63 replies to this topic

#1 Tenacious Tins

Tenacious Tins

Formerly Confetti's Mom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,011 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 09:39 PM

Soooo today my brother puts a picture of a tiny 1-2 day old kitten on Facebook. Says he found it in the insulation of the house he's living in...it's being remodeled. Couldn't find mama cat or other kittens. Kept it warm with a hot water bottle and fed it goats milk. Tonight, he texts me and tells me he's found the mama cat and the other kittens. Apparently she's very malnourished and has been in a fight with a cat recently...also very sweet. So he went out and bought what he thought was the best cat food tonight and fed her...she ate like she'd never eaten before. He's never seen this cat around...has no idea where she came from. She might have been dumped as he is on a main road and it being a farm and everything, who knows.

Long story shorter, he can't afford to keep them and he was going to send them to the humane society but lately they've been putting articles in the paper stating that they are overflowing with cats and need to get rid of some. I think the last place those kitties should be is in a cage with tons of other cats around them. I'm sure they'd be fine BUT I am a sucker.

So...I am going to find a way to keep her until she and the kittens are well/old enough to give away. Of course I will get her shots done and get her spayed and have her checked for medical issues. I know I shouldn't...since I have 5 cats already...but if I keep her in the garage, I think she will be ok for the time being. My garage is nearly the size of a two car garage and doesn't have a lot in it...we only use it to store random stuff. I'm hoping it works. If it doesn't I will give her to the humane society but you know I am a sucker, I want to keep her and give her a chance. There is a black kitten, an orange one, and three that are black and orange (he says tigers, but I think they're marmalade...maybe? not sure)

Um yes he only has a couple of pics and they're bad...I am going to pick her up tomorrow hopefully...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Tenacious Tins, 05 August 2012 - 04:10 PM.

~Christina~

Please check out my photography at www.facebook.com/godingphotography!

HTTY

#2 Tenacious Tins

Tenacious Tins

Formerly Confetti's Mom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,011 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 09:40 PM

Oh and we've already named her Snickers and the black one's name is Moses cause he was abandoned lol the orange one might be Creamsicle.
~Christina~

HTTY

#3 Appaloosa Luver

Appaloosa Luver

Legally insane and proud of it!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:06 PM

LOL she's cute!! Can't wait for better pictures!!
Ive met a board buddy: Buddyroo, Gingerpie89, Snowyhorse, Greenhaven, Journeysgirl!!!

#4 Tenacious Tins

Tenacious Tins

Formerly Confetti's Mom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,011 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:08 PM

Technically I can afford this but...I'm still wishing it wouldn't cost so much cause I'll want to get her tested for FIV and FLV, get her shots done, etc. At least I can get her spayed later so I won't have that cost up front. But it is worth it to save a cat...and I will try to get better pics tomorrow or Monday.

Edited by Tenacious Tins, 04 August 2012 - 10:09 PM.

~Christina~

HTTY

#5 xTheeAppleismyAppyx

xTheeAppleismyAppyx

I love my appy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,629 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:35 PM

Are there any places around that will help you with these costs? Our shelter got a grant from the spca sadly for only one county but it's something so the spay is only $42.50. Or is there a spay and neuter place in a big city near you? I know some places work with people and it's fairly cheap. Or a vet that knows what your doing and can give you a better price? I only ask because I know how much all of that costs. And I think your amazing for doing what your doing and I also realize how expensive it is at the same time. For some reason everyone's saying this is the worse they've ever seen it with cats. We are so over run with cats and not enough fosters and not enough adopters. We keep running specials but people still don't come in for cats. It's really sad. Right now we have over 180 cats and took in more today and were a tiny shelter. That's also why I give you credit for not just calling and sending them right there. I do hope you are able to find them homes. I do hope someone will work with you on the costs for all of this because well you're awesome.

" I will listen for your hoofbeats in heaven "

#6 Heidi n Q

Heidi n Q

Queen of Cats

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,391 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:44 PM

Lucky momcat and kitts. I love you. :wub:
The kits look very young and she looks soooo skinny. I'm sure they'll be blooming w/ health in no time at all, once you are caring for them.

