42 replies to this topic

#1 SpottedTApps

SpottedTApps

Does anyone pay attention to these?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,868 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 03:33 PM

Even though I'll put this in the explanation, it will need to be stated again... This horse is under veterinary care.

In October one of my mares cut/impaled her neck with a broken fence board (caused by a boarder's horse) creating a lovely wound. The entry wound was probably 3" however, you could fit your hand under her skin due to the depth of the wound. After cleaning and care for about 3 weeks it had healed to the point of a hole that drained continuously. Twice daily flushing has been a part of chores since the day of the wound.

Since it wasn't healing properly, she was hauled in and the vet found a quarter sized chunk of wood and removed, sent us home with instructions to flush (duh) and we left. 2-3 weeks later, no change. Vet was out with ultrasound, located another chunk of wood about dime sized, re-opened wound, cut 2 new large holes and left a very sore pony. (who has been a saint through this whole thing)

2-3 weeks later STILL no change, still bad draining, back to vet for X-ray. Vet was unable to find any foreign bodies and gave me special, new to market meds, to use when flushing. (in the process of all of this there is something that keeps trying to squeeze out. It is the consistancy of a jelly fish, but is obviously a fixed object as I can't actually get it out)

2 weeks later, wound has healed except for small opening from which to drain. And flush. And drain. New special meds don't work. Haul her in again, vet palpates, says it just needs to heal.

Brings us to 4 weeks or so ago. BACK to vet because stupid dumb wound won't heal. Horsey was never in pain really, can palpate, never lame, only sore when new cuts put into neck.... I even competed on her.

Vet suggests opening wound BACK up and starting fresh. OK. Vet cuts ugly cut that I won't watch happen and finds inside a fist sized chunk of ugly looking flesh that is "floating" in hole, attached by a lifeline to the body. He cuts it out and sends in for biopsy. Fills hole with soaked gauze hoping to catch any debree that may be in body still.

3 days later back for checkup, looks good, leaves gauze. 2 days later back and pulls gauze out. Biopsy comes back neg for cancer or anything else. Assumption is that there was a sliver of wood and the body built up around it to protect, the sliver disintegrating.

So here we are today. The horrible, deep cut has healed over... except for a hole (Do I sound redundant?) and it continues to drain. I can still flush a LARGE amount of liquid in the hole. Again we have the jellyfish consistency stuff inside the hole.

I am on 6 months of this stupid wound and at my wits end. It adds minimum 10 minutes on to my chores each time.

I've used so many different types of meds, flushes, antibiotics etc over this and nothing is working.

Anyone run accross this before?

I have a message into my vet with the current status and am waiting to hear back.

Edited by SpottedTApps, 29 May 2012 - 09:30 AM.

Spotted T Riding Blog

I've met board buddies! - Quincy's Keeper, Cutter123, LongingToRun, Cowgurl*, Horseygrrl, RoyalBTBs, RixKatToy, Blonde on a Warmblood, Tuckit, BrokeBackCoolBreeze, Forever in Blue Genes, NitrousForce, Holy Jeezers, Demon's Mom, Cowgirlartist, Draftiemama, PineBarSissy, Hastflicka, Shelly Carter, Pinky, Tuper, Flequus, Poldi, Rockabillygal, SmokeyJoe, BB Blue, Tab, MixedUpTease, HarleyNHS, JoAnn, Florida Cowgirl, Little Cow, Tuck, Hoofs In Motion, Ratts, Notyo, Apps4Life, Lash, Loranbama, Heart Felt Farms, LuckE, First String Farms, The Sugar Lady, Spring Storm, SCspots, Runnin'Colors & Heidi n Q!!! That's 47, how many you got?

Posted Image

#2 Floridacracker

Floridacracker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:54 PM

Hi, my money would be on you still have a fragment or slither of wood in there somewhere. I had this happen on a dog. She got a wood splinter from mulch stuck between her toes. Went pretty deep, but vet got it out. Put her on baytril for infection. Thought it had healed until she was off baytril. Formed another puss pocket.Back to vet, X-rayed foot. Sure enough saw another slither of splinter. Put her under to remove it and back on baytril. Looked like it had healed, but again as soon as I stopped the batril, another pus pocket. Same thing, only this time X-rays showed nothing. Vet put her under again for exploratory surgery. What they found was a very tiny splinter had migrated past her toes and lodged up in the leg and didn't show up on the x-rays.Once they found it, it healed ok. I dealt with this for a good 4 months. I never thought a tiny, tiny splinter could cost me so much. Good luck and I hope the figure it out.

