6 replies to this topic

#1 montikarla

montikarla

Beware the Mare!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:02 PM

I am trying to study for exams right now, and a lot of material and study help is found online. Problem is, when my brother is online, my wireless cuts out a lot, and my internet slows down so much and times out so that I have to refresh even HC a lot before it shows up. He claims it is my laptop, but I didn't have this problem when I was farm sitting (and sharing internet with a friend) or at school, where I share internet access with about 20,000 other people. We have high speed here at home.

He has the modem and wireless router in his bedroom. Signal strength is really good (can access it in the concrete basement on the other side of the house). He plugs directly into the modem, doesn't use the wireless because he doesn't have an adapter on his computer. He claims that he has no effect on it, but he is sleeping right now and guess what? It is working just fine! He likes to play RRPG's online.

I don't understand what is happening to the wireless though. He says that the router is fine, and that it always shows that the internet is connected to it. Last night I was lucky to only loose my connection every five minutes, but that isn't very good since I was trying to do practise quizes for my first exam, which is tomorrow. Mom says she will force him to stay off, but I don't think his massive temper tantrum will be conducive to my studying either. Besides, with the modem in his room, I really don't think he will listen to her.

Any help anyone can give me will be greatly appreciated! I am going nuts and getting panicky, which is not good for me. I deal with an anxiety dissorder, as well as depression and I am struggling right now. The more roadblocks that end up in my path, the less likely I am to be able to finish school. I will just shut down, and I have been there and don't want to be there again. I know Mom really wants me to succeed (and not because she wants me to move out, lol, but because she wants me to feel successful).

Jenn and The Ellie Mare

#2 Serah Rose

Serah Rose

Ramblin Rose?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,722 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:07 PM

best solution might be just to pick him up an adapter!
*Canter for the Cure*

http://www.etsy.com/...signByPorcupine - still need quills but have a few necklaces back in stock!

http://contributor.y...serah_rose.html my published articles

#3 montikarla

montikarla

Beware the Mare!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:16 PM

I'm beyond broke. I can't put gas in my car to get to my exam. I have to wait until Mom is home from her open house so that I can get gas. I wish he did have one, cause then I would have the modem and adapter in my room. I have more plugs then he does. I am really looking forward to finishing school, moving out, and having my own internet!

Jenn and The Ellie Mare

#4 wolfhaven

wolfhaven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,205 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:36 PM

You only have so much bandwidth coming into your router. Game playing is sucking most of it and you are left with whatever is left. He is the problem, not your laptop. That's why it works when he isn't on it. Your friend probably wasn't game playing or downloading videos or music so the bandwidth wasn't being used up.

#5 montikarla

montikarla

Beware the Mare!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:16 PM

I figured that was it. Problem is my brother seems to think that Mom and I are really stupid. Mom has informed him that she pays for the net, and that I have priority online right now because of exams, and she will let me take the modem if necessary. Luckily, he is at work right now so I don't even have to worry about him. I just have to worry about the power going out again. It has gone out 8 times in 5 hours because of the wind.

Jenn and The Ellie Mare

#6 desputedwestern

desputedwestern

LIFE IS TOUGH... GET A HELMET

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,220 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:34 AM

Do you have a place you can hard wire you laptop into the internet?
Three Quarter Farms, home of World Champion Sire, Royal Invitation
Join royal On Facebook!!!!!

My Website

RIP Arts Bay Lady ~ April 11, 2000 to June 25, 2010 ~ you left us far to soon ~ Until we meet again
RIP Blarney ~ December 10, 2005 ~ my love and my best friend~ until we met agian.

#7 montikarla

montikarla

Beware the Mare!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:33 PM

Only if I have the modem in my room. It's a really old house, the phone jack is just attached to the cord that runs up the stairs and is just sitting on my floor.

Jenn and The Ellie Mare