17 replies to this topic

#1 pocobuckgal

pocobuckgal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,972 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:50 PM

how do you feel about inmates training service dogs?

my 2 cents is as long as the dog is treated well and being trained i don't care whos training it. and at least the inmates are trying to pay back for lack of better wording.
~ I'M A FIREFIGHTERS FLAME!
~barrel racin' is 3 turns and fun!
~ YES I KNOW I CAN'T SPELL DON'T YELL AT ME!
MADE BY *Windie_Baby* with my help!
~only my horse can reach my speed!
~pole bendng is tough but not as tough as me OR my horse!
~ my horse was trained to do poles but he does more that that-HE KICKS POLE BENDING BUTT!
~loving mother of Shyanna (shy-shy)8lbs 8.6 ozs,20 ins long with blue eyes and red hair! born 10/20/06 @ 1:12 pm
~ loving mother of Conner 8lbs 9 oz 21 ins long with blue eyes and dark red hair! born at 10:47 am

#2 dondie

dondie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,053 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:18 PM

That's odd, I wrote a reply and it disappeared into cyber space!

I watched a show on Animal Planet or the Discovery channel where they showed dogs that had been destined to die at shelters were given to prison inmates to train as service dogs. Both the inmates and new owners received incredible, life changing futures when these throw away dogs came into their lives.

One of the points in favor of the program was the extremely low rate of return to the prison system by the men and women who graduated from the dog training.
They were sad to see the dogs leave for their new homes and many of them cried. Knowing that the dogs would be giving someone the gift of independence and love make the loss bearable.
Board Buddies Met: Kina Kat, HeGotSpots! Cholla, I Been Running

#3 Kina Kat

Kina Kat

I'll be your huckleberry.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,629 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:44 PM

If there's proper supervision, I'm all for it.

I also strongly support the BLM program in which inmates train mustangs. I'm guessing those horses have a better adoption rate than unbroke (adult) mustangs.

It's good for both animal and human.

#4 goldentoes

goldentoes

can't stop singing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,374 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:59 AM

I am definitely for programs like this. I think it saves dogs, and also saves people. It gives inmates a chance to really learn and live with empathy, along with some skills that increase their chances of success when they are released back out into the real world.

Don't really see a downside to it at all. As much as a lot of folks think prison should be the most horrible experience possible, I think it's pretty clear that the punishment-only approach doesn't work from a lowering crime perspective. Giving people an education, some skills, some empathy and sense of responsibility - those things make for better citizens, I think, which benefits everybody.
"It's a topsy-turvy world, and maybe the problems of two people don't amount to a hill of beans. But this is our hill. And these are our beans!"

Keep Up With CANTER Mid-Atlantic at My Blog!

#5 Flying Stars

Flying Stars

Jaw Yapper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,725 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:42 AM

I think it's a positive thing!

“The next best thing to being wise oneself is to live in a circle of those who are.”

#6 Peppers Dad

Peppers Dad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,375 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:43 AM

Prison should be a place to both punish & rehabilitate those that want to change their way of life. Any thing that can have a positive affect on their lives is a good thing. Making good use of a tax payer dollars is also wise in this economy, I'm all for positive program s such as this. We have a alcohol drug treatment prison in our area, there is a select group of prisoners there, that do many community works projects, they rebuilt a animal shelter after it burned, cleaned area beach so it was fit to use. PD

#7 Ivory Annie

Ivory Annie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,318 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:37 PM

Also I'm pretty sure any inmate convicted of a violent crime isn't eligible for these programs? Not sure where I heard that but I do remember hearing it....
~Amanda~

"If you go into something, anything, expecting the worst, thats what you will get"

Annie, Brandy, Whinney
Posted Image

#8 Sangria

Sangria

just hanging out

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:58 PM

My dog is not a service dog, but was a shelter dog that went though a prison program before being put up for adoption

I heard it was beneficial for both the dogs and prisoner's

http://www.safeharborprisondogs.com/main.asp?page=our_story

Posted Image

#9 Tenacious Tins

Tenacious Tins

Formerly Confetti's Mom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,011 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:47 PM

I am definitely all for it. Just goes to show that most people aren't just inherently bad...rehab and doing something like that can give them that second chance, can give them a different perspective. Throwing someone in a jail cell is not really going to do much for them IMHO.
~Christina~

Please check out my photography at www.facebook.com/godingphotography!

HTTY

#10 redneckcowgirl

redneckcowgirl

Fecal Agitator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,577 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:23 AM

Devil's Advocate here, coming from a daughter of a murderer on Death Row.

I do not give a rat's arse if "Some" think it "MIGHT rehab" a bad guy. I do NOT want MY Sperm Donor exposed to ANY other living Creature. EVER. He ADMITTED to me that he beat my pregnant mother, smashed her kitten against the wall because he was jealous of it purring, felt bad so got her a Cocker Spaniel pup, then beat it to death with a bat when he tied it to the stair rail, & it pooped on his Beatles record.

If some IDIOT feels that subjecting a "pound puppy" to this kind of horror, "For Publicity"? Yea... he's in there because when he was 28, he bashed a 15 yr old girl's head in because she refused his advances.

Makes me sick & ashamed to be a result of his sperm.

He has been on"Death Row" since 1997.... & yet, "Our" Tax dollars are feeding this monster on a daily basis. He does not DESERVE to take part in any sort of contact with an innocent dog, let alone the prison guards that have to put up with him daily.

(I apologize for getting personal.... I had to write the PA Constable to stop letting him write to me a couple years ago. Touchy, Twitchy subject.)