#3 spanish_walkin_wannabe

spanish_walkin_wannabe

Free Runner Forever

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:29 PM

I agree. It sounds to me like the horse may still have more fragment if it's draining like that.

Owner of:
Bucky, Qh/Saddlebred
RCR Dun Until Dusk, "Ella" AQHA
Half Pint, Aka "PT" miniature mule

~*~"And this isn't about going back, it's about life being ahead of you. And you run at it like a racehorse, as fast and as far as you can, because you never know how much life is there, unless you run."~*~

~*~No One Ever Sees a Fly on a Trotting Horse~*~

Official Member of the "I met a Board Buddy Club!
-redneckcowgirlmn, CJF Farrier, DunOvero, Equi-librium, Wild Rose, Sundowner Lady, PStrailrider, Peppers Dad, Ruckandride, RailRoadWoman, Haffytrailstoyou, MareKrazed, Pepsidog, StarsMorab, Spring Storm, BurgundyBlankets, OhNine!, Greenhaven, Serah Rose, and Barnbarb!

#4 SpottedTApps

SpottedTApps

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,868 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:31 AM

OK, but what do I DO about it? It's been ultrasounded and Xrayed, nothing showing up. It's been re-opened 3 times now? And scrubbed, flushed etc. looking for any other debree. Ug.
Spotted T Riding Blog

I've met board buddies! - Quincy's Keeper, Cutter123, LongingToRun, Cowgurl*, Horseygrrl, RoyalBTBs, RixKatToy, Blonde on a Warmblood, Tuckit, BrokeBackCoolBreeze, Forever in Blue Genes, NitrousForce, Holy Jeezers, Demon's Mom, Cowgirlartist, Draftiemama, PineBarSissy, Hastflicka, Shelly Carter, Pinky, Tuper, Flequus, Poldi, Rockabillygal, SmokeyJoe, BB Blue, Tab, MixedUpTease, HarleyNHS, JoAnn, Florida Cowgirl, Little Cow, Tuck, Hoofs In Motion, Ratts, Notyo, Apps4Life, Lash, Loranbama, Heart Felt Farms, LuckE, First String Farms, The Sugar Lady, Spring Storm, SCspots, Runnin'Colors & Heidi n Q!!! That's 47, how many you got?

Posted Image

#5 ozland

ozland

I'm an optimist. I think most people are half full of it.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45,196 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:52 AM

I have found with things like this, when nothing else works, squirting a little Penicillin directly into the wound after a good clean and flush will actually work. Using a small syringe with no needle, work it down inside the wound and give it about a 2cc 'wash'.

S'cuse me, gotta go iron my birthday suit.

For those who believe, no explanation is necessary.
For those who do not, no explanation will suffice.
.................Joseph Dunninger

Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling
a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist

#6 Avishay04

Avishay04

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:42 AM

If it's in your budget to do so, it might be worth it to take her to a local university or surgical clinic. They may be able to use a stain to better image the wound.

If not, sometimes it takes a very particular combination of antibiotics in a particular concentration. It may be that there is still wood in there, and it may be that shavings or dirt is just getting into the wound between flushings and irritating it. It's possible that she may need to have it opened back up, have the jellyfish stuff removed, and have the wound cauterized. It would be something of a last resort, but it certainly seems that you've tried everything else to help her, and cauterizing it, while nasty and painful, may ultimately be the best thing for her.
"I'll gladly take ten seconds in the saddle, for a lifetime of watching from the stands" - Chris LeDoux

"A lovely horse is always an experience.... It is an emotional experience of the kind that is spoiled by words." ~Beryl Markham

My ebay. Because I have a tack addiction lol http://myworld.ebay.com/shayandrosie

#7 kitten-kat

kitten-kat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,339 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:55 PM

"IF" you cant find anything in the wound, you might try equaide, it is a moving spot it might take time.. Otherwise I would keep trying to find what is still there, and get it out, then clean with Epsom salts, and surgical iodine, in warm water, (1 gallon water, 1 cup Epsom Salts, and 1/4 cup surgical iodine) this soothes and sterilizes the wound to keep bacteria out, the iodine will also help Dry out any gooey spots.. the equaide will heal it up really nice, and will also reduce the scarring that might develop. But I do agree, it does sound like something is still stuck in there.

