33 replies to this topic

#1 sddeadeye

sddeadeye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 02:37 PM

So, I took Dutch to the vet today. First the receptionist was telling me all about how he's only the second dog of his type she's ever seen since she's been in the business. Then the vet was awed by his taped ears and was asking me about them. No big deal. I think the ears look akward taped myself. I don't plan on re-taping them when they come undone. I couldn't care less if his ears tip or not. :P

So, we went for a bit of socialzation at Petco. We were approached by one of their staff members. "What kind of dog is that? He looks...weird. I don't think I've ever seen one before."

And so it begins....

Tonight is our first puppy class. I wonder how many other people will be asking what type of alien dog I brought with me. :happy0203:

Edited by sddeadeye, 07 June 2012 - 02:59 PM.

#2 sddeadeye

sddeadeye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 02:52 PM

And here's a few pictures of Mr. Smooth himself. :wub:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Enjoying a nice roll in the shade.
Posted Image

Posted Image

He's only been home a day and I'm already falling head over heels for him. The corgi isn't too sure yet, but she has started engaging him in play. Usually she goes and wakes him up and then runs away from him to hide and watch. Little turd.

#3 ohNine

ohNine

Cowgirls don't cry...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,214 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 03:05 PM

Awwww! He's so cute! We have to have a play date with the doggies soon, I will make sure Boone doesn't squish him, lol!

Also, I really want my SO to see him too, maybe I can talk him into a Collie yet! :ph34r:
...Boots are made for sawdust floors, stirrups on a quarter horse. To kick yourself when you've been a fool, climbin' up on bar stools. Two steppin' under neon lights, ain't too bad in a bar room fight. For kickin' off when you're tired and sore, that's what boots are for...

#4 Sayge

Sayge

Monster Tamer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,366 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 03:14 PM

Love him! I really adore collies. My DH might be talked into a smooth one :)

Owned by:

Tilly Monster- 10 yr old North American Spotted Draft
Kisser Lou- 9 yr old MFT cross

Banjo- 7 yr old Spotted Draft
Yoko Oh No!- 3 yr old Australian Shepherd
Ming Ling- 1 yr old Boston Terrier cross

Jefe and Pepe- Black headed caiques 

#5 sddeadeye

sddeadeye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 03:17 PM

Awwww! He's so cute! We have to have a play date with the doggies soon, I will make sure Boone doesn't squish him, lol!

Also, I really want my SO to see him too, maybe I can talk him into a Collie yet! :ph34r:

I'm sure he would love a playdate. I think your SO would like him. He's a very sweet pup. He's quite the talker too. Kind of reminds me of my last GSD. He mumbles when he's chewing toys and groans when he gets put in his kennel. I'm so glad I went with the smooth version this time around though. His breeder is holding back one of his rough-coated sisters and I was so glad the easy-maintenance version was coming home when I left!

#6 Avishay04

Avishay04

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 03:23 PM

What a cutie pie!! :D
"I'll gladly take ten seconds in the saddle, for a lifetime of watching from the stands" - Chris LeDoux

"A lovely horse is always an experience.... It is an emotional experience of the kind that is spoiled by words." ~Beryl Markham

My ebay. Because I have a tack addiction lol http://myworld.ebay.com/shayandrosie

#7 ohNine

ohNine

Cowgirls don't cry...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,214 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 03:36 PM

I'm sure he would love a playdate. I think your SO would like him. He's a very sweet pup. He's quite the talker too. Kind of reminds me of my last GSD. He mumbles when he's chewing toys and groans when he gets put in his kennel. I'm so glad I went with the smooth version this time around though. His breeder is holding back one of his rough-coated sisters and I was so glad the easy-maintenance version was coming home when I left!

My GSD is the same way. He is very vocal, especially when playing, he sounds like a bear, haha.
...Boots are made for sawdust floors, stirrups on a quarter horse. To kick yourself when you've been a fool, climbin' up on bar stools. Two steppin' under neon lights, ain't too bad in a bar room fight. For kickin' off when you're tired and sore, that's what boots are for...

#8 missouriDun

missouriDun

President of CRAFT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 03:49 PM

If those people were young...?...I'm not surprised they didn't know the breed of Collie. It's been years since *I* have seen anyone with a Collie.
I was born in the "Lassie" years so I know Collies and had a couple growing up... :smilie:

Times and favorite breeds have changed.
I heard, {a long time ago} that Collies had gotten too inbred during the popular years and the result was a narrower nose
which caused breathing problems.

I don't know if there is any truth to that. :confused0024:
Love your boy. Brings back some memories for me And, he's handsome too!

#9 sddeadeye

sddeadeye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:14 PM

Oh, I'm not making fun of people not knowing the breed. I knew when I got him that I would be getting asked lots of questions. Especially when people are used to the rough version. So far, everyone who has asked has been older than me. :winking:

I don't know about the narrower nose myth or not. I do know the breed has been plagued by other health issues such as eye problems and medicine sensitivity.

