21 replies to this topic

#1 Ann Wheeler

Ann Wheeler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,895 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:56 AM

Your thoughts.one school already apssed this regardless of the parents opinions,stating it should be taught by parents...not the school

the school is doing this based on 2009 survey that children have had intercourse by age 13...

which also brings up Birth Control if the school is going to teach this,shouldn't they also provide Birth Control as well..... I wonder how the politicians would rea t to this, if thier children at age 9/10 hd intercourse, what happened if thier daughter got pregnant,,,? ( yes there has been a few cases where ten old years did get pregnant? More than likely it would 12/13 year olds that probably would get pregnant...Would they have thier daughter have an abortion? Would they help her,let her have the child ,put it up for adoption. Remember these children are minor,thier parents willbe held responsible ....

Musk school board passes sex ed program

Program begins in the fourth grade; some upset

Updated: Tuesday, 20 Mar 2012, 11:22 PM EDT
Published
: Tuesday, 20 Mar 2012, 8:11 PM EDT

• By Ryan Takeo
MUSKEGON, Mich. (WOOD) - The Muskegon school board voted Tuesday to pass a
new sex education program that begins in the fourth grade.

The plan will teach students about sexual intercourse, hygiene and
orientation starting in the fourth grade. The education about sexual orientation
is meant to decrease bullying, the district said.

The board's vote was
unanimous despite controversy about the plan.

Some parents said that fourth and fifth grade was too early to begin sex
education and that sex education should be done at home. Others objected to the
school teaching students about sexual orientation.

But school officials said that the plan was proactive and necessary, citing
a
2009 survey done in Muskegon (pdf)
that showed 8.4% of students
said they had engaged in sexual intercourse before the age of 13. They also
noted the county's pregnancy rate, which is higher than the state's.

School officials have said that parents can opt their students out of the
program.

The district plans to train teachers for the next few months and roll out the
program starting in the fall.

--
http://www.woodtv.co...-sex-ed-program

Edited by Ann Wheeler, 21 March 2012 - 06:59 AM.

#2 goldentoes

goldentoes

can't stop singing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,374 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:12 AM

Sex ed started in my school in fifth grade.

I think "sex ed" sounds scary to parents, but honestly, in that age group the focus is on what to expect as they begin to enter puberty, and really basic stuff.

I think it's great that there are parents who feel this should be up to them, however the problem is many, many (if not most) parents aren't doing a good job of it. They're not going in depth with their kids and leaving out important information about birth control, etc. This leaves school systems in a bind - puberty education and sex education is part of a child's general health education, and is as important as nutrition, exercise, drug/alcohol education, etc (other things many, many, if not most, parents don't really educate their kids about these days). It is vital to the future health and wellness of children that they have a good understanding of this stuff early on. It prepares them for teenagerhood and adulthood and arms them with the information to make better decisions.

I think schools, unfortunately, HAVE to do this - not because it should be their responsibility, but because I believe most parents are doing a piss poor job of it. Kids having this information (not just about sex but the other things I mentioned above) has a direct impact on all of us and society as a whole. If parents everywhere weren't abdicating their responsibility here, then I might not be as adamant about comprehensive sex and wellness education in schools.

The thing that gets me is that many (not all) of the parents arguing that it should be "up to the parents" are the very parents NOT educating their kids in the first place.

If the worry is that the information will make kids more active early on, I think that's pretty misguided. Like I said, sex ed began in 5th grade when I was in school, and then we had a short bit every year, until high school when we got the full shebang with the presentations from Planned Parenthood and the whole nine. So everybody in school was very well educated on the subject. And it didn't exactly turn into an orgy or anything (and the whole time I was in high school there was exactly one teen pregnancy)

People also have to remember that kids are receiving more and more sexualized input all the time - music and tv and advertising. That stuff seeps into their consciousness at an earlier and earlier age, they're getting much more of it than we did when we were kids. That makes it even more important that schools step in early to get them accurate information. Someone needs to compete with the all day marathons of Jersey Shore or Jerry Springer.
"It's a topsy-turvy world, and maybe the problems of two people don't amount to a hill of beans. But this is our hill. And these are our beans!"

Keep Up With CANTER Mid-Atlantic at My Blog!

