9 replies to this topic

#1 Flying Stars

Flying Stars

Jaw Yapper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,725 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:10 AM

Mare was seized two weeks ago, and was asked by the SPCA if I could trim her..anyhow here is where we are at from two weeks ago.

I beveled the toe so the edge of the crack wouldn't spread? Needless to say..I am now her owner do to some twist of fate.

The crack does go through the cornet band..but don't seen to be through the bottom of the hoof.
I am thinking superficial..but till I scrub the crud and gunk off..I won't see how the trim has affected the hoof. This is the second time I have seen this mare since two weeks ago. Hubby picked her up last night.

Posted Image

Here is a picture two weeks ago hubby snapped with his camera just before I finished the hoof.
Posted Image

Edited by Flying Stars, 18 March 2013 - 06:39 AM.

“The next best thing to being wise oneself is to live in a circle of those who are.”

#2 Trinity

Trinity

Steampunk!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,778 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:51 PM

Looks very fungal.related so be sure to treat agressivly for infection as it grows out. I tend to dump thruahbuater or lysol in those kind of.cracks. again, apologies...I'm o. My phone and it blows chunks for.posting.
Posted Image

I met a board buddy! NCtrailgirl, Dam Yankee, Dixie Belle, loverofhorses36, sappy, tequilaskye, BlueSkyeTraveler, Nara17, edenn3583, brlracer624, KatyB, glm0711, BellaLuna

Horse lovers are stable people

#3 missyclare

missyclare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,822 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:48 PM

LOL! My internet blows chunks for posting and forget downloading!

These feet/toes are short enough right now. I suspect that if you looked at the hoof from the side, the band angle would be more level than 30 degrees. Be careful. The bevel, properly placed and maintained is key, not shortness. With this pic, I could very well be mistaken.

I drew lines, then understood the trim wasn't finished yet. Maybe high on the right side. Not a good angle pic to critique, either. Just see what the sole says. Those two arrowed lines are exactly the same length.

Posted Image

Its very important that the hoof be meticulously balanced across the toe and on both sides of the crack. Height, bevel and surface terrain. Two matched sides, joining up in line, even though it isn't there. By surface terrain, I mean the skirt of flare. Though not excessive, it is a first sort of torque on that crack. The skirting on each side does not match, either. (red lines) You don't want to thin the wall at that crack either, the bevel again is key and must be maintained. The crack, where it meets the ground should bevel open gently with a 45 on each side. Those two gloopy drops on the wall, are to me, good proven growth that the band is producing.

You can see the shape of the coronary band and how its been affected. The crack will either grow down and off, or fill in and be a weak spot forever more, which means the balance, the bevel maintained and matching sides will always be very important. The coronary band supplies the nourishment for the baseline membrane (inside edge of the white line) which is just below the band. It grows outward and ends up as hoof wall, while the membrane lets the growth slide down the hoof at the same time. You'll just have wait and see and obey the sole. I would boot this foot. The toe is where all the torque is.

I'd get her meticulously clean, by soaking, a scrub brush and Dawn dish soap...solar side too. I believe that many would say that this hoof is in need of a toe re-section. You definitely have to get some air in that crack. I'd want all the black color to look white for starters in that crack, scrubbing with a toothbrush and scraping gently with the tip of my knife. Making sure that the wall coming away from each side is sufficiently bevelled open all down the length of it as well. Then I'd do a white lightening treatment....5 days later, another. Keep it clean and booted. If at anytime, this looks worse infection-wise, call the vet or farrier. I don't like to see toe resections done, but it needs air and if you can't get at it, its continuing under the wall and you need help. Definitely white lightning, no foolin' around.
It will reach farther internally than a topical.

If you wish the balance checked, post pics.

I also want to rub something on that coronary band to wake it up, improve circulation and healing. Any suggestions?

Edited by missyclare, 24 March 2012 - 11:57 PM.

#4 Flying Stars

Flying Stars

Jaw Yapper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,725 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:30 PM

Missy

Posted Image

We have new growth
Posted Image

“The next best thing to being wise oneself is to live in a circle of those who are.”