#10 440

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:51 PM

We had 2 rough coated collies. The first lived 17 years, the second, 8. Shane, the second collie. came from the actual "Lassie" owner and breeder. He started having seizures at about 5 months, then developed Lymphoma and lived about 6 months after the diagnosis. The newer breeding seem to be more sensitive to chemicals, as the vet said that lawn chemicals were,in his opinion, the main reason for that disease.

#11 Eskielvr

Eskielvr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,272 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:22 PM

Oh my... I love him.

He is simply gorgeous.

Smile.... it will make people wonder what you are up too. :happy0203:

#12 mehpenn

mehpenn

Christian Cowgirl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,143 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:16 PM

:drool:

He is fabulous! :wub:

Makes me want one.... :ph34r:

~Mary~
Penley Farms

~*You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment.*~

#13 N4L

N4L

Chief Cat Box Mucker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,930 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:08 PM

He's cute and handsome at the same time!! I love the Smoothies. A friend of mine had a tri-color one back in the late 70s-mid 80s. She was a very smart dog, and a lot of people asked what breed she was. I would like to find a blue merle Smoothie.

#14 hequestrian

hequestrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 11:11 PM

He looks like a ham and... I love him! So cute. Congrats on the new guy! :yahoo:

Posted Image
Equestrian At Hart - My Blog

There is no secret so close as that between a rider and her horse.

#15 arielmarie

arielmarie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 11:14 PM

If I were you I would mess with people....make up a breed and have fun! Oh he's a farfluglugen......you've never heard of one? Wow....I thought everyone had heard of them! They are great dogs! I'm sure some of the more creative members here could come up with some great stories for you to use!

#16 Char

Char

Alis volat propriis

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,154 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:03 AM

Have you tried giving him vitamins. That was what was suggested to us by our vet when our GSD ears were having trouble standing up.

He's beautiful. Love the color!
Char
HC Admin

"bite me"

"Keep your lips red, your mind set and your hair long. Oh my darlin' cowgirl, keep your head up and your heart strong."

I've met LOTS of board buddies!

My Grands.... Heath, Noah, Darcie, Jonah and Cam

#17 sddeadeye

sddeadeye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:47 AM

Have you tried giving him vitamins. That was what was suggested to us by our vet when our GSD ears were having trouble standing up.

He's beautiful. Love the color!

His ears stand up just fine. They are just taped so they will tip at the top like the standard calls for. If they weren't taped, they would stand straight up like a GSD's. I don't plan on showing him in conformation so once this set of tapes fall out, I don't plan on re-taping them back into position. Usually breeders tape them for the first several months-at least through teething-to try to get that proper collie tip.

#18 sddeadeye

sddeadeye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:48 AM

I appreciate all the compliments on our new boy. I think he's quite handsome myself. :wub: Hard to tell he was born with merle spots, isn't it?

#19 qhridinGA

qhridinGA

Strongly Worded Southerner

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,875 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:51 AM

You want a collies ears to be tipped over at the ends. Not standing up. If he is a pet, I wouldnt bother. He is quite beautiful.

I cannot believe people cannot recognize a collie. Even a smooth one.... I see them quite often.

Try going to town with an Ibizan Hound... the idiots abound. :rolleye0014: And they all think they can feed my dog better than me. Because I starve him....:thud: He is actually considered heavy by other beezer people.... I like him to be pretty well fleshed. But because you can see 3 ribs I have people saying that he is malnourished and I should feed him... If they only knew that my starving 55lb coursing dog actually eats 6 cups of dog food a day...
Pinky

One reason a dog is such a lovable creature is he wags his tail instead of his tongue.
Board Buddies I have met: CassienChey (my daughter), Loranbama, PokeysGirl, Racie Gracie, Acesgetngood, PineBarSissy, Painted Joy, Demon's Mom, DustyGirl (Char), Hastflicka, AnnWatersHC (USC Annabelle), HorseCity Admin, Draftiemama, Draftiepapa, HeartFeltFarm, LTR, QTime, Horseles, Tuper, Shelley and Andy Carter, upnoverfarm, The Geek, Pasogirlz, PaintedHorizon, mayday95, Tequilaskye, Cowgirlartist, Forever In Blue Jeans, SpottedTApps, Poldi, Flequus, Rockabilllygal, Spunker's Gal,TRB, Driftin Mom, Driftin Cowgirl and now Florida Cowgirl, MixedUpTease, HarleyNHS, JoAnn, Tuckaway, the original HoofsinMotion, Apps4Life, Ratts, Notyo, BBBlue, Lash, The Sugar Lady, Cactus Rose, Barnbarb , Theo, and now Abadan Arabians, Codysmom and SCspots.

#20 farah

farah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:01 AM

I have 2 Chesapeakes and I always get people asking me if they are 1) lab mixes or 2) labradoodles! And when I say, no they are Chessies, the next question is why are they curly?

