these are our beans!"

Keep Up With CANTER Mid-Atlantic at My Blog!

#15 Kina Kat

Kina Kat

I'll be your huckleberry.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,584 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:13 PM

JOW - watch the movie THEN read the book... :)

Yeah, I never read the book first. Always disappointing. The only exception I can think of is the Harry Potter movies, perhaps because I went in knowing there was no way they could cover everything in the books.

#16 BuddyRoo

BuddyRoo

Bandwagon Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,292 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:58 PM

Psst: Kina! You can read the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series before watching the movie and not be disappointed. :)

I've read the Hunger Games trilogy after my stepdaughters had them in class. Read all three in a few days over Xmas break and liked them. I think that what an adult gets out of the book is different than what a 12 or 14 YO will get out of it. The author is a pretty interesting character too.

Anyway, yeah....I want to see the movies. Looking forward to it. Especially with Lenny Kravitz. He is PERFECT for his role IMHO. :)
A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Stupid should hurt.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

I've met: Katie May, Phurgus, Feeeline, Jumpin Horses, Slaycock, Ironbessflint, Lash, Kowgurl, Nara, Skip, BarnBarb, Barklay, Muskrat, Fawn and Jazz's Mom, Nikki, Theo, DoubleDee, Quarterflash, LynneHall, Shelley, Bumper, BayFilly, MizParker, Mr. MizParker, LongingToRun, TRB, CindyP, Mr. CindyP, MRS, KatyBlackJack

Founder PDAD

BUDDYROO BLOG

#17 Serah Rose

Serah Rose

Ramblin Rose?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,710 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:32 PM

Oh TOTALLY the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo books were FAB...and the Swedish movies were JUST as good! It was amazing...
*Canter for the Cure*

#18 JumperOverWater88

JumperOverWater88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,250 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:24 PM

Well, I'm an avid reader so it seems to me I end up reading the book at least 3 to 4 years before they make it into a movie.

These books haven't been out that long though right?? It seems as soon as a good book comes out the studios snatch up the right to make it into a movie right away.
22766_747764112828_26724985_42120426_201

I've Met A HC Buddy: FloridaCowGirl!

#19 DraftyGirl43

DraftyGirl43

• Members
  • Pip
  • 378 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:16 AM

I usually read the book and then go see the movie, yep, usually very disapointed! ESPECIALLY the Twilight series. I couldn't put those books down, then the movies sucked.

I think I'll try it the other way around this times. I want to see Hunger Games this weekend, then I'll read the books. It's been awhile since there was a movie I wanted to see, so hopefully it's as good as it looks from the trailers.
Cooper - 2003 Spotted Draft
Cheyenne - 1999 Quarter Horse

#20 CoolRabbit

CoolRabbit

Professional Annoyance

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,097 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:31 AM

What is this book about? Anyone for a quick, non-spoiler synopsis?
Why set goals?
...because if you aim for nowhere, that's exactly where you'll go!
---------------------------------
The best way to train your horse--work with it. Ride, rinse and repeat!!!
(quote by rnnthesun)

My website (come visit!):
www.janhare.com

www.janhare.com/artbyrabbit

Proud member of the Corn Cob Users Union (Local # HUS8118)

#21 BuddyRoo

BuddyRoo

Bandwagon Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,292 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:33 PM

CR-

It's a fantasy series. It's set in what is essentially a post apocalyptic US after a rebellion of the people and subsequent smack down by the gov't. The country gets broken into 13 different "states" called districts and each is very isolated from the others (by design). To keep the people from rebelling again, the gov't kind of stakes each district against each other economically and keeps the people very dependent on the gov't for their basic needs.

Additionally, to show their power over the people, each year, the gov't hosts what is called "The Hunger Games" where a boy and a girl from each district is chosen to compete to the death with kids from each of the other districts in kind of a gladiator meets survivor type Olympic "arena". And all of the citizens are required to watch.

The author has done quite a bit of research with regards to the effects of war on children, families and society and this book explores many different aspects in ways that are pretty thought provoking for more advanced kids and adults, but it can also make basic points for the less mature reader. I found it to be a great book for starting some discussions about things that are happening in our world today.

Both of the girls were required to read the books in school over the last couple of years. That's why I picked them up. (My stepdaughters are in 6th and 8th grades now--I believe the books were required reading for most of the 6th graders.)