I have the abilities of single-minded determination and pin-point focu... Hey, look! A horse!
croplegs0713.jpg

#7 Tenacious Tins

Tenacious Tins

Formerly Confetti's Mom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,011 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:53 PM

Thanks Threeappies and Heidi...there is a clinic that is run a few times a year that will do shots/spay/neuter for very inexpensive...but if I take her in to get tested for FIV/FLV they'll want to get her regular shots done. I will wait for the clinic to come around again to spay her as it is I think only 50 dollars through there and 5 for the shots. Unfortunately, can't get the shots that cheap. Thankfully my vet is reasonable...sort of. But I can see this costing a good hundred dollars up front since she'll have to get that abscess looked at. I'll look at it first to make sure it's an abscess though. It could be a bruise or something else...Smudge had some sort of swelling on his butt and I was sure it was an abscess but when I shaved it, I couldn't see any marks and he got better on his own with a bit of rest.

11 cats. :twitch: :crazy: I think I will try to rub towels and things all over mama and bring them in the house to get the other kitties used to her scent. I will probably end up keeping mama...cause I know how I am. I don't have a colored kitty like that yet... :ph34r: :crazy:

When my brother found the kitten, he said it still had afterbirth on it (was still wet but the stuff was mostly dried) so guessing 1-2 days old. Poor lil mama. I just can't...just can't say no lol. My hubby is shaking his head, but saying ok. As long as I pay for the expenses. I told him I'll just pull it from my trip fund, I have a good amount there and she is worth it.

I just better not say that too many more times :happy0203:
~Christina~

HTTY

#8 Tenacious Tins

Tenacious Tins

Formerly Confetti's Mom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,011 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 11:13 PM

We are not close to a big city at all...there is basically nothing around here. Our humane shelter is very small...and already way over run. I will have no problem giving the kittens away though, which is a good thing. I have never had a problem...I have so many friends and family members that word gets spread fast and any kittens that I raise are grabbed up usually well before they are old enough to go because they are such nice cats. Not to brag or anything but I let everyone handle them and play with them and it makes a HUGE difference! I also teach them how to be respectful and not use their claws on human flesh. People don't think it's possible but trust me it is!

Thanks again :ashamed0002: I'm just me...sucker for cats...Maybe I should make my garage into a kitty dream house...

No...No...must not do that. i'd end up fostering way too many cats. And falling in love with too many.

Bad Tins, Bad.
~Christina~

HTTY

#9 Mz Rat

Mz Rat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,247 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 11:37 PM

Her color is called tortoise shell. I have had a couple marked like that. I understand about having cats. We currently have 7. 3 were "foster" kitties for a feral cat rescue. We were going to tame them and find them homes. Yeah, right. They found a home. Here. Why we had 9 cats in the house at one time. Food will do Momma wonders as well as the babies.

#10 Tenacious Tins

Tenacious Tins

Formerly Confetti's Mom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,011 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 11:50 PM

Lol! Yeah that's the way it goes eh? Well...see we took in my brother's cat...she was pregnant and had 4 kittens. We did manage to give away all but 1. So now we have 5 cats. When we had 3 we said it was enough. Then I brought Vi in cause she was skinny and flea riddled and yeah she was pregnant (that was a shocker, she was literally only 5.1 pounds). Now this cat...I am already saying I'll keep the mama just to prepare myself for falling in love with her. Thanks for the correction on the color...I am a black and white cat person usually...and that shows cause I have 3 black cats and 2 black and white cats LOL. First thing hubby said was "well, I did say I wanted to have a little color thrown in there...WHEN the others get older and pass away..."

So I just kept talking myself into it...knowing I would be sucked in. As soon as my brother said he'd take them to the humane society, I was like nope, not gonna let THAT happen lol. He'll bring them to me tomorrow afternoon. He has to do something with them because the landlord won't let them stay on the property.
~Christina~

HTTY

#11 Tenacious Tins

Tenacious Tins

Formerly Confetti's Mom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,011 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:11 AM

Orange kitty

Posted Image

and he was right, tiger...

