• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 LOVEmyMustang98

LOVEmyMustang98

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:22 PM

Hi, I just recently adopted a fully trained 4 year old BLM Mustang gelding after not owning a horse for about 10 years. He is a GREAT horse for us and we love him to pieces. But heres the situation, we had a nice corral put in for him but ran out of money after buying horse, tack, food, corral, ect. So, we did not have any money to put in a run in shed (or whatever people call it now) for him. We have been having a wind/rain/snow storm for about 2 days now. Tempatures in the low 30s at the lowest. We feel REALLY bad for him. And sadly, we did not have money to buy a blanket for him either after all the huge purchases. As of we also did not think to buy him one anyways because its very close to summer and we live in California. Now this is a kind of freak storm we are having. He has big tall bushes to go between for a little shelter (the bushes are taller than him and safe). Will he be alright? He is our baby and want to make sure every thing will be fine for him. Oh, we also are going out and feeding him snacks every couple hours to keep him warm.
Someone please give me more advice to keep him warm. And is this fine for him?
Thank You :smilie:

Edited by LOVEmyMustang98, 14 April 2012 - 06:06 PM.

~Save The Mustang~
Posted Image

#2 Sakura18

Sakura18

Why the long face?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:27 AM

You might want to post this in General Horse Talk instead.
Owned by:
Sugar-7yr Molly Mule
Little Twister-4yr John Mule
Raven-5yr Morgan Gelding
BJ-9yr farmdog
Dingo-3yr Imo Inu x mutt
RIP 2/5/12 Riley-22yr Appaloosa Gelding~always in my heart. Love ya old man. </3

You can't beat a dead horse,but you can drag it around the square!

You know you're a horse person when...
your boyfriend complains that you love your horse more than you love him and you say: "And your point is..?"
...no one wants to ride in your car because they'll get sweet feed and hay in their socks and on their clothes...but that's ok because you'll have to rearrange all the tack to make room for them anyway!

#3 1wildkatt

1wildkatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,813 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:59 AM

I might suggest that you give him some extra hay to give him some body heat. Good luck!
Kat

#4 DawnC

DawnC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,727 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:20 PM

Give extra hay. I'd not expect this to last long, and low 30's for a while isn't going to cause major harm to an otherwise healthy horse.

If he is underweight or in otherwise generally poor condition, then you may have some problems to deal with. If he is healthy, in good weight, has plenty of water/hay, then he should be able to outlast the weather just fine.

A shelter would be nice, but I'd be suprised if he had any problems for the short term conditions.

#5 LOVEmyMustang98

LOVEmyMustang98

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:04 PM

Thank you so much DawnC and 1Wildkatt. You guys helped alot. And yes DawnC, he is in good shape. Thanks for your concern :)

On the other hand Sakura18, i dont care where I post this at this point. Its WAY more important for me to worry about/ get help for my horse than worry about where I post this.
~Save The Mustang~
Posted Image

#6 LOVEmyMustang98

LOVEmyMustang98

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:05 PM

IN REPLY TO:

You might want to post this in General Horse Talk instead.

Sakura18, Im not trying to be rude but, i dont care where I post this at this point. Its WAY more important for me to worry about/ get help for my horse than worry about where I post this. I am ONLY concerned about helping my horse.

Edited by LOVEmyMustang98, 16 April 2012 - 09:07 PM.

~Save The Mustang~
Posted Image

#7 Sayge

Sayge

Monster Tamer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,381 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:58 PM

IN REPLY TO:

Sakura18, Im not trying to be rude but, i dont care where I post this at this point. Its WAY more important for me to worry about/ get help for my horse than worry about where I post this. I am ONLY concerned about helping my horse.

Chill Pill LMM98. Sheesh. She was only suggesting that because more people tend to look at the General Horse Talk and General Chit Chat boards. So ya see, she was trying to help you out.

Owned by:

Tilly Monster- 10 yr old North American Spotted Draft
Kisser Lou- 9 yr old MFT cross (June 2005-November 2014 R.I.P.)

Banjo- 7 yr old Spotted Draft
Yoko Oh No!- 3 yr old Australian Shepherd
Ming Ling- 2 yr old Boston Terrier cross

Jefe and Pepe- Black headed caiques 

#8 goldentoes

goldentoes

can't stop singing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,374 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:53 AM

Oh, we also are going out and feeding him snacks every couple hours to keep him warm.
Someone please give me more advice to keep him warm. And is this fine for him?

