• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 Jumpergirl99

Jumpergirl99

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 11:14 PM

next year I will be a freshmen in high school and have started seriously thinking about what i want to do after school. I consider myself college bound and want to make a career out of riding (Hunter/Jumpers, Eventing). one of the best ways i can think of learning is by taking a job as a working student, most likely off campus during my senior year of high school if i have kept my grades up.

Have any of you guys been working students? what was the experience like and do you feel like it aided you in your career with horses? is this something i should seriously consider doing my senior year of school? any advice or information is greatly appreciated.

Edit:
My district will allow you to take some or all of your classes off campus. so basically you do all the work independently and meet with a teacher once a week to check your status turn in work and take test. sorry for the confusion. If i do decide to take a working student job, i would take all my classes independently and either live on site or commute every day. it would be a full time job, not just a few hours.

Edited by Jumpergirl99, 11 April 2013 - 09:30 PM.

#2 nick

nick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,900 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:11 AM

at our barn we have working students, and the position is much in demand because of our trainer and the programs on offer. they pay for the privilege of learning from her for 9 months. don't know how it is in the states, but that's the way it is over here. (germany)

it's also a huge time comittment. i don't know of many trainers content with having someone around for 2 hours a day, so that's something to consider as well.

good for you for having goals!
nick

#3 Taglet

Taglet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,608 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:49 PM

I know some working student positions pay, but mine did not and know several don't. Often you work at the barn to earn lessons. In my case, I was living at the stable so I worked in exchange for a room, food and board for my horse.

It was a great experience, but it was a lot of work. We were up and running by 6 (at the latest) and worked all day. It was an eventing barn that also grew their own hay so on top of riding horses, mucking and general farm maintenance we also had to bale hay and then the dreaded task of picking the bales off the field. (By hand) I haven't been as fit and healthy as I was that year ever since! Days were long, likely because I was living there, but we probably would work 10-15 hour days. I was the only girl, so I was constantly trying to keep up with the guys!

It gave me a lot of opportunities. I rode with a great coach, rode some fantastic horses and overall had a blast. It's a good place to "get known" by people. I don't know how that will work if you're still in school since all the positions I've seen are full time. I suppose that's up to the individual barn. If you can find a good position that will allow you to work with a trainer you know and respect, I would take it. I always tell people that networking is amazing, no matter your profession. I was given a lot of horses to ride and have gotten a lot of jobs, etc just by getting my name out there proving myself as a hard worker.

Posted Image

.:Melanie:.

#4 EqQueen98

EqQueen98

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:36 PM

A girl at my barn is a working student. She rides a little and shows sometimes. She works hard, and cleans up after us! Kind if like a groom but worse. Honestly, if it's gonna burn you up being around people who don't need to work to have their horses boarded at top notch barns, it won't work. Try dealing with us eq ******* and hunter princesses all day. Eq ***** and proud! I make the grooms WORK! That's what I pay them for. Long live the EqQueen.

#5 nick

nick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,900 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 04:54 PM

A girl at my barn is a working student. She rides a little and shows sometimes. She works hard, and cleans up after us! Kind if like a groom but worse. Honestly, if it's gonna burn you up being around people who don't need to work to have their horses boarded at top notch barns, it won't work. Try dealing with us eq ******* and hunter princesses all day. Eq ***** and proud! I make the grooms WORK! That's what I pay them for. Long live the EqQueen

oy vey.  where is the *yawn* emoticon?    

nick

#6 EqQueen98

EqQueen98

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 05:35 PM

Well gee thanks. Love that you are so educated in the hunter world. Wake up to our world, nick. That's the way it and should be.

#7 nick

nick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,900 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:30 AM

wake up yourself.  hunter/jumpers were my life until around five years ago, when it became dreadfully boring.   all that posing just wore me out 

as an adult, and as a kid your age even, i consider treating people with courtesy polite.    maybe (or not) your time will come.  hope you pay her a decent wage.

(are you sure you're american and not, say, singaporean?  they embrace your attitude when it comes to *underlings*)

nick

#8 psmitty

psmitty

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,232 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 04:43 PM

A girl at my barn is a working student. She rides a little and shows sometimes. She works hard, and cleans up after us! Kind if like a groom but worse. Honestly, if it's gonna burn you up being around people who don't need to work to have their horses boarded at top notch barns, it won't work. Try dealing with us eq ******* and hunter princesses all day. Eq ***** and proud! I make the grooms WORK! That's what I pay them for. Long live the EqQueen.

Well, aren't you just the classy one. Bless your little heart.

Edited by psmitty, 21 July 2013 - 04:44 PM.

#9 EqQueen98

EqQueen98

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:21 PM

Well, aren't you just the classy one. Bless your little heart.

Gee thanks, classy is my middle name.

#10 psmitty

psmitty

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,232 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:38 PM

Isn't it past your bed time Honey Boo Boo. Lol

Edited by psmitty, 21 July 2013 - 09:39 PM.

#11 Sayge

Sayge

Monster Tamer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,351 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 11:30 PM

Psmitty you are cracking me up something fierce!