Posted Image
~Christina~

HTTY

#12 Tenacious Tins

Tenacious Tins

Formerly Confetti's Mom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,011 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 11:51 AM

Well somewhat good news. My mom is on board with this...I am SHOCKED. She does not like cats at all. But she was going on and on this morning about how sweet and how nice this cat is AND she is on board with me taking her in. Anyway, the good part about it is that she personally knows a lady very involved in the spay/neuter/shots clinics around here and she thinks that lady will be able to get me the vet care for a much reduced cost. Mom said Snicker's coat looks good and the abscess has popped and has drained already so we will keep an eye on her but she seems to be in pretty good overall health except for a need for weight gain. So a vet is not needed like today like I thought it might be. Hopefully the lady gets back to mom tonight or tomorrow morning so I can schedule something. I can't believe my mom likes this cat lol. I'll have her later today!
~Christina~

HTTY

#13 Tenacious Tins

Tenacious Tins

Formerly Confetti's Mom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,011 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 04:09 PM

Well, mama kitty and all SIX...yes...six...of her kittens are here. When brother got home from church this afternoon there was another one. There are four tiger striped, one black, and one orange and white (a tiger I think also). They are going to be stunning cats and she is a stunning cat. Her coat is indeed quite nice and soft and healthy overall. She is not nearly as skinny as I thought she would be. Her abscess looks pretty healthy and I think will heal up fine on its own. The hair missing on the back leg is not all that bad and there don't seem to be any open wounds. She doesn't have fleas or ticks or anything else. She is WAY personable. She got here and despite it being a new place, she was rubbing all over me and purring like crazy. She is a VERY good mama and is more worried about her kits than anything else. They are GORGEOUS kittens. She is probably around 7 or 8 pounds, a small cat. Right now I have her in my office but it is hot in here...I have a fan blowing but it's still pretty hot. Can't really open up the door to the kitchen because the other cats are out there...there is no AC in here, but there's nowhere else to put her except in the basement but that is risky because the cats are in and out of that a lot.

I suppose you want pics!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
~Christina~

HTTY

#14 azgrulla

azgrulla

Scuba diving diva!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,054 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 04:45 PM

Oh mah gawd...they are so cute. Momma is a looker too. I love torties!

You know, I had a red kitty with a 2 inch wide x 1 inch deep gash in his side...all I did was put vetericyn on it 3x daily for 2 weeks, it filled in very nicely, all the hair came back and you could not tell it was ever there. I was shocked. Usually wounds like that leave a hairless spot or something.

Good luck with them. If I was closer, I would take 2. I recently lost my kitty of 19 years :mecry: and I am 'looking' for new kitties.

Keep us updated with pics.

Thanks for giving the momma and her babies a chance. thank your brother too.
Lazy A Ranch and Spa

Featuring....

Tonka: Grulla dun QH gelding
Mr Potatoe Head: QH gelding
R.I.P. Ranger: English Springer Spaniel July 4th,1995-January 27th,2008
Bogey: Tri-colored Beagle spazzoid dog
Mulligan: Lab/Rottie sweetheart dog
Bailey: Lemon Beagle...such a luver
Church: Grey, evil cat
R.I.P.Junior: Grey, pain in the butt cat July,1997-March 10th,2008
R.I.P Back-up. Aussie-mix 1995-Feb 18, 2007
R.I.P. Snoop cat
R.I.P. Paramount's Reknown, Bay Morgan gelding

GO SUN DEVILS!!!!
GO BOILERMAKERS!!!!

#15 loopyhorse

loopyhorse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 05:07 PM

Wow love her face markings, stunning :wub:

Good on you for taking them in! :notworthy:

And kittens are so cute! Can't wait for updated pics as they get older :happy0203:
Reba

#16 Tenacious Tins

Tenacious Tins

Formerly Confetti's Mom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,011 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 05:15 PM

Well so far we've decided to let her roam the house a bit while most of the kitties are outside. This is mostly because my office gets so very hot and she was panting. She walked right up to King, sniffed him, and seemed friendly with him till he hissed. Then she hissed back and walked away. No fighting there.

We are thinking she must belong to SOMEONE...she is WAY too nice of a kitty...

The wound looks pretty good actually. I will make sure it keeps clean and stuff but I think she rather takes good care of herself. I'm not worried about it at all.

Edited by Tenacious Tins, 05 August 2012 - 05:16 PM.