Edited by kitten-kat, 04 April 2012 - 12:58 PM.

yes I am dyslexic, and no i dont have spell check anymore.. sorry..

Great place for Utah, and those Visitng Utah can come find a friend or a safe group, to ride with

https://www.facebook...ahtrailfriends/

Proudly Owned by "Daniel", an 04 Buckskin Tennuvian Gelding, and "Lrya", a beautiful little 2.5 year old  Buckskin Peruvian Paso filly.  Both bring a lot of joy and sanity to my life. I cant wait for the riding seasons..

Please Click On my Baby Dragon Eggs and Baby Dragons so they will grow up big and strong.

[/url]">PumKy.gif

#8 Nikki-HorseCityAdmin

Nikki-HorseCityAdmin

HorseCity Bouncer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,325 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:08 PM

Wow I'm so sorry! There's some good advice here. I would say that you should always keep in mind that very nasty soft-tissue injuries can sometimes take 12-18 months to heal since they have to do so from the inside out.

I'd keep her on a very good vitamin and mineral supplement to make sure she's getting the best nutrition for fight all of this.

Good luck!

#9 QueenBAW

QueenBAW

• Members
  • Pip
  • 485 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:13 PM

Ahhh, yes, I feel your pain! I have a very similar situation going on with my boyfriends pony. Back around Thanksgiving she came in one morning with a stick lodged in her hindquarters. Pulled the stick out (as advised by the vet) and the stick looked to have been in there about 3 inches. Did the whole flushing ordeal (with epsom salt water, twice a day), yadda yadda yadda, packed her up etc to find that the hole was much longer than 3 inches. Huge dose of Penicillen and a tetnus booster given followed by Uniprim for 7 days. She was completely lame for nearly a week and I thought I was going to have to put her down. She came back around, the wound healed and all was well for about a month. It blew open again, draining. Vet advised flushing with peroxide/betadine mix and so I did. Healed up again, everything was great...and about a month or so ago it opened back up and was draining like crazy. Took her over to my vet who was certain there must still be something in there. Found nothing, flushed, flushed, flushed the crap out of it and went another round with Penicillen. Today it is still draining some and still open. This time around it isnt healing as fast. She has never been lame after it healed the first time. I continue to wash with betadine. I talked to a horsey friend of mine in the area and told her about it and she said that she had this happen to a horse she had. Her gelding had taken a stick in his shoulder and the wound acted the same way my boyfriends ponys, except his busted open on the opposite side. She said yes that there had been a foreign body in there after all and it finally worked its way out after about 6 months!

Edited by QueenBAW, 05 April 2012 - 02:16 PM.

#10 Smilie

Smilie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,737 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:18 PM

As I think I might have posted before, but maybe not here, so bare with me if I'm repeating my experience.
Actually had two cases over the years where a foreign object had some fragment left behind, which of course acts like a resevoir for bacteria to start the entire flare up again, after you think the would is healing

First was with a two year old mare that was my jr show horse. She presented with a swollen fetlock, and not even an obvious point of entry, so that on the vet.'s advise I wrapped that foot with furacin sweats. I also had it ex -rayed. Nothing showed up. She was never lame on it. I would keep it wrapped before a class, but next day, if not wrapped would swell again.
Took her to another equine clinic where I was qouted $2000 to $3000 dollars to 'explore'
I decided to keep up the wrapping, as she was not lame. Bored yet? Anyway, lol and behold, about a year later a thin wood filament festered out and that fetlock never swelled again

Second one was Smilie. I went to Germany for a holiday. When I got back, my son told me she had a 'little sore on her rump.
Well the little sore was a big hole that was expelling rotten smelling exudate. I put her on antibiotics and flushed the wound with bedidine. It healed, but then went through cycles where it would break open again and drain
Took her back to the vet , who exsised the wound, so there were no hidden pockets left and he had clean margins-just as if you are removing a cancer.It healed and never opened or drained again.
Bottom line, either the foreign material , if left behind, has to fester out, or be removed , it will continue to be a seed for future infections. Soon as the antibiotics are stopped, as the wound is healed over, if stuff if left behind, there are also some bacteria that are left , as that object is not sterile and is foreign to the body, so will cause a reaction, just by that fact alone. Those few bacteria that escaped the antibiotics, hidden in that wood, where there is no circulation for the antibodies to reach them, they will again start to multipy, and the cycle starts all over again
Anyone with joint replacements, like me, know how vulnerable they are to any bacteria that might reach those artificial knees and hide out, as during a dental procedure, thus we have to take antibiotics before any dental work
I'm afraid that unless all that foreign material festers out on it's own,you will need someone to throughly excise that wound, before it will heal
Raising attractive , athletic Appaloosas, equally at home in the show ring and on the open trails
Cody Chrome Supreme member of the breed( superiors in trail,halter western pleasure hunter under saddle )
San Stone Image superiors in reining, western riding and trail
Miss Kilo Bright ApHC championship ROMs western pl, trail, HUS , hunter in hand, halter
A New Dimension three year old filly presently working with
Awarded With love 6 year old mare by Awarded, riding well and proven producer
Frankie hubby's senior trail horse
Rubix Hubby's jr trail horse
Dont Skip The Cadence by don't Skip This chip-three year old in training Sold
Mex , Dun Boy and Image, three yr old prospects

