• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 QHriderKE

QHriderKE

• Members
  • Pip
  • 302 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:03 PM

I'm training a 4 year old right now, and I'm bit shopping for her. I really want to get away from the nutcraker ickyness off a plain snaffle for barrel training (plus I only have 1 snaffle and 3 colts to start this Spring...) She has a really soft mouth and likes to chomp on the bit like crazy when she get's excited, so something with roller or something would give her something to play with.

I've tried a few shanked bits, and found them to be like they're too heavy for her.

Here are sone bits I've been looking at:

Reinsman Copper Roller

Myler Dee with Hooks

AHE Dogbone

AHE Gag

banner_zpse707670a.jpg

#2 barrelgal98

barrelgal98

Barrel Racer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 270 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 11:03 PM

I like the looks of the reinsman and the AHE gag. They would both give your horse something to play with (especially the reinsman) but I think you'd get a nice response with both of them. I've found a lot of success with my barrel horse with three piece bits and he's really bad for chomping on the bit after I pull. Do you know of anyone who you could borrow a bit at least really similar to these and try your horse in them??? I do that a bit and it's really useful.

#3 Cowgirl_Jess

Cowgirl_Jess

• Members
  • Pip
  • 165 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:35 PM

Do you know of anyone who you could borrow a bit at least really similar to these and try your horse in them??? I do that a bit and it's really useful.

I agree. It took me a while before I was finally able to find a bit that my Mare worked well in. I was fortunate enough to have an understanding Tack Shop in town. As long as the bits were clean, she would let me take it back within a reasonable amount of time if it didn't work out. It might be worth talking with some of your local tack shops and stores about their return policy too.

"I am who I truly am when I'm in the saddle."

#4 MarsCandyBar

MarsCandyBar

Boiler for Life - Loyalty Lives Here

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,884 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:27 PM

I can't tell, does the last one you posted have the lifesaver ring in the middle or is it a single jointed snaffle?

I ride my gelding in the 3 piece lifesaver version and I LOVE, repeat, LOVE it. He has a very soft mouth, we moved to this from a 3 piece happy mouth loose ring snaffle. What I like is I have better lift through his shoulder in this bit. He is very happy in it.

He is also mouthy on the bit, so I wrapped on either side of the mouth piece with sealtex for padding and that quieted down his mouthyness a lot on it.
*~*Mars*~*

"Life is too short to wake up with regrets. So love the people who treat you right. Forget about the one's who don't. Believe everything happens for a reason. If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands. If it changes your life, let it. Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it."

"Have faith in yourself, and reach for the sky. Have courage to show that you care. Leave footprints behind. Keep stars in your eyes. Build palaces high in the air. Seek happiness first. Go after the best. Try traveling paths that are new. Just follow your dreams. Find beauty in life. Aspire to love what you do."

#5 azure.tripaces

azure.tripaces

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:42 AM

I am in a similar situation with my filly right now. She is coming 4 this spring and has been under saddle for almost 2 years. I want to start her on the pattern but she is still really struggling with bending/flexing/softening. Someone had told me to try her in a sweet six. Right now she's in a weighted loose ring snaffle. Any thoughts?

#6 QHriderKE

QHriderKE

• Members
  • Pip
  • 302 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:30 AM

*shrug*

I did all of my girls flexing/bending work in a d ring snaffle... I like to keep it as simple as possible for the young 'uns.

banner_zpse707670a.jpg

#7 MarsCandyBar

MarsCandyBar

Boiler for Life - Loyalty Lives Here

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,884 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:58 AM

I am in a similar situation with my filly right now. She is coming 4 this spring and has been under saddle for almost 2 years. I want to start her on the pattern but she is still really struggling with bending/flexing/softening. Someone had told me to try her in a sweet six. Right now she's in a weighted loose ring snaffle. Any thoughts?

When you say struggling what do you mean? Is she moving forward well out of her hind end and being worked back to front not front to back? Has she been given a clean bill of health from a dentist as well as a chiropractor?

I don't like to move out of a basic 2 or 3 piece snaffle until I have good bend, flex, and stop. All of this starts with your body not with your hands. Moving the shoulders, hips, and rib cage are the beginning of good bend and flex. A horse doesn't turn a barrel with his head, he turns it with his body. If you have control over the shoulders and hips, the head will follow.
*~*Mars*~*

"Life is too short to wake up with regrets. So love the people who treat you right. Forget about the one's who don't. Believe everything happens for a reason. If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands. If it changes your life, let it. Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it."

"Have faith in yourself, and reach for the sky. Have courage to show that you care. Leave footprints behind. Keep stars in your eyes. Build palaces high in the air. Seek happiness first. Go after the best. Try traveling paths that are new. Just follow your dreams. Find beauty in life. Aspire to love what you do."