20 replies to this topic

#1 nightdreamer

nightdreamer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:57 PM

So he's had a bad tooth for awhile. Since the last time I had his teeth cleaned about a yr ago. I said specifically to my local vet to pull any bad teeth (the bad one) and clean the rest. Well he didn't come out of the anestesia very well, sluggish, couldn't hold his bowels, couldn't hardly walk for 3 days. And when I looked at his teeth there was non pulled, just cleaned.

I was pretty upset and worried to put him under agian!!!

He's a bit overweight, although on a strict diet now and he's 11 years old.

Soooo Anyway!!! We took him a a real nice small animal vet one town over. They specialize in dental work. Had an appointment this morning and def. agreed the tooth needs out and it's infected. They do them all the time and like most places put them on antibiotics a week before then do the sugery to remove them.

We are doing it next wednesday and I am so, so, so nervous!! I'm worried about putting him under agian! The doc was pretty optomistic and they monitor them really well.

I know it's farely common anymore but I'm still scared! Don't want anything to happen to my baby!!!

Edited by nightdreamer, 19 March 2012 - 02:57 PM.

#2 Kina Kat

Kina Kat

I'll be your huckleberry.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,665 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:03 AM

I totally understand. When I was younger, I always heard, "Well, there's always a chance something could go wrong with the anesthesia." Which is still true, of course, but I think it's far, far less common now.

The last few times my boy was anesthetized, however, he was way dopey when they had me pick him up. I would have preferred they keep him overnight as I have stairs and I just hate seeing them stagger about. He was fine -- it was just hard for me to watch.

Make sure the vet knows about the last time and it sounds like you'll be good!

#3 dondie

dondie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,203 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:13 PM

Since they are aware of the problem. They can use a variety of anesthesia that doesn't put your dog under too deep. :huggy:
Board Buddies Met: Kina Kat, HeGotSpots! Cholla, I Been Running

#4 nightdreamer

nightdreamer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:04 AM

Thanks, means a lot!! I'm still pretty nervous but I will be until they call me and tell me he's doing ok! His surgery is tomorrow. This week is so busy! I can't wait for it to be over.

Giving him is antibiotics before the surgery is a battle, I forgot how stinkin hard he is at taking pill!! And I'm usually a pro at giving them!

#5 dondie

dondie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,203 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:39 AM

One of my client's cat had to take antibiotics for two weeks and the vet gave her a couple of samples of a "Pill Capsule" for the cat. She gave one of the empty capsules to the cat and he liked the fish & beef ones.

They come in Beef, Fish and I think Chicken. It comes in a tube shape. You stick the pill inside the tube then roll it around until the entire pill is coated.
It feels a bit like play-dough so it's not gross when you touch it.
With the first pill, we opened her cat's mouth, dropped it in and held his mouth shut. After that, she could set the covered pill on his food dish and he would gobble it up! Soooo much easier than hunting him down and forcing him to swallow a pill two times a day for two weeks!
We also waited until after he took his pill to feed him. So he was hungry and highly motivated to eat the pill quickly!
The vet said some people use two capsules for very picky pets and larger pills.

Talk to your vet about them. Especially since your dog if facing a long run of antibiotics.

#6 nightdreamer

nightdreamer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:56 AM

yeah greenies has pill capsules. he will bite them spit it out then eat everything except the pill.

Most of the problem with him is that he clenches his jaw shut so I have to stick my finger down and push the pill down his throat.
It's pretty big and mixing it in the food doesn't work so well b/c it's so strong tasting.

O well I'll manage..just don't know how it's going to work when I have to pry his sore mouth open afterwards!

#7 dondie

dondie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,203 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 12:54 PM

We had to rub cold unsalted sweet butter on any pills for one of our Goldens. If we didn't, Kodiak would gag and throw up.
We could hide his sister Goldie's pills in sharp cheddar, cooked hot dogs or meat balls. She caught food tossed in the air.
The trick, was mixing all the bits together so that we didn't know what we were tossing her. Dogs are great at reading body language. If we knew which one had the pill, she would catch it and instantly drop it or turn her head and let it fall to the ground. If we didn't know, she ate all of them.

