21 replies to this topic

#1 Eskielvr

Eskielvr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 06:54 PM

OK, first of all, please forgive me if this is a jumbled mess. I am going to try to explain the situation as best as I can, with all the knowledge that I have.

Mare at the barn I board is about 5 years old. She is very stunted in growth and maybe looks like a long yearling. She is stunted cause her owners do not feed her enough. Their feeding schedule consists of either 1 flake of the cheapest hay that they can find a day. Or, if they cant find hay, then this girl gets a one shovel of alfalfa cubes a day. They have no interaction at all with the horse. Her feet have been done once in the year and a half I have been at the barn.

Now, the only reason that this mare is not skin and bones is because several of the boarders feed her extra, myself included. We throw an extra flake as often as we can. Or will give her another shovel of cubes. It is heart wrenching to walk by her stall and have her nicker at you cause she is hungry.

Her owners basically refuse to sell. They have no interest in having a horse, but think she is worth way more than she is. They have said that they will sell her for $800! In todays market, they would be lucky to give her away. She is not broke. I don't think she is even really halter broken all that well. I tried to brush her the other day and it kinda freaked her out. The owners have nothing to do with this little girl.. as a matter of fact, she went two days without water in the 95 degree weather that we were having, until I and another boarder filled her tub.

So, my thought is that we can not get animal control involved unless the mare is skinny.. and the only way to have her be skinny is to have the other boarders not feed her. It breaks my heart to consider it, but I don't know what else to do.

Do you all have any other ideas, besides stealing her away in the middle of the night???? :happy0203:

Smile.... it will make people wonder what you are up too. :happy0203:

#2 loopyhorse

loopyhorse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 06:58 PM

Could you document with pictures and such when she is out of water? That should be enough to get animal control to at least check her... Maybe that would bother/scare the owners enough to sell her/give her away? :confused0024:
Reba

#3 nightdreamer

nightdreamer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 07:17 PM

why does the owner of the barn put up with somebody that clearly does not properly take care of their horse?? I'm not blaming the owner of the barn but there are many people that knew and many steps that could be taken!! Owner of the barn needs to put their foot down and get proper care for the horse.

#4 N4L

N4L

Chief Cat Box Mucker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 07:22 PM

These people have no business owning this horse. That is no way to treat her. I feel sorry for her, and hope she can get someone to love her, and treat her the way she deserves to be treated. If you really don't want the animal, don't get it in the first place.

#5 Eskielvr

Eskielvr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 07:36 PM

Nightdreamer... this is a complete 100% self care barn. It is a very unusual place. The owner of the place passed away 15 years ago. His wife decided to not sell, and her son in law "manages" the place. He comes and collects the checks which are put in a lock box. He does change light bulbs and then he is there working in the garden that is on the place. He knows NOTHING about horses, and doesn't care about them at all. He has said more than once that he wouldn't care if they knocked the barn over and just used the property to park his toys on.
So, as long as they clean out the stall once a month or so, he doesn't interfere with the horse care at all.

#6 BelleoftheBall

BelleoftheBall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 07:38 PM

Eskie - I would get signed statements from the other boarders, saying what you just told us. I would talk to the barn owner privately especially if you are afraid of repercussions. I would take pictures and of course I would nag animal control relentlessly.Has anyone contacted animal control, maybe they could be secretly watching, I hope!! I am so sorry for the horse and feel really bad that you and the other boarders have to be a part of this, I sure wish I could come up with a sure fire plan.

#7 Eskielvr

Eskielvr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 07:48 PM

See Belle... I am afraid to make to much of a huge stink. This place is smack dab in the middle of the city, and I am sure that they would love to see this place torn down and the place sold of for houses.. more taxes you know?

Most of us out there take good care of our horses.. there are just a few that I question some times. I believe the basics should be done. This girl doesn't get the basics, and it is sad.
Another guy out there feeds well, and cleans his stalls. His horse get their turn out time, but he doesn't believe in trimming feet :rolleye0014: . Said his vet told him that letting their feet get long stretches the tendons... Idk. such a different place.