I didn't think I would like the series AT ALL. I'm not into fantasy. Or so I thought. I just like to read what the kids are reading so I can help them with homework if they need it and have a handle on what they're being taught.

I started reading them Christmas morning and finished all 3 in two days. Couldn't put them down.

To help you gauge things: I tend to like to read espionage, murder/mystery/detective type stuff or Jody Piccoult type things. I don't like flowery language. I like science thrillers too. Or non fiction like The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. Harry Potter is not exactly on my list of faves, but I could appreciate it. This is not a Harry Potter fantasy type book. Much more serious themes IMHO. And less magic. Though there is some.
A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Stupid should hurt.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

I've met: Katie May, Phurgus, Feeeline, Jumpin Horses, Slaycock, Ironbessflint, Lash, Kowgurl, Nara, Skip, BarnBarb, Barklay, Muskrat, Fawn and Jazz's Mom, Nikki, Theo, DoubleDee, Quarterflash, LynneHall, Shelley, Bumper, BayFilly, MizParker, Mr. MizParker, LongingToRun, TRB, CindyP, Mr. CindyP, MRS, KatyBlackJack

Founder PDAD

BUDDYROO BLOG

#22 CoolRabbit

CoolRabbit

Professional Annoyance

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,097 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:22 PM

Thanks a bunch! That helps :winking: Now time to go book shopping!
Why set goals?
...because if you aim for nowhere, that's exactly where you'll go!
---------------------------------
The best way to train your horse--work with it. Ride, rinse and repeat!!!
(quote by rnnthesun)

My website (come visit!):
www.janhare.com

www.janhare.com/artbyrabbit

Proud member of the Corn Cob Users Union (Local # HUS8118)

#23 Epona142

Epona142

The Goat Whisperer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:10 PM

I'd say Sci-Fi more than Fantasy, but for a lot of people, that's like tomato/tomato LOL...doesn't work so well online, that phrase, does it. :rotf:

Anyhow - quite good. A real outstanding YA book that will be ranked up with Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, Twilight (yes Twilight, even crap can be important), Three Musketeers, Secret Garden, etc, etc, as pivotal young adult books.
I can now be reached via PM. Thanks.

#24 sddeadeye

sddeadeye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,668 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:51 PM

I have never heard of the series either. It does sound rather interesting and I will probably watch the movie first before reading the books.

#25 Irish Sovereign (In Omnia Paratus)

Irish Sovereign (In Omnia Paratus)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:14 PM

Got my tickets to see it at the IMAX theater Friday.
Proud Owner of
In Plain Sight aka Jake '92 black TB *retired*
Rackless Baybee aka Gracie '94 bay overo Paint *my lovely broodmare*
Heaven's Breath aka Bug '08 chestnut tobi paint *my newest project and show pony*

AC Skip N Smooth aka Allie '00 pallamino QH mare

RIP Winston 10/15/04
RIP April 3/6/09
RIP Stuart 8/29/11

"Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean I'm not being followed"

#26 Sol

Sol

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:02 PM

I'm going friday with a friend. I can't wait!!!! I read the books within a couple of days of starting them.
"The wind of Heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears." - Arabian proverb

I met a board buddie!!: fresianwelshx, Barnbarb

Stony Creek Cane Corso

Proud owner of Lacey, Vito, Luciana, Kara, Nox, and Ally - Cane Corso Italianos
Bella - JRT

#27 CatNip81

CatNip81

The Distroyer of Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:46 AM

Oh wow. All the midnight showings are sold out here. lol

#28 carlofab

carlofab

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,188 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:01 PM

Do not know the books, but I'm so there.

#29 hansonmkusa

hansonmkusa

Qtr Horse Lvr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 12:50 AM

Sounds intersting -- post reviews when seen. Would like to see it -- if its worth the time and money.

JR -- Sorrel Quarter Horse

Felina -- Gray Quarter Horse
Zee --Green Iguana
Zina -- Red Tail Boa
Elektra -- Red Tail Boa

"Make sure you have your dreams saddled if you want to ride it." -- Johnny Cash
"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway!" -- John Wayne

_th.jpg

#30 VAQHMA

VAQHMA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:31 PM

Going to go see it on Saturday for an early birthday celebration. :happy0203: Besides being excited that The Hunger Games is now a movie, I'll admit that I'm partly going because Liam Hemsworth is drool-worthy. :drool:

Posted Image