• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 JoMarieM

JoMarieM

• Members
  • Pip
  • 393 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:12 AM

There's been a trend in recent years for people to have their deceased pets freeze-dried and fixed into lifelike poses instead of burying them. For some of these pet owners, it apparently makes them feel as if their pet is still with them, sitting in a corner of their living room or bedroom. If these people (and the folks who live with them) are comfortable with having their dead pets staring back at them and they're willing to shell out the big bucks necessary for this process (it can get pretty expensive, especially with larger animals), I'm not going to knock them for it. To each his own.

Personally, though, I find it a bit creepy. No matter how well-preserved and lifelike you can make a deceased pet, once the spirit of life has passed from that animal, that pet is GONE. I would much prefer to bury a beloved animal when it passes on, cherish the memories I have with it, and then give my affections to another LIVING creature. I would much prefer to remember my pets when they were alive and happy, not having them become little more than a super-sentimental stuffed animal when they're dead.

So when a beloved pet dies, would YOU freeze-dry it and stick it in your house. . .or bury it and move on?

#2 goldentoes

goldentoes

can't stop singing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,374 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:56 AM

I think freeze dried animals just look creepy. Too real, and not real enough, at the same time.

And I'm a weird/messed up person, I've thought about having Yoda's hide done waaay in the future when he goes. But I still can't quite do the freeze drying. blech.
"It's a topsy-turvy world, and maybe the problems of two people don't amount to a hill of beans. But this is our hill. And these are our beans!"

Keep Up With CANTER Mid-Atlantic at My Blog!

#3 Sayge

Sayge

Monster Tamer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,362 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:11 AM

That would be a negative on my end. I don't want to keep my deceased pet if it is freeze dried or stuffed. Just to creepy for me. I wouldn't be able to touch it. I have issues with the taxidermied boar head my DH has, I can't imagine the type of issues I'd have if it was a beloved pet. I'll stick with burying and enjoying the memories.

edited because I forgot a word.

Edited by Sayge, 17 April 2012 - 07:12 AM.

Owned by:

Tilly Monster- 10 yr old North American Spotted Draft
Kisser Lou- 9 yr old MFT cross

Banjo- 7 yr old Spotted Draft
Yoko Oh No!- 3 yr old Australian Shepherd
Ming Ling- 1 yr old Boston Terrier cross

Jefe and Pepe- Black headed caiques 

#4 Milo

Milo

High Mileage

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,334 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:12 AM

Seriously creepy. I get oogidity looking at deer heads on walls.
Lots of fun, a heart the size of Montana, and the mouth of a guttersnipe.

on 12/4/05 at 4:32am bestponymilo wrote: The twisteder© the better!

#5 qhridinGA

qhridinGA

Strongly Worded Southerner

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,870 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:35 AM

I think the freeze dried is a bit over the top...

But the taxidermy doesnt bother me... not of pets. We have7 deer heads in our kitchen....

But... I have told my husband that our lab mix has the most beautiful coat. Seriously. What ever he is mixed with made for a stunning rabbit like coat softness to this dog. With an extreme shine. It would be a total waste to when he dies to bury that beautiful hide and let it go to waste. So yes, I am thinking of tanning his hide. I have fussed at him often enough that I am going to do it for stealing food.... Providing as he ages, his coat stays like it is.
Pinky

One reason a dog is such a lovable creature is he wags his tail instead of his tongue.
Board Buddies I have met: CassienChey (my daughter), Loranbama, PokeysGirl, Racie Gracie, Acesgetngood, PineBarSissy, Painted Joy, Demon's Mom, DustyGirl (Char), Hastflicka, AnnWatersHC (USC Annabelle), HorseCity Admin, Draftiemama, Draftiepapa, HeartFeltFarm, LTR, QTime, Horseles, Tuper, Shelley and Andy Carter, upnoverfarm, The Geek, Pasogirlz, PaintedHorizon, mayday95, Tequilaskye, Cowgirlartist, Forever In Blue Jeans, SpottedTApps, Poldi, Flequus, Rockabilllygal, Spunker's Gal,TRB, Driftin Mom, Driftin Cowgirl and now Florida Cowgirl, MixedUpTease, HarleyNHS, JoAnn, Tuckaway, the original HoofsinMotion, Apps4Life, Ratts, Notyo, BBBlue, Lash, The Sugar Lady, Cactus Rose, Barnbarb , Theo, and now Abadan Arabians, Codysmom and SCspots.

