27 replies to this topic

#1 Demon's Mom

Demon's Mom

Scavenger!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,430 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:36 AM

There is a bill coming up for vote today, I believe, in Tn for a slaughter plant to be opened. I just had someone email me asking me to help stop that and I want to be able to give them some websites that have statistics and real information. I've tried doing a search here but don't really have the time since I'm at work to do a lot of research.

Would the wonderful people here that are in the know give me some links to help me get the real picture out as to what is happening to horses and why we need the plants opened back up?

Paula

RIP, Gone but never forgotten!
Ethan Kyle Daugherty, the most wonderful son in the entire world. I miss you!! October 13, 1991 - March 19, 2002
Proud mom of:
Demon, Taz 
Board buddies: QHridinGA, Loranbama, DustyGirl(Char), CassienChey, Pokeysgirl, BB Blue, SmokeyJoe, Littlebayroan, Cowgirlartist, Tuper, Pinebarsissy, Hastflicka, Draftiemama, Foreverinbluegenes, SpottedTapps, Shelley Carter, Rockabillygal, Flequus, Poldi. MixedUpTease, Harley, JoAnn, FloridaCowgirl, Lash, Tuck, HoofsInMotion, Rattusratt, Notyo, HFF, Apps4Life  Apps4Wife. LTR, Cactus Rose, BarnBarb831, TheSugarLady, Theo, Spring Storm

#2 KatyB

KatyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,814 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:24 AM

I think it is quite arrogant to assume that anyone opposing these plants in my state is unaware of the facts. I am against these plants, as proposed, in my state. I doubt you can provide me with anything that I don't already know about slaughter, horses, etc. Just because I don't reach the same conclusion as you have reached doesn't mean that I am lacking information.

You can lobby for what you'd like to happen in your community. I am absolutely against this in mine.

Edited by KatyB, 09 April 2012 - 09:25 AM.

Katy
enjoying every day!
Posted Image

#3 Sayge

Sayge

Monster Tamer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,358 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:58 AM

Uh, KatyB, just like you Demon's Mom is in TN. So I am pretty sure she understands the people in this state also.

eta:

DM, I have had a local lady emailing me and sending me messages about this on FB. Wonder if it is the same person?

Edited by Sayge, 09 April 2012 - 09:59 AM.

Owned by:

Tilly Monster- 10 yr old North American Spotted Draft
Kisser Lou- 9 yr old MFT cross

Banjo- 7 yr old Spotted Draft
Yoko Oh No!- 3 yr old Australian Shepherd
Ming Ling- 1 yr old Boston Terrier cross

Jefe and Pepe- Black headed caiques 

#4 eeyore4176

eeyore4176

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,191 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:42 AM

DM - have you checked with Andi? That would be my first contact to try and get factual information websites.
Board buddies I've met: Doublelhorses, Trail-Rider, DeLucky2, blaze1, HorseLuvrinIL

#5 KatyB

KatyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,814 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:50 AM

While there may be people who are sending out facebook messages without any real understanding of this bill and its ramifications, everyone I know involved in this is intimately aware of the horse situation in TN, as well as well versed in all of the aspects of horse slaughter that pertain to this particular bill. I don't automatically assume that anyone who is pro-slaughter is ignorant of the issues, and I'd appreciate the same consideration.
Katy
enjoying every day!
Posted Image

#6 Demon's Mom

Demon's Mom

Scavenger!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,430 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:51 AM

It is someone I work with Sayge so I don't know could be.

Yes I am in Tn. I am having a discussion with a person that I work with who does not know much if anything about the horse market or slaughter. So yes there are people that are against horse slaughter that only sees "horse slaughter" not the real picture of the rescues being full and horses starving. I am trying to educate a non-horse person not necessarily change their opinion. If they change their mind after seeing actual facts then fine, if they don't then fine too. Its their opinion but I think it needs to be an informed opinion.

Katy I respect your opinion on this issue and I don't have any problems with horse people who know what is going on being anti slaughter. I never said you or anyone on this board was uniformed. What I do have a problem with is people that think "Oh look at the pretty horsies" and don't realize all the responsibilities and costs associated with the care of horses.

All I wanted was to be able to share some information with other people not on this board to help educate so that they can make an INFORMED opinion on where they stand on horse slaughter.