http://s335.photobuc...home/KiloBright

#11 princeandprincess

princeandprincess

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:20 AM

have you tried something like aminalintex poultice pads? i would be tempted to try taping those on, keeping more dirt out and that stuff can suck just about anything out.

#12 Serah Rose

Serah Rose

Ramblin Rose?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,842 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:30 PM

as my mom would say "My mom would say, 'Put some drawin` salve on that'"! (aka, gramma would say...)

Sorry, I'm of NO help, just have another anecdote for ya.

My gelding cut his pastern open just above his coronet band - vet came and stitched it up, left me to wrap it and came to remove stitches 10 ish days later. Wound seems to heal fine, but always had a weird puffy/scabby/drainy spot. Over a YEAR later, I clipped his leg for a show (had never clipped him before...) and used a #40 blade (I had never clipped before...LOL...I pinked his leg! whooops) and accidentally clipped the scabby part off. What was under that scabby part? A leftover stitch!! Pull it out and bam, a finally, 100% healed wound!

It's insane what the body tries to tell us!!
*Canter for the Cure*

http://www.etsy.com/...signByPorcupine - still need quills but have a few necklaces back in stock!

http://contributor.y...serah_rose.html my published articles

#13 SpottedTApps

SpottedTApps

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,868 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:09 AM

That's the thing, it HAS been opened back up and re-scrubed, debrided, etc.

He did put stain in when he x-rayed, he has top level equipment and facilities. He took 8 x-rays of her neck and they could find NOTHING.

What are the amanalintex pads? What do they do exactly? The wound is right in the center/side of her neck, not an easy place to keep any kind of dressing.
Spotted T Riding Blog

Posted Image

#14 Ardent

Ardent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:51 AM

Animalintex pads are usually used for abscesses. They help to draw out the infection.
Anne

Posted Image

Citrus: my giant orange boy

#15 kitten-kat

kitten-kat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,339 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:22 AM

I had a small piece of glass in my wrist for almost 10 years.. ex-rays and such never found it, one day it just worked its way out. It was nice to not re-open that small artery any more.. it might be a matter of wait and see what Pops out!

Great place for Utah, and those Visitng Utah can come find a friend or a safe group, to ride with

Proudly Owned by "Daniel", an 04 Buckskin Tennuvian Gelding, and "Lrya", a beautiful little 2.5 year old  Buckskin Peruvian Paso filly.  Both bring a lot of joy and sanity to my life. I cant wait for the riding seasons..

Please Click On my Baby Dragon Eggs and Baby Dragons so they will grow up big and strong.

[/url]">PumKy.gif

#16 ozland

ozland

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45,196 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:45 AM

Icthamol would work for drawing too. It's nasty but it works. You can actually pack it into the wound, slap a gauze pad over it, and run a strip of duck tape to hold in place for as long as it will stick.

#17 Cactus Rose

Cactus Rose

Mountain Trail Rider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,563 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:29 PM

I think you reach a point where you've probably got to stop cutting stuff open and try and let the body do it's thing.....with the aid of keeping your four way shots up to date.

I know that's tough - cause that draining yellow/white crap running down the horse's neck is nasty.

A friend of mine had a stud attack one of his geldings and force it into a fence post. Same same. On the neck.

If you have a choice (of course we don't)......glass or metal would be better because it's not breaking down vegetative matter.

Wood is a terrible porous foreign thing to have inside a living body.

My friend had the vet pull and cut crap out of that horse for more than six months.

Eventually they stopped finding anything big enough to see - but the wound kept draining, particularly during exercise when muscle movement seemed to help press the crap out of the opening.

You may find yourself in the same boat - short of major dissective surgery.