#6 Mudder

Mudder

Keeper of the Wooden Spoons

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 36,500 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:17 AM

How about a custom made casket, and a funeral service.... not once...but twice!! Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Mudder, 17 April 2012 - 10:18 AM.

Sappy's son Hunter is my wooden spoon minion. Hunter ROCKS!!
Due to current financial restraints, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice... stole this from Saudimack
Murderous Mudzie Murtano

#7 missouriDun

missouriDun

President of CRAFT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:18 AM

I've had a lot of dogs over the years and each one was special to me, some better than others.
Last year I lost THE best dog *I* have ever had.
My Oscar was a Rat terrier and was 10 when he died. Even in grief I would not have freeze dried him.....ewwwww...

I might have considered having him cloned before I would have him stuffed and standing dead in my living room....too creepy IMO.:twitch:

He was buried wrapped in his blanket with all of his toys and he does have a marker made out of cedar. DH made it and burned the dates and a pic of Ossy
that I drew.

He's out by the fence next to the pasture....I still miss him...but I could not even imagine him standing here.... in the house.... dead......
Hes GONE and to be reminded every day??? No thanks.

#8 equi-librium

equi-librium

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,903 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:56 AM

creepy.. and a monkey wrench in the grieving/moving on process..

the critter/pet is dead. what benefit does freezedrying it provide, other than being a contant daily reminder? im not saying forget the pet, but in the healthy aspect of moving on after a death(human or pet), i dont see how freezedrying it serves much purpose.. we dont freezedry gramma and put her up in the living room to see everyday, why the heck is fluffy any different?
HC BB's: magicgold, redneckcowgirlmn, spanish_walkin_wannabe, CJF Farrier, Wild Rose, Sundowner Lady, Duns Of Impact, Pepsidog, MareKrazed, The Shamrock Stalker/ROK, DunOvero, ruckandride, RailRoad Woman, Peppers Dad, Stars_Morab, Pelirrojaloca, Tazzin, MRS & imabarrelracer!

#9 Heidi n Q

Heidi n Q

Queen of Cats

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,353 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:57 AM

My biggest concern is what Mudder alluded to; what happens to your pet's remains after you've passed? I could *never* create a situation where my deceased pet would not be treated respectfully.
I made my decision as a teenager in a ... junk shop? ... where I saw a stuffed (or freeze-dried?) Chihuahua. That dog was somebody's loved pet at one time and I was looking at it being disrespected because it was set up in an offensive (to me) display of the dog.
I have the ability of single-minded determination and focu... Hey, look! A horse!
Posted Image

#10 Kyra

Kyra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:15 PM

Not to offend anyone, but I think it's disgusting and creepy. It's not your pet anymore, its just a shell. It would hurt to be reminded that they're dead everyday! When any of my pets die, I want them buried or cremated. I too find stuffing them to be disrespectful. And creepy. Did I say that already? Creepy. :sick:

Posted Image
My best friends; Joe, Barra, Dollar, Luna,Hank, Morning and Reena
And one spunky,animated Quarab,Smoke
My Dogs;Chessa and Reese
*RIP* Dobbin. I love you so much!1982-Nov.15 2005
*RIP* Bitsy. Love you!1968-July 19,2006
*RIP* Bella. You are missed!1987-Feb.8,2008
*RIP* Skittles.

#11 MrsO

MrsO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:21 PM

Kind of creepy. I could see my other cats using their deceased sibling as a scratching post. Yuck.

