5 replies to this topic

#1 desputedwestern

desputedwestern

LIFE IS TOUGH... GET A HELMET

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,220 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:59 AM

Hi All. I have a lovely 10 year old mare that I plan on showing this summer on the local AQHA circuit. I am having trouble finding a western bit that she is relaxed in. She gets really worried about the western bits I have tried and won't relax. She is extreamly soft in the mouth. I puchased a myler at the congress for her but I think it is way to much bit for her. I usually ride her in a snaffle for regular schooling. (she does the all arounds so I ride her english about 50% of the time) Thanks in advance!
Three Quarter Farms, home of World Champion Sire, Royal Invitation
Join royal On Facebook!!!!!

My Website

RIP Arts Bay Lady ~ April 11, 2000 to June 25, 2010 ~ you left us far to soon ~ Until we meet again
RIP Blarney ~ December 10, 2005 ~ my love and my best friend~ until we met agian.

#2 teampenninglady123

teampenninglady123

C'est La Vie!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,560 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:04 PM

bosal or hackamore.

If she wants to work for you without too much worries in her mouth, let her have it all back and use another way.

Never know till you try.

Trey and Abby and Izzy love the bosals or hacks.

Tonto scoffs at them with great pleasure! He is my rough riding cement mouthed showoff!
Trey and I

#3 Magic26

Magic26

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:08 PM

Try an Argentine curb bit from Horse.com - it's got a 3 piece mouthpiece with copper roller adn short shanks - our horses moved very easily from the snaffle to this bit.
Magic26

#4 TXhorseman

TXhorseman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 218 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:32 AM

Hi All. I have a lovely 10 year old mare that I plan on showing this summer on the local AQHA circuit. I am having trouble finding a western bit that she is relaxed in. She gets really worried about the western bits I have tried and won't relax. She is extreamly soft in the mouth. I puchased a myler at the congress for her but I think it is way to much bit for her. I usually ride her in a snaffle for regular schooling. (she does the all arounds so I ride her english about 50% of the time) Thanks in advance!

Is your horse bothered by simply having the new bit in her mouth, or does the problem manifest itself primarily when you are riding?

The Pelham bit was designed to help transition a horse from a snaffle to a curb bit. You might consider this at least as an intermediary bit.

Find out what type of bit is required for the shows you plan on attending. Try to find a bit with about the same diameter mouth piece your horse is used to. Use the shortest shanks you are allowed to use. Be sure any curb chain or strap has adequate clearance.
Don Matschull
www.quietriding.com

#5 siseley

siseley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,562 posts
    at "Hot Rocks Ranch"

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:54 PM

As some one else has said, try a hack or bosal. I always ride in my Jim Warner Hack, and while my mare is calm and pretty easy, she DOES repect that hack. In fact I have padded the rope on the nose as she gets some hair rubbing in the summer when her coat is thin. ( Arab, so is thin coat in summer here in desert)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by siseley, 04 July 2012 - 12:55 PM.

"The bronco jumped up as the cowboy came down...they met at the old saddlehorn! That's how the yodel was born! "Riders In The Sky".."Strawberry Roan"

#6 MarsCandyBar

MarsCandyBar

Boiler for Life - Loyalty Lives Here

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,887 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:53 PM

Can't show a 10 yr old in a hack or bosal, I believe hacks are illegal period in the western ring and bosals are only permitted in 5 yr olds and under.

What bits have you tried for one. And two, is her snaffle just a plain jane snaffle?

I would try to mimmick that as closely as possible, in mouthpiece and diameter. I also like argentine snaffles. Make sure whatever you get has a barrel type attachment to the shaft - verses attaching like a tom thumb, which can work loose and pinch.
*~*Mars*~*

"Life is too short to wake up with regrets. So love the people who treat you right. Forget about the one's who don't. Believe everything happens for a reason. If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands. If it changes your life, let it. Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it."

"Have faith in yourself, and reach for the sky. Have courage to show that you care. Leave footprints behind. Keep stars in your eyes. Build palaces high in the air. Seek happiness first. Go after the best. Try traveling paths that are new. Just follow your dreams. Find beauty in life. Aspire to love what you do."