Quantcast

Photo

How Much Would You Pay Someone To Feed/watch Your Horses?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Foxie

Foxie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,374 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:08 AM

With the upcoming holidays, I'm faced with this questions. How much do you believe is fair to pay a teenager to come throw hay, water, and make sure your horses have no injuries? Daily rate/weekly.

Thanks!
United States Army - Military Police - Hooah!
~ Current New Adventure: From Military Police to Civilian Police Officer, oh boy.. here we go! ~

#2 Serah Rose

Serah Rose

Ramblin Rose?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,085 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:19 AM

once a day or twice a day? how close is the neighbor?
*Canter for the Cure*

http://www.etsy.com/...signByPorcupine - still need quills but have a few necklaces back in stock!

http://contributor.y...serah_rose.html my published articles

#3 ¤PaintJumper2oo4¤

¤PaintJumper2oo4¤

nice to meet you neeeeighbor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:21 AM

Are they traveling? Does the teen drive themselves or their parents? How many times a day?

I know whenever I did the dogsitting business as a kid, it was usually $5-$10 a day, depending on how far I went! I never asked for a specific rate, that's just what they paid me!

#4 Foxie

Foxie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,374 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:25 AM

I'd say less than 5 miles, and maybe once every other day. I want to pay them enough that they have incentive to do a good job, but not too much that they think they can goof off and get "easy" money.
United States Army - Military Police - Hooah!
~ Current New Adventure: From Military Police to Civilian Police Officer, oh boy.. here we go! ~

#5 Eskielvr

Eskielvr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:31 AM

once a day or twice a day? how close is the neighbor?

Ditto..

If they are close, 5 to 10 a day??

And leave auth for medical treatment in case of colic or other injury.

Smile.... it will make people wonder what you are up too. :happy0203:

#6 PaintMyPast

PaintMyPast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:38 AM

I charged 10/day for what you are describing. I figured it based on hours + gas. If it took me less than a half hour to feed, water, toos hay, and go over the critters, and it wasn't far, $10 was plenty (gas and minimum was were cheaper then, too!). If it was a big job, then I charged gas + per hour.
Posted Image

*~*~Favorite Quote of the Week*~*~

"Animals are unpredictable things so our whole life is unpredictable. It's a long tale of little triumphs and disasters and you've got to really like it to stick it. One thing, you never get bored. Here, have more whiskey." --James Harriot

#7 Mo's Mom

Mo's Mom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,277 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:17 PM

I pay $25.00 a day for 3 horses, fed twice daily, no stall to clean. She lives 4 miles away. She and her daughter knock it out in about 15 minutes each time. Advantage - they have the knowledge. They assistant manage the local big barn Jessica used to ride at, they are bonded, and this is a side business, legitimate income. They would spot is someone was hurt or colicing. I pay a little more for peace of mind. :happy0203:
Mom to:
Jessica and Anthony 16 year old twins.
Mo - 19 year old Arab
Cowboy - 13 year old Chincateague pony
Zeke - 8 YO Welsh cross project pony
Muchakin (Munchie) - 4YO Welsh cross project pony
Posted Image
I met a HC buddy...ExtraHannah

#8 slowgaiter2

slowgaiter2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:13 PM

i got $25.00/day for 3 horses and house sat the dog also..one of the horses was blanketed with private turnout for an hour plus stall cleaning for 3... i also cared for 17 other horses and drove school bus all in the same day so with that being said mornings i had to feed at the other barn at 5 a.m. i would come back to this barn and chore (which was about 10 miles) one way and then go back to the other barn... if the weather was bad i would go back and put the older horses in.... it was alot but owners had horses at both barns...and really couldn't find anyone ....it was what they paid me... i think they got a very good deal....

#9 RailroadWoman

RailroadWoman

That's My Boy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:28 PM

We usually can get one of our young staffers to house sit for us. We just let them stay at the house to critter sit then we pay one amount when we get home. My newest house sitter likes to hunt so I am useing that as incentive for him to pigion & bunny hunt all he wants.

Posted Image
Horses, Oh Horses Furry and Sweet.
You are always hungry And you have lots to eat.
The grass is your food, You are never rude.
Apples and oats are your snack After someone has been on your back.
You stand on you feet when you sleep, You never make a peep,
Under the tress, you peacefully sleep, While waiting for the next morning.
Horses, Oh Horses Furry and Sweet.
(Morgan Woodrow)

#10 BelleoftheBall

BelleoftheBall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:15 PM

I pay my neighbor kid $10 a day. All he has to do is feed and water and he lives right across the street. He feeds twice a day. In the summer when it's super hot, he will come over midday and turn the misters on and put her fly mask on.

#11 Peppers Dad

Peppers Dad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,477 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:41 AM

I used to have neighbor feed & water my horses when we were gone for a week or more, it was kind of a barter system, so no money was exchanged. Now I board them out for a cost of $7.00 a day, per horse, well worth the money & my peace of mind. Two weeks will cost right around $200.00, I get back two horses that are happy & healthy & don't want to leave. PD

#12 HeartFeltFarm

HeartFeltFarm

Sweet & Innocent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,515 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:52 PM