#12 Ivory Annie

Ivory Annie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,321 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:04 PM

No way no how......I do have a braided piece of horse tail that's always on my dash board in my car from my two deceased horses.....but that's it.....I know where my beloved pets are buried on my grandparents farm and thats good enough for me.....
~Amanda~

"If you go into something, anything, expecting the worst, thats what you will get"

Annie, Brandy, Whinney
Posted Image

#13 BelleoftheBall

BelleoftheBall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:07 PM

I'm thinking a lot creepy!!

#14 CatNip81

CatNip81

The Distroyer of Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:08 PM

People are starting to freak me out. Creepy!

#15 DawnC

DawnC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,665 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:21 PM

Yeuuupppp.

Creepy.

Hides actually don't creep me out though. I guess I see it as a totally different representation?

#16 bonbon

bonbon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:51 PM

I remember a story several years ago about cremating pets/horses and making a "diamond" during the process. I might consider that.

#17 Little Cow

Little Cow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,746 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:06 PM

Yuck.
Is working cattle considered playing with your food?

Home of the ankle biter cows.

Proud veteran.

#18 N4L

N4L

Chief Cat Box Mucker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,927 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:26 AM

I think it's a LOT creepy. I would rather have pictures and happy memories of the pet instead of the freeze-dried corpse sitting in a pet bed. I would like to remember them the way they were, full of life, instead of lying there, not moving.

#19 ***ThreeStarsCorc***

***ThreeStarsCorc***

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:57 AM

My biggest concern is what Mudder alluded to; what happens to your pet's remains after you've passed? I could *never* create a situation where my deceased pet would not be treated respectfully.
I made my decision as a teenager in a ... junk shop? ... where I saw a stuffed (or freeze-dried?) Chihuahua. That dog was somebody's loved pet at one time and I was looking at it being disrespected because it was set up in an offensive (to me) display of the dog.

I saw a lovely victorian era taxidermied pug-ish dog in an antique store years ago. It was in a period glass case with beautiful silk florals and other decorations. It was creepy, very creepy, but if i'd had the money to waste, I would have bought it.

I couldn't do it to one of my own pets though, I don't think. Definitely wouldn't do the freeze dried thing, if I was gonna do it, it would be taxidermy. And good taxidermy is awful pricey. I would have to have a plan/purpose for it too, as I wouldn't want it just collecting dust on the coffee table.

www.elliemonster.com
EllieMonster's FB

#20 Epona142

Epona142

The Goat Whisperer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,674 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:57 PM

Whatever floats your boat. :confused0024:
I can now be reached via PM. Thanks.

#21 Eskielvr

Eskielvr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,270 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:16 PM

I thought about freeze drying or taxidermy for my American Eskimo, Lady. She was my soul dog. Its been almost 5 years since she passed and I think of her every day.

What stopped me (the beside the cost) was what Heidi pointed out.. what would happen to her when I die? ? I didn't want her to end up in a thrift store somewhere..

Smile.... it will make people wonder what you are up too. :happy0203:

#22 thedunwoman

thedunwoman

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:15 PM

have you all seen the tv show on this? he is really a neat person. He has done some odd animals. I seen one day where this guy did a gator, a huge lizard. Its an intresting show to watch.

#23 smokeslastspot

smokeslastspot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:18 PM

I don't think I will be getting any of my pets done. For one thing I have so many of them that if I kept all the deceased ones I've ever had as well as the living ones in the house I would soon need a bigger house to make room for them all. For another it's just the shell of the animal. I still have my memories and nothing can replace those.

I have thought of taking one of my bantams to be done. I work for the livestock and poultry commission so it could be a neat mascot. We used to have a stuffed chicken years ago that belonged to one of the doctors here but she took it when she retired.