#3 sammi87

sammi87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:14 AM

Ditto to GT on pretty much everything. We got our first sex ed class in 5th grade. It was a little late for a lot of the subject matter since most of us already had gotten our periods, and several girls had already lost their virginity at that point. I've personally seen 10 and 11 year olds pregnant-it isn't that uncommon in certain parts of the community. I have mixed feeling about schools providing medications to children-in my school they couldn't even give aspirin without a note from the parents. I have less of an issue with giving out condoms-there's no drug interactions or side effects from those. My school did not provide condoms, the nurse's opinion was if you weren't mature enough to go to CVS and buy them yourself, you weren't mature enough to be needing to use them. While I agree with her on principle, that policy didn't stop kids from doing it-they simply used far riskier methods (one of the common ways was to use plastic sandwich baggies as condoms).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Where are we going? And why am I in this hand basket?"

my "herd":
2 very naughty cats
5 Chickens
5 Ball Pythons
1 Leopard Gecko
Assorted Crested Geckos
29 gallon saltwater mini reef
several thousand Italian honeybees

#4 horses85

horses85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:18 AM

great post goldentoes!

#5 Little Cow

Little Cow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,746 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:38 AM

My first "sex ed" class was at age ten. It was part of a health class and very biologically based. There was nothing about BC nor do I see anything mentioned about BC in the class description above (?). I didn't think anything of it and my mom still had to give me a book to explain the particulars. This was in California back in the 80s, BTW.

Nowadays, teaching tolerance and explaining the subject of sexual orientation is a good idea for kids to grow into tolerant adults. Especially since they could be punished at work, school, or even in the military for lacking tolerance of others (tolerance is also a base value for our Constitution).

If it is a concern to parents, then they should talk about it with their kids concurrently or even before the school's program. No doubt, this will bring up questions and allow parents to have their say at home. If I was a parent, I would look at this as an opportunity to have a discussion with my kid and remind them of any personal values that they would like to instill in their children (abstinence, etc...). I will never depend on the public school system to instill my personal values into my children. That's MY job and that of our church. That's really what this is about. Let the school teach the facts and let the parents help their children make sense of it. I have no desire to put words in a teacher's mouth nor is there any need to do so. I understand the apprehension, but I think those parents that are the most concerned are probably the most involved parents that actually have the least to worry about, ironically enough. Good parenting can counter the effects of anything a child is exposed to in the real world and help make sense of the things that confuse them. Besides, your ten year old is much more likely to actually listen to you then your hormone driven teen anyway, LOL!

Little John and I just had a discussion about how some kids have two mommies and some kids have two daddies instead of a mommy and a daddy like he does. He is 3 and 1/2. His reaction to this news was to nod and say "Okay, can we play lightsabers now?". Yep, it really turned his world upside down, LOL!

Edited by Little Cow, 21 March 2012 - 09:46 AM.

Is working cattle considered playing with your food?

Home of the ankle biter cows.

Proud veteran.

#6 Nikki-HorseCityAdmin

Nikki-HorseCityAdmin

HorseCity Bouncer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,325 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:01 AM

We did sex ed in fourth grade (this was the early 80s). My memories of it are rather limited but I was not like :shocked: or :twitch: during the classes. I remember a few of my friends being rather clueless about what we discussed but it did not mentally inhibit us or arm us with unlawful ideas. I grew up in a pretty conservative Midwestern town and only 1 girl got pregnant out of my class of 500+ in our Senior year.

I think teaching sexual orientation was never thought of much back then but I also grew up with a gay cousin that was one year older than me. I never thought she was "different" or treated her any different than any of my other friends in school. I don't think she struggled with her sexuality through our high school years. She was a great friend to me and a riding buddy. But of course, kids growing up now might be different. I think adults tend to more judgmental and worried about things than most kids are. I was too busy thinking about getting my homework done so I could go riding.

I agree with Little Cow, good parenting can help kids make sense of it all.

#7 carlofab

carlofab

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,283 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:24 AM

You folks have reassured my faith in humanity.

My only wish is that your views were more typical of "normal" people.

Edited by carlofab, 21 March 2012 - 10:29 AM.

#8 Kyra

Kyra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:24 AM

Honestly it needs done earlier these days. And it's sad but true. Kids are aware of sex(if not having it)terrifyingly early anymore.