And I think its quite arrogant for you to assume I was talking about you and trying to change your views and opinions when all I asked for was some links to help educate someone that sent an email to me. Do you know every person in Tn and their views on horse slaughter? If you do then you need to help educate them because Yes there are many people in your/our state of Tn that are misinformed or have very little information.

Paula

Ethan Kyle Daugherty, the most wonderful son in the entire world. I miss you!! October 13, 1991 - March 19, 2002
Proud mom of:
Demon, Taz 
Board buddies: QHridinGA, Loranbama, DustyGirl(Char), CassienChey, Pokeysgirl, BB Blue, SmokeyJoe, Littlebayroan, Cowgirlartist, Tuper, Pinebarsissy, Hastflicka, Draftiemama, Foreverinbluegenes, SpottedTapps, Shelley Carter, Rockabillygal, Flequus, Poldi. MixedUpTease, Harley, JoAnn, FloridaCowgirl, Lash, Tuck, HoofsInMotion, Rattusratt, Notyo, HFF, Apps4Life  Apps4Wife. LTR, Cactus Rose, BarnBarb831, TheSugarLady, Theo, Spring Storm

#7 ozland

ozland

I'm an optimist. I think most people are half full of it.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45,280 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:53 AM

Carlofab posted a pretty good list of info on the debate board a couple days ago for someone doing a school paper.

S'cuse me, gotta go iron my birthday suit.

For those who believe, no explanation is necessary.
For those who do not, no explanation will suffice.
.................Joseph Dunninger

Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling
a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist

#8 Demon's Mom

Demon's Mom

Scavenger!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,430 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:55 AM

eeyore no I haven't checked with Andi. Guess I should have done that via PM and not posted since it seems like I hit a nerve here just asking for some links to help educate.

Paula

Proud mom of:
Demon, Taz 

#9 Demon's Mom

Demon's Mom

Scavenger!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,430 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:55 AM

Thanks Oz I'll do a search there when I have a few minutes.

Paula

Proud mom of:
Demon, Taz 

#10 KatyB

KatyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,814 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:00 AM

It is someone I work with Sayge so I don't know could be.

Yes I am in Tn. I am having a discussion with a person that I work with who does not know much if anything about the horse market or slaughter. So yes there are people that are against horse slaughter that only sees "horse slaughter" not the real picture of the rescues being full and horses starving. I am trying to educate a non-horse person not necessarily change their opinion. If they change their mind after seeing actual facts then fine, if they don't then fine too. Its their opinion but I think it needs to be an informed opinion.

Katy I respect your opinion on this issue and I don't have any problems with horse people who know what is going on being anti slaughter. I never said you or anyone on this board was uniformed. What I do have a problem with is people that think "Oh look at the pretty horsies" and don't realize all the responsibilities and costs associated with the care of horses.

All I wanted was to be able to share some information with other people not on this board to help educate so that they can make an INFORMED opinion on where they stand on horse slaughter.

And I think its quite arrogant for you to assume I was talking about you and trying to change your views and opinions when all I asked for was some links to help educate someone that sent an email to me. Do you know every person in Tn and their views on horse slaughter? If you do then you need to help educate them because Yes there are many people in your/our state of Tn that are misinformed or have very little information.

Yes, there are. I am just as pissy (sorry about that - it's one of those days) with the people with whom I agree who make assumptions that people with different opinions just don't have the facts. Caring, compassionate, and educated people do come down on both sides of this issue.

I did not think you were talking about me, personally, because I am not sending out any facebook messages. While I will post links to articles on my page, I think that bombarding people with unsolicited information is off-putting and ineffective.

I certainly agree with you on the "pretty horsies" people. I think some people get so bogged down in feeling sad for the horses, they don't bother taking any action. The horses don't need our pity; the things they need are more tangible than that.

So, I'm off to deliver my foster filly to HHT, so she is around for adoption day this weekend. That might explain my mood.
Katy
enjoying every day!
Posted Image

#11 Sayge

Sayge

Monster Tamer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,358 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:17 AM

Kind of on a side note here, sorry DM. KatyB, how far west does HHT help with rescuing? Might have some rescue horses in the Savannah, TN area looking for a place pretty soon.