#5 missyclare

missyclare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,822 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:32 PM

Looking better. Nice to see that good growth! How's the front crack doing? Keep at it, this hoof isn't balanced yet.
Definitely cleaner, though there is still central sulcis healing that needs to happen. Keep the quarters cleared. When you see the coronary band arch up over the location of the crack, check the solar side, see wall above the sole. Its this height that arches the band....crack still jamming up. The heels could come down a bit more (about 1/8") Left heel is still a tad higher. I can't work with the heel shot, too extreme and it stretches out of proportion when I try to handle it, but I see wall height above the sole on both sides. 10-2 looks good but I'd follow the sole and get the wall height down even with it, coming straight back to meet the heels.
Also shape the hoof on both sides of the crack, so that they are symetrical...that includes the sagging flare sitting at the bottom of the wall, good strong bevel continuing on past that crack and same on both sides and maintained and I'd also put a small bevel outward from the crack at the ground to remove any sharp tip crack edges from catching on anything. The shape is important to remove torque and staying on top of the trim is also important until the crack is completely gone.
When you bevel the sides, stick to the rule of only taking the outer half of the wall away, don't remove support, but the finishing edge should run straight across the crack like it wasn't even there.

Edited by missyclare, 16 April 2012 - 11:36 PM.

#6 Flying Stars

Flying Stars

Jaw Yapper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,725 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:01 PM

Sorry I am rushed!

I will get new solar shots for you tomorrow , I am run ragged!

Yesterday

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Note that the crack does not go into the cornet band! That is how much new growth has come! I have been feeding flax. So hopefully this will promote a healthier hoof from the inside out.

Today, I grabbed quick picture!
I did a touch up!

Fronts today! She was standing rather awkwardly when I took it! She was wanting to head out! lol
Posted Image

I will be home all day tomorrow . So I will get a total photoshoot!

There are heel imbalances going on too! I think when I get total new pics in the morning, that it's going to need tweaked every week. To keep on top of things.

The crack hasn't gotten worse..which is good!

This is from yesterday! I just cleaned it up a wee bit! After this pic was taken!
Posted Image

Edited by Flying Stars, 17 April 2012 - 02:23 PM.

#7 Flying Stars

Flying Stars

Jaw Yapper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,725 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:22 PM

Bumping up!! Missy I have a hoof pic for you but both FB and Photobucket is being screwy! If someone could post a pic for me that would be great!

I have been slacking to take pictures, but have a brand new canon that I would hate to get dirt in! On a calm day I will take some pictures..when the winds
not blowing!

It's been 9 weeks since I was able to do a small trim...now recovering from a section...but need to do the horses next week if I can!!

Edited by Flying Stars, 17 March 2013 - 02:24 PM.

#8 Flying Stars

Flying Stars

Jaw Yapper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,725 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:52 PM

http://www.flickr.co...N03/8566455114/

Here is just a photo that I quickly took in the barn..I see an outside flare that will be addressed this week!

A complete scrubbing and photoshoot will be done tomorrow afternoon so I can get to the trim!

#9 missyclare

missyclare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,822 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:25 AM

Go easy on yourself, eh? Give yourself time to heal as well. I made that mistake of getting back into it too soon and got into trouble with my 5th one. Felt fine, was just hemorrhaging and whole stomach had turned red. Had to lie down for a couple of days. Don't go there. Use a stool, a stand, only do one hoof, take it easy. There's nothing wrong with these feet that you can't work piecemeal or slowly on. Its the better way anyway.
I'll need better pics, especially the heel shots that aren't as severe. I need to see the whole frog and toe in the background and let the hoof hang by one hand from the fetlock and lean forward, keeping 2 feet away.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!

Edited by missyclare, 19 March 2013 - 08:26 AM.

#10 Flying Stars

Flying Stars

Jaw Yapper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,725 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:20 AM

Yes, I will take care of myself!

Will get better pictures for you. Hubby can hold her, and position the hooves so I can keep my
camera clean! haha

We just had 2 feet of snow dumped on us overnight!