• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 QHriderKE

QHriderKE

• Members
  • Pip
  • 302 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:33 AM

I let my 4 year old breeze the pattern at her own pace today.
You think she wants to fly? LOL.
I think now is a good time to lay off the barrel work and relax for a bit, like, brandings and such. Pulling calves makes for great conditioning! Hopefully I can find a little jackpot for baby girl sometime!

banner_zpse707670a.jpg

#2 Barrelhorseluver1

Barrelhorseluver1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 151 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:11 AM

Awsome! I have little mare too i just started this year, some other this to do just for fun but u are kinda still somewhat working barrels is gymncana events

#3 Grace_C

Grace_C

• Members
  • Pip
  • 489 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:09 PM

So nice to see another western person who posts! As in, rising trot lol. I'm starting my gelding on barrels too. Hopefully will go to juniors sometime this year.
Grace

#4 Barrelhorseluver1

Barrelhorseluver1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 151 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:05 AM

That would be awsome! I love barrel raceing!

#5 r_beau

r_beau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:47 PM

I know you've been posting Squiggy's progress on the other forum too (and that this post is way back from April) so I am sure this is all stuff we've told you before. But if nothing else, it can be a learning experience for someone else reading this thread.

The first time you walk through the pattern:
--you are taking the barrels WAY too close. Give her a larger pocket all the way around. Taking the barrel too close causes your horse to slow down too much, losing speed. This especially caught you on that 3rd barrel, because she turned too soon. If you continue to turn the barrel too tight, she'll start shouldering in and just running over that barrel.
--she is swinging her butt around on every turn and not engaging it (partly because the pockets are too small). Away from the barrel pattern, work on "perfect circles". Her nose should be turned to the inside. Apply inside leg pressure to the center of her belly so that she wraps around that leg. Then, you'll also need to apply outside leg pressure, slightly back, to keep her hindquarter in so that she does not swing them around. That back end should always be engaged and driving with forward motion.
--However you did do a very nice job on maintaining a totally straight line from barrel to barrel, without drifting. Good job

The little clip showing you turn one barrel was much better on the pocket size but I would even still give her a little more room. I always give the youngsters plenty of room, because when they speed it up, they'll suck in closer. Plus it is much easier to get a horse to turn tighter, than to try to re-train a horse to get off the barrels.

The next two galloping clips were "okay". Still give her more room around the pocket. Her turns are choppy because you are having to hold her up the whole time. If nothing else, lope lots and lots and lots of circles beforehand to get her relaxed, calm, and on a loose rein. She's got a hollowed out back because you are trying to hold her up; she's not collected and smooth.

In general, she really seems to be fighting you with the bit. Has she had her teeth done by a dentist lately? What bit are you using? This can also just go back to the fact that you should have her worked and relaxed before you begin working on the barrels. And honestly, if you did ALL these practice runs on the same day, that is too much for this horse. She's a hot horse. She can't do the pattern that many times in a row or she's going to get hotter yet. You can always do other drills with a single barrel, or no barrels at all, and still practice the fundamental manevaurs you need.

But all in all, she's doing okay. Just give her bigger pockets and get her to relax a bit!

--

~*~ ßŗΐţťάйÿ ~*~

"Red" - Saltys Red Rock, 2006 AQHA gelding

"Shotgun" - CK Grey Meatball, 2011 AQHA gelding
"Beau" - Ravishing Beau, 1998 APHA gelding (grazing on heaven's grass)

<|__~
../__\..

Feel free to check out my YouTube channel!

#6 barrelracer116

barrelracer116

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:56 AM

try taking her past the barrels so she doesnt shoulder in i did this with my mare and now she turns them perfectly. When you going and you feel her start to turn in to closely just push her a past it a few strides and eventaly she will get the hang of it an she will have plpenty of pocket room to get around them. With her fighting you you need to do a lot of rail work at a trot until she gets to respect you more. ask her to stop and back up every few minutes so she has to respond to you. experiment with different bits until you find one that works.