• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 mrbubbles

mrbubbles

• Members
  • Pip
  • 310 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 05:05 PM

Hello everyone. Well I am still in search of a really nice horse with the old foundation bloodlines at a reasonable price. I went and looked at the ones that I posted about a few weeks back and they were way to young and very wild. The mares were bred in pasture and foals were not messed with except when someone was interested in buying them, they were then forced down a long chute into a corral and fought with to get a halter on. Not the way I want to start a baby out.

I am going to look at some other horse on the 17th of this month and half have the Colonel Freckles bloodlines. Everyone keeps telling me that I can't and won't go wrong with those bloodlines and even babies that aren't messed with much are very easy to train due to the bloodlines. Does any one have any advice or info on this.

[ 11-06-2007, 04:37 PM: Message edited by: mrbubbles ]

#2 palomino gurl

palomino gurl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 423 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 06:37 PM

I bought a 2yo earlier this year who is a great-grandson of Colonel Freckles, actually he goes back to him twice, once on the top & bottom. He is very laid back & friendly. I actually have just started him & have 2 rides on him & he's doing really well so far.

#3 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2007 - 10:10 PM

Cant go wrong with that bloodline. But it just depends on the other side also.

#4 Mgtraining

Mgtraining

• Members
  • Pip
  • 266 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 11:21 PM

What kind of horse are you looking for? Great bloodlines for reining or even some cow horse work...not so good for western or english pleasure. Good luck

#5 mrbubbles

mrbubbles

• Members
  • Pip
  • 310 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 11:07 AM

Thanks for the replys.
Barefootlena Texas is a bit far to travel for me and $4,000 is definatley out of my price range.

I am looking for a nice reining prospect for myself and also one that my youngest daughter will be able to use in 4-h for drill team and maybe a gaming shoe or two. The gaming is not a major factor but the reining is.

I really like the stocky bulldog look and everyone that I know that has a quarter with these bloodlines no matter how far back seem to have the best laid back willing to work and learn attitude. I want something that will be versatile but also not crazy.

As far as the bloodlines go I can pm to anyone that is interested along with a picture of the horse that I am going to see.

#6 TxPALOMINO-Kim

TxPALOMINO-Kim

Yella Horse Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,791 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 11:58 AM

I've got a mare and a gelding that are Colonel Freckles lines. They are both friendly and in your pocket horses. My mare is spunky, yet calm under saddle. She LOVES to work. If you keep her busy, she's happy. My gelding is more laid back and easy going - not as much spunk, but he quick and long legged. Mare is Foundation bred. Gelding is not. So they actually have very different body shapes.

I love the lines and wouldn't hesitate to add another to my little herd of 2.

#7 mrbubbles

mrbubbles

• Members
  • Pip
  • 310 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 12:07 PM

Thanks. I can't wait to go and see this horse. I am a little unsure about buying a baby but I would prefer to start one myself versus buying one that has been started.

#8 qhridinGA

qhridinGA

Strongly Worded Southerner

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,875 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 01:29 PM

Barefootlena - You have a PM [Smiley Wavey]

#9 firststringfarms

firststringfarms

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,918 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 09:56 PM

My son's best show mare was a granddaughter of Colonel Freckles. Great mare, very easy to be with. Very level headed, loved to please. Could turn it up for the show, walk out of the pen and put a 2 year old baby on her and let her go and she'd be just as quiet as they come. Very athletic. Very cowy. Just a real nice easy horse.

Here's a few pics of her:

http://www.firststringfarms.com/gomer2.htm

She's no longer for sale, we sold her earlier this year. I really need to go update my website! [Smile]

#10 Jenet

Jenet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 02:02 AM

I have a gelding that is a grandson of Colonel Freckles. He is so athletic....roping, penning, barrels, poles, anything you want he will do.
He is also great with kids, very laid back but has the athleticism to compete.

Definately love the line!

#11 docsahottie

docsahottie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 12:15 PM

Nice bloodline to work with!
We had tried out a horse earlier last year who could be ridden on the barrel pattern bareback that was double bred Colonel Freckles!

He was very calm, his owners had started him themselves, he was a real good kind of horse that took good care of his rider, When I rode him to try him out, he went very slowly on slack rein, as if he knew I was nervous and was trying to take care of me, I was 6 weeks pregnant at the time< reason for my nervousness, and unfortunately they wanted $8500 for him, and $6000 for his trailer, and they BOTH had to go together, didn't have the money for it at the time, still don't!, but it was well worth going out there to see him! He was also a lineback dun with chrome, just about the prettiest built/looking gelding I had ever seen [Frown] Too bad we couldn't get him, but I wouldn't have hesitated to buy one like him later!

I wanted to add that I know bloodlines affect a horse's personality somewhat, but a lot more of it has to do with how that horse was handled/trained, like you said about how those babies are dealt with for their halter training! It just takes some patience, time, and effort to make a good horse what it is, the bloodlines I feel mostly help to determine the strong possibilities of what that horse could be good at doing, what they were "bred" to do!

