• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 QueenBAW

QueenBAW

• Members
  • Pip
  • 461 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:23 AM

So Im having a bit of a debate with myself. I joined ACTHA this past August. Signed up for a family of 3. We went to ONE ride. We had a good time, the people were nice, etc etc. So whats the problem? Well, there werent many rides here in our area to justify the membership fee, let alone the price of the ride. We work full time, therefore checking in and hanging out on Friday isnt an option for us. We have to arrive early Saturday morning (the day of the ride), find somewhere to park amongst the many other trailers that have been there since Friday, quickly check in and sign up for whatever ride times havent been claimed..which then leaves us to "hurry up and wait". Dont get me wrong we did have a good time on the one ride we went on. Now looking into upcoming rides and my membership has expired...I cant remember how thier membership calendar works but I'm disappointed that I signed up for a family of 3 membership that wasnt even valid for a full year. So, Im looking into rides for this year and everyone keeps saying that there are going to be more rides in my area this year...Ive seen 2 so far. When I say "my area" I dont mean the next state over. I guess it all boils down to cost. Im fiding that in my personal opinion ACTHA is rather pricey. For the cost of the membership fee and the cost of the ride I could round up a bunch of friends and hit a local state park and have one heck of a cookout afterward, for a fraction of the price it costs to do ACTHA. Am I being cheap? How many rides should there be in my area to make it worth the money?

#2 Ivory Annie

Ivory Annie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,227 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:47 AM

Heck, I would just save the money and just go trail riding with your family, on your own terms whenever you want.....
~Amanda~

"If you go into something, anything, expecting the worst, thats what you will get"

Annie, Brandy, Whinney
Posted Image

#3 Eskielvr

Eskielvr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,249 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:36 PM

Heck, I would just save the money and just go trail riding with your family, on your own terms whenever you want.....

Ditto!

Or, find a horse show in your area then ask the people there if there are any groups in your area.

Smile.... it will make people wonder what you are up too. :happy0203:

#4 Cactus Rose

Cactus Rose

Mountain Trail Rider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,563 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:38 PM

The cost of club membership isn't the problem where I am.

Proximity to ride location is.

I use one of my holidays and take the Friday afternoon off (sometimes even the Fri-DAY). There's no doubt I'm tired as heck by the time I drive home on the Sunday - but it's a GOOD kind of tired.

:happy0203:

Edited by Cactus Rose, 16 April 2012 - 02:38 PM.

♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ Shut Up & Enjoy The Music ! ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥♥♫♫♫♫♫♫♫

#5 Indianshuffler

Indianshuffler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:36 PM

Are their organizations in your state that exist for the sole purpose of keeping your riding trails open? Our state parks in Michigan have them. The yearly membership is very reasonable, and there are many activities over the year, if you choose, to participate in that are very family friendly. Pot lucks, poker rides, banquets, but the basic reason for the clubs is to help the state maintain the camping grounds, and riding trails.
http://www.waterlooh....org/index.html

http://www.pinckneytrailriders.com/

http://www.shtra.org/

http://hadleyhills.com/

Wanted to give you several examples of the Michigan clubs.
From your state, here is the Virginia Horse Council web addy, and one of the listed trail clubs, family membership $15.
http://www.virginiahorsecouncil.org/

http://www.strha.org/

Hope the info is of use to you.
People who will tell you the brutal truth when needed are keepers

#6 QueenBAW

QueenBAW

• Members
  • Pip
  • 461 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:57 AM

Thanks for the info Indianshuffler, I'm deffinitley going to look into those organizations. On the same note, it seems pretty promising that there may indeed me enough ACTHA rides here in my area to justify me renewing my membership..we shall see.. Thanks again guys!

#7 luvallbreeds

luvallbreeds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,758 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:57 AM

I joined ACTHA last year to compete in one ride in our area, where over 80 riders competed. So there is a demand here for that type of competition. They promised there would be more rides in our area. Then I heard that the event center where the ride was held denied any further ACTHA access. Thankfuly some local riders and clubs stepped up to plate to put on more local ACTHA rides at differant locations, staying local. The thing with ACTHA is any member or group can sponsor a ride. So if you join any of the local trailriding groups ask if they would be interesting in putting together ACTHA rides in your local area. So that you get the benefits of a local club with the chance to compete and make use of your ACTHA membership.
"If you can not be a good example...you will have to be a horrible warning."