I'm a nanny, and one of the kids I watch is a 10 year old girl. It shocks me how much she knows and how sexual she is. For instance the other day her and one of her friends wanted to give car washes for money. I said that was fine. Well I look outside 20 minutes later and her and her friend are booty dancing in bikini's clearly trying to use their bodies to get people to stop. I was horrified. Of course I put a stop to that right away, but the fact that kids do this kind of thing at that age is shocking. When I was her age I liked to run around barefoot in the woods playing indians.

So while I think it is early to start sex ed, it's much better to have informed kids than clueless kids having sex anyway.

Posted Image
My best friends; Joe, Barra, Dollar, Luna,Hank, Morning and Reena
And one spunky,animated Quarab,Smoke
My Dogs;Chessa and Reese
*RIP* Dobbin. I love you so much!1982-Nov.15 2005
*RIP* Bitsy. Love you!1968-July 19,2006
*RIP* Bella. You are missed!1987-Feb.8,2008
*RIP* Skittles.

#9 Ann Wheeler

Ann Wheeler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,895 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:57 PM

Thank-you for your input.yes it is unfortunate as Goldentoes stated......about the parents......
I also think when teaching it, it should include how to protect themselves , in case , in which the article doesn't say.

#10 BuddyRoo

BuddyRoo

Bandwagon Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,313 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:26 PM

General sex ed started in 4th grade when I was in grade school. Sadly, not soon enough for some of the gals who were pregnant by then! OMG!

Not to be inappropriate but I have two girls in my life who have started by age 12. 5th grade. And their parents (I'm a step) didn't really see it coming. I did. I pushed for the talks because I saw the changes. I think a lot of parents don't want to consider the reality that their little babies are hitting puberty!

So I'm THANKFUL that schools are tackling it at that age. Frankly, might do better to do it even earlier at the rate kids are going now!
A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Stupid should hurt.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

I've met: Katie May, Phurgus, Feeeline, Jumpin Horses, Slaycock, Ironbessflint, Lash, Kowgurl, Nara, Skip, BarnBarb, Barklay, Muskrat, Fawn and Jazz's Mom, Nikki, Theo, DoubleDee, Quarterflash, LynneHall, Shelley, Bumper, BayFilly, MizParker, Mr. MizParker, LongingToRun, TRB, CindyP, Mr. CindyP, MRS, KatyBlackJack

Founder PDAD

BUDDYROO BLOG

#11 sammi87

sammi87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:33 PM

Buddy-agreed. I LAUGHED when the elementary school nurse was talking about "what to expect from the changes in our bodies". By 3rd grade (9 years old) I had a regular, heavy, period and larger breasts than my teacher. And I knew of at least 2 girls who were already pretty sexually experienced at that age.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Where are we going? And why am I in this hand basket?"

my "herd":
2 very naughty cats
5 Chickens
5 Ball Pythons
1 Leopard Gecko
Assorted Crested Geckos
29 gallon saltwater mini reef
several thousand Italian honeybees

#12 -MudCloud Unlimited-

-MudCloud Unlimited-

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,333 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:08 PM

Kids should definitely be starting to learn things early. Not all the details all at once, but we need to stop treating sex as a taboo, and open the lines of communication. Otherwise they hear misinformation from other kids (kids are way dirtier than the parents ever expect), like some boy telling a girl they wont get pregnant, if they have sex, its all fine, no worries. Or glamorized sex in the media, that sends a certain message about sex. How are they to know better if that's the only place they're hearing about it? This issue is coming up because parents are not taking care of it. They believe their children are innocent little angels long after that phase has passed.
(`v')
.`..'
-. .")) -::-
. ."))
((.. ."))
-::- ((. . .")) (`v)
_ _ _ ((.. __ `..'
-::- ((.`. Rose
.`..

PLEASE DO NOT FEED THE MODELS
THANK YOU

#13 wolfhaven

wolfhaven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,406 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:12 PM

Buddy-agreed. I LAUGHED when the elementary school nurse was talking about "what to expect from the changes in our bodies". By 3rd grade (9 years old) I had a regular, heavy, period and larger breasts than my teacher. And I knew of at least 2 girls who were already pretty sexually experienced at that age.

Really? At that age I was still more interested in playing cowboys and indians than playing doctor. I don't remember any "health ed" classes until 7th grade.