The guy on the tv show and his family are really nice, my family has been acquainted with them for years. I live about twenty minutes from his place and my step mother used to be the postmaster in that town so she dealt with a lot of strange shipments coming and going from there. The post office is about the size of my bedroom so sometimes his packages would take up half the post office.
Thor - Paint/Belgian x gelding
Eyore - Donkey
Gidget, Pollyanna, Sunshine, Grimlin - Nigerian Dwarf does
Ivy, DC, Miss Daisy, Eli, Barney - Cats
Basil, Ginger - Miniature Pinchers
Fred - Border Collie
And some chickens, guineas, and fish

#24 dondie

dondie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,075 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:20 AM

When I was a tiny child, my Grandmother used to have a mink stole made with entire minks sewn together.
When she walked, the little heads with their glistening eyes and noses would swing from side to side..the legs with their tiny claws would click and wiggle..the fluffy tails would swing like an angry cat's..as if the angry little minks were trying to scamper away from her.
The thing used to make me feel sick. :thud:

Not a fan of stuffed or mounted critters or fish of any kind. Dozens of glass or plastic eyes all around a room {{{{SHUDDER}}}}.

When the same Grandmother mentioned above died. She left behind the ashes of her favorite cat. My Uncle opened the box and buried the ashes on his property. Much better than ending up on a shelf in the backroom of some thrift store with all the urns filled with some unknown person who was donated with the worldly goods of the last person that loved them.

Edited by dondie, 27 April 2012 - 07:23 AM.

Board Buddies Met: Kina Kat, HeGotSpots! Cholla, I Been Running

#25 nick

nick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,029 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:22 AM

I wouldn't want to be freeze-dried after i pass, so i guess i wouldn't wish that on any of my animals either. i'm an organ donor, so after they've harvested all the usable parts i have instructions to have the rest cremated. which is what i've done with the cats, dogs and horses i've lost. (except for the organ part LOL).

i have kept collars, mane and tail hair and of course pictures and videos as momentos.
nick

#26 palomino_overo

palomino_overo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:26 AM

Creepy, I think that even taxidermy of pets and livestock is a little creepy (sorry Rogers family). But whatever floats your boat I guess.
I met a Board Buddy: SpiffyGirl, robertbel1

R.I.P. : Quite A Ladys Man AKA "Rio" June 10, '95--May 24, '10

"There are two infinite things in the universe: the universe itself and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the former."---Albert Einstein

#27 ***ThreeStarsCorc***

***ThreeStarsCorc***

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:47 PM

I wouldn't want to be freeze-dried after i pass

Wait. Do they freeze dry people?! Is that an option?!

www.elliemonster.com
EllieMonster's FB

#28 N4L

N4L

Chief Cat Box Mucker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,927 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:34 PM

TSC, I don't think it's legal. Not for people, anyway.

#29 Heidi n Q

Heidi n Q

Queen of Cats

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,353 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:50 AM

I think the closest anyone can get is the "Bodies" exhibits?
I have the ability of single-minded determination and focu... Hey, look! A horse!
Posted Image

#30 Hibiscus

Hibiscus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,340 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:18 AM

I wouldn't. I would however, have my "heart" animals cremated. I was planning on have my heart horse cremated and have a custom wooden trunk built for his ashes, but he was given away without my consent. I like the LifeGem idea, but a 1/10ct diamond is over $2k. Up to $12k for a little under 1ct. Expensive and could be lost. Hard to lose a 500-600lb trunk of ashes or an urn. I'm also really into horsehair pottery. A good friend lost a horse that she had for well over 20 years. He tought me how to ride and was a true character. Massive colic. He was 33 and surgery just wasn't an option at his age. The tubed him several times but everything just came back out his nose. Vet was out several times. While the vet was on the way, I gave him one last good groom, including brushing out his wisp of a mane and tail. Was trying to figure out something nice to do for the friend and stumbled upon horsehair pottery on Google. Took the tail hair that fell out while he was being brushed and had it made into a personal and one of a kind memorial. I had just cleaned my brushes, so I knew that the hair was all his.

Had this made and it was just beautiful in person with his name on it. His name was Rocky.
http://www.myhorsear...HORSE-ORNAMENTS
The 4th one down. "Ball Ornament"