#11 JoMarieM

JoMarieM

• Members
  • Pip
  • 393 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:30 AM

As long as the inmates don't have a previous history of cruelty toward animals, I'm all for it. It can be a wonderful thing for both people and dogs. Not only can dogs who might otherwise be put down in a pound, due to being deemed untrainable, unadoptable or just plain unwanted, have a chance at a new life and can also help to make someone else's life better too, either as a service dog or even just a companion animal. Also, for many emotionally troubled prison inmates, working with the animals can be very therupetic, since they have someone to talk to and love who will love them back unconditionally. They might also learn some new job skills as well; in addition to training dogs, I saw a TV program where a women's prison in Seattle taught prisoners dog grooming skills so they could have job prospects once they got out of jail. I think it's an absolutely wonderful thing!

#12 redneckcowgirl

redneckcowgirl

Fecal Agitator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,577 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:39 AM

^^ as a 25 year Pro Dog Grooming Veteran, I take SERIOUS Offense to that.Just because some Crack W%ore is good at corn rows & Mullets does NOT give her the right to the trust that the average dog owner has when dropping off a Family member for a bath & cut. That's like saying, "Oh, Prison Patty took a Childcare Class after molesting her own nephew... but she's Rehabbed now,it's okay." Would you let a prison inmate that "read a book on hoof trimming" & feels he "Gets It", use YOUR horse as his first practice Dummy? I sure wouldn't.

#13 Flying Stars

Flying Stars

Jaw Yapper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,725 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 08:10 AM

Seriously Red...

My understanding from you is that you don't care who is in Prison..is that they don't deserve a chance....

Situations such as your " Sperm Donor " no. They do not deserve to do anything.

"Oh, Prison Patty took a Childcare Class after molesting her own nephew... but she's Rehabbed now,it's okay." Would you let a prison inmate that "read a book on hoof trimming" & feels he "Gets It", use YOUR horse as his first practice Dummy? I sure wouldn't.

You are putting out extremes that MOST likely would NOT happen.

To the original Topic? With strict supervision..Inmates may as well do something useful.and I am pretty sure there are Guidelines as to "WHO" gets to work with animals and what not. A person who was an abusive person? I am pretty sure they would not be able to take on the privilege to take part in handling with animals.

I still think it is a Positive thing!

Edited by Flying Stars, 28 July 2012 - 08:13 AM.

“The next best thing to being wise oneself is to live in a circle of those who are.”

#14 Peppers Dad

Peppers Dad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,375 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 10:22 AM

Red,

After reading your post, I have to disagree with your thinking. There are people in prison for all kinds of reasons, some no more than writing bad checks, you can't compare that to a deathrow inmate, there are some in prison that will never get out, that doesn't mean that they are all like the sperm donor father that you described. The court system tries & convicts those that go to prison, you are trying to put all your eggs in the same basket here, it doesn't apply with animals & people. Those that would ever be considered for program such as this would be carefully screened. Then you have to consider the dogs that would be trained would die without programs such as this. I can agree there are those in prison, that don't deserve to see the light of day, there are also those that should be locked up & arn't, but let us be careful when labeling people to make sure they are labeled correctly. PD

#15 pocobuckgal

pocobuckgal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,972 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 04:12 PM

i'm going to have to agree with PD here.
~ I'M A FIREFIGHTERS FLAME!
~barrel racin' is 3 turns and fun!
~ YES I KNOW I CAN'T SPELL DON'T YELL AT ME!
MADE BY *Windie_Baby* with my help!
~only my horse can reach my speed!
~pole bendng is tough but not as tough as me OR my horse!
~ my horse was trained to do poles but he does more that that-HE KICKS POLE BENDING BUTT!
~loving mother of Shyanna (shy-shy)8lbs 8.6 ozs,20 ins long with blue eyes and red hair! born 10/20/06 @ 1:12 pm
~ loving mother of Conner 8lbs 9 oz 21 ins long with blue eyes and dark red hair! born at 10:47 am

#16 hästflicka

hästflicka

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,662 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:35 PM

I am definitely for programs like this. I think it saves dogs, and also saves people. It gives inmates a chance to really learn and live with empathy, along with some skills that increase their chances of success when they are released back out into the real world.

Don't really see a downside to it at all. As much as a lot of folks think prison should be the most horrible experience possible, I think it's pretty clear that the punishment-only approach doesn't work from a lowering crime perspective. Giving people an education, some skills, some empathy and sense of responsibility - those things make for better citizens, I think, which benefits everybody.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image I couldn't agree more. As usualPosted Image
Owned by:
'Mandy' Drybrucke's Amanda; GO, CDX, LP1, BH, CD, TD, HT, CGC (TD ink=Therapy Dog, HT=Herding Tested; Rottweiler)
'Michico' Rikardo KM (Paso Fino)
Breyer (Dutch Warmblood)

Save the horses: The Brooke

#17 farah

farah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,746 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:15 AM

My dog is not a service dog, but was a shelter dog that went though a prison program before being put up for adoption

I heard it was beneficial for both the dogs and prisoner's

http://www.safeharborprisondogs.com/main.asp?page=our_story

Posted Image

Is that a drawing??? That's is stunning!!

#18 pintobeans

pintobeans

fart face

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,556 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:17 PM

I am going to ditto GT's thinking here.

I think it's a wonderful thing, depending on the temperament of the inmate. You have to consider why many of them became the way they did, and if having something to take pride in, empathize with, and have to work on would improve them as a human.

Not to mention the potential for saving unwanted dogs.

jenna
Been Jammin - Benny. Simply my best friend.
Tuesday - TB cross chunky mare, dressage BALLER...to be.

Venus Drive - OTTB foster child
I've met a board buddy! saudimack, Ardent, Jacks, barrelracer17, BeRandee, redrunnincowgirl, The Sugar Lady, rattusrat
My riding journal
howrse_zpsed14be65.jpg