#8 dondie

dondie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,739 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:30 PM

If you don't have Trail Riding or Trail Riding and Camping horse clubs in your area...ACTHA also has an online section on their site to help you find trail riding buddies in your area. This will give you people to ride with, between the ACTHA events.
If you develop a friendship with other people who attend, they could save you a camping spot and sign you up for riding times so that you can relax and have fun with your new friends.
http://www.actha.us/...lridercommunity
Board Buddies Met: Kina Kat, HeGotSpots! Cholla, I Been Running

#9 SpottedTApps

SpottedTApps

Does anyone pay attention to these?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,868 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:07 PM

The cost kinda got me. I let my membership renew this year, so may find another one, but by the time I paid entry/stall/camping, I spent just as much as a breed show for the weekend. Fun, but pricey for trail riding.
Spotted T Riding Blog

I've met board buddies! - Quincy's Keeper, Cutter123, LongingToRun, Cowgurl*, Horseygrrl, RoyalBTBs, RixKatToy, Blonde on a Warmblood, Tuckit, BrokeBackCoolBreeze, Forever in Blue Genes, NitrousForce, Holy Jeezers, Demon's Mom, Cowgirlartist, Draftiemama, PineBarSissy, Hastflicka, Shelly Carter, Pinky, Tuper, Flequus, Poldi, Rockabillygal, SmokeyJoe, BB Blue, Tab, MixedUpTease, HarleyNHS, JoAnn, Florida Cowgirl, Little Cow, Tuck, Hoofs In Motion, Ratts, Notyo, Apps4Life, Lash, Loranbama, Heart Felt Farms, LuckE, First String Farms, The Sugar Lady, Spring Storm, SCspots, Runnin'Colors & Heidi n Q!!! That's 47, how many you got?

Posted Image

#10 SpottedTApps

SpottedTApps

Does anyone pay attention to these?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,868 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:23 PM

Never mind, there are no rides anywhere near me all year. And I don't have the time/money/energy to host one. Besides, who would come and pay those fees?
Spotted T Riding Blog

I've met board buddies! - Quincy's Keeper, Cutter123, LongingToRun, Cowgurl*, Horseygrrl, RoyalBTBs, RixKatToy, Blonde on a Warmblood, Tuckit, BrokeBackCoolBreeze, Forever in Blue Genes, NitrousForce, Holy Jeezers, Demon's Mom, Cowgirlartist, Draftiemama, PineBarSissy, Hastflicka, Shelly Carter, Pinky, Tuper, Flequus, Poldi, Rockabillygal, SmokeyJoe, BB Blue, Tab, MixedUpTease, HarleyNHS, JoAnn, Florida Cowgirl, Little Cow, Tuck, Hoofs In Motion, Ratts, Notyo, Apps4Life, Lash, Loranbama, Heart Felt Farms, LuckE, First String Farms, The Sugar Lady, Spring Storm, SCspots, Runnin'Colors & Heidi n Q!!! That's 47, how many you got?

Posted Image

#11 QueenBAW

QueenBAW

• Members
  • Pip
  • 461 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:42 PM

SpottedTApps - EXACTLY! I can understand the membership fee...but the RIDE FEE??!! Ugh, you're exactly right, I end up spending just as much as I would showing.

#12 Eskielvr

Eskielvr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,249 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:08 PM

Well shoot y'all... just come ride with us!!!

Smile.... it will make people wonder what you are up too. :happy0203:

#13 siseley

siseley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts
    at "Hot Rocks Ranch"

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:08 PM

What We Do

E.T.I. holds hundreds of events each year, such as Trail Rides, Gymkhanas, Trail Trials and Horse shows. These are organized by local Corrals located through out California. The national Organization Over sees each Corral and the areas where the Corrals are located. Preview these pages for information on our organization and it's many events and benefits that every horse rider receives when they join E.T.I.

You could look for an organization like ETI in Calif. the whole mission is to maintain the family equestrian lifestyle, and there are shows, rides, campouts, trail trials, and lots of new f
riends!

http://www.etinational.org/
"The bronco jumped up as the cowboy came down...they met at the old saddlehorn! That's how the yodel was born! "Riders In The Sky".."Strawberry Roan"