• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 rvs

rvs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:16 AM

I've recently started (jan 9th) my horse on Purina BMZ..has anyone here have their horse on it and what are your results ..in case your wondering what BMZ is here's the description

BMZ is a biotin, methionine and zinc (organic) supplement. A quality hoof care topdress formulated specifically to increase hoof growth and integrity. Methionine is interchangeable with cysteine, a major amino acid of keritin, which is the main protein in connective tissue, such as hoof wall. Research has demonstrated that hoof integrity is directly related to zinc content in the hoof wall.
Biotin 667 mg/kg Zinz 5000 mg/kg

#2 missyclare

missyclare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,818 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:46 AM

No mention of copper? Copper is the real star player in hoof connective tissue. It works with zinc to fight iron.Zinc works either with copper, or against it and both of them either work together to control iron or against it. Any iron in it?. I don't like to see them focus on one or a few ingredients and tout them. What about selenium, a very important one for feet. They are all important and will be deficient if they are not in balance with each other. No copper or Se or Methionine in the analysis. My take is an incomplete guessing game.

#3 rvs

rvs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:54 PM

I should of maybe mentioned his entire day
daily
- 1 carrot
- 30gr probiotics
- 20gr kelp
- 30gr ground flax seed
- 30gr Purina BMZ
free choice hay timothy grass mix

here is Purina BMZ (analysis attached) incase I missed an ingredient but I don't think so
http://www.agripurina.ca/eq/en/horse-feeds/supplements-treats/3547-bmz/index.jsp

besides that he gets kelp for minerals ..this contains copper but clueless as if it's enough no selenium(analysis attached)
http://www.seaboost.ca/products/seablend-horses.html

with this he gets probiotics as clover will be popping out soon and he's always mild laminitic (low coffin bone, white line seperation )

#4 rvs

rvs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:01 PM

ooops trying to attach a pic of his probiotics which do contain copper ..hold on

#5 rvs

rvs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:04 PM

http://i50.tinypic.com/w2g6f9.jpg

#6 rvs

rvs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:07 PM

I should also mention I would like to add a vit/min selinium supplement to this but afraid of too much of something

Edited by rvs, 05 March 2013 - 02:08 PM.

#7 missyclare

missyclare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,818 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:43 PM

If he is on grass, he doesn't need a vitamin/mineral supplement, but if on a hay only diet, he needs 1000IU of Vit.E/day. (2IU/lb of body weight)

Most people usually buy seaweed for the iodine. There is a little bit of everything in there....little bit. The copper has anywhere from 4-15ppm Cu, which means .1134mg/oz to .43mg/oz. (negligible) This is what is delivered in 1oz. of product, but you're feeding 1tbn., so its anyone's guess as to how much is being delivered on any given day. 2000ppm of Vitamin C is not needed. Only for those that are ill or under stress and only temporarily to get them over the hump. Vit C. enhances iron absorption....not good. Along with the baddie of Iron, arsenic, cadmium, tin, lead, nickel etc. are also in it. These things are a part of daily life and are bad, so why elect to feed them? May be a overdose of iodine, which these products are famous for. 4.9g in the probiotics and a horse requires 3.5mg/day and iodine can get toxic, just like selenium.

The copper in the seaweed is .43mg/oz and you are feeding 1tbn. so I'm thinking, negligible. The range at which any of these things are delivered in the seaweed is great, no pinning this down. Wonder what the source is.This is very important with this kind of product. Speaking of Source, one of the best ones, the iodine in it is also toxic and it has been recommended by other than the company that no more than 1tsp. should be fed due to toxic iodine. The feeding directions on the Source are incorrect and still are....still don't get it. Daily needs are 3.5mg/day and yours puts you at 4.9/day.

So, the seaweed is negligible with some nasties included. The Probiotics are low in iron, copper and zinc have met needs and are balanced at 2.8:1, which is a little lean, but ok. Manganese is low and the balance is off, on all 4 traces, but anything goes because the hay hasn't been tested. These minerals interact with each other and must be balanced. Simply meeting needs does not cut it.