ETA: I would be tempted to keep the wound clean and OPEN - rather than having any covering on it because of the fairly high possibility that there is still a teeny tiny shard or hair of further wood fibres inside......and treat with antibiotics intramuscularly or with a salve.

Edited by Cactus Rose, 16 April 2012 - 12:35 PM.

♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ Shut Up & Enjoy The Music ! ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥♥♫♫♫♫♫♫♫

#18 SpottedTApps

SpottedTApps

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,868 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:54 PM

Well the wound keeps itself open, about the size of my pinky. It drains and we flush it with water daily and clean her neck/shoulder. It is just a pain and time consuming.

I picked up some itchtamol this weekend and will try that this week. I just don't see a gauze sticking on with the drainage, but we'll try. lol. I'll try anything. LeSigh.
Spotted T Riding Blog

Posted Image

#19 kitten-kat

kitten-kat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,339 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:35 PM

I would shave all around the wound about 6 inches, if you haven't already, this will do a few things, it will keep any drainage leaving the wound area, then I would take advantage of the shaved area to stick tape to, you can also shave the whole drainage path, so that it wont cause the skin to get irritated. you can stuff it with the gauze with the medication on it, then use duct tape to cover it that way!! That way you can have a closer tape area to the wound, a pack with the medication your using, (which will need 1-2 times a day changing) and it will also give what drainage there is a place to go that will be easier to clean.. I feel bad for your horse, but I am sure it will be fine.

[/url]">PumKy.gif

#20 oneforhealth

oneforhealth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:13 AM

Even though I'll put this in the explanation, it will need to be stated again... This horse is under veterinary care.

In October one of my mares cut/impaled her neck with a broken fence board (caused by a boarder's horse) creating a lovely wound. The entry wound was probably 3" however, you could fit your hand under her skin due to the depth of the wound. After cleaning and care for about 3 weeks it had healed to the point of a hole that drained continuously. Twice daily flushing has been a part of chores since the day of the wound.

Since it wasn't healing properly, she was hauled in and the vet found a quarter sized chunk of wood and removed, sent us home with instructions to flush (duh) and we left. 2-3 weeks later, no change. Vet was out with ultrasound, located another chunk of wood about dime sized, re-opened wound, cut 2 new large holes and left a very sore pony. (who has been a saint through this whole thing)

2-3 weeks later STILL no change, still bad draining, back to vet for X-ray. Vet was unable to find any foreign bodies and gave me special, new to market meds, to use when flushing. (in the process of all of this there is something that keeps trying to squeeze out. It is the consistancy of a jelly fish, but is obviously a fixed object as I can't actually get it out)

2 weeks later, wound has healed except for small opening from which to drain. And flush. And drain. New special meds don't work. Haul her in again, vet palpates, says it just needs to heal.

Brings us to 4 weeks or so ago. BACK to vet because stupid dumb wound won't heal. Horsey was never in pain really, can palpate, never lame, only sore when new cuts put into neck.... I even competed on her.

Vet suggests opening wound BACK up and starting fresh. OK. Vet cuts ugly cut that I won't watch happen and finds inside a fist sized chunk of ugly looking flesh that is "floating" in hole, attached by a lifeline to the body. He cuts it out and sends in for biopsy. Fills hole with soaked gauze hoping to catch any debree that may be in body still.

3 days later back for checkup, looks good, leaves gauze. 2 days later back and pulls gauze out. Biopsy comes back neg for cancer or anything else. Assumption is that there was a sliver of wood and the body built up around it to protect, the sliver disintegrating.

So here we are today. The horrible, deep cut has healed over... except for a hole (Do I sound redundant?) and it continues to drain. I can still flush a LARGE amount of liquid in the hole. Again we have the jellyfish consistency stuff inside the hole.

I am on 6 months of this stupid wound and at my wits end. It adds minimum 10 minutes on to my chores each time.

I've used so many different types of meds, flushes, antibiotics etc over this and nothing is working.

Anyone run accross this before?

I have a message into my vet with the current status and am waiting to hear back.

#21 oneforhealth

oneforhealth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:29 AM

It sounds nasty. I read in a a paper by Department of Surgery and Radiology - College of Veterinary and Animal Sciences
that Seabuckthorn has excellent wound healing properties naturally.

Have you tried Beaueqione Feed Supplement which is made from 100% natural Seabuckthorn Pulp, Seed Oil and leaf extract.