Your boy is adorable!

#21 cvs

cvs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:45 PM

Love Him!!

I have two Smooth coats, 1 tri- color and 1 sable and white. We never bothered with the ear taping.
They are brothers and 5 years old. One is a little crazy and the other laid back. There is also 25lbs difference in their weight.
You just don't see many Collies at all anymore.

#22 JumperOverWater88

JumperOverWater88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,384 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:56 PM

I can't believe people don't recognize a collie when they see one!!!

He looks like a great addition to your family! Such a pretty boy!!
22766_747764112828_26724985_42120426_201

I've Met A HC Buddy: FloridaCowGirl!

#23 sddeadeye

sddeadeye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:36 PM

A couple people asked me about him at puppy class last night. One has shelties and knew he was a collie. Another guessed he was at least part collie. So not too bad. There are some dog breeds I have trouble identifying too (mostly the fluffy toy breeds). I don't mind people asking me questions about him. I am always open to talking to people about dogs. :smilie:

cvs-Glad to see another collie owner on the boards. I know there is at least one other one floating around that has a gorgeous rough coat.

qh-Yeah, I don't have any plans of showing him in conformation. The breeder has been taping his ears along with his sister's who she is holding back for showing. I like the tipped collie ears, but not enough to keep up with taping. If they end up standing straight up after this set of taping, then oh well. It's definitely not a deal breaker for me. My goals for him are basically OB and agility. I would love to do some therapy work with him too, but I don't know if we'll do that or not.

farah-I misidentified a Chessie once. I saw a chocolate lab with an abnormally curly coat and I asked the owner if he was a Chessie. :ashamed0002:

#24 Mestengo

Mestengo

Servant to the Little Prince

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,938 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:23 PM

cvs-Glad to see another collie owner on the boards. I know there is at least one other one floating around that has a gorgeous rough coat

That might be my tri-colored girl, Skye, who is every bit as smart and as sweet as she is lovely. Of course I said the same thing about my last dog, Ceilidh, who was a collie-golden cross. I really love collies. They're the only dogs I'll own.

Dutch is very, very handsome. I'm sure he'll be a terrific companion for you and your family.

Congrats!

Mestengo

My gallery

I met a Board Buddy: Lora, Teddybear9, BarnBarb831, HBRider_1, myoldhorse, and meeker_gurl8789.

#25 sddeadeye

sddeadeye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:28 PM

That might be my tri-colored girl, Skye, who is every bit as smart and as sweet as she is lovely. Of course I said the same thing about my last dog, Ceilidh, who was a collie-golden cross. I really love collies. They're the only dogs I'll own.

Dutch is very, very handsome. I'm sure he'll be a terrific companion for you and your family.

Congrats!

Mestengo

Yep, I'm pretty sure it was you I was thinking of. I couldn't remember your username, but recalled seeing a picture of her at one time.

#26 Kina Kat

Kina Kat

I'll be your huckleberry.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,651 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 03:01 AM

Sooooooooooo handsome!

He mumbles when he's chewing toys and groans when he gets put in his kennel.

Aw!

To those who are shocked that people don't recognize a smooth-coat, I've never seen one in real life. And I'm a dog freak, so if there was one around, I'd probably notice it. So I'm not terribly surprised people aren't familiar with them.

I have 2 Chesapeakes and I always get people asking me if they are 1) lab mixes or 2) labradoodles! And when I say, no they are Chessies, the next question is why are they curly?

Your boy is adorable!

I saw a Chessie today and thought of you.

Edited by Kina Kat, 10 June 2012 - 03:02 AM.

#27 nightdreamer

nightdreamer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:13 AM

I think the kid at petco just didn't know what they were talking about! ha He looks sooo much like a collie! I think it's the short hair that would make somebody think that.

#28 sddeadeye

sddeadeye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:19 AM

The smooth coat is what catches people off guard. I don't mind people coming up and asking about him at all. It just makes for more socialization experiences for the pup. :winking: A lot of people recognize him as at least part collie due to his face. One dog food salesman at Petco yesterday after telling her he was pure collie said "Oh, I see. He's just shaved".

When people think of collies, they think of Lassie. I get that. If people are open enough to come up to me and ask me about him, I am very willing to stop and answer their questions.

#29 nightdreamer

nightdreamer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:23 AM

ha It's ok. I think my border collie looks picture perfect like a border collie and nobody knows what he is! He's even registered. Somebody that has 4 bernese mt. dogs came up to me and thought thats what he was!!?? C'mon lady!

#30 sddeadeye

sddeadeye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:28 AM

ha It's ok. I think my border collie looks picture perfect like a border collie and nobody knows what he is! He's even registered. Somebody that has 4 bernese mt. dogs came up to me and thought thats what he was!!?? C'mon lady!

Lol! I used to have a sable/white border collie and even despite the color, most people around here still recognized him as a BC regardless.