~Christina~

HTTY

#17 1wildkatt

1wildkatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,795 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 05:39 PM

Mother is quite fabulous. I love babies. Looks like you have 2 brown patched tabby baby girls (some call them torbies) The ones with the red patches. All are adorable. Good on you for taking them in.

Edited by 1wildkatt, 05 August 2012 - 05:40 PM.

Kat

#18 Tenacious Tins

Tenacious Tins

Formerly Confetti's Mom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,011 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 05:52 PM

I was wondering what the red patches were! They all seem to have the red on them so maybe they're all torbies...who knows. They'd be girls for sure? Or you're just calling them girls?

Still have the door open and she is more interested in staying in the box with the babies than she is with going out and exploring. She seems to have settled right in and claimed us as her new family...she is one VERY happy kitty. They are on webcam live right now at http://tenacioustins.camstreams.com/

Edited by Tenacious Tins, 05 August 2012 - 06:49 PM.

~Christina~

HTTY

#19 Tenacious Tins

Tenacious Tins

Formerly Confetti's Mom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,011 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:19 PM

Something tells me this isn't going to work very well. She is VICIOUS towards the other cats. She won't even give them a chance, she just full on attacks. The only way I found out was sort of by accident. I let smudge in, then picked him up...she was eating and I figure she wouldn't have noticed, and Smudge is a good kitty. So I was whisking him through the room to the office door, and I opened the office door to let him out but she saw him and it was over. He lept out of my arms and a full on attack ensued. His mom came in through the open office door and snickers started attacking both of them at the same time. We tried separating them but it didn't work so we opened the outside door and Smudge and Vi ran out. We closed that door and thought it was over, but forgot the office door was open...Mia came around and Snickers went after her full force...thankfully Mia backed right off quickly and Snickers stopped long enough for us to close the door.

I might be trapped in here as she is SUPER aware of the door and probably will try to get out of it as soon as I try to leave just so she can go chase the other cats. I knew this was a possibility but it was just too hot to keep her in the garage today.

I know it is most likely her mama instincts but she is a very high energy cat and I'm gathering from her battle wounds that she is like this most of the time anyway. Extremely affectionate towards humans, just not other cats. Never dealt with a cat who was this bad towards other cats.

Edited by Tenacious Tins, 05 August 2012 - 07:23 PM.

~Christina~

HTTY

#20 Heidi n Q

Heidi n Q

Queen of Cats

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,391 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:58 PM

Something tells me this isn't going to work very well. She is VICIOUS towards the other cats. She won't even give them a chance, she just full on attacks.

Do NOT give up on this cat. It CAN work.

Right now? You've got a mamma-cat w/ mamma-cat-protective-hormones RAGING through her. SHE is in "protect my babies at all costs" mode. Chances are, she will stay this way while she has her kittens. After her kittens have been weaned and/or gone on to other homes ... she should calm right down and integrate just fine ... IF ... you can manage to keep her from attacking any of your other cats. You *cannot* let them interact negatively beyond what has already happened.

This occured w/ our Shadow. I brought her inside, hugely pregnant and she *loved* all of our cats - all of whom were also friendly and interested in her. After she gave birth? Raging Demon Cat to all of our other housecats she previously got along with! When kittens went to the adoption center and she no longer 'mothered' them? She became the sweet, affectionate and lovey kitty she first was, and our cats accepted her into their lives. That was almost 10yrs ago.

Don't give up, it's just gonna be hard/difficult for a few months.

I have the abilities of single-minded determination and pin-point focu... Hey, look! A horse!
croplegs0713.jpg

#21 Tenacious Tins

Tenacious Tins

Formerly Confetti's Mom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,011 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:16 PM

Well here's the problem...I definitely don't want to give up on her but I don't have a suitable place in my home to put her...except maybe in the basement. But the basement door often gets left open and the other cats roam around freely down there. I can try to keep the door closed (I do anyway) but what if it accidentally gets left open? I can't really keep her here in my office. My office has two doors to the outside and my cats always come in those doors. Now they're sitting on the other side of the doors with these huge eyes, meowing at me, wondering why they can't be let in. I've led them around to the front so they'll come in there, but I hate to mess them up so badly.