Owned by:

Tilly Monster- 9 yr old North American Spotted Draft
Kisser Lou- 8 yr old MFT cross
Yoko Oh No!- 3 yr old Australian Shepherd
Ming Ling- 1 yr old Boston Terrier cross

Jefe and Pepe- Black headed caiques 

#12 EqQueen98

EqQueen98

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:59 AM

Isn't it past your bed time Honey Boo Boo. Lol

Ummm no.... Honey Boo Boo is fat and ugly and I am neither. Why the **** are you calling me that? And nope, I don't have a bedtime.

#13 LostHorseRider

LostHorseRider

Ride The Journey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:28 AM

Ummm no.... Honey Boo Boo is fat and ugly and I am neither. Why the **** are you calling me that? And nope, I don't have a bedtime.

Maybe you should...
Your parents know you online? You don't seem old enough to be online without permission from your parents.
Jasper , Savvy and Taylor (currently with his other owner)

Met Board Buddies-Morning Dusk , Smileitlooksgoodonyou and Storey!!

#14 Muppet

Muppet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:58 AM

Hi EqQueen - I see you've come over here after getting banned twice on another forum for being a rude obnoxious troll......I see you didn't learn the first two times.

#15 EqQueen98

EqQueen98

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:10 PM

Hi EqQueen - I see you've come over here after getting banned twice on another forum for being a rude obnoxious troll......I see you didn't learn the first two times.

I got banned... So? I have given helpful advice here, someone had a question about Segunda bits and I helped her with it. I'm not a troll, I'm a real person with a life that I describe a bit of, and if you read the last post, by ScarlettEqQueen97, it's an apology. Clearly you didn't. And the woman with the biting question was thankful and very nice.

#16 Muppet

Muppet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:18 PM

I got banned... So? I have given helpful advice here, someone had a question about Segunda bits and I helped her with it. I'm not a troll, I'm a real person with a life that I describe a bit of, and if you read the last post, by ScarlettEqQueen97, it's an apology. Clearly you didn't. And the woman with the biting question was thankful and very nice.

Oh yes I read your last post as Scarlett! Was hilarious! You got banned because your obnoxious and you failed to read forum rules and you got permanently banned. If you come on forums and act like an *** you will be treated like one.....and rightly so.

#17 EqQueen98

EqQueen98

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:22 PM

Whatever, *****. Have a nice life, although I'm not convinced you deserve it in the slightest. In fact, you DON'T.

#18 Muppet

Muppet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:25 PM

Whatever, *****. Have a nice life, although I'm not convinced you deserve it in the slightest. In fact, you DON'T.

Haha and a snot nose brat like you does? Bahahahaha!!!! I HAVE a nice life thank you! Have a nice day!

#19 Muppet

Muppet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:25 PM

Psmitty you are cracking me up something fierce!

Totally agree!

#20 hunterguy398

hunterguy398

Professional Spawn Eater

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:00 PM

EqQueen is obviously an attention-starved wanna-be. Woof.

Anyway, I'm currently a working student on the "A" circuit for a wonderful trainer at a fantastic facility and loving every minute of it. Yes, it's hard work but name something in the horse world that isn't. My boss lets me know every day how much she appreciates my hard work and the clients do as well.

Only white trash and wildly unsuccessful people treat their workers like EqQueen claims to do.

--Chris--

aka. Dude.
HorseCity's resident Hunter Prince.

I met a board buddy! Paintpony1

#21 nick

nick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,900 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:03 PM

hey hunterguy!!  hunter/jumper boards are jumping now!!

nick

#22 High Oxer

High Oxer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:04 PM

Sic her Muppet!!

As one of the people wielding the banhammer on her, I'm glad to see others call out this fantasy poster. Hmm...I don't have to be so mod-like here......

#23 nick

nick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,900 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:07 PM

And the woman with the biting question was thankful and very nice.

the "biting" question?  i think it was a *bitting* question.

nick

#24 hunterguy398

hunterguy398

Professional Spawn Eater

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:11 PM

hey hunterguy!!  hunter/jumper boards are jumping now!!

Hey girl heyyy!!! Nick you're not kidding...this is all the drama I could have dreamed for plus some!

Definitely some like circa 2006 HC stuff!!!

--Chris--

aka. Dude.
HorseCity's resident Hunter Prince.

I met a board buddy! Paintpony1

#25 EqQueen98

EqQueen98

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:15 PM

the "biting" question?  i think it was a *bitting* question.

Excuuuuuuse me. AutoCorrect tells me bitting is not a word, I meant bitting but it was changed to biting. Stupid iPhone.

#26 nick

nick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,900 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:19 PM

then lose the iPhone.

nick

#27 EqQueen98

EqQueen98

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:22 PM

then lose the iPhone.

No way. Jk I love it. I couldn't live without it!

#28 psmitty

psmitty

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,232 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:51 PM

No way. Jk I love it. I couldn't live without it!

You have an iPhone? So do I (iPhone5). Wow, you are a commoner just like me. And here I was thinking you had a cadre of minions to do your evil bidding.

#29 Gracetw22

Gracetw22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:00 PM

Yeah because there are so many real deal barns in Saratoga that had decent eq kids at WEF. I can think of a jumper barn that attempted the equitation but then again I didn't feed the starving 15 year olds and kept to the hunters. Pipe down and let the big kids talk.

#30 High Oxer

High Oxer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:07 PM

Actually, I'm surprised she doesn't have a phone "caddy" who does all her texting for her. She might break a fingernail doing it. YIKES!