31 replies to this topic

#1 Shy_Ky

Shy_Ky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 03:13 PM

I know this may sound like a dumb question but what bits are considered legal for a 6yr old that I would like to show AQHA. I was told the bit I'm using on him isn't legal. I think it is. So what bits are considered legal?? I'll post what mine is once I hear some responses.

#2 Blue skies

Blue skies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,219 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 03:41 PM

I believe you can download the AQHA rulebook at their website... you should be able to search it and read the descriptions for what is considered legal/illegal.

If you are a member, you should also be able to request a hard copy of the rulebook that they will mail to you.

#3 Shy_Ky

Shy_Ky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 03:53 PM

I'm not a current member right now. I just want to know if a high port correction bit is legal?? I was told not by someone but a guy who shows AQHA put the bit on my horse.

#4 Blue skies

Blue skies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,219 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 04:01 PM

I'm not familiar enough with western bits to tell you off the top of my head... but here is a link to the rulebook online.
http://www.aqha.com/association/registration/handbook.html

I believe the bit rules are under the show section.

#5 Shy_Ky

Shy_Ky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 04:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Blue skies:
I'm not familiar enough with western bits to tell you off the top of my head... but here is a link to the rulebook online.

THanks I looked earlier but was kind of confused about it. It said with a port no more than such adn such inches which i now mine isnt more than that. And it got me thinking then cuz it said I thought that spades were legal so then why wouldnt correction ones be.........ugh i'm so confused. THanks so much though.

#6 exes blue eyed devil

exes blue eyed devil

Once you go western, you'll never go back

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,859 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 04:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Shy_Ky:
I know this may sound like a dumb question but what bits are considered legal for a 6yr old that I would like to show AQHA. I was told the bit I'm using on him isn't legal. I think it is. So what bits are considered legal?? I'll post what mine is once I hear some responses.

Ports cannot be over 2" high, shanks no more than 8.5" long no prongs or donuts.

#7 Pamela

Pamela

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,070 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 04:53 PM

I already explained in simple terms what's legal and not.... didn't believe me huh? [Wink]

#8 Shy_Ky

Shy_Ky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 05:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Pamela:
I already explained in simple terms what's legal and not.... didn't believe me huh? [Wink]

No I did I was wanting reasons why and a clarification on the AQHA rule book cuz the bit I am using now by standards would be considered legal.......it meets all of those measurements.

#9 Shy_Ky

Shy_Ky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 05:04 PM

quote:

Another reason I was asking is because his bit has no prongs or doughnuts. I don't have any that do. It is just a 3 jointed bit with the port in the middle. That's why I was confused.

#10 exes blue eyed devil

exes blue eyed devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,859 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 11:51 AM

[/qb][/QUOTE]No I did I was wanting reasons why and a clarification on the AQHA rule book cuz the bit I am using now by standards would be considered legal.......it meets all of those measurements.[/QB][/QUOTe

If you could post a picture of your bit, many people on here could tell you what is or isn't legal about it. The rule book gives pictures of legal and illegal bits, but as to "why" a bit is illegal, who cares? [Confused]

#11 Shy_Ky

Shy_Ky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 12:09 PM

I'll post a link to a picture of the mouthpiece of my bit. It has shorter shanks then the one shown. I'm just wanting to know why my bit is considered illegal because from what I've read it mets requirements and was put on this horse by a guy who shows AQHA. That's the only reason I was asking. I'm new to the whole AQHA thing adn was wanting to make sure I was using the correct equipment. Anyways here's the mouthpiece of it.
http://www.smithbrothers.com/product.asp?p...hcd2=1182355898

#12 Pamela

Pamela

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,070 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 01:14 PM

That has no prongs, it's legal. But I still think you've be so happy with a different bit. If your horse goes in this, then I think you could use this:

Herre's the spoon, not a true straight hanger, but the fixed mouth peice and spoon is what I'm suggesting:
 -

Here's a cathedral bit, it's also not a straight hanger, but it has the mouth peice I would use if the horse didn't respect the first bit very well. This one WILL work! I have several different ones and love them!
 -

#13 exes blue eyed devil

exes blue eyed devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,859 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 02:54 PM

If that is the mouthpiece, your bit is not illegal. Whoever said it was, was mistaken. I do agree with Pamela, however, I love the spoon-mouth bit and would recommend it.

