10 replies to this topic

#1 Pony Jumper

Pony Jumper

Never too old for ponies

• Members
  • Pip
  • 153 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:54 PM

I've been using thrush buster for a very long time (5 years). It usually seems to do a good job until this year. We have been having a pretty wet year and maybe I'm just expecting more than usual but I was considering Coppertox. Has anyone had any luck with it?
Once an 100 pound girl learns she can controll an 1,000 pound horse, the world is hers for the taking.

#2 Trinity

Trinity

Steampunk!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,779 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:33 PM

Hate coppertox...

Ive been scrubbing frogs after picking the feet with soapy Dawn dishsoap water mixed up in a spray bottle.

After the foot is clean, I have been having good luck varying between Thrushbuster and No Thrush http://www.nothrushshop.com/index.html

Edited by Trinity, 07 April 2012 - 07:33 PM.

Posted Image

I met a board buddy! NCtrailgirl, Dam Yankee, Dixie Belle, loverofhorses36, sappy, tequilaskye, BlueSkyeTraveler, Nara17, edenn3583, brlracer624, KatyB, glm0711, BellaLuna

Horse lovers are stable people

#3 Pony Jumper

Pony Jumper

Never too old for ponies

• Members
  • Pip
  • 153 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:47 PM

Hate coppertox...

Ive been scrubbing frogs after picking the feet with soapy Dawn dishsoap water mixed up in a spray bottle.

After the foot is clean, I have been having good luck varying between Thrushbuster and No Thrush http://www.nothrushshop.com/index.html

Hmm i've never heard of that but it sounds inexpensive considering there is dawn in my kitchen right now... Is there any directions you could give me?
Once an 100 pound girl learns she can controll an 1,000 pound horse, the world is hers for the taking.

#4 Trinity

Trinity

Steampunk!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,779 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:59 PM

Just mix a good teaspoon or so of dawn dishsoap in a spray bottle and fill it up with water so its soapy. after you pick the foot out, spray the frog and commissures well and scrub with a hoof pick brush. Spray it again with the soapy water to rinse. No need to rinse off the soap, just get the poo and dirt off. A spray bottle will blast crud out of flaps and cracks.

Let it drip dry a min or pat dry with a rag and then apply your thrushbuster or No thrush. I pick and scrub at least once a day sometimes twice if I have a problem in trying to get ahead of.

Edited by Trinity, 07 April 2012 - 10:01 PM.

Posted Image

I met a board buddy! NCtrailgirl, Dam Yankee, Dixie Belle, loverofhorses36, sappy, tequilaskye, BlueSkyeTraveler, Nara17, edenn3583, brlracer624, KatyB, glm0711, BellaLuna

#5 Pony Jumper

Pony Jumper

Never too old for ponies

• Members
  • Pip
  • 153 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 10:19 AM

I just tried that a minute ago, thanks for the tip!

#6 Avishay04

Avishay04

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:32 PM

I've honestly never had much luck with either Thrush Buster or Koppertox. I'd been told numerous times that straight up bleach worked wonders, but I had always worried that it was too harsh. Then I had a particularly stubborn case of thrush in one of my elderly horse's hind feed - it had been months, but it just wouldn't go away because he chronically stood in his pee spot. So I asked my farrier what he recommended, and he said bleach was the way to go. Clean feet daily, brush them out, and apply bleach with a spray bottle. Once a day for 5 days, and then once or twice a week until it cleared up. I did as he suggested, and the foot healed up after just 10 days or so. I've since tried it on other horses, and it always works and has never harmed the foot.
"I'll gladly take ten seconds in the saddle, for a lifetime of watching from the stands" - Chris LeDoux

"A lovely horse is always an experience.... It is an emotional experience of the kind that is spoiled by words." ~Beryl Markham

My ebay. Because I have a tack addiction lol http://myworld.ebay.com/shayandrosie

#7 kitten-kat

kitten-kat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,351 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:07 AM

Rather Thrushbuster, it stains but the smell doesn't make me feel like i just walked out of a chemical factory.. and Coppertox always seems to take so much to get off your hands, I have to wear surgical gloves when using it.. I prefer not. as is currently thrushbuster isn't working, so am looking into different affordable remedy.. Daniel has never been unsound, so it doesn't " Seem " to bother him.. but I will be putting down some AG Lime this year to neutralize my paddock, and then hopefully neutralize any of the bacteria causing the repeated infections.
yes I am dyslexic, and no i dont have spell check anymore.. sorry.. Great place for Utah, and those Visitng Utah can come find a friend or a safe group, to ride withhttps://www.facebook...ahtrailfriends/ Proudly Owned by "Daniel", an Awesome 15hh 04 Buckskin Tennuvian Gelding, and "Mage" a Handsome 15.3hh 05 Black and White Tobiano Missouri Fox Trotter gelding.

#8 Trinity

Trinity

Steampunk!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,779 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:42 AM

Kitten brings up a good point. Its important that the area the horse stands is condusive to forging a good foot. Interestingly enough, horse poop is worse than urine for damaging feet according to my studies, so make sure to keep the poo bits picked up and picked out of the foot.
Posted Image

#9 Pony Jumper

Pony Jumper

Never too old for ponies

• Members
  • Pip
  • 153 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:15 PM

Hey Trinity, I was wondering if you could help me again? I used your idea and the thrush is COMPLETELY gone today! (Thanks a ton!) but I was cleaning his feet today and noticed the outer part of the sole was picking off... It was bad in one foot (about to post pics), cracked in another, and fine in the other two. I put him in the round pen and he was definitely 100% sound, he actually wanted to go. Is this anything I should be worried about? I put some Thrush Buster on it but I'm not sure how much that helped... Any input is great!

Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 Trinity

Trinity

Steampunk!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,779 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:24 PM

What you have there is just exfoliating sole. Totally normal. All horses soles exfoliate. if they do not, that is how you get false sole build up. I scratch it out with the hoof pick or my hoof knife when I find it or go for a long trail ride and that usually sloughs it pretty clean. Nothing to worry about :)
Posted Image

#11 Pony Jumper

Pony Jumper

Never too old for ponies

• Members
  • Pip
  • 153 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:01 PM

Thank you so much! You are great! That just saved me worrying and a vet bill... A thousand thanks, you are the hoof whisperer!