Owned by:

#12 Demon's Mom

Demon's Mom

Scavenger!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,430 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:29 AM

Katy I really have no problem with either side of this coin and yes educated/well informed people do come down on both sides. I just want people to make an educated decision so that horses don't have to suffer from our ignorance. I think you and I think alike on some things but we differ on our opinion on slaughter and I'm fine with that. I really wish there was another solution to it but with all the rescues full and no where for the horses to go??? Where does that leave them? I'm serious, if there is another solution where the horses don't suffer bring it on, change my mind.

I really hope your filly finds a wonderful home. I've been keeping up with her when you post and I love that you can do that. I don't have the time/$$/facilities to do that. Wish I had the resources to do more than I do but taking care of my 4 the best I can is all I can do.

Paula

Proud mom of:
Demon, Taz 

#13 Demon's Mom

Demon's Mom

Scavenger!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,430 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:32 AM

Sayge, no problem. If my thread can help a horse or other animal it can be sidetracked/hijacked all over!!

Paula

Proud mom of:
Demon, Taz 

#14 KatyB

KatyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,814 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:44 PM

Kind of on a side note here, sorry DM. KatyB, how far west does HHT help with rescuing? Might have some rescue horses in the Savannah, TN area looking for a place pretty soon.

My understanding is that HHT will go anywhere in TN, but the relationship with law enforcement has to be in place for it to work. Any seizure/legal charges have to come from law enforcement; HHT just provides care for the animals after they are removed. My foster is from Memphis.
Katy
enjoying every day!
Posted Image

#15 KatyB

KatyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,814 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:49 PM

Katy I really have no problem with either side of this coin and yes educated/well informed people do come down on both sides. I just want people to make an educated decision so that horses don't have to suffer from our ignorance. I think you and I think alike on some things but we differ on our opinion on slaughter and I'm fine with that. I really wish there was another solution to it but with all the rescues full and no where for the horses to go??? Where does that leave them? I'm serious, if there is another solution where the horses don't suffer bring it on, change my mind.

I really hope your filly finds a wonderful home. I've been keeping up with her when you post and I love that you can do that. I don't have the time/$$/facilities to do that. Wish I had the resources to do more than I do but taking care of my 4 the best I can is all I can do.

I think that knowing your limits is how you avoid being part of the problem. I constantly remind myself that self control is what sets me apart from the hoarders. I want to "save" so many, but I have to realize my limits, and not just what they are today, but what they might be next year.

I'm a fan of euthanasia. HHT offers a program for people who can't afford to euth their own horses. Another program we developed while I was on the board was castration assistance. I want to see less breeding (lots less breeding). I really don't mind slaughter as I have seen it done in some other countries. There's a video, which was put forth by some animal right's group, showing slaughter somewhere in the UK, I think. The horse was led into a stall and shot with a rifle. The stall was cleaned before another horse was led in. It isn't the dying part that bothers me at all. I just don't think we can do large scale horse slaughter here in a way that is both profitable and humane. That is just my opinion. I am no longer on the board of HHT, and I am speaking only for myself, not representing the organization at all.
Katy
enjoying every day!
Posted Image

#16 Sayge

Sayge

Monster Tamer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,358 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:30 PM

My understanding is that HHT will go anywhere in TN, but the relationship with law enforcement has to be in place for it to work. Any seizure/legal charges have to come from law enforcement; HHT just provides care for the animals after they are removed. My foster is from Memphis.

It was through the Hardin County Sheriff Dept. I guess they have it all worked out though. They gave the guy 24 hours to get them to the vet or find them new homes. He managed to find them all places to go. They are keeping a close eye on them though. My dad said they were the skinniest horses he had ever seen that were still alive (he works for the Sheriffs Dept). Thanks for your reply. Hopefully these new homes will treat them right and they won't have to be rescued again.

Owned by:

#17 KatyB

KatyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,814 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:33 AM

It was through the Hardin County Sheriff Dept. I guess they have it all worked out though. They gave the guy 24 hours to get them to the vet or find them new homes. He managed to find them all places to go. They are keeping a close eye on them though. My dad said they were the skinniest horses he had ever seen that were still alive (he works for the Sheriffs Dept). Thanks for your reply. Hopefully these new homes will treat them right and they won't have to be rescued again.