#14 Shy_Ky

Shy_Ky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 04:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by exes blue eyed devil:
If that is the mouthpiece, your bit is not illegal. Whoever said it was, was mistaken. I do agree with Pamela, however, I love the spoon-mouth bit and would recommend it.

Yes that is the mouthpice. I'm going to keep trying him in the one he is in for a bit more. Right now I don't have a lot of money to go out and spend on a new bit. I've seen the prices of some of those and I just can't afford a new one right now. But thanks to everyone who posted and answered my question for me.

#15 Pamela

Pamela

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,070 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 04:19 PM

Cathedral bit $27.99, item #263102
Spoon bit, $24.99, item #257353-S

Of course you'll eventually want quality, but for now... [Confused]
http://www.chicksaddlery.com/Merchant2/mer...egory_Code=1040

#16 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2007 - 10:20 PM

I have a spoon bit and it works wonders. I use it for reining because it was the next step up for one of my older mares. She listens so much more. YOu barely touch their mouth and they respond.
Its a great bit!

#17 Shy_Ky

Shy_Ky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 03:13 PM

#18 Blue skies

Blue skies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,219 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 03:41 PM

I believe you can download the AQHA rulebook at their website... you should be able to search it and read the descriptions for what is considered legal/illegal.

If you are a member, you should also be able to request a hard copy of the rulebook that they will mail to you.

#19 Shy_Ky

Shy_Ky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 03:53 PM

I'm not a current member right now. I just want to know if a high port correction bit is legal?? I was told not by someone but a guy who shows AQHA put the bit on my horse.

#20 Blue skies

Blue skies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,219 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 04:01 PM

#21 Shy_Ky

Shy_Ky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 04:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Blue skies:

THanks I looked earlier but was kind of confused about it. It said with a port no more than such adn such inches which i now mine isnt more than that. And it got me thinking then cuz it said I thought that spades were legal so then why wouldnt correction ones be.........ugh i'm so confused. THanks so much though.

#22 exes blue eyed devil

exes blue eyed devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,859 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 04:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Shy_Ky:

Ports cannot be over 2" high, shanks no more than 8.5" long no prongs or donuts.

#23 Pamela

Pamela

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,070 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 04:53 PM

#24 Shy_Ky

Shy_Ky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 05:02 PM

quote:

No I did I was wanting reasons why and a clarification on the AQHA rule book cuz the bit I am using now by standards would be considered legal.......it meets all of those measurements.

#25 Shy_Ky

Shy_Ky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 05:04 PM

quote:

Another reason I was asking is because his bit has no prongs or doughnuts. I don't have any that do. It is just a 3 jointed bit with the port in the middle. That's why I was confused.

#26 exes blue eyed devil

exes blue eyed devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,859 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 11:51 AM

[/qb][/QUOTE]No I did I was wanting reasons why and a clarification on the AQHA rule book cuz the bit I am using now by standards would be considered legal.......it meets all of those measurements.[/QB][/QUOTe

If you could post a picture of your bit, many people on here could tell you what is or isn't legal about it. The rule book gives pictures of legal and illegal bits, but as to "why" a bit is illegal, who cares? [Confused]

#27 Shy_Ky

Shy_Ky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 12:09 PM

I'll post a link to a picture of the mouthpiece of my bit. It has shorter shanks then the one shown. I'm just wanting to know why my bit is considered illegal because from what I've read it mets requirements and was put on this horse by a guy who shows AQHA. That's the only reason I was asking. I'm new to the whole AQHA thing adn was wanting to make sure I was using the correct equipment. Anyways here's the mouthpiece of it.
http://www.smithbrothers.com/product.asp?p...hcd2=1182355898

#28 Pamela

Pamela

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,070 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 01:14 PM

That has no prongs, it's legal. But I still think you've be so happy with a different bit. If your horse goes in this, then I think you could use this:

Herre's the spoon, not a true straight hanger, but the fixed mouth peice and spoon is what I'm suggesting:
 -

Here's a cathedral bit, it's also not a straight hanger, but it has the mouth peice I would use if the horse didn't respect the first bit very well. This one WILL work! I have several different ones and love them!
 -

#29 exes blue eyed devil

exes blue eyed devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,859 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 02:54 PM

#30 Shy_Ky

Shy_Ky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 04:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by exes blue eyed devil:

Yes that is the mouthpice. I'm going to keep trying him in the one he is in for a bit more. Right now I don't have a lot of money to go out and spend on a new bit. I've seen the prices of some of those and I just can't afford a new one right now. But thanks to everyone who posted and answered my question for me.