#22 SpottedTApps

SpottedTApps

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,868 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:26 AM

Wait until you guys see this! Don't scroll if you are squeemish.

It's been roughly 8 months. I had an appointment to haul Ruby in next week to open and cauterize the wound since vet and I have tried everything.

Friday night I did chores, first and last part of chores for 8 months is to bring Ruby in, clean neck while doing other chores and turn her out. When I caught her I immediately noticed the neck wasn't right. It had a huge lump.

Upon palpation I felt something very solid, about an inch in diameter and 6 inches long! I almost hyperventilated, thinking it must be a bone that had been fractured and the body rejected it. Called vet and hauled in for an emergency visit. Vet on call had not seen neck, vet who owns the office has been dealing with it.

She cut it open and dug in.

Posted Image

Immediately pulled THIS out of her neck!!!!!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

That's it! a 6" peice of wood from the fence has been stuck in her neck for 8 months! I think the vets have seen her 15 times? We've exrayed, ultrasounded, cut open, palpated, flushed, antibioticed.... and just one day, there it is.

Now she is on antibiotics and stitched up again. Already I have less drainage than before. Pray that this is the end guys. I can't take much more of this.

Posted Image

Oh and 2 weeks ago Ruby was on the HC camping trip, riding through the hills with that in her neck. Never has she had a problem with it.

Posted Image

Edited by SpottedTApps, 29 May 2012 - 09:30 AM.

Spotted T Riding Blog

Posted Image

#23 ..::Felda::..

..::Felda::..

.:Felda:.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,949 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:53 AM

Well, I was going to suggest you still had something in there! Even with all the fancy radioactive dyes and stuff that you can use to enhance xrays, if they don't get to the intended target, you won't light 'em up. This happened to a friend's colt. After months of dealing with the same stuff you have, they had to haul him to a surgeon who went in and explored his flank area. He found two quarter sized pieces of wood as well. They still had a few bumps after that, but the wound did close up with a month with constant flushing of some antiobio mix he gave them.

oneforhealth-why do you recommend Beauequine Feed Supplement for everything? If it was that good, wouldn't EVERYBODY with a horse be using it?
Is it possible to stay on topic to what the thread is about? Or has the population become so distracted it must resort to addressing every little allusion thus changing the direction of this thread and losing the topic? Have we lost the ability to recognize this problem and just start a new topic if the oppportunity arises? Please do so now if you feel so inclined to seek attention.

Phoenix: 2001 BLM Mustang

#24 SpottedTApps

SpottedTApps

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,868 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 11:32 AM

Oh I totally know, we've all been saying all along that there has got to be something in there still. Just after 8 months we were at our wits end.
Spotted T Riding Blog

Posted Image

#25 Nikki-HorseCityAdmin

Nikki-HorseCityAdmin

HorseCity Bouncer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,325 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 11:57 AM

oneforhealth-why do you recommend Beauequine Feed Supplement for everything? If it was that good, wouldn't EVERYBODY with a horse be using it?

The obvious solicitation by this user was addressed a few weeks ago. If it continues please let me know. :winking:

#26 kitten-kat

kitten-kat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,339 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 02:08 PM

I am so glad it was found and removed.. that looks uncomfy to say the least.. I hope it heals up fine this time with no complications

[/url]">PumKy.gif

#27 Wonderish

Wonderish

Princess :)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 02:46 PM

Ouch!!!!!! Im glad you got it out, hopefully all!

At the TB barn I worked at the same thing happened to one of the mares, but in her mouth. It was nasty
An eternity is forever, and forever with you would be a dream come true.

#28 Ardent

Ardent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:52 PM

That is impressive!! I figured something had to be in there, but I was thinking a little splinter, not a freakin' stick. Wow. It's crazy that something that big didn't bother her.
Anne

Posted Image

Citrus: my giant orange boy

#29 journeysgirl

journeysgirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,615 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:58 PM

holy ouch!!! No wonder it wouldn't heal.

1c958838-4475-4695-b61d-b8ec73e28191_zps

If at first you don't succeed, do it the way your wife told you to.
The winds of heaven blow between my horses ears (Arab proverb)
Everyday you are unhappy is a whole day wasted not being happy.
Eff em and feed em fishheads!

Member of the "I met a board buddy club" : MarsCandyBar, Apps4life, Appyluver, Snowyhorse, Greenhaven

#30 ozland

ozland

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45,196 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:55 PM

Hope she's all better soon. I do know what a trial something like that can be.