I pay my neice or nephew $25 for 3 days of feeding my critters. But my neice & nephew only live about a mile away, their dad is over at our house all the time (my brother) because we live on the same property as my dad, who he's coming to visit, and my dad knows horses well enough to know if something is wrong. My neice & nephew are 13 & 14. They're good kids.
I FINALLY met some board buddies! Rockyforme, atankforme, and STORM! And now...ozland, rattusrat, Tuckaway, Jynx, SxyHyRidinCwgrl, MoodyHorses, KNJ, BB Blue, smokeyjoe, bella_notte, qhridinGA, draftiemama, draftiepapa, LongingtoRun, HorseLes, hastflicka, QTime, tuper, Shelley and Andy Carter, myraven00, littlebayroan, mrs, dixiecowgirl25, KatyBlackJack, Mr KBJ, Colspal, daisysmom, TrottingRightBehind, Driftin'Mom, Driftin'Cowboy, Driftin'Cowgirl, Lash, BarnBarb, PineBarSissy, Loranbama, flequus, Rockabilly, Demon's Mom, HoofsInMotion, SpottedTApps, and MixedUpTease! And *SQUEEEE!!!!!!!!!* I MET THREE STARS CORC!!!!! :D

http://www.etsy.com/...pyHippieTyeDyes

#13 ¤PaintJumper2oo4¤

¤PaintJumper2oo4¤

nice to meet you neeeeighbor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:49 PM

Sorry to get sidetracked but HFF we need a Bella and Lilly update!!

#14 DawnC

DawnC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,729 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:19 PM

I pay the neighbor teens $10 day, with usually a little bonus tacked on. They feed/check horses, let dog out am & pm, and feed dog/cat at night. If a longer stay they also will feed all the lizards/turtles a couple of times.

Once they've graduated to school, I'll probably work out a trade w/the parents. They have critters as well, so we can kinda return the favor. I've been a country teenager though, so I know it is nice to have a way to earn a little extra cash.

#15 redneckcowgirl

redneckcowgirl

Fecal Agitator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,577 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:26 AM

I get paid $100 per Sat am to Mon Am for watching my vet's 7 dogs, 4 horses & 3 barn cats. When they are gone in Jan for the wife's Jamaica B day vacation, it's $500. (That is THEIR rate, not mine. I usually trade them for castrating something & hay.) &, with that, I scrub dog water buckets daily, clean poop, rinse down the outside runs, medicate the geriatric dogs, clean stalls that are open to the outside pasture, clean & fill the horse water tank as needed, (Have plucked a few barn swallows out, & felt that I needed to dump the thing,flush &refill.... ick, stupid birds!!! They JUST installed a Ritchie Waterer last week, so this January is going to be a BREEZE, lol!) feed the cats, & without their permission, snag the dogs & haul them into my shop for grooming. (Hey, I get a sick sense of amusement out of fluff drying Champion Field Trial dogs, lol! & LOVE the disgust on Doc's face when he comes home & sees the Bows in his dogs' ears!)

IF I had to PAY someone to look after my animals? (HAH! First off, I would have to be able to afford to GO somewhere!) With expecting the care *I* give them, $100 per 2 day weekend is not outrageous.

$10 per day? That's IT??? Really?

#16 journeysgirl

journeysgirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,824 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:29 AM

I do chores for friends and vice versa.. we've never paid each other in money. It's always a "good for services" kind of thing.

I spent a weekend staying at my friends house. Feed/turn out/cleaning stalls for 10 horses 2 times a day. She didn't pay me, but made sure the fridge had food in it my kids and I like (kids were with me). Made sure there was plenty of gas for the 4 wheeler cause my kids LOVE playing on it and we got to use the hot tub whenever we wanted. In exchange, I use her truck and trailer for weekend shows that I run so I've got a place to stay... Win/win

1c958838-4475-4695-b61d-b8ec73e28191_zps

If at first you don't succeed, do it the way your wife told you to.
The winds of heaven blow between my horses ears (Arab proverb)
Everyday you are unhappy is a whole day wasted not being happy.
Eff em and feed em fishheads!

Member of the "I met a board buddy club" : MarsCandyBar, Apps4life, Appyluver, Snowyhorse, Greenhaven

#17 teampenninglady123

teampenninglady123

C'est La Vie!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,560 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:11 AM

WOW, I guess I am cheap.

I charge: $25.00 per horse per month 2x daily feeding or a few sacks of feed amounting to same price.

If I turn out too to give their horse exercise, I double it per month. It is no sweat off of me to turn out. I take horse out, walk them about 100 feet to arena, let them go run around and 30 mins to hour later I pick them up. Usually, I am out there doing a lesson or cleaning my own or riding...so the horse might as well get some sun and fun.

If they need stall cleaning...I kick that to Possum and she charges same per month per horse. I do a good job with my own but Possum is the one who LOVES to pick stalls out...she is a bit OCD with it...I am not as fond of doing other stalls. If I had my way, Trey wouldn't even be in one at all( Proud cut and fights with geldings in pasture).

But you gotta figure I am already there 2x a day and so is she.

I am just doing for them what I do for my own and making a bit on the side 4 it.

Edited by teampenninglady123, 03 November 2012 - 09:17 AM.

Trey and I

#18 shannawoolf

shannawoolf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:08 AM

I pay 25.00 a day, she feeds 3 big horses, 2 minis, 2 goats and 2 show pigs. This is hay, grain and water 2x a day and we live 4 miles from town. She does this on rotating days as I work 2 on 4 off. She also cleans my house on one of my work days, this is an extra 75.00 a week

#19 dondie

dondie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,221 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:46 AM

You guys have it sooo cheap!
$65-100 per day for professional pet sitters.
If it's over night, double it and leave a house full of food when you leave.

FYI, lock down/disconnect the computers and cable/satellite pay per view movies too. Or you could come home to an even bigger bill. :twitch:
Board Buddies Met: Kina Kat, HeGotSpots! Cholla, I Been Running