18 replies to this topic

#1 barrelgal98

barrelgal98

Barrel Racer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 270 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:44 PM

Just curious if this is something I should be doing??? If it helps or makes a difference I'm usually hauling anywhere between 1 hour and 4 hours.

#2 Peppers Dad

Peppers Dad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,220 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 01:05 AM

I think it depends on the horse, the trailer, & type of ground you are going to be hauling over. Surely doesn't hurt anything, as a once of prevention, is worth a pound of cure. I don;'t haul that often, but I haul about 90 one way minutes when I do, I have rubber mats in my trailer, & I don't rap legs , & I haven't had any problems. I hauled 3 horses 400 miles when some friends moved, their legs weren't rapped. So I guess it comes down to personal preference. PD

#3 dondie

dondie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,739 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:14 AM

The trainer I worked with years ago was a Brit and she had either polo wraps or custom made sheepskin shipping boots for her H&J horses.
I live in a hilly, mountainous area. When hauling horses around here, they have to deal with rolling, uneven and twisty roads. So they have a tougher time balancing and need to move their feet more than a horse on flat ground. I use shipping boots.
Years ago, when I had my old trailer, I added a second mat on the floor and had mats attached to the walls for padding. I've noticed that the majority of horse trailer companies have/offer matted walls.
Board Buddies Met: Kina Kat, HeGotSpots! Cholla, I Been Running

#4 ozland

ozland

I'm an optimist. I think most people are half full of it.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44,594 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 12:20 PM

Wrapping is only a good idea if you are good at it and KNOW they aren't likely to slide down/off in the trailer and cause a wreck, or be TOO tight and cut off circulation. If you want legs protected and want to be safe about it, use shipping boots.

S'cuse me, gotta go iron my birthday suit.

For those who believe, no explanation is necessary.
For those who do not, no explanation will suffice.
.................Joseph Dunninger

Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling
a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist

#5 cvm2002

cvm2002

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,966 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 04:05 PM

Having seen the results of horses trying to kick off loose polo wraps & boots, I personally do not put anything on the legs.

Dina Wild, DVM
Veterinarian by day...and some nights...and most weekends...and every other holiday.
Wanna-be photographer the rest of the time.

http://www.wildsidearabians.com

#6 Smilie

Smilie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 05:55 PM

Ditto to the not wrapping. I haul both on highways and on very rough roads, when hauling to the mountains and never wrap legs
if you are worried about disapating shock , a good pair of hoof boots with pads will do way more in my humble opinion
I think the more you wrap legs,the more the tendons , etc become dependant on that wrapping-kinda like support stockings
I only use sport medicine boots when doing reining manovers like spins
It seems to be a very English thing to wrap legs. My son used to have a girl friend that boarded at a dressage barn , and over heard two of the girls talking
They were deciding whether to bother wrapping their horse's legs for the trailer ride.
One girl said, 'oh, lets just 'cowboy' it, and not bother wrapping!"

Edited by Smilie, 04 August 2012 - 06:01 PM.

Raising attractive , athletic Appaloosas, equally at home in the show ring and on the open trails
Cody Chrome Supreme member of the breed( superiors in trail,halter western pleasure hunter under saddle )
San Stone Image superiors in reining, western riding and trail
Miss Kilo Bright ApHC championship ROMs western pl, trail, HUS , hunter in hand, halter
A New Dimension three year old filly presently working with
Awarded With love 6 year old mare by Awarded, riding well and proven producer
Frankie hubby's senior trail horse
Rubix Hubby's jr trail horse
Dont Skip The Cadence by don't Skip This chip-three year old in training Sold
Mex , Dun Boy and Image, three yr old prospects

http://s335.photobuc...home/KiloBright

#7 ozland

ozland

I'm an optimist. I think most people are half full of it.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44,594 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 06:12 PM

Heehee. I do "cowboy" most of the time.

S'cuse me, gotta go iron my birthday suit.

For those who believe, no explanation is necessary.
For those who do not, no explanation will suffice.
.................Joseph Dunninger

Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling
a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist

#8 Small Time Hay

Small Time Hay

he he they let me in!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 06:51 PM

I do wrap with polo's when im transporting the old boy but the kid goes in naked.
Proud supporter of Broken Heart Equine Rescue.

I know the voices arent real, but man, do they ever come up with some great ideas!

#9 Apps4Life

Apps4Life

Chief Turd Burglar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,853 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:07 PM

I will wrap in no bows and standing wraps for long hauls, unless it's hot (above 80 degree) and then they're bare. We did the haul down to GA including 2 hours in a rest stop and they were fine. 14 hours total and no wraps.

Edited by Apps4Life, 04 August 2012 - 10:09 PM.

Posted Image

BBs Met: ShezaSmokinGun, Mule_Freak's mom =), Kristina, Demon's Mom, SpottedT, MUT, Ratts, Notyo, HFF (and Bella), Pinky, Chey, Lora, Lash, Tuck, BB Blue, Hoofs In Motion, Got Barrels?, Meeker, Tuper, The Sugar Lady, Harley, journeysgirl, BuddyRoo, KatieMay, MizParker, DiamondJake, QuarterFlash, Andi, SweetAddiction, RunninColors, SCSpots, Heidi and FLEquus!