#8 nightdreamer

nightdreamer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 01:08 PM

He is such a "soft" eater and nibbles at everything so hiding it in food doesn't work for him!

#9 dondie

dondie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,203 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:21 AM

One of those pill shooter things?
Put it in, push the center part and it shoots down the throat.
We used a dog one for our goat when she needed pills. Worked really well. If you slide it like a horse tube wormer through the side of the mouth it works really well.
dog pill shooters

#10 nightdreamer

nightdreamer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:50 AM

Yeah I don't know if I could find one of those! But I was just thinking they need to make one like one you use for cattle!

He's at the vet right now...probably in surgery right now.

They said they'd call around 10-12 and they should be done by then.

Ugh...I'm so nervous I can't even stand it!

It's a new vet we went to, brand new place, doesn't even look like a vet clinic! He was so happy this morning and loving on everybody there ha...felt so bad he didn't even know it was coming.

And he went right with the vet tech. waggin his tail the whole way haha I swear he'd go with anybody!!! He doesn't know a stranger.

Edited by nightdreamer, 23 March 2012 - 08:51 AM.

#11 dondie

dondie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,203 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:23 AM

:angel3: For your dog. :huggy: As you wait and worry.

#12 nightdreamer

nightdreamer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:28 AM

Thanks! I am def. waiting...and very anxious waiting for them to call.

#13 nightdreamer

nightdreamer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:30 PM

Just got a call from the vet and he is waking up now! YAY! Had to pull nine teeth :( Yikes, we all thought he would only need to pull 2.

Can't wait to go and get him!!!!

#14 N4L

N4L

Chief Cat Box Mucker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,930 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:12 PM

Glad your boy came through his surgery OK. My 11 year old Chihuahua had to have all of her teeth pulled when she was 6. I had gotten her from someone else, and they didn't keep up with her dentals. She does just fine being toothless. Hopefully, they got all of your boy's bad ones gone, and he has no more tooth troubles.

#15 nightdreamer

nightdreamer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:15 PM

Thanks. Wow all of them, crazy. He's older and we knew a few yrs ago it needed done but when we took him to the vet to do it he didn't even pull any.

I'm sure he'll be acting much better after this!! He's never really shown any teeth but I'm sure they were sore.

He's home now, they gave him morphine and he was pretty high! Starting at things and very anxious. Now he's sleeping, already ate some food and went potty!! YaY!

Such a big relief for me, I was SOOO scared :S

#16 Kina Kat

Kina Kat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,665 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:45 AM

Oof -- he must have been hurting.

I'm so glad he's back with you! Sounds like he's coming out of it okay?

#17 nightdreamer

nightdreamer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:34 AM

He's a bit sore today but woke me up wagging his tail and staring at me! So thats a good sign.

Was a bit moany after he ate so I gave him a pain pill and now he's resting.

Can't wait for him to be all better!

#18 N4L

N4L

Chief Cat Box Mucker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,930 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:57 PM

Yeah, once his pain is all gone, he'll be his old self. Even with all teeth removed, my little Chi was back to her old tricks in less than 2 weeks.

#19 Kina Kat

Kina Kat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,665 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 03:50 AM

Good, good.

Some unsolicited (:happy0203:) advice: Depending of course on what they vet has instructed you, you want to try to stay ahead of the pain. So if the pain meds are prescribed for three times a day, give them every 8 hours, not just when he seems to be in pain.

#20 nightdreamer

nightdreamer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:37 AM

Yep, def. staying ahead of the pain giving the pain bill at night when he eats then right when he wakes up.

He doesn't seem to be in much pain..mostly anxious and wants to go outside and run around...which is really unlike him! Usually he likes to just be lazy. Could be the meds or could be that he's feeling good.

#21 Kina Kat

Kina Kat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,665 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:51 PM

He doesn't seem to be in much pain..mostly anxious and wants to go outside and run around...which is really unlike him! Usually he likes to just be lazy. Could be the meds or could be that he's feeling good.

Sounds good!