Food always helps, but instead of feeding him snacks every couple hours, he really should have copious amounts of hay available at all times (easiest way to do this is a round bale). That is what will help him keep warm, not "snacks" (I'm not sure what you mean by snacks - do you mean grain? If you do, how much? Or do you mean something else?)

Is this guy out by himself? It sounds like you are keeping him at home in a relatively small space, does he have any kind of buddy? Remember that horses are very social animals, very few horses do "OK" by themselves. Horses kept by themselves often develop poor behaviors - general crankiness, sourness to being ridden/handled, neurotic behaviors like pacing or wood chewing, etc.

If I've misunderstood the situation I apologize, it just doesn't sound like you were fully prepared for him before bringing him home (in all honesty, the shelter, etc, should have been the first purchases, before buying tack. always remember a good horseman takes care of the horse's physical needs first, and their own enjoyment second)

Also, when people suggest you post in other areas of the forum it's because they think you will get more views/responses in another place. very few people regularly check the "disaster info" section unless there's an actual disaster (flood, earthquake, tornado, hurricane, etc). By putting posts in areas where more people read topics, you're more likely to get a good number of responses.
"It's a topsy-turvy world, and maybe the problems of two people don't amount to a hill of beans. But this is our hill. And these are our beans!"

Keep Up With CANTER Mid-Atlantic at My Blog!

#9 LOVEmyMustang98

LOVEmyMustang98

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:39 AM

Well i am done posting questions at this place anyways. I had no idea people were going to critisise the care of my horse and what my horse is really like. I am not talking about you guys though, i am talking about in my other forum post. People were SO rude and critisised the care of my horse and that i give my horse love. It was absolutely ridiculous and not nescasarry. I just wanted someone to answer my question, but instead i got that. Im off to find a better horse forum to ask questions where people will actually be kind for a change.
And again, i am not talking to you guys, i am talking to the others.
I had my feelings really hurt here, especially by Mudder. :,(
~Save The Mustang~
Posted Image

#10 LOVEmyMustang98

LOVEmyMustang98

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:40 AM

Bye, i am leaving.
~Save The Mustang~
Posted Image

#11 goldentoes

goldentoes

can't stop singing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,374 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:07 AM

Bye, i am leaving.

Okay then....

If you want another forum to try, Chronicle of the Horse has a whole section on theirs just for horse care, and I've gotten some great advice there in the past.
"It's a topsy-turvy world, and maybe the problems of two people don't amount to a hill of beans. But this is our hill. And these are our beans!"

Keep Up With CANTER Mid-Atlantic at My Blog!

#12 BelleoftheBall

BelleoftheBall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:12 PM

Goldentoes - You are amazing! Do you work in the diplomatic field??

#13 Mudder

Mudder

Keeper of the Wooden Spoons

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 36,500 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:30 PM

Ahh I don't think she likes me very much....that hurts my feelerz... Posted Image
Sappy's son Hunter is my wooden spoon minion. Hunter ROCKS!!
Due to current financial restraints, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice... stole this from Saudimack
Murderous Mudzie Murtano

#14 Tazzin

Tazzin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,016 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:43 PM

If you happen to check back, you might want to look into your County's view of California's Animal Neglect law (Section 597 of the Penal Code) Many jurisdictions require a horse be provided with 'adequate shelter'

597. (a) Except as provided in subdivision © of this section or
Section 599c, every person who maliciously and intentionally maims,
mutilates, tortures, or wounds a living animal, or maliciously and
intentionally kills an animal, is guilty of a crime punishable
pursuant to subdivision (d).
(B) Except as otherwise provided in subdivision (a) or ©, every
person who overdrives, overloads, drives when overloaded, overworks,
tortures, torments, deprives of necessary sustenance, drink, or
shelter, cruelly beats, mutilates, or cruelly kills any animal, or
causes or procures any animal to be so overdriven, overloaded, driven
when overloaded, overworked, tortured, tormented,

deprived of
necessary sustenance, drink, shelter

or to be cruelly beaten,
mutilated, or cruelly killed; and whoever, having the charge or
custody of any animal, either as owner or otherwise, subjects any
animal to needless suffering, or inflicts unnecessary cruelty upon
the animal, or in any manner abuses any animal, or fails to provide
the animal with proper food, drink, or shelter or protection from the
weather, or who drives, rides, or otherwise uses the animal when
unfit for labor, is, for each offense, guilty of a crime punishable
pursuant to subdivision (d).

