• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SecretHavenFarm

SecretHavenFarm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 298 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:09 PM

I am just wondering if there is any benefit for a horse with ringbone to have shoes on? All my boys are barefoot, but would putting front shoes with some kind of pad be helpful to him?
AQHA Quick Golden Cowboy Rose Grey Gelding
Sage Grullo BLM Mustang Gelding
AHA TC Naffalkin Bay Arabian Gelding

#2 Southerngurl01

Southerngurl01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:44 PM

I would expect anything rigid would only serve to cause more concussion and make it worse. Perhaps a plastic shoe might work but if it was my horse, it would be barefoot.

Might check out fir meadow LLC and see if she has an herbal product that could help.
Ashley

Owner of Zip and Doc, also have dairy goats, chickens and cats, and three dogs, Missy (the ancient- 17), Allie (the GOOD dog) and Safara (the dog's dog)

Flint River Ranch Natural Pet Food
Nubian, Toggenburg Dairy Goats in Arkansas
Ozark Herbal Association - Superfood, Supertonic, Echinacea, Liver Flushes...

#3 storey

storey

Deviously Artistic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:08 AM

If he's sound and your just worried about further damage maybe using boots with pads when you ride would be a good option? Im not too familiar with ringbone so I'm not quite sure on that. Do you have any x-rays you wouldn't mind sharing? I'm curious to see what ringbone looks like.

#4 SecretHavenFarm

SecretHavenFarm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 298 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:13 AM

Stores, unfortunately he is not sound. I stopped riding him three years ago, on the day I found out. I usually have him in old macs, which do help alot, but was just wondering if shoes pads may have been a better option.

I do have his X-ray tho, and will post them as soon as I get back from stuff I have to do this morning, they are not the clearest, but they still may be helpful to you :)
AQHA Quick Golden Cowboy Rose Grey Gelding
Sage Grullo BLM Mustang Gelding
AHA TC Naffalkin Bay Arabian Gelding

#5 missyclare

missyclare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,822 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:54 AM

Basically, ringbone is just another name for arthritis. Xrays will tell you whether high or low and how much its progressed. The xrays will also determine if its articular ringbone, which is more serious because the joint is involved.
Otherwise, I'm with Storey. Shoes will not lessen the impact/pain, but a good balanced trim, all torque removed from the hoof, and good mechanism help greatly in managing it and finding comfort for the horse. I think the right answer for all pathologies is to get balanced and functional and you lessen the aggravation that caused it. Pads would certainly make concussion less than a steel shoe, including the free foot that has function.

Missyclare at 27 this year is sitting in the Cushings room simply because of her age, even though she's not Cushingoid. So I have to be careful and not promote anything IR/Cushings related. So I treat her like an IR horse, hoping not to go there. I suspect her knees and others, but won't be able to afford xrays to know for sure. My vet has a digital machine and the cost is huge. I would think only a lateral view would do the trick to seeing it. It will also show you how the bone is balanced in the hoof and you'd be able to perfectly balance the trim from it.
Missyclare went through years of LH/LT syndrome. She was lightly used, but still had to carry her weight. When I take back the toe and put a strong bevel on it, she is more comfortable immediately. It takes the jam away at breakover, from going up her leg....removes the aggravation and relieves the arthritis. The change in her comfort is profound every time she leaves the trim area. Best medicine ever, as far as I'm concerned. She fared well on flax for a couple of years. That good omega 3 to 6 balance helped a lot, but last winter I decided that she needed more. I knew Glucosamine promoted IR, along with Yucca, so I started looking harder. Turns out a fellow student of Dr. Kellon's created an herbal supplement with Dr. Kellon's guidance and approval called Mov-Ease. Its got a "proprietary" blend of herbs, which means I'll never know what all is in it, but it does have Devil's Claw instead and considering where it came from, I took the leap of faith. Her movement and confidence are improved greatly.
Then Walter, who injured his stifle last Christmas and was 3-legged lame for 6 weeks, put his foot down finally and started walking on it 2 weeks later. For him, I'm also using individual therapeutic doses for shark and HA that I also got after the Mov-Ease, because his was a joint injury.

The Mov-Ease lasts for a couple of months and is only $50. Delivery time is excellent for coming to Canada, along with any advise needed.

For someone who never supplemented anything for years, I'm happy with this outcome. This product was created in class, so the students know about it, but if you Google it, you won't find anything. This is the link that will take you there. mybesthorse.com I found it frustrating that there was little information on the site, but the students have had conversations on it class, so I got an idea of it, heard their feedback and just decided to have faith.
I've been avoiding jumping on the commercial band wagon of supplements for years. That's why I took the nutrition course. I didn't want to be forced to jump on that bandwagon in the end. Now I know what's needed and what's not needed and can read the lies right on the labels. I am able to jump up on that wagon and give them a run for their money instead of becoming a meek follower with open pockets. After years of disdain, I now have knowledge and ammunition in my pocket. That was my goal....why I took the nutrition course in the first place, along with the barefoot trim leading me into it. With Missyclare's advancing age, I knew it was all going to come down on me in the end and atleast I could try to be smart about it. I have no regrets from this journey. :smilie:

My advice would be to get balanced and stay there, adding padding if necessary..promote movement and development and if there's a call for added help...definitely check the Mov-Ease out. It certainly helped mine.

Hope this helps....

Edited by missyclare, 08 June 2012 - 10:05 AM.

#6 storey

storey

Deviously Artistic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:54 AM

Neat thanks!