• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 psmitty

psmitty

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,232 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:08 AM

Okay so some of you know from my previous post that I had a Stubben saddle fitter out this past weekend. It all went well. I tried three different saddles in various tree and seat sizes until I found what worked for my horse and me. The Stubben saddle fitter, who was super nice and knowledgeable priced out the saddle ($3,400 retail, no discounts) for me and said the delivery time would be about 10 weeks. I did not haggle over the price, but I said okay, i will buy if Stubben will throw in a pair of stirrup leathers. She said she would check and get back to me. She got back to me and said no they would not throw in a pair of stirrup leathers. I was pretty bummed. I have three Stubben saddles and have been a loyal customer and advocate for the brand, but now I'm feeling unappreciated.

Am I being unreasonable? Expecting too much and just being a whinny baby and just need to get over it? Or?

Edited by psmitty, 01 August 2012 - 09:09 AM.

#2 Serah Rose

Serah Rose

Ramblin Rose?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,917 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:01 PM

that's not unreasonable at ALL, imo. Especially for something that price. When I bought my truck, at a place that I had NO ties to, I asked them for a new windshield (or a bit off the price) and a full tank of gas, AFTER I haggled them down 2.5k in price. They didn't go for the windshield (but hey, I had just haggled down 2.5K...lol) but they did put in $80 in gas after I bought it. (and I had told them they could just give me $50 for a tank of gas...LOL)

So anyway, no...not unreasonable. That's kind of sucky :(
*Canter for the Cure*

http://www.etsy.com/...signByPorcupine - still need quills but have a few necklaces back in stock!

http://contributor.y...serah_rose.html my published articles

#3 BelleoftheBall

BelleoftheBall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:52 PM

Not unreasonable at all for that $$ purchase....heck, most reps would just throw those in without even asking, just for you being a good customer! Is it my imagination or is everyone so stingy these days....bad economy to blame?

#4 dappledbay

dappledbay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:50 PM

I don't think thats unreasonable at all. I think thats included with most companies, without having to ask. Customer service is a big deal to me, as well as keeping customers happy. It doesn't sound like your rep is doing much to make you feel appreciated, or keep you happy.
Rhiannon

There's no place like home.

#5 LostHorseRider

LostHorseRider

Ride The Journey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:57 AM

Not unreasonable in the least. Friend of mine had the CWD rep out to try saddles. Found the one she wanted spent a large amount I don't even want to know. Came with leathers saddle cover and a water proof saddle cover you can ride in. She also got like half off the matching bridle and half off a girth.
Jasper , Savvy and Taylor (currently with his other owner)

Met Board Buddies-Morning Dusk , Smileitlooksgoodonyou and Storey!!

#6 spacytracy

spacytracy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,041 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:11 AM

No! They are salespeople, and clearly this person was not a good one. A measly pair of leathers and she can't seal the deal?

#7 TheBrownHorse

TheBrownHorse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:36 PM

I don't know...

You're only buying the saddle. I don't think it's unreasonable that they won't give you a free pair of leathers -- it's a business. I've shelled out plenty of money many times for saddles that expensive, been loyal customers to several makers, but asking for a freebee? Eh.

In the scheme of things, a pair of leathers seems reasonable, but if they give you a free pair, they'll give someone else a free pair because they are "nice people" and pretty soon it'd become unfair if you got free leathers and others didn't, or the company would be at a loss if they gave free things away all the time.

JMHO
This is worth sitting with no matter how uncomfortable the emotions may feel. Because this is a life worth living for, a life worth exploring.

We made friends with each other. For people who had nothing, everyone meant everything to anybody locked away. Deryl was my first friend, we sat over breakfast that morning and chewed away at our sticky pancakes and hard boiled eggs. And I say chew because it had the texture of rubber, but we didn’t say a word about it because it was food and it was something that we knew we had better on the outside world, therefor gave us both hope and a little something we knew we could live for, for good food is one of the great pleasures in life.

“Grace is the absence of everything that indicates pain or difficulty, hesitation or incongruity.”

#8 lucky#10

lucky#10

• Members
  • Pip
  • 134 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:11 PM

for bein such a loyal customer I think it's a perfectly reasonable request

#9 Taglet

Taglet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,608 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:06 AM

I don't know...

You're only buying the saddle. I don't think it's unreasonable that they won't give you a free pair of leathers -- it's a business. I've shelled out plenty of money many times for saddles that expensive, been loyal customers to several makers, but asking for a freebee? Eh.

In the scheme of things, a pair of leathers seems reasonable, but if they give you a free pair, they'll give someone else a free pair because they are "nice people" and pretty soon it'd become unfair if you got free leathers and others didn't, or the company would be at a loss if they gave free things away all the time.

JMHO

This is how I feel. It would be nice if they gave them to you for free, but I don't understand why they should. It's not like you're the only loyal Stubben customer. I paid close to $4,000 for my Schleese and I never asked for free leathers. My dressage coach owned four Schleese saddles and referred me to them and she never got free leathers when she bought her fifth. We were told we were better off buying cheaper ones at a tack store instead. I bought a pair at the local tack store six years ago that matched my saddle exactly and they're still on my saddle today.

Sure it's too bad you couldn't get them, but I wouldn't lose sleep over it. :confused0024:

Posted Image

.:Melanie:.

#10 psmitty

psmitty

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,232 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:02 AM

Well maybe this was a blessing in disguise. I went to the Stubben website yesterday and they have Stubben demo saddles listed for sale and I found one that is exactly what I was looking for. I called and they said that these saddle are in near new condition. Used for fittings and test rides so they have marks on the billet straps but otherwise so very little use. Saves me $2,000. Posted Image

Stubben does not sell direct so I contacted my local tack shop to call and make sure saddle was still available. Hopefully I hear back from them today and can stop by on way home from work and pay for it. Then Stubben will ship it out.

#11 Little.Wing

Little.Wing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 422 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 12:54 PM

Absolutely not!!

When I got my cwd I got free leathers, a free girth, saddle cover and a pair of open front boots.
That's all she ever thinks about
Riding with the wind.

#12 sappy

sappy

Happy as a clam..

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,837 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 04:01 PM

Good deal, I hope you snag it. I bought a demo saddle some years ago, a PJ. It was pretty much brand new when I got my hands on it.

I'm not sure if it's right or wrong to ask for something like leathers when purchasing a saddle. It really doesn't hurt to ask since you never know what they could say. The worst you can get is a "no".. they're still going to take your money when you buy a saddle. With some of the higher end saddles I looked at, the companies were happy to barter a little. Of course I'm a cheapskate, so I'm not afraid to walk away from ANY sale unless I feel like I'm getting a good deal.
- Megan - geeking it up with my hubby, T. Proud mama to H,E & S.

#13 psmitty

psmitty

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,232 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:33 PM

Well crap! Stubben called (actually Stubben Rep I have been dealing with) back and said that saddle I saw on line was marked incorrectly. It has a 17" seat not 17.5" Back to square one.Posted Image