#8 ***ThreeStarsCorc***

***ThreeStarsCorc***

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:08 AM

It's hard to say. I've been there myself, and gave hay to the horse sometimes, even though I probably shouldn't have. AC was eventually involved, which lead to the owner making the horse go poof, which wasn't a very good resolution. It sounds like that horse was in worse shape than the one you're talking about, but otherwise, it was a fairly similar situation.

The thing is, people who treat their animals badly are often bad at other parts of life too, and you and the other boarders who are helping are putting yourselves at risk for having to deal with a boatload of crazy. How do you think the owners would react if they came in and you were grooming or feeding their horse? And even if they seem ok with it, do you think they would be if the horse was injured while you were messing with it and they suddenly had vet bills to pay? What if the horse colics and dies- you all could be taken to court and possibly held liable for it.

I know it's almost impossible to turn a blind eye to a horse in need when you have the ability to help it some, but that may be the best way to handle it. Quit covering for that person and get AC involved. If the other horses on the property are all in good condition, it won't close down the facility or anything- it'll be between the owner and AC, no one else.

www.elliemonster.com
EllieMonster's FB

#9 BelleoftheBall

BelleoftheBall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 01:16 AM

Eskie - I totally understand what you are dealing with and I sure wouldn't want you to lose the place you keep your girl, close to the house and everything. What is your feel for the horse's owners....are they "normal" folk? IDK, what do the other boarders think? In this situation I feel like you kind of all need to be on the same page. Sad situation.....why can't people just FEED their animals and treat them right, it just makes me sick!

#10 Kina Kat

Kina Kat

I'll be your huckleberry.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,666 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 01:27 AM

Have you guys talked to the horse owners about your concerns?

Edited by Kina Kat, 10 June 2012 - 01:27 AM.

#11 Ann Wheeler

Ann Wheeler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,922 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 03:53 AM

So, my thought is that we can not get animal control involved unless the mare is
skinny.. and the only way to have her be skinny is to have the other boarders
not feed her. It breaks my heart to consider it, but I don't know what else to
do.

Do this...

Eskie - I would get signed statements from the other boarders, saying what you
just told us. I would talk to the barn owner privately especially if you are
afraid of repercussions. I would take pictures and of course I would nag animal
control relentlessly.Has anyone contacted animal control, maybe they could be
secretly watching, I hope!! I am so sorry for the horse and feel really bad
that you and the other boarders have to be a part of this, I sure wish I could
come up with a sure fire
plan.

See Belle... I am afraid to make to much of a huge stink. This place is smack dab in the middle of the city, and I am sure that they would love to see this place torn down and the place sold of for houses.. more taxes you know?

So if you make stink about it now...afraid of recuperrisions, place would be shut down....yet if you let the mare starve, then call in AC, still won't have recuperrsions, place won't be shut down? There have been places shut down for that very same fact, one strarved horse.... on the property.
It will be more of stink...IF AC wasn't called in beforehand,.....Will be investigating everyone involved, will be asking questions why they allowed this to happen etc..

Edited by Ann Wheeler, 10 June 2012 - 04:07 AM.

#12 ***ThreeStarsCorc***

***ThreeStarsCorc***

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:48 AM

Rereading my reply this am, I want to make it clear that I'm not saying "quit caring for it and wait until horse is skinny, then call AC" because it kind of reads like that- because I said 'if the other horses are in good condition'- and that implies the mare would not be, though I didn't mean it that way.

What I meant was quit caring for the horse, make contact with an AC officer, then call that officer whenever there is a problem- i.e. "horse was not fed yesterday" "It's hot, horse hasn't had water in 4 hours" etc. Honestly, early intervention by AC can really help clueless owners- if your AC is good, they'll provide the owner w/ a list of minimal care standards in your state. And there's the chance that after talking to AC, the owner will see how much more work they're going to have to put in to stay out of trouble, and will reconsider owning a horse. You don't have to let the horse get skinny if you can establish good rapport with an AC officer. Be very cool, calm and collected in all contact with them, tell them that you need his/her help for intervention in a situation that has the potential to deteriorate rapidly and see where it gets you. Don't exaggerate anything. Don't be emotional about it. And don't give up if one person blows you off, talk to another.

www.elliemonster.com
EllieMonster's FB

#13 BelleoftheBall

BelleoftheBall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 03:05 PM

I love what you said 3 Stars! Great advice!