#14 xTheeAppleismyAppyx

xTheeAppleismyAppyx

I love my appy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,629 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:47 PM

I do remember some talks in grade school I also remember they gave us all shaving cream... Let's just say they never did that again! I'm pretty sure that was 4th grade. I can't believe that some people on here are saying kids started that early! Really? Really!? Posted Image I was to busy thinking about riding my bike and horse in the woods to even think of doing anything with boys.

" I will listen for your hoofbeats in heaven "

#15 missouriDun

missouriDun

President of CRAFT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 05:36 PM

I too leaned about the reproductive system in Health class....In 1963-1964 school year. I was 9

#16 JettyNJulie

JettyNJulie

Pit Bull Lover :)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 05:37 PM

I was in 5th or 6th grade when we learned about that...
Posted Image
Thanks to Indestructible ;)

#17 Mudder

Mudder

Keeper of the Wooden Spoons

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 36,500 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:47 PM

I remember back when they did this in health class with my son. I was literally torked right off at them for teaching it. I thought HOW DARE YOU take away my job as a parent! Posted Image But, by then, we'd already covered it at home. Once I had time to take a settle and think about it, I thought ok I understand. Not every parent is like me, and actually teaches their kids about stuff like that. Posted Image Then I thought back to the day when I was that age and what some of the girls I went to school with believed to be true. OMG!! Scary stuff. Posted Image No wonder there were so many teen pregnancies back then. Girls especially are developing and getting their visitor much sooner than I ever did. They need to know this stuff, and the real deal not some old wives tales.
Sappy's son Hunter is my wooden spoon minion. Hunter ROCKS!!
Due to current financial restraints, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice... stole this from Saudimack
Murderous Mudzie Murtano

#18 coloredcowhorse

coloredcowhorse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:16 AM

I had just barely turned 10 when I had my first period....and had to get a bra. None of my friends were yet to that point. This was late 50's and NO ONE was talking about sex ed...my mom, red faced and stammering, gave me a pamphlet and suggested I talk with my best friends mom who was a nurse. Yeah...not happening. Later on, as an ER nurse, I've helped deliver several babies from 12 and 13 year old girls....one was a rather obese child who truly did not realize she was pregnant...nor did her mother....she'd never had a period and had "played around" with one boy who was her same age....and was, in fact, technically still a virgin. Close does count. Sometimes I think that gender separated schools would be a great idea again. My own kids were exposed to breeding of animals early on and knew that pregnancy was a potential consequence of sexual behavior....and they learned the correct words, the way things work fairly early as well. It didn't seem to damage them and they've been responsible adults. If parents don't do the job then someone, somewhere, at some point BEFORE sexually transmitted diseases and unwanted pregnancies are likely to be happening, needs to do it and do it with factual info, not scare tactics (things don't turn blue and fall off if not used). This means 8-9-10 years at least.
Dorothy
My link

#19 Ann Wheeler

Ann Wheeler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,895 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 01:13 PM

At the school i went didn't start until sixth grade. then had to have parents permission,they had to sign a slip.. .

#20 Blondyb

Blondyb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:44 PM

Why oh why is sex such a taboo thing?

It is a natural occurrence, in which, can be used to create life- or simply for enjoyment.

Kids are going to have sex regardless if they know about it or not. Simply attending a class that discusses healthy sex is not going to make them go out there and do it.

I would much rather my kid be PREPARED to have sex, then not be prepared, for when the time does come.

"Wait...what? Horse overpopulation is a problem because we can no longer be paid to have our fuglies conveniently killed for us? Wow. And here I thought the problem was irresponsible breeding." -RaggedyAlice

"Imagine a king who fights his own battles. Wouldn't that be a sight?"

"You're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never ever choose to be."

"Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home."

--Stephen King

Jazz The Spazz
Posted Image Posted Image

#21 Indianshuffler

Indianshuffler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:21 PM

I too leaned about the reproductive system in Health class....In 1963-1964 school year. I was 9

We must be about the same age, because that is exactly when I learned it too, from a little class c school district in Michigan.
People who will tell you the brutal truth when needed are keepers

#22 jacie

jacie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:49 PM

the first sex ed class I had was in 5th grade, and you had to have parent permission. we also were split, all girls together and all boys together. there were a couple kids that spent that class in the library.