#1 Sakura18

Sakura18

Why the long face?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:51 AM

Posted Image

Here is my future driving pony. I recently got into driving through a friend,she has been teaching my fiance and I how to drive,harness,and hook the cart up. I get to drive the Shetland pony that I gave her. My fiance mentioned that he would like to get into driving his own horse. I went to an Amish horse auction and saw this little guy. He is supposed to be a yearling stud pony colt. No other information available about his past. He is wormy and thin,but we are working on that. Oh,and I paid $45 for him. He stands for shots,worming,and flyspray. I think I already got a heck of a deal!

My friend and her fiance are going to build us a homemade cart for him. They built a nice one for the Shetland.
Owned by:
Sugar-7yr Molly Mule
Little Twister-4yr John Mule
Raven-5yr Morgan Gelding
BJ-9yr farmdog
Dingo-3yr Imo Inu x mutt
RIP 2/5/12 Riley-22yr Appaloosa Gelding~always in my heart. Love ya old man. </3

You can't beat a dead horse,but you can drag it around the square!

You know you're a horse person when...
your boyfriend complains that you love your horse more than you love him and you say: "And your point is..?"
...no one wants to ride in your car because they'll get sweet feed and hay in their socks and on their clothes...but that's ok because you'll have to rearrange all the tack to make room for them anyway!

#2 Sakura18

Sakura18

Why the long face?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:53 AM

And he has overgrown hooves,but will let me pick them all up with no problems. And he can be handled by the kids. :yahoo:
Owned by:
Sugar-7yr Molly Mule
Raven-5yr Morgan Gelding
BJ-9yr farmdog
Dingo-3yr Imo Inu x mutt
RIP 2/5/12 Riley-22yr Appaloosa Gelding~always in my heart. Love ya old man. </3

your boyfriend complains that you love your horse more than you love him and you say: "And your point is..?"
...no one wants to ride in your car because they'll get sweet feed and hay in their socks and on their clothes...but that's ok because you'll have to rearrange all the tack to make room for them anyway!

#3 goodhors

goodhors

• Members
  • Pip
  • 126 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:37 PM

You might want to "read up" on Hackney ponies, learn how they are a bit different than the other pony breeds.

One of the features is his action, which is the natural lifting of the knees and hocks. Part of this is his
longer NATURALLY longer toes, which give him a thick sole for protection, usually proportionate (which can
appear BIG for his size) hooves for his body. Many breeds have developed quite small hooves for their size,
which don't take the miles of work very well. Quarter Horses are at the head of that list, with tiny hooves
under large bodies.

So the main thing with a Hackney Pony, is to not let him be trimmed too short and create problems for him.
Get his body back to better health, but let him grow slowly, not over feeding him. Don't push him too fast
either, strong bodies take time, with his MATURE growth coming at about 6 years.

With no papers, he should be gelded pretty quick, so he doesn't get any "ideas" about being a stallion, or stallion
habits started. Gelding early might let him get a bit taller as well, growth goes to height not hormones! His brain
is not ready for very much in lessons, just have short attention spans until he is more mature at about 3-4. He can
wear harness and get used to it, but I wouldn't be driving him before age 3yrs, and only SHORT distance or times.

With Driving, it is SO EASY to overdo a young animal. YOU can sit in a carriage and NEVER get tired or sore,
going for great distances. This is very unlike RIDDEN animals stating out, with short sessions under saddle.

Your BF should enjoy this pony a lot in time. Hackney is rather like a Sports Car in Driving, has action, speed,
with being very responsive to the Driver. They are sturdy, for all the high action, good workers and usable for
many years.

Sounds like you bought a "bunch of fun!" for future activities. Your BF might like to take some Driving lessons and
gain skills for handling an often "hot" breed in the future. If he is at all competitive, there are lots of Driving
things he can get involved with as the pony gets mature. Hackney is also a great road pony, willing and able to go
for distances in country driving pulling the both of you.

There are MANY kinds of vehicles sized to fit a Hackney pony, to suit the jobs you want him to do. I know as a beginning driver that finding ANY vehicle is exciting and the friend making them might seem like a gift. However in my experience, there are MANY vehicle builders, but they often are not that good at design. Vehicles can be clunky, overly heavy in construction, with poor proportions. With pony so young, you may want to WAIT to purchase a vehicle. Educate yourself
by attending Driving activities, see what other folks are driving. Auctions can help develop your eyes, as the lineup puts newer and older designs next to each other. I see the older vehicles being more graceful, better proportioned, than many new ones. There ARE new carriage makers who can do good design, but you need to learn the names before choosing.

An interesting magazine of Driving is the Driving Digest, which covers all kinds of light horse Driving activities, and has advertising for any kind of Driving accessories.

http://www.drivingdigest.com/

The two National Driving groups are the American Driving Society, and the Carriage Association of America. Both put out a quarterly magazine as part of being a member with great photos. ADS is more towards driving and competition, while the CAA is carriage and history oriented. Both are great folks and you can join to learn more. There might be local Driving clubs near you, that you could connect with and enjoy learning from members.

http://www.americandrivingsociety.org/

http://www.caaonline.com/

#4 Sakura18

Sakura18

Why the long face?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:37 PM

Oh yeah,of course he is getting cut soon! I am probably going to wait intil aiugust when the flies are dying. He is in with a pregnant mare who has already taught him a few things.

We are both taking the lessons,he drives the paint who is more spirited than the pony. He likes them with a little pep.

I will start now looking into the carts,you brought up some points i never even thought about. Thankyou very much! You really helped me alot. Especially about the hooves,they arent as long as i thought then...but they are chipping and cracked and nearly curling on the front 2. But i will tell my farrier what you said.

Thanks again!
Owned by:
Sugar-7yr Molly Mule
Raven-5yr Morgan Gelding
BJ-9yr farmdog
Dingo-3yr Imo Inu x mutt