RIP Misty, thank you for teaching me so much

~Samantha~
My Tack for Sale

#10 pintobeans

pintobeans

fart face

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,523 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 11:44 PM

Nope...had a horse come through the barn a few years ago after a trailer accident caused by his wraps coming undone...he flipped over, totalled the trailer, and he, a valuable show horse, was ruined... I'd much rather have a few minor dings.

jenna
Been Jammin - Benny. Simply my best friend.
Tuesday - TB cross chunky mare, dressage BALLER...to be.

Venus Drive - OTTB foster child
I've met a board buddy! saudimack, Ardent, Jacks, barrelracer17, BeRandee, redrunnincowgirl, The Sugar Lady, rattusrat
My riding journal
howrse_zpsed14be65.jpg

#11 eeyore4176

eeyore4176

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,191 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:59 PM

We haven't ever put anything on our horse's legs for trailering. We haul anywhere from 30 minutes to 12 hours and haven't ever had an issue. I bought shipping boots but when none of my friends used them, I decided to leave them in the tote. I quit using wraps on the trails after just a couple times when they were getting ripped or caught up in brush. The horses pay better attention to their legs without them.
Board buddies I've met: Doublelhorses, Trail-Rider, DeLucky2, blaze1, HorseLuvrinIL

#12 nick

nick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,460 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:32 AM

we don't wrap, but ours are barefoot. i used to have a horse who had irons all around and tried putting shipping boots on him the first time we hauled. when he walked into the trailer he looked like a preying mantis (very unnatural and downright wierd) so decided to take them off. we never had an injury in 14 years of regular bare legged hauling over varying distances and terrain, from 30 minutes to 8 hours.
nick

#13 siseley

siseley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts
    at "Hot Rocks Ranch"

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:43 PM

I am another one for "bare naked", but if the time to tow goes over 8 hrs, we unload for at least 30 minutes to keep from stocking up. Shipping boots are not tight on my mare, and my old boy, ( 32 yrs young) HATES his legs wrapped. He is good for shoeing, and you can pick up his feet, but he stomps wraps, so none for him either.
"The bronco jumped up as the cowboy came down...they met at the old saddlehorn! That's how the yodel was born! "Riders In The Sky".."Strawberry Roan"

#14 DawnC

DawnC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,564 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:02 PM

I had one that I used shipping boots on. While he was fine most of the time, every now and then he would turn on the 'scrambler' gene and cause a ruckus. Not a fun scenario for anyone. He knew the boots, and was comfortable in them, so they really did provide some protection.

Generally I don't wrap in the trailer w/out specific reason.

#15 N4L

N4L

Chief Cat Box Mucker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:13 PM

I used to just wrap the fronts. And I used shipping boots.

#16 AllykatD

AllykatD

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 05:26 PM

I've been hauling for years, from 10 miles up the road for a trail ride, or hundreds of miles to a barrel race, and I've never wrapped. I've never had an injury. However, if I was haulingmy horse with a known trailer kicker or who was known to flail around in a trailer, I think I would wrap.
Bravo, 16.2 Paint gelding. From ropin' hoss to english hoss. Stock horses can do it all.

#17 poco bueno

poco bueno

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:40 PM

When I worked in the TB Industry, or any racing for that matter, we always "Always" wrapped our horses legs when we hauled them !!! If you really know what you're doing when it comes to wrapping legs, why won't you ??? In all my many years of wrapping legs, always with the use of saddle pins, no tape etc, I have NEVER had any problems whatsoever. Just take a look at the track or training center and you'll see that all the horses have standing bandages on. Once again to many people try to do things that they shouldn't even try to do.

#18 barrelgal98

barrelgal98

Barrel Racer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 270 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 03:36 PM

So if I can do it right, it would be a good thing to do maybe? How does it help with standing bandages? Will it keep your horses feeling a little bit better or prevent lameness? And one final question, is it te same as wrapping polos for a workout except with a pad or something underneath? I do know how to wrap polos that's what I use all the time for my runs.

#19 MarsCandyBar

MarsCandyBar

Boiler for Life - Loyalty Lives Here

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,884 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:51 AM

I usually just put my SMB boots on. My boy is shod all around so I'd rather he had a little protection if he were to lose his balance and kick himself. But I've hauled plenty with naked legs and never had a problem. I've also worked with trainers who hauled everything in pillow wraps. I think it's largely personal preference.

If you feel like your horse would hurt himself on something in the trailer itself - you probably shouldn't be using that trailer to begin with, but it always amazes me at the rust bucket tin cans people insist on putting their horses in.
*~*Mars*~*

"Life is too short to wake up with regrets. So love the people who treat you right. Forget about the one's who don't. Believe everything happens for a reason. If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands. If it changes your life, let it. Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it."

"Have faith in yourself, and reach for the sky. Have courage to show that you care. Leave footprints behind. Keep stars in your eyes. Build palaces high in the air. Seek happiness first. Go after the best. Try traveling paths that are new. Just follow your dreams. Find beauty in life. Aspire to love what you do."