Plus...my office has no AC and no way to put one in here due to the window structure. So it gets VERY hot in here...not good for kitties and I can't deal with it either. This room gets a lot of sun...most of the day in fact. So the only AC it gets is blown in by a fan that blows from the kitchen through the office door.

If I can keep her I will...she is a super sweet cat but I'm worried about an accident happening and one of our cats getting in the line of fire. Now my cats don't even want to come inside and they feel betrayed lol and my poor hubby is having a really hard time with it. I'm telling him that they're animals and they'll adapt and settle down but he can't stand the thought of letting his kitties down.

If I had a suitable place that was cool enough, I'd do it. The basement would work, if I could keep it shut up. I might try that anyway so I can have my office back. Right now all the cats are outside so I have the office door open so it can get cool in here.
~Christina~

HTTY

#22 Appaloosa Luver

Appaloosa Luver

Legally insane and proud of it!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:27 PM

Put a note on the basement door that reads keep door shut at all times. Sorry tins it's going rough! It's day 1 and day 1s aren't normally a cake walk with established kitties in the house! Been there done that. Give it a few days and reevaluate!!
Ive met a board buddy: Buddyroo, Gingerpie89, Snowyhorse, Greenhaven, Journeysgirl!!!

#23 Tenacious Tins

Tenacious Tins

Formerly Confetti's Mom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,011 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:30 PM

Thanks...I know nothing is good in one day or even a week...we've intro'd kitties before...but this is a whole nother level.

Moved her to the basement now and cam is offline for obvious reasons lol. We'll leave her down there with her own litter/food/water, the same she's used here today, and hopefully she will be ok. She's AWFUL social, so being down there alone is going to be tough on her. When I took her kittens down there, she started to drag them back upstairs to be with me, so I had to sit with her to let her know it was ok to be down there.
~Christina~

HTTY

#24 Heidi n Q

Heidi n Q

Queen of Cats

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,391 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:53 PM

You can still make it work for everybody by using a super-large wire dog kennel. I have several and they have become my cat-intro tool of choice. The cats can choose how close they wish to get and everyone controls their own comfort zones.

My indoor cats are used to foster cats/kitts so I don't have to place the crate in a corner to protect it from two sides. You can place the kennel in an appropriate area of your home and then you won't have doors cutting off air control. Mamma-cat may howl/yowl until she gets used to the comings/goings of the other cats, but during the time she stays in the crate they'll ALL be getting used to the sights/sounds/smells of each other.
When you need to feed, water, scoop and change bedding just grab mamma and put her in a carrier until you're done OR remove the indoor cats, close the doors and make darn sure no one opens a door while mamma-cat is loose in the room while you're doing her chores.

Good luck. It's a pain in the bahookie, but it is do-able. :huggy:

Skippyjon Jones in the Great Dane crate:
Posted Image

Meeting BooBoo:
Posted Image

Flooter saying how-de-do:
Posted Image

Jingle Belle, w/ Skippyjon visiting her and Louie waiting his turn:
Posted Image

BB recuperating indoors from a broken/amputated toe:
Posted Image

Kiki La recuperating from an injured hip/pelvis:
Posted Image

croplegs0713.jpg

#25 Tenacious Tins

Tenacious Tins

Formerly Confetti's Mom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,011 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 09:06 PM

Awwww..I always love seeing pictures of your kitties :happy0203: So far I've only convinced 2 of them to come back inside. They are highly offended...so much so they don't even want to go close to the house...so they'd rather lay in the rain and thunder and lightning. I've tempted them with canned cat food, usually that'd bring them no matter what but they've been scared off good lol. I feel horrible but they are animals, and they don't feel it nearly like I do. I'm trying to talk hubby into building a bit of the basement into a foster kitty area so I can do this more often. No one wants to adopt an 85 dollar cat from the shelter when they can get a nice free kitten with the paperwork for the 50 dollar clinic coming up. Mama kitty seems content down in the basement and it's not SO messy that I wouldn't be able to find her no matter what. Besides, I think she's rather partial to the big box I have her in now.
~Christina~

HTTY

#26 Mz Rat

Mz Rat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,247 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 11:47 PM

I would suggest the large crate also. We fostered 3 feral cats, a momma and her 2 babies. They lived in the mastiff's crate for several months. Worked well for meeting the other cats and dogs with out too much actual contact. Canned food works great for feral cats. If you need to put something on the wound, mix powdered sulfur with vaseline. Yes, she will lick it off but it will not hurt her. I have used this on cats with abscesses, dogs with puncture wounds as well as horses and the grandkids.