The advice you received of extra hay is good advice. Good luck to you and your horse. Coming here to ask questions, then becoming defensive at what you perceive as an attack isn't going to get you far. Mudder is one of HC's most highly respected members. I hold her in extremely high regard.

Edited by Tazzin, 17 April 2012 - 06:44 PM.

Posted Image

Member of B.I.R.U.

There is no value and respect for love without experiencing heartache. No bliss without despair. No prosperity without failure. No loyalty without betrayal. No faith without abandonment. No passion without suffering. - Sean Getty Lowe

I met a board buddy - JrRodeoMom, brlracr624, caseygrey, GemEllie0613, JPParadiseRanch, Quincy's Keeper, HolyJeezers, Quartermutt, Silk, SkyFireDelight, HeGotSpots, Sweet Caroline and kidlets, Kina Kat, Lynnehall, Equi-Librium, LongingToRun, TrottingRightBehind, Driftin Mom, Driftin Cowboy, Driftin Cowgirl, Hi Tech Redneck, iluvspots, CindyP, Katy BlackJack, Mrs, Buck, Andi, Mondaes Mom, Jacks Dad, Buck, mrs, KatyCox. and probably many others whose screen names I don't know ;)

Psaint VF+ - 11 year old Arabian gelding. Cassels Olympia, 16 year old Arabian mare, Khassandra BWB, 7 month old Arabian filly

#15 SpottedTApps

SpottedTApps

Does anyone pay attention to these?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,886 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:10 AM

:) Thanks for the read.
Spotted T Riding Blog

I've met board buddies! - Quincy's Keeper, Cutter123, LongingToRun, Cowgurl*, Horseygrrl, RoyalBTBs, RixKatToy, Blonde on a Warmblood, Tuckit, BrokeBackCoolBreeze, Forever in Blue Genes, NitrousForce, Holy Jeezers, Demon's Mom, Cowgirlartist, Draftiemama, PineBarSissy, Hastflicka, Shelly Carter, Pinky, Tuper, Flequus, Poldi, Rockabillygal, SmokeyJoe, BB Blue, Tab, MixedUpTease, HarleyNHS, JoAnn, Florida Cowgirl, Little Cow, Tuck, Hoofs In Motion, Ratts, Notyo, Apps4Life, Lash, Loranbama, Heart Felt Farms, LuckE, First String Farms, The Sugar Lady, Spring Storm, SCspots, Runnin'Colors & Heidi n Q!!! That's 47, how many you got?

Posted Image

#16 Sakura18

Sakura18

Why the long face?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:58 PM

Jeez,i was just saying that she could post there and get more replies... :rolleye0014:

Awww...poor Mudder...LOL
Owned by:
Sugar-7yr Molly Mule
Raven-5yr Morgan Gelding
BJ-9yr farmdog
Dingo-3yr Imo Inu x mutt
RIP 2/5/12 Riley-22yr Appaloosa Gelding~always in my heart. Love ya old man. </3

your boyfriend complains that you love your horse more than you love him and you say: "And your point is..?"
...no one wants to ride in your car because they'll get sweet feed and hay in their socks and on their clothes...but that's ok because you'll have to rearrange all the tack to make room for them anyway!

#17 teampenninglady123

teampenninglady123

C'est La Vie!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,560 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:51 PM

I don't think anyone was being mean.

There were a few blunt statements, but that is anywhere or any board....ever.

I did see responses that seemed a bit 16 year oldish....and maybe a good shot of tequila could have been helpful.

Not too sure why it was locked...noone really did anything BAD and the OP didn't consider killing it so...

But, Mudder is Mudder....if ya take a moment to get to know us all you would see that Mudder is ol' skool HC....and very very tame compared to those that are no longer here...quite lovable too! :smilie:

If you got hurt by Mudder...maybe horse boards are not gonna be what you can mix in.

Heck, I get bumps and knocks now and again....but I know how to roll with it and :happy0203:
Trey and I

#18 Sakura18

Sakura18

Why the long face?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 09:01 PM

I miss Bumper and manes :( Those 2 were old school HC,and very enteraining. :happy0203:
Owned by:
Sugar-7yr Molly Mule
Raven-5yr Morgan Gelding
BJ-9yr farmdog
Dingo-3yr Imo Inu x mutt