If it were me, I'd lose them both and go with this one...perfect for selenium, iodine, copper, zinc, biotin, A, E,methionine and lysine. No need to add any more with this one. The biotin in this one also meets daily requirements dead on as well. Note the amount being delivered. You don't see this very often.

A vitamin/mineral supplement is not needed either, only E on hay only, sometimes A and C to help with things. Otherwise, he manufactures his own vitamins. As for probiotics, they should be in the "billions" to be effective. Ration Plus or yeast. 10 min/day of sunshine give him his daily Vitamin D, just like us.

http://www.californi...ngredients.html

Hope this helps to make life simpler and better.. :smilie:

Edited by missyclare, 15 March 2013 - 02:47 PM.

#8 Trinity

Trinity

Steampunk!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,778 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:43 PM

My opinion? Triple Crowns ration balancer if you can get it. Easy as pie to feed, low NSCs and most horses like it after acclimating. I absolutely notice big differences in the horses feet that I trim who I can convince to go on it. Thrush goes away even in bad conditions, white lines tighten up and soles gain depth, coats and skin look better in the winter, has built in probiotics, biotin , Methionine..good stuff.

It has soy so wont work for soy intolerant horses but thankfully those are rare. 1 lb a day is all you need. The only thing I add is flax

Crude Protein (min.) 30.00%
Lysine (min.) 2.00%
Methionine (min.) 0.50%
Threonine (min.) 1.00%
Crude Fat (min.) 3.00%
Crude Fiber (max.) 4.00%
Calcium (min.) 4.00%
Calcium (max.) 5.00%
Phosphorus (min.) 1.50%
Magnesium (min.) 2.40%
Iron (min.) 750 ppm
Potassium (min.) 1.40%
Selenium (min.) 3.40 ppm
Zinc (min.) 940 ppm
Manganese (min.) 580 ppm
Copper (min.) 295 ppm
Vitamin A (min.) 36,000 IU/lb
Vitamin D (min.) 6,000 IU/lb
Vitamin E (min.) 1,000 IU/lb
Ascorbic Acid (min.) 270 mg/lb
Biotin 1.40 mg/lb
Lactobacillus Acidophilus
Fermentation Product (min.) 10.0 million CFU/gm Saccharomyces Cerevisiae
Yeast Culture (min.) 20.0 million CFU/gm
Cellulase (Trichoderma
Longibrachiatum
Fermentation Extract (min.) 850 CMC–ase Units/lb Protease (Bacillus Subtilis
Fermentation Extract) (min.)
3.50 Northrup Units/lb

Ingredients
Dehulled Soybean Meal, Wheat Middlings, Ground Limestone, Monocalcium Phosphate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Defluorinated Phosphate, Magnesium Oxide, Yeast Culture, Hydrolyzed Yeast, Hydrated Sodium Calcium Aluminosilicate, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Distillers Dried Grains, Anise Seed, Fenugreek Seed, Dried Trichoderma Longibrachiatum Fermentation Extract, Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Extract, Zinc Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Kelp Meal, Copper Proteinate, Lecithin, Iron Proteinate, Magnesium Proteinate, Selenium Yeast, Soybean Oil, Salt, Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid (Source of Vitamin C), Niacin Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Beta Carotene, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Choline Chloride, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K Activity), Folic Acid, Sodium Bicarbonate, Cane Molasses, Stabilized Rice Bran, Calcium Carbonate, Brewers Dried Yeast, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Cobalt Sulfate, Ethylenediamine Dihydroiodide, Monosodium Phosphate, Flaxseed, Lignin Sulfonate, L-Lysine, DL- methionine, (Propionic Acid, Sodium Benzoate, Potassium Sorbate (Preservatives)). (Free from Restricted Ruminant Protein Products per Title 21, CFR 589.2000)

Edited by Trinity, 15 March 2013 - 04:49 PM.