That is a good outcome. I hope they will follow up on the new homes, since refeeding can be a little tricky when they are that thin.

HHT/Loudon Co. got 15 indictments yesterday in a case that has been dragging on forever. I think six of the horses were yearling colts when they came in; well, now they are two-year-old stallions. Talk about a management problem. I'm hoping they'll have permission to geld next week. These hoarding type cases are something different. I'm not sure how you prevent them before they get to that level.
Katy
enjoying every day!
Posted Image

#18 KatyB

KatyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,814 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:07 AM

Oh, and the vote was rolled to next Monday.
Katy
enjoying every day!
Posted Image

#19 Andi

Andi

Exalted Henchman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,872 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:06 AM

Maybe y'all are talking about a different vote but the one *I* am thinking of is the vote that says the AR's can't tie up a bunch of money and courts with frivolous law suits against slaughter houses and if they do, it will cost THEM to do so, instead of costing the taxpayers. I'll find the one I'm talking about and will link it here.

And I don't give a rat's patootie which side you are on; if you give a darn about HORSES, you should be on the HUMANE TREATMENT side, which is NOT what is going on now and stopping slaughter here is NOT going to accomplish that. And I am so sick and tired of American's thinking they are so holier than thou to think WE can tell other countries that THEY can't slaughter horses either. The shipping of horses over the borders for slaughter WILL NOT STOP, EVER. I don't care how many bills you pass or laws you write. Keeping it in OUR borders with OUR horses and OUR regulations, which are the strictest and highest standards in the WORLD is, IMHO, the *only* way to go.

Andi

Check out my photography!
LC Ranch Photography

Or follow me on Facebook!

Facebook Page

~~~~~~~~~~
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."
~Thomas Jefferson

Butterfly farts stink!

I've met board buddies! The Bun, rwdodgerblue, mydakota, quarters 'n' paints, desperate horsewife, audrey mae, mrs, rodentra, Quartermutt, HeGotSpots, MondaesMom, Quarterflash, Quincy's Keeper, Tazzin, Buck, Buddyroo, Diamond Jake, Miz Parker, BarnBoss, Apps4Life, redneckcowgirlmn, megs

siggysmall2_zps8cc35042.jpg

#20 KatyB

KatyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,814 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:13 AM

That portion of the bill will be removed, Andi, as even the sponsor realizes it is unconstitutional to require a 20% bond in order to protest a slaughterhouse being built in your town. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, as I am to mine, but that is how it comes out, legally.

I certainly don't feel that I have the right to tell other countries how they should handle this issue. I oppose this legislation in my state, and you can support it in yours.
Katy
enjoying every day!
Posted Image

#21 Andi

Andi

Exalted Henchman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,872 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:19 AM

OK, the way I read it is it would encourage slaughter facilities by discouraging lawsuits:

TheTennessee legislatureis considering a bill that would "encourage" the location of horse slaughterhouses and processing plants in Tennessee.
The bill would also make it difficult for citizens who live near the proposed slaughterhouse sites to challenge them in court.
The bill's House sponsor, Rep. Andy Holt, R-Dresden, said he sees it as both a jobs bill and one that's more compassionate because horses sent to slaughter now are transported to slaughterhouses in Canada and Mexico, where the closest plants are currently located.

But an array of opponents -- including humane associations and real estate executives -- say equine slaughterhouses have a long history of animal cruelty, polluting their communities and hurting property values.

The link: TN News

Andi

LC Ranch Photography

Facebook Page

~~~~~~~~~~
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."
~Thomas Jefferson

Butterfly farts stink!

I've met board buddies! The Bun, rwdodgerblue, mydakota, quarters 'n' paints, desperate horsewife, audrey mae, mrs, rodentra, Quartermutt, HeGotSpots, MondaesMom, Quarterflash, Quincy's Keeper, Tazzin, Buck, Buddyroo, Diamond Jake, Miz Parker, BarnBoss, Apps4Life, redneckcowgirlmn, megs

#22 Andi

Andi

Exalted Henchman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,872 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:23 AM

I am supporting it in mine, thanks. I care more for the horses and their well being than some folks do and have more of a realistic outlook on the livestock industry as a whole than some folks.