#12 mayday95

mayday95

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 07:35 PM

my paint is his great grandson... he is a dream horse so far! he is 3 and we started him this summer

#13 mrbubbles

mrbubbles

• Members
  • Pip
  • 310 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 05:05 PM

Hello everyone. Well I am still in search of a really nice horse with the old foundation bloodlines at a reasonable price. I went and looked at the ones that I posted about a few weeks back and they were way to young and very wild. The mares were bred in pasture and foals were not messed with except when someone was interested in buying them, they were then forced down a long chute into a corral and fought with to get a halter on. Not the way I want to start a baby out.

I am going to look at some other horse on the 17th of this month and half have the Colonel Freckles bloodlines. Everyone keeps telling me that I can't and won't go wrong with those bloodlines and even babies that aren't messed with much are very easy to train due to the bloodlines. Does any one have any advice or info on this.

[ 11-06-2007, 04:37 PM: Message edited by: mrbubbles ]

#14 palomino gurl

palomino gurl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 423 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 06:37 PM

I bought a 2yo earlier this year who is a great-grandson of Colonel Freckles, actually he goes back to him twice, once on the top & bottom. He is very laid back & friendly. I actually have just started him & have 2 rides on him & he's doing really well so far.

#15 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2007 - 10:10 PM

Cant go wrong with that bloodline. But it just depends on the other side also.

#16 Mgtraining

Mgtraining

• Members
  • Pip
  • 266 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 11:21 PM

What kind of horse are you looking for? Great bloodlines for reining or even some cow horse work...not so good for western or english pleasure. Good luck

#17 mrbubbles

mrbubbles

• Members
  • Pip
  • 310 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 11:07 AM

Thanks for the replys.
Barefootlena Texas is a bit far to travel for me and $4,000 is definatley out of my price range.

I am looking for a nice reining prospect for myself and also one that my youngest daughter will be able to use in 4-h for drill team and maybe a gaming shoe or two. The gaming is not a major factor but the reining is.

I really like the stocky bulldog look and everyone that I know that has a quarter with these bloodlines no matter how far back seem to have the best laid back willing to work and learn attitude. I want something that will be versatile but also not crazy.

As far as the bloodlines go I can pm to anyone that is interested along with a picture of the horse that I am going to see.

#18 TxPALOMINO-Kim

TxPALOMINO-Kim

Yella Horse Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,791 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 11:58 AM

I've got a mare and a gelding that are Colonel Freckles lines. They are both friendly and in your pocket horses. My mare is spunky, yet calm under saddle. She LOVES to work. If you keep her busy, she's happy. My gelding is more laid back and easy going - not as much spunk, but he quick and long legged. Mare is Foundation bred. Gelding is not. So they actually have very different body shapes.

I love the lines and wouldn't hesitate to add another to my little herd of 2.

#19 mrbubbles

mrbubbles

• Members
  • Pip
  • 310 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 12:07 PM

Thanks. I can't wait to go and see this horse. I am a little unsure about buying a baby but I would prefer to start one myself versus buying one that has been started.

#20 qhridinGA

qhridinGA

Strongly Worded Southerner

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,875 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 01:29 PM

Barefootlena - You have a PM [Smiley Wavey]

#21 firststringfarms

firststringfarms

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,918 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 09:56 PM

My son's best show mare was a granddaughter of Colonel Freckles. Great mare, very easy to be with. Very level headed, loved to please. Could turn it up for the show, walk out of the pen and put a 2 year old baby on her and let her go and she'd be just as quiet as they come. Very athletic. Very cowy. Just a real nice easy horse.

Here's a few pics of her:

http://www.firststringfarms.com/gomer2.htm

She's no longer for sale, we sold her earlier this year. I really need to go update my website! [Smile]

#22 Jenet

Jenet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 02:02 AM

I have a gelding that is a grandson of Colonel Freckles. He is so athletic....roping, penning, barrels, poles, anything you want he will do.
He is also great with kids, very laid back but has the athleticism to compete.

Definately love the line!

#23 docsahottie

docsahottie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 12:15 PM

Nice bloodline to work with!
We had tried out a horse earlier last year who could be ridden on the barrel pattern bareback that was double bred Colonel Freckles!

He was very calm, his owners had started him themselves, he was a real good kind of horse that took good care of his rider, When I rode him to try him out, he went very slowly on slack rein, as if he knew I was nervous and was trying to take care of me, I was 6 weeks pregnant at the time< reason for my nervousness, and unfortunately they wanted $8500 for him, and $6000 for his trailer, and they BOTH had to go together, didn't have the money for it at the time, still don't!, but it was well worth going out there to see him! He was also a lineback dun with chrome, just about the prettiest built/looking gelding I had ever seen [Frown] Too bad we couldn't get him, but I wouldn't have hesitated to buy one like him later!

I wanted to add that I know bloodlines affect a horse's personality somewhat, but a lot more of it has to do with how that horse was handled/trained, like you said about how those babies are dealt with for their halter training! It just takes some patience, time, and effort to make a good horse what it is, the bloodlines I feel mostly help to determine the strong possibilities of what that horse could be good at doing, what they were "bred" to do!

#24 mayday95

mayday95

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 07:35 PM

my paint is his great grandson... he is a dream horse so far! he is 3 and we started him this summer