• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 BarrelRacer801

BarrelRacer801

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:21 PM

My horse Cinnamon is my barrel horse. She was running in the 1D untill this last barrel race that we ran in. 3 days before the rodeo I was practicing barrel racing and pole bending and she started freaking out at it and wouldn't turn. I thought maybe I should try taking it slow. But she did it again. So I was walking the pattern and jogging. Then when we would lope it and she would throw a fit and would not turn it. I even tried two handing her and that didn't help. I've been working her with it and she still won't turn it. The bit I am running in is a Stop and turn gag bit. But I have been running in that bit ever since I started running barrels on her. I have a IMPRA rodeo this weekend and I'm so scared!! She is a 5yo Appaloosa Mare. Any tips??

#2 barrelgal98

barrelgal98

Barrel Racer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 270 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:00 AM

Get the vet. Check for any soundness issues. That's definitely my first impression for a horse that won't turn a barrel. Second after you take care of soundness (might also want to check her teeth while your at it too) I know I've had trouble with my new horse at the third when I tried to move him where I thought we needed to be. He runs great if I leave him alone and let him choose his spot. Lastly slow work is a good thing for you to be doing. I guess you could try a different bit but if she's been working and winning in the one you have I don't think that's the problem.

Edited by barrelgal98, 27 June 2012 - 08:30 AM.

#3 Sangria

Sangria

just hanging out

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:34 PM

I would draw out of the rodeo

Have her vet checked

Go back to the basic's and slowing add speed. If she falls apart, then start with the basic's and slow work again

It takes a lot of time and heartache to make most horses solid and good

#4 Indianshuffler

Indianshuffler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 12:35 AM

Is your last barrel turned the other way from your first two? My way of asking if she is favoring one side over the other, which could tell you much about what is bothering her.
People who will tell you the brutal truth when needed are keepers

#5 MarsCandyBar

MarsCandyBar

Boiler for Life - Loyalty Lives Here

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,887 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:19 PM

Indian, her last barrel turn would be the same direction as the 2nd barrel.

A vet check is in order for sure given a sudden change in behavior. It sounds like she may have thrown something out and could need a chiropractor.
*~*Mars*~*

"Life is too short to wake up with regrets. So love the people who treat you right. Forget about the one's who don't. Believe everything happens for a reason. If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands. If it changes your life, let it. Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it."

"Have faith in yourself, and reach for the sky. Have courage to show that you care. Leave footprints behind. Keep stars in your eyes. Build palaces high in the air. Seek happiness first. Go after the best. Try traveling paths that are new. Just follow your dreams. Find beauty in life. Aspire to love what you do."

#6 Indianshuffler

Indianshuffler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:10 AM

Thanks Mars
Was wondering if the direction switch was hurting the mare, but sure didn't ask it right.
People who will tell you the brutal truth when needed are keepers

#7 barrelgal98

barrelgal98

Barrel Racer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 270 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:23 PM

As I read this again I'm really thinking she's out somewhere. Which way do you turn??? And then I'd maybe try lunging her that direction or get someone you trust watch her while you ride her. Then walk trot an lope circles that way including tightening them up until they are about the same size as a barrel turn and see if they can spot anything out of the ordinary. Also if your mare turns those circles fine, I'd maybe wonder then if she's just being a brat to you in a run. Still get the vet to check her out though. But if you rule out soundness, keep at the slow work. But it does seem Wierd if she's going fine with slow stuff but as soon as you add speed she falls apart??? It might even be worth it to not even worry about any kind of speed. Pretend she's a young horse that your just starting on barrels. Im not trying to offend you but some horses will just fall apart if they are pushed too hard too soon. I know a girl that went from winning the 1D by a lot on her young horse to him crashing barrels and ducking off so she went back to slow work and now he's coming back and is going to make a really nice horse again.

#8 BarrelRacer801

BarrelRacer801

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 02:53 AM

Get the vet. Check for any soundness issues. That's definitely my first impression for a horse that won't turn a barrel. Second after you take care of soundness (might also want to check her teeth while your at it too) I know I've had trouble with my new horse at the third when I tried to move him where I thought we needed to be. He runs great if I leave him alone and let him choose his spot. Lastly slow work is a good thing for you to be doing. I guess you could try a different bit but if she's been working and winning in the one you have I don't think that's the problem.

I figured out she only does it in that arena the arena I usally run in..

#9 MarsCandyBar

MarsCandyBar

Boiler for Life - Loyalty Lives Here

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,887 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:02 PM

How often do you practice the pattern and how often do you run?

It sounds like she could be heading for a burnout.
*~*Mars*~*

"Life is too short to wake up with regrets. So love the people who treat you right. Forget about the one's who don't. Believe everything happens for a reason. If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands. If it changes your life, let it. Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it."

"Have faith in yourself, and reach for the sky. Have courage to show that you care. Leave footprints behind. Keep stars in your eyes. Build palaces high in the air. Seek happiness first. Go after the best. Try traveling paths that are new. Just follow your dreams. Find beauty in life. Aspire to love what you do."

#10 DawnC

DawnC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,710 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:47 PM

Sounds like she may be getting sour. Trail ride some. :)

#11 BarrelRacer801

BarrelRacer801

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:40 PM

Sounds like she may be getting sour. Trail ride some. :)

I have been trail riding so so so much!
She has gotten better I got someone to help me with her and its been working I have a rodeo tonight and tomorrow morning and we'll see how she does!!(: I am also turning her different I go like kinda straight towards the barrel. lol its hard to explain and I have been putting presure with my inside foot and kinda kicking on the outside right as I hit my pocket.

#12 Small Time Hay

Small Time Hay

he he they let me in!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:13 PM

With her being so young I'd have to say you may be over practicing her. Instead of trail riding consider asking her to do some different type excercises in the arena. Trotting poles, extended trots, moving a big beach ball, lead changes, drill team that kinda thing. If the vet has checked her and nothing is physically wrong then give her something else to do for a while. Cows work great!

Are you maybe tensing up or getting stiff in the legs coming up to the last barrel? That could be confusing to her. Make sure your "sitting deep".

Edited by Small Time Hay, 27 July 2012 - 07:15 PM.

Proud supporter of Broken Heart Equine Rescue.

I know the voices arent real, but man, do they ever come up with some great ideas!