And I think frivolous lawsuits are crap and SHOULD cost the ones who do them a bond. Because the crap they do have nothing to do with the humanity and everything to do with their pockets. Most of those who protest these things wouldn't know humanity if it jumped up and slapped them in the face.

Andi

LC Ranch Photography

Facebook Page

~~~~~~~~~~
~Thomas Jefferson

Butterfly farts stink!

#23 KatyB

KatyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,814 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:32 AM

Well, the Constitution doesn't support your position. You can lobby to change that, if you'd like.

HB 3620 was pulled this morning. Obviously, Tennesseans aren't supporting this bill, as written, in our state.

While you reach a different conclusion than I do, Andi, I don't disparage your contributions, and I'd appreciate if you would not dismiss mine. I am certainly doing my part, in my community, to act on my beliefs. Again, disagreeing with you doesn't mean I am uninformed or unrealistic. Having sat on the board (and the euthanasia committee) for the largest equine rescue organization in my state, I am certainly aware of the realities of the situation.
Katy
enjoying every day!
Posted Image

#24 Demon's Mom

Demon's Mom

Scavenger!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,430 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:33 AM

Andi I think you just expressed my feelings for me. "if you give a darn about HORSES, you should be on the HUMANE TREATMENT side". "Keeping it in OUR borders with OUR horses and OUR regulations, which are the strictest and highest standards in the WORLD is, IMHO, the *only* way to go."

This is what I want to get through to the non-horse people who just see pretty horses. We have to have some type of resolution for all of the dangerous/unwanted/excess horses so they don't suffer.

Katy I've seen some of the video's from Iceland where it is very well controlled and the horses do not suffer at all. There is no fear or anything and that is how I feel it should be. That is what I want for the US.

I found some of the links that Carlo posted in the debate board and shared them yesterday. I have no illusions about being able to change someone's opinions but I hope to be able to provide the means to help educate people on the plight of horses when I can. I'm not trying to say everyone needs to be pro-slaughter but its also not the devil when it is done humanely. I know people that feel euthansia is just as horrible, they say but you're killing an animal. Do I like euthansia or slaughter? Not really but I do see the necessity of both.

Anyway, thanks Katy, Sayge, Oz, Eeyore and Andi.

Paula

Proud mom of:
Demon, Taz 

#25 Andi

Andi

Exalted Henchman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,872 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:06 AM

KatyB? Pull your head out please and quit thinking this is about "you". Because it's not. At all. The old adage of "if the shoe fits ..." Well, if it fits, then maybe it *is* about you more than *I* know but it certainly wasn't directed at you no matter what you think you read into it.

Andi

LC Ranch Photography

Facebook Page

~~~~~~~~~~
~Thomas Jefferson

Butterfly farts stink!

#26 KatyB

KatyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,814 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:26 AM

KatyB? Pull your head out please and quit thinking this is about "you". Because it's not. At all. The old adage of "if the shoe fits ..." Well, if it fits, then maybe it *is* about you more than *I* know but it certainly wasn't directed at you no matter what you think you read into it.

That is an exceedingly long and confusing statement. I am unable to understand what you are trying to say. Pull my head out of what?

I do understand the law, as it was proposed, in my state. I do understand the horse situation in my state. I am not looking at the world through rose-colored glasses, Andi. I just look at the situation and reach a different conclusion than you do. I see that we are unable to implement and enforce our current regulations regarding safe and humane treatment of horses, so I feel no optimism that slaughter could be carried out in a safe and humane fashion. Maybe you are the overly optimistic one?
Katy
enjoying every day!
Posted Image

#27 Andi

Andi

Exalted Henchman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,872 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:43 PM

I am meaning quit thinking everyone is addressing YOU! Pretty sure there are more than 2 people in TN. Pretty sure I didn't say "KatyB is being stupid and unrealistic" so QUIT taking offense like we are meaning YOU. Unless, of course, the shoe fits. And if you don't get that one? Look it up.

Andi

LC Ranch Photography

Facebook Page

~~~~~~~~~~
~Thomas Jefferson

Butterfly farts stink!

#28 Demon's Mom

Demon's Mom

Scavenger!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,430 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:50 PM

And I think this has gone on enough. Thanks for the replies and the help.

Paula

Proud mom of:
Demon, Taz