• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 NaughtyNeigh2

NaughtyNeigh2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:22 AM

Been told the mare has just shown signs of being in season over the weekend [first one of the year].

Say, going as a rough average, how long till her next season/when will it be? And when would one be that would be nearer the end of June time? [again, going by a rough average, I know it's not accurate in any way].

If that makes sense to anyone. Stuff like that makes my head spin and I don't want to have a complete blonde moment miscalculating.

Thanks in advance!

#2 red neck cowgurl

red neck cowgurl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:47 PM

My mares always went in the heat around every 3-4 weeks in the summer. I hardly ever saw them in heat during colder months from november to about march.

#3 cvm2002

cvm2002

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,985 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:44 PM

Average time from ovulation to ovulation is 21 days. Longer for some, shorter for others. If she just started showing heat over the weekend, that would put ovulation by mid to late week and you can figure from there.

Dina Wild, DVM
Veterinarian by day...and some nights...and most weekends...and every other holiday.
Wanna-be photographer the rest of the time.

http://www.wildsidearabians.com

#4 NaughtyNeigh2

NaughtyNeigh2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:03 AM

Brilliant thanks :)

She's now coming back permanently anyway and will be running with him, so not so much of a time limit luck :)

#5 Ivory Annie

Ivory Annie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,324 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:11 PM

Sheeesh my horse is a ho, seems she comes in heat anytime she sees a stud :-P
~Amanda~

"If you go into something, anything, expecting the worst, thats what you will get"

Annie, Brandy, Whinney
Posted Image

#6 coloredcowhorse

coloredcowhorse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:41 AM

Some will flirt especially if they aren't around stallions all the time, virtually any time they see one. Flirting and standing still for breeding can be two totally different things though. Almost every one of my mares is on a solid 21 day schedule by this time of the year. I do have stallions though so they just aren't impressed unless the hormone triggers are working.
Dorothy
My link