13 replies to this topic

#1 El Bandito

El Bandito

YOU- OFF my Planet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,281 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 12:52 AM

My gelding, who will be three MAy 11th, has just started pinning his ears and raising his head at EVERY horse that trots or canters by when we are at a horse show. He had never done this before either. What could possibly be causing this?

#2 Cheri Wolfe

Cheri Wolfe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,876 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 11:28 AM

He has found out that he 'gets a pass' in the show ring. Some find out real quickly when they will be reprimanded and when they won't.

You need to go to some practice shows or get some other show people to ride with you at a practice arena away from your home. Then, you need to 'set him up' and punish him for looking ill at another horse. You can spur hhim or spank him, but you need to do something that will get the point across in one or two reprimands. Otherwise, he will soon escalate the behavior to kicking or biting another horse that gets too close to him.

I would also do some ponying off of this horse. That is one of the best ways to tech them to tollerate horses in close proximity to them.

#3 lopenslow28

lopenslow28

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,104 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 11:33 AM

ya know, I showed intercollegiately and one time I was showing a horse that would pin hears and try to bite every horse that passed us and wouldn't trot when I asked. They took the horse out after that and come to find out, he had kidney stones! Yet they thought they would try to let people ride him anyways. Sometimes it's hard to tell WHY they do things like that and it may not be associated to behavior. It could be a pain issue. Ya never know.

When grooming him did you check for pain at all? Run the heel of your hand down each side of his spine and see if he swishes his tail, pins ears or flinches when you put pressure on his muscles. Maybe he is hurting? [Confused]

My mare does this occasionally when horse ride past us but she is a mare, she isn't used to horses riding past us....and she is getting better with it just from being in that situation. My horse is at the bottom of the totem pole so she is always a little on the defensive around other horses. [Roll Eyes]

#4 El Bandito

El Bandito

YOU- OFF my Planet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,281 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 11:44 AM

Well it's just started. Last horse show, only a month ago, he was all curious, ears up and ready to go. Then Bam.. ears pinned. Every time he'd pin his ears, I'd kick him. (didn't have my spurs) and tell him Quit. Of I'd kinda tighten the bit in his mouth, bump it. Nothin. I made him stand still in the middle of the arena while the other horses moved. He had them pinned still. He he telling other horses. "My owner... back off?"

Lopen- Banditt doesn't do anything. He hangs his head as he is being groomed, looking around loving it. Nothing bothers him while being groomed

#5 Cheri Wolfe

Cheri Wolfe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,876 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 11:50 AM

You have not reprimanded him severely enough to make him stop the behavior. You have to get after him hard enough that he is not willing to 'pay the price'.

All you did was 'peck' om him and that makes a horse worse than no reprimand at all.

#6 El Bandito

El Bandito

YOU- OFF my Planet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,281 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 11:55 AM

So what do you suggest I do to him. I might add, don't flame me anyone. That I'd jerk on the reins an tell him no, turn him in circles.

Why would he just start this behavior?
ETA: How do I reprimand him.. To fix his behavior while with other horses.

Don't know if this will help. He only does this in the Ring/arena
 -

See how much father his ears are back than everyone else's? I'm not tight on the reins, I was slowing him down. See the black mule in the back ground? He HATES that thing with a passion.

[ 04-06-2008, 12:11 PM: Message edited by: El Bandito ]

#7 audrey-mae

audrey-mae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,468 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 02:35 PM

He needs instant reprimand. Carry a dressage whip with you and give him a couple good hard (yes I mean hard) whips next time he does it. You are just nagging him at this point, he doesnt care about the way you try to discipline him, this should be an issue that is solved in one or two sessions.

#8 El Bandito

El Bandito

YOU- OFF my Planet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,281 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 12:52 AM

My gelding, who will be three MAy 11th, has just started pinning his ears and raising his head at EVERY horse that trots or canters by when we are at a horse show. He had never done this before either. What could possibly be causing this?

#9 Cheri Wolfe

Cheri Wolfe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,876 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 11:28 AM

He has found out that he 'gets a pass' in the show ring. Some find out real quickly when they will be reprimanded and when they won't.

You need to go to some practice shows or get some other show people to ride with you at a practice arena away from your home. Then, you need to 'set him up' and punish him for looking ill at another horse. You can spur hhim or spank him, but you need to do something that will get the point across in one or two reprimands. Otherwise, he will soon escalate the behavior to kicking or biting another horse that gets too close to him.

I would also do some ponying off of this horse. That is one of the best ways to tech them to tollerate horses in close proximity to them.

#10 lopenslow28

lopenslow28

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,104 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 11:33 AM

ya know, I showed intercollegiately and one time I was showing a horse that would pin hears and try to bite every horse that passed us and wouldn't trot when I asked. They took the horse out after that and come to find out, he had kidney stones! Yet they thought they would try to let people ride him anyways. Sometimes it's hard to tell WHY they do things like that and it may not be associated to behavior. It could be a pain issue. Ya never know.

When grooming him did you check for pain at all? Run the heel of your hand down each side of his spine and see if he swishes his tail, pins ears or flinches when you put pressure on his muscles. Maybe he is hurting? [Confused]

My mare does this occasionally when horse ride past us but she is a mare, she isn't used to horses riding past us....and she is getting better with it just from being in that situation. My horse is at the bottom of the totem pole so she is always a little on the defensive around other horses. [Roll Eyes]

#11 El Bandito

El Bandito

YOU- OFF my Planet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,281 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 11:44 AM

Well it's just started. Last horse show, only a month ago, he was all curious, ears up and ready to go. Then Bam.. ears pinned. Every time he'd pin his ears, I'd kick him. (didn't have my spurs) and tell him Quit. Of I'd kinda tighten the bit in his mouth, bump it. Nothin. I made him stand still in the middle of the arena while the other horses moved. He had them pinned still. He he telling other horses. "My owner... back off?"

Lopen- Banditt doesn't do anything. He hangs his head as he is being groomed, looking around loving it. Nothing bothers him while being groomed

#12 Cheri Wolfe

Cheri Wolfe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,876 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 11:50 AM

You have not reprimanded him severely enough to make him stop the behavior. You have to get after him hard enough that he is not willing to 'pay the price'.

All you did was 'peck' om him and that makes a horse worse than no reprimand at all.

#13 El Bandito

El Bandito

YOU- OFF my Planet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,281 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 11:55 AM

So what do you suggest I do to him. I might add, don't flame me anyone. That I'd jerk on the reins an tell him no, turn him in circles.

Why would he just start this behavior?
ETA: How do I reprimand him.. To fix his behavior while with other horses.

Don't know if this will help. He only does this in the Ring/arena
 -

See how much father his ears are back than everyone else's? I'm not tight on the reins, I was slowing him down. See the black mule in the back ground? He HATES that thing with a passion.

[ 04-06-2008, 12:11 PM: Message edited by: El Bandito ]

#14 audrey-mae

audrey-mae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,468 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 02:35 PM

He needs instant reprimand. Carry a dressage whip with you and give him a couple good hard (yes I mean hard) whips next time he does it. You are just nagging him at this point, he doesnt care about the way you try to discipline him, this should be an issue that is solved in one or two sessions.