• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 railntrailcowgrl

railntrailcowgrl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 07:30 PM

Ok, I have a 4 year old (in April) quarter horse gelding. I'm having trouble getting him to gain weight and build muscle along his top line/neck.

Does anyone know of any good supplements and exercises that can be used to help bulk up a horse. He is a pleasure horse so I don't want to build him up for halter, just put some more meat on his bones.

He currently is on about 3 lb SafeChoice morning and evening with about 1/2 bale of GOOD timothy/alfalfa/orchard grass hay. Free choice trace mineral block and water. Also at the time the picture was taken he was on DAC Bloom (added fat and coat enhancer) and I didn't really see a difference with it.

Here is a picture...
 -

#2 Vee

Vee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 08:34 PM

A very good friend of mine swears by Rice Bran and his horses look amazing, it adds shine to the coat and keeps the weight on them. They are mostly cutting/wch horses. Also, lots and lots of long trotting (and if you have slopes, back him up them) to build up the back end.

#3 qheventer

qheventer

Author & Rider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,725 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 08:44 PM

I personally don't like mixing feeds with supplements because you can easily double up on things and also throw balances off. I like to feed either basic grains and a good all around supplement or a good commercial feed that gets the results I'm wanting.

Also the thing to keep in mind in regards to feed, if you're not able to feed exactly what's recommended on the bag, then your may be gaining or losing weight, but he's also getting less or more than the vitamins & minerals when you change the amounts.

For me, increasing fat has been the best way to get weight. We use flax seed & cocosoya oil to do that and have had very good results with weight. But we've also had phenomenal results with their coats - the water beads off of them they're so slick. But we've seen changes in feet & stamina as well.

I also feed soaked beet pulp shreds or alfalfa cubes but I've gotten more weight off of the fat.

As far as feeds go, I like Triple Crown feeds the best.

I spent a lot of years feeding Purina but the last couple of years I've gotten the absolute best results on beet pulp or alf cubes, rolled oats & barley, soybean and flaxseed meal.

#4 Palomino show girl

Palomino show girl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 985 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 09:31 PM

I've struggled for a long time with my horse to gain weight. What really helped is the feed Ultium! I LOVE ULTIUM! It is a life saver. It helped put on the pounds onto my skeleton horse that I had tried EVERYTHING on. He is on about a pound or 2 a day which is added in his other feed Strategy, which he gets about 5 pounds of a day. He gets feed twice daily. He also eats 4 flakes of good brome hay every day. Both of these feeds are from Purina. Thay are amazing. Ultium helps add weight and it keeps it on during a grueling show season. It is a performance feed. Strategy is a good all around feed. Ultium also helps with the coat, keeps it shiny. I know many horses on it, and it worked for them too. They are big time halter horses that really have to get bulked up. My horse isn't a halter horse but it helps keep him a good weight. It is all about how much you feed. I'll give you the Purina website and you can research it. Trust me it works!
www.purina.com
Here is my horse well into the show season and he still has a good weight. We were afraid he would loose it from stress but he didn't.
 -

#5 happilyeverafter

happilyeverafter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 12:39 PM

my pleasur horse is also on the thin side for his conformiation build and hes on coca soya which i love and its cheep i give it to him evry day after i ride i feed it with naked rolled oats which is mainly a filler but also helps for weight too coca soya is good for weight building and a really nice coat ive only had him on it for 1 bottles worth and it just worked wonders and you can get it at any tack store or grain elevator [Smile]
hope that helped some

#6 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2007 - 07:04 PM

One great exercise for a halter horse is...

Drag em behind a truck!

I used to do it a long time ago with our drafts. We'd put the tailgate down, and drive around the track just slow enough for a good paced trot. Lots of trotting builds good muscles. Golf carts work well too. If you have a big yard or pasture, use that so you put less stress on your horses legs. Small circles are bad and I'll be the first to admit lunging is not that great. BUT lunging bitted up 3 or 4 days a week for short periods of time is fine. That will help strenghten the topline.

Make sure you feed is quality. I've never heard of safe choice. Consider feeding something with a higher fat content, Farnam weight builder, and beet pulp (SOAKED). A regular feed scoop or coffee can of build pulp morning and night with make a huge difference in your horse within a month. Do not add corn oil, it's a waste of money IMO.

[ 01-24-2007, 06:07 PM: Message edited by: paws8920 ]

#7 railntrailcowgrl

railntrailcowgrl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 05:15 PM

Thanks for the ideas everyone! You've given me alot of information to research what I think is best for him.