#27 Tenacious Tins

Tenacious Tins

Formerly Confetti's Mom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,011 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 11:56 PM

I will see if anyone has a large crate. Everything is going well in the basement for now. She is very settled and was sleeping when I went down to check on her. I think she must have been an indoor kitty at least part of her life because she's not going crazy to get outside and seems to have no fear of being indoors at all. But I bet she could beat up every single one of the neighbor cats...holy cow I've never seen a cat with that much fight lol
~Christina~

HTTY

#28 feeeeline

feeeeline

Crazy Cat Lady

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 11:58 PM

Mother is quite fabulous. I love babies. Looks like you have 2 brown patched tabby baby girls (some call them torbies) The ones with the red patches. All are adorable. Good on you for taking them in.

I was just going to say... Ooooh! A tiny torbie!!! I gots one of them (the utterly sweetest-baby-female-kitteh EV-AAAARRR)

Oooooo! Little babies!!!!!! Well done, Tins, and well done, momma-kitteh!!!1

Marge Simpson: Lisa, have I ever shown you my shattered-dreams box?
Lisa Simpson: No.
Marge Simpson: It's upstairs, in my disappointments closet.
Lisa Simpson: Oh! Oh.

#29 feeeeline

feeeeline

Crazy Cat Lady

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:10 AM

Tins, it may become a non-issue very quickly.... or, at least this has been my experience with foster-cats.

Jade came to me about to burst with bebes. My cats are fairly used to fosters, and I felt that she looked and felt healthy enough that I wasn't concerned about her coming into contact with my group.

The hissing was very mild. I have no idea if they DO know, but mine seemed to almost acknowledge that this unaltered female was to be treated as respectfully as possible. Maybe cats have evolved that way to protect the species? They know that a pregnant female is "different".

I put her into my cat-isolation room very soon after, but, like with your basement, she wasn't happy there. She escaped, found a comfortable spot under a drawer in my bathroom, and popped out 5 beautiful kittens.

The other cats were very, very respectful of the mom and babies. Jade wasn't particularly defensive (a sniff of noses, a firm hiss, and then both would back away, and it wasn't usually repeated with any particular cat more than once).

I've had litters of orphans with my group as well, and all the other adults seemed to know instantly "well, there mom goes again.. bringing home these little idiots for us to teach how to be REAL cats".

I don't know how many and what age you have in your place, but mine were various adults and near-adults, all spayed and neutered before they'd parented a litter.

Marge Simpson: Lisa, have I ever shown you my shattered-dreams box?
Lisa Simpson: No.
Marge Simpson: It's upstairs, in my disappointments closet.
Lisa Simpson: Oh! Oh.

#30 Heidi n Q

Heidi n Q

Queen of Cats

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,391 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:54 AM

I don't know how many and what age you have in your place, but mine were various adults and near-adults, all spayed and neutered before they'd parented a litter.

Same here, but most of my adult feral-to-housecats have birthed/sired at least one litter. Some may have had several before they found their way to me.
I also noticed my cats being very careful, patient and gracious with kittens. As the kitts grew older, the adults didn't mind correcting them but they usually let them do as they pleased. All adult cats started out being very respectful of each others' space and slowly grew comfortable enough to share space. There may be the occasional hiss or scuffle but no knock-down-drag-out fights indoors.
I snoozed on Saturday and had SEVEN cats sleeping with me - each one touching a part of my body. I was surrounded and trapped under the light quilt with the cats holding it down!

Back to the mamma-cat ... my most recent mom-cat, who went to Bestie's farm w/ 4 of her kitts, would ATTACK the back french doors whenever she'd see my housecats peering out at her or the kitts. She sounded terrible, like a wailing bansidhe whacking her claws/paws against the glass. My housecats would turn to look at me, as if to ask WTHeck she was doing.

croplegs0713.jpg