Posted Image

I met a board buddy! NCtrailgirl, Dam Yankee, Dixie Belle, loverofhorses36, sappy, tequilaskye, BlueSkyeTraveler, Nara17, edenn3583, brlracer624, KatyB, glm0711, BellaLuna

Horse lovers are stable people

#9 Smilie

Smilie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:18 AM

MY opinion?
Forget all the suppliments until you get the diet right.
This a laminitic horse on pasture with 'clover popping up'??????Colver is very high in starch, not to mention the NSC in the rest of the grass. All the probiotics in the World are not going to eliminate the insulin spike cause by dumping NSC into his system
Get his forage correct, then suppliment what is missing
There are suppliments formulated specifically for IR horses.
I really like Remission. Formula4Feet was created by the laminitic clinic
Raising attractive , athletic Appaloosas, equally at home in the show ring and on the open trails
Cody Chrome Supreme member of the breed( superiors in trail,halter western pleasure hunter under saddle )
San Stone Image superiors in reining, western riding and trail
Miss Kilo Bright ApHC championship ROMs western pl, trail, HUS , hunter in hand, halter
A New Dimension three year old filly presently working with
Awarded With love 6 year old mare by Awarded, riding well and proven producer
Frankie hubby's senior trail horse
Rubix Hubby's jr trail horse
Dont Skip The Cadence by don't Skip This chip-three year old in training Sold
Mex , Dun Boy and Image, three yr old prospects

http://s335.photobuc...home/KiloBright

#10 Trinity

Trinity

Steampunk!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,778 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:43 AM

If this is a laminitic horse, he shouldnt be out on spring grass anyway.
Posted Image

I met a board buddy! NCtrailgirl, Dam Yankee, Dixie Belle, loverofhorses36, sappy, tequilaskye, BlueSkyeTraveler, Nara17, edenn3583, brlracer624, KatyB, glm0711, BellaLuna

#11 Smilie

Smilie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:59 AM

This sentence is what caught my attention:

with this he gets probiotics as clover will be popping out soon and he's always mild laminitic (low coffin bone, white line seperation )
Raising attractive , athletic Appaloosas, equally at home in the show ring and on the open trails
Cody Chrome Supreme member of the breed( superiors in trail,halter western pleasure hunter under saddle )
San Stone Image superiors in reining, western riding and trail
Miss Kilo Bright ApHC championship ROMs western pl, trail, HUS , hunter in hand, halter
A New Dimension three year old filly presently working with
Awarded With love 6 year old mare by Awarded, riding well and proven producer
Frankie hubby's senior trail horse
Rubix Hubby's jr trail horse
Dont Skip The Cadence by don't Skip This chip-three year old in training Sold
Mex , Dun Boy and Image, three yr old prospects

http://s335.photobuc...home/KiloBright

#12 rvs

rvs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:36 PM

MY opinion?
Forget all the suppliments until you get the diet right.
This a laminitic horse on pasture with 'clover popping up'??????Colver is very high in starch, not to mention the NSC in the rest of the grass. All the probiotics in the World are not going to eliminate the insulin spike cause by dumping NSC into his system
Get his forage correct, then suppliment what is missing
There are suppliments formulated specifically for IR horses.
I really like Remission. Formula4Feet was created by the laminitic clinic

I did not know there were supplement out there for sensitive horses..looking into it now ..thanks!

#13 missyclare

missyclare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,818 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:12 AM

The grass, particularily, the clover, is going to be the main enemy. Depending on the sensitivity, either out there to move with a muzzle or dry lot. The best plan is not to go there in the first place. Management is going to be important.
The Formula For Feet still makes my eyebrows go up. The arginine is a plus and has low iron. Sure is expensive.
I like Trinity's too, but higher in iron. Iron is also a main player to watch for and avoid. Iron always comes in store bought feed. So, if you want to avoid iron, Smilie's suggestion does and probably at half the cost.
California Trace is another good one, and a good one to compare with others for content. Its expensive too, but all you really need if you're not in trouble with the management.
Both the California Trace and Formula For Feet are low in iron.
You could also try Uckele, another excellent place to be.

#14 Trinity

Trinity

Steampunk!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,778 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:18 PM

I have to say, i noticed the iron also in the TC but the results really speak. and IMO it is the cheapest way to feed a horse on native grass for my region that doesnt need calories. We are high in iron here in some areas and it still absolutely grows better feet. Its more math than I want to do but I am sold on it. Been using it for years now even before I knew about the iron issue. I personally like one step feeding. I dont have time for much more than that.
Posted Image