20 replies to this topic

#1 Appaloosa Luver

Appaloosa Luver

Legally insane and proud of it!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,332 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:37 PM

Anyone try making their own? Looks simple enough. I've seen sew and no sew patterns. Hubby can sew good so I can get him to do it.

My ? is did you sew it or no? Is it similar to the moby wrap? Looks identical to me minus the tag that says moby.
Ive met a board buddy: Buddyroo, Gingerpie89, Snowyhorse, Greenhaven, Journeysgirl!!!

#2 MiSSxZURi

MiSSxZURi

~*Heather*~

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:11 PM

I had one of those little boutiques make a custom sling for me but I never ended up using it. I never feel quite comfortable trusting them even though I know they do their job.

They ARE super easy to do yourself though!

cd5d7f25-d1a7-43f7-b84d-876475136647_zps

#3 Heidi n Q

Heidi n Q

Queen of Cats

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,446 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:22 PM

I made a sling for a preggie co-worker. She LOVED it because it kept her hands free and her baby close. The only issue they had with it was her baby was taaaalllll and would wrap himself from her shoulder to almost past her opposite hip. This was *over* her breast/belly. Daddy is super-tall.

I made it out of linen with batik cotton for decoration at the end - the end could be used to cover mother/child during feeding in public or to shade the baby. I also purchased the rings from a website that made baby slings. The rings were advertised as lightweight but strong and one-piece w/ no gap or welded gap.

I have the abilities of single-minded determination and pin-point focu... Hey, look! A horse!
croplegs0713.jpg

#4 JumpinIrish4ever

JumpinIrish4ever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,888 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:04 PM

I never used a Moby but I have several woven wraps, a ring sling, and an Ergo carrier. I LOVE my wraps and ring sling. I'm hoping to use my Ergo more this summer. A great website is: www.thebabywearer.com
~*Kate & John*~

Visit My Website!

Proud Owner of Maywoods John, John, a Thoroughbred gelding!
i got to meet scamp nanner nanner!
R.I.P Irish...you were my baby girl, I love you...you will be in my heart forever...3/14/84-05/01/04

~Life isn't measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away...~

<a href="http://p086.ezboard.com/bacowboysprayer" target="_blank">http://p086.ezboard.com/bacowboysprayer</a>

Member of the "I met a Board Buddy Club". I met Scamp, wild horse, Mea772, NixRagDoll, RA, Icelady, PaintedHorizon, MadDog, Pam63, Docsplace, Trailmom, Wildmare, GoldPiper, Horseles, and Dapple!!

#5 Appaloosa Luver

Appaloosa Luver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,332 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:39 AM

I have a sling but I hated it. I have the carriers but I never liked them. Which is why I'm worried about spending the almost $60 for the moby!
Ive met a board buddy: Buddyroo, Gingerpie89, Snowyhorse, Greenhaven, Journeysgirl!!!

#6 Smokum

Smokum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:23 AM

I have a moby and I loved it. The thing to remember if you make your own is make sure its not a stretchy fabric. The moby is surprisingly not stretchy the long way so baby is very secure. The only thing I wish would be different was where baby sat in front of me, it made using it for breastfeeding impossible because the girls are too big (lol) and baby was in the wrong position. Other than that, I loved it because I could go anywhere with her, and it always kept her in a natural position, never cut off circulation to my daughters legs like carriers, and it was comfy for me :)

I got mine at Target for around 45, did the price go up that much?

Mama to 2 beautiful babies, one angel in heaven, 8 fur-babies; 6 dogs and 2 horses, and 19 chickens.

#7 Appaloosa Luver

Appaloosa Luver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,332 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:28 AM

The ones I like are of course $56. That's the thing I don't like about the carriers. I use the carriers for back carrying but that's it.

Thanks for the not stretchy fabric! Is it hot in the summer??

#8 Smokum

Smokum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:51 AM

Posted Image

It was a bit, ah, sticky :blink: in the summer. It wasn't too bad if it was around 70-75 or so, but if it was any hotter no way I was baby wearing. I did use it if I went shopping in the mall or wherever there was air conditioning though, just not walks in the park or anything... Used it a lot more fall through early summer.

Mama to 2 beautiful babies, one angel in heaven, 8 fur-babies; 6 dogs and 2 horses, and 19 chickens.

#9 Appaloosa Luver

Appaloosa Luver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,332 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:59 AM

Ok. I'm hoping hubby gets ac in the house this summer!!! We roasted last summer. Hubby's not gonna wanna roast again w/o ac. Plus baby's due July 10thish. Keeps changing. Lol

#10 MiSSxZURi

MiSSxZURi

~*Heather*~

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:02 PM

The ones I like are of course $56. That's the thing I don't like about the carriers. I use the carriers for back carrying but that's it.

Thanks for the not stretchy fabric! Is it hot in the summer??

Yes...!

#11 Appaloosa Luver

Appaloosa Luver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,332 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:02 PM

LOL well crud!

#12 MiSSxZURi

MiSSxZURi

~*Heather*~

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:14 PM

Just carry one of those little battery operated fans around your neck! :)
OR have hubby follow you with a giant leaf fan. Yeah, that's a good one!

#13 Appaloosa Luver

Appaloosa Luver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,332 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:24 PM

TOTALLY the second one!!! With grapes and a glass of sweet tea!!

#14 MiSSxZURi

MiSSxZURi

~*Heather*~

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:28 PM

TOTALLY the second one!!! With grapes and a glass of sweet tea!!

Sweet tea?? Come on lady I know you meant some red wine.

#15 Appaloosa Luver

Appaloosa Luver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,332 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:30 PM

Ah well now I've never drank wine. Heck I hardly drink any alcohol. LOL I'm boring!!

#16 MiSSxZURi

MiSSxZURi

~*Heather*~

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:35 PM

lol red wine is good for your heart! It's fun to sip at the end of a long week. Get a hot bubble bath going, some wine and a book and man... that's a good night!

#17 Appaloosa Luver

Appaloosa Luver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,332 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:38 PM

LOL I bet!! In TN we had a jet tub. That was a tub I could relax in. This ones tiny.

#18 MiSSxZURi

MiSSxZURi

~*Heather*~

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:46 PM

lol I am very picky about my bath tub/bathrooms! When we move I am making my boyfriend knock out a new one for me, it's one thing I won't settle on!

#19 Appaloosa Luver

Appaloosa Luver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,332 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:10 PM

LOL I need SPACE. This house is freaking tiny! The house were in now w/o the basement is about 640 square feet. I've got me, hubby and the 2 girls and baby coming. Me and hubby live in the basement and the older girls will be sharing a room and baby will have her own. We need a bigger house!!! Oh and only 1 bathroom. It sucks!!

#20 MiSSxZURi

MiSSxZURi

~*Heather*~

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:57 PM

Good lord!!! My one bedroom apartment is 700 sqft and I gave my kids the bedroom with a bunk bed. I sleep in the living room. I FEELL you with needing space.

#21 Appaloosa Luver

Appaloosa Luver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,332 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:59 PM

Yeah I think basement and all it's like 1060. It was super cramped with Bruno and meshia (Bruno 86lbs meshia 70lbs) running the house. Then the cats. Lol