#14 Eskielvr

Eskielvr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 04:26 PM

Rereading my reply this am, I want to make it clear that I'm not saying "quit caring for it and wait until horse is skinny, then call AC" because it kind of reads like that- because I said 'if the other horses are in good condition'- and that implies the mare would not be, though I didn't mean it that way.

What I meant was quit caring for the horse, make contact with an AC officer, then call that officer whenever there is a problem- i.e. "horse was not fed yesterday" "It's hot, horse hasn't had water in 4 hours" etc. Honestly, early intervention by AC can really help clueless owners- if your AC is good, they'll provide the owner w/ a list of minimal care standards in your state. And there's the chance that after talking to AC, the owner will see how much more work they're going to have to put in to stay out of trouble, and will reconsider owning a horse. You don't have to let the horse get skinny if you can establish good rapport with an AC officer. Be very cool, calm and collected in all contact with them, tell them that you need his/her help for intervention in a situation that has the potential to deteriorate rapidly and see where it gets you. Don't exaggerate anything. Don't be emotional about it. And don't give up if one person blows you off, talk to another.

Thank you.! This is great advice. I plan on contacting AC tomorrow and speaking to them. I will give them the gist of what is happening and go from there. All the horses on the property are cared for pretty well except a few that don't do feet.

I am not going to feed her anymore. It was heartbreaking this morning, when I walked by her stall and she was nickering and bobbing her head. All the other horses were eating, cept her. :mecry:

I will keep you all updated.

#15 BelleoftheBall

BelleoftheBall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 07:46 PM

Awwwww Eskie - that would kill me to walk past while she is nickering.....hopefully it will all be for the good. Please keep track of when she hasn't been fed. You are a good person for trying to do the right thing!

#16 Eskielvr

Eskielvr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:36 PM

And so u guys don't think I am exaggerating about the feet, here is a pic of the one horse who the owner doesn't trim..

Posted Image

#17 N4L

N4L

Chief Cat Box Mucker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:38 PM

Wow--those feet are horrible!!! Poor horse.

#18 BeRandee

BeRandee

US Army Soldier

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts
    Current -Camp Hovey, S. Korea

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:04 PM

And so u guys don't think I am exaggerating about the feet, here is a pic of the one horse who the owner doesn't trim..

Posted Image

Have yoy mentioned to him what it would feel like to be in that state? Tell him to pull back on his fingernail... Thats exactly what he's doing to his horse.... what a jerk...

*Brandee*
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
R.I.P. Riley boy...We will miss you!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Currently stuck in South Korea, headed to Kentucky next

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Formerly, Sexy_Salty

#19 Tuckaway

Tuckaway

Dog Whisperer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 47,497 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 01:35 PM

I could not stop feeding or watering the horse. But I would document every time I did and what I fed.

Tohi,

"Tuck"

Posted Image

#20 loopyhorse

loopyhorse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 01:48 PM

Most of us out there take good care of our horses.. there are just a few that I question some times. I believe the basics should be done. This girl doesn't get the basics, and it is sad.
Another guy out there feeds well, and cleans his stalls. His horse get their turn out time, but he doesn't believe in trimming feet :rolleye0014: . Said his vet told him that letting their feet get long stretches the tendons... Idk. such a different place.

The vet may have said it stretches the tendons, but what he/she probably meant is it stresses/puts tension on the tendons. Like not in a good way :rolleye0014: Nice job on that owners part hearing what they want.

I hope the horse in question gets the help needed soon! And as an added bonus, maybe the hoof guy will get a clue. :smileywavey:
Reba

#21 Ann Wheeler

Ann Wheeler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,922 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 06:19 AM

Hope all works out....for the best

#22 goldentoes

goldentoes

can't stop singing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,374 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 06:38 AM

Despite the fact that the barn owner doesn't seem to care, he NEEDS to be made aware. As owner of the property, if there are multiple horses being neglected there (here, anyway, lack of foot care is considered neglect and is actionable), he could in some way be held liable.
"It's a topsy-turvy world, and maybe the problems of two people don't amount to a hill of beans. But this is our hill. And these are our beans!"

Keep Up With CANTER Mid-Atlantic at My Blog!