#8 railntrailcowgrl

railntrailcowgrl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 07:30 PM

Ok, I have a 4 year old (in April) quarter horse gelding. I'm having trouble getting him to gain weight and build muscle along his top line/neck.

Does anyone know of any good supplements and exercises that can be used to help bulk up a horse. He is a pleasure horse so I don't want to build him up for halter, just put some more meat on his bones.

He currently is on about 3 lb SafeChoice morning and evening with about 1/2 bale of GOOD timothy/alfalfa/orchard grass hay. Free choice trace mineral block and water. Also at the time the picture was taken he was on DAC Bloom (added fat and coat enhancer) and I didn't really see a difference with it.

Here is a picture...
 -

#9 Vee

Vee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 08:34 PM

A very good friend of mine swears by Rice Bran and his horses look amazing, it adds shine to the coat and keeps the weight on them. They are mostly cutting/wch horses. Also, lots and lots of long trotting (and if you have slopes, back him up them) to build up the back end.

#10 qheventer

qheventer

Author & Rider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,725 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 08:44 PM

I personally don't like mixing feeds with supplements because you can easily double up on things and also throw balances off. I like to feed either basic grains and a good all around supplement or a good commercial feed that gets the results I'm wanting.

Also the thing to keep in mind in regards to feed, if you're not able to feed exactly what's recommended on the bag, then your may be gaining or losing weight, but he's also getting less or more than the vitamins & minerals when you change the amounts.

For me, increasing fat has been the best way to get weight. We use flax seed & cocosoya oil to do that and have had very good results with weight. But we've also had phenomenal results with their coats - the water beads off of them they're so slick. But we've seen changes in feet & stamina as well.

I also feed soaked beet pulp shreds or alfalfa cubes but I've gotten more weight off of the fat.

As far as feeds go, I like Triple Crown feeds the best.

I spent a lot of years feeding Purina but the last couple of years I've gotten the absolute best results on beet pulp or alf cubes, rolled oats & barley, soybean and flaxseed meal.

#11 Palomino show girl

Palomino show girl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 985 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 09:31 PM

I've struggled for a long time with my horse to gain weight. What really helped is the feed Ultium! I LOVE ULTIUM! It is a life saver. It helped put on the pounds onto my skeleton horse that I had tried EVERYTHING on. He is on about a pound or 2 a day which is added in his other feed Strategy, which he gets about 5 pounds of a day. He gets feed twice daily. He also eats 4 flakes of good brome hay every day. Both of these feeds are from Purina. Thay are amazing. Ultium helps add weight and it keeps it on during a grueling show season. It is a performance feed. Strategy is a good all around feed. Ultium also helps with the coat, keeps it shiny. I know many horses on it, and it worked for them too. They are big time halter horses that really have to get bulked up. My horse isn't a halter horse but it helps keep him a good weight. It is all about how much you feed. I'll give you the Purina website and you can research it. Trust me it works!
www.purina.com
Here is my horse well into the show season and he still has a good weight. We were afraid he would loose it from stress but he didn't.
 -

#12 happilyeverafter

happilyeverafter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 12:39 PM

my pleasur horse is also on the thin side for his conformiation build and hes on coca soya which i love and its cheep i give it to him evry day after i ride i feed it with naked rolled oats which is mainly a filler but also helps for weight too coca soya is good for weight building and a really nice coat ive only had him on it for 1 bottles worth and it just worked wonders and you can get it at any tack store or grain elevator [Smile]
hope that helped some

#13 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2007 - 07:04 PM

One great exercise for a halter horse is...

Drag em behind a truck!

I used to do it a long time ago with our drafts. We'd put the tailgate down, and drive around the track just slow enough for a good paced trot. Lots of trotting builds good muscles. Golf carts work well too. If you have a big yard or pasture, use that so you put less stress on your horses legs. Small circles are bad and I'll be the first to admit lunging is not that great. BUT lunging bitted up 3 or 4 days a week for short periods of time is fine. That will help strenghten the topline.

Make sure you feed is quality. I've never heard of safe choice. Consider feeding something with a higher fat content, Farnam weight builder, and beet pulp (SOAKED). A regular feed scoop or coffee can of build pulp morning and night with make a huge difference in your horse within a month. Do not add corn oil, it's a waste of money IMO.

[ 01-24-2007, 06:07 PM: Message edited by: paws8920 ]

#14 railntrailcowgrl

railntrailcowgrl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 05:15 PM

Thanks for the ideas everyone! You've given me alot of information to research what I think is best for him.