11 replies to this topic

#1 WI cowgirl

WI cowgirl

Ohio Cowgirlz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 264 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 07:11 PM

I have a six yr old Appy gelding who has always had this fault...when hes in motion his toes of his hind feet always scrape the ground. Imagine holding a broom in one hand and swinging it back in forth in an arc and everytime it brushes against the ground. That is exactly what his hind feet are doing. Some people think hes just lazy but I'm wondering if its more of a conformation fault or something more? This has never caused problems and you don't even notice it when your riding. Just one of those things thats not perfect about him. Its not so bad because I ride in the grass but when we trail ride and we are trotting down the road, I notice he wears down his toes in the rear. He actually has square toes! I was just wondering what your suggestions are or if you've ever had a horse that had a similar problem??

#2 BuddyRoo

BuddyRoo

Bandwagon Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,292 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 07:49 PM

Well, if it were something that had just started, I'd be concerned about something neurological.

But you say he's done this for awhile.

Do you have pictures of his hind hooves?

A lot of times, horses will drag if they have too upright heel and a long toe....might be worth looking at.

#3 equestrianaddict

equestrianaddict

livin the dream!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 09:27 PM

Hmmm...have you tried trot poles? Maybe trot him over them and get those legs up!

another thing, one of my 7 yr old kept dragging his hind feet terribly. His front acted competely normal. Came to find out he needed his hocks injected. I would call your vet, maybe hes sore? Better safe than sorry! Hope you find out!

#4 MissMyBud

MissMyBud

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 10:14 AM

Injected a 7yr old? That's a real shame. He's too young to need that...there are many other things you can do to help them besides injections. I've worked on many horses that did this, and they have come thru it great. It's basically from not 'making' them pick up their feet when they're younger, allowing them to be lazy. Now you have to train it out of them. As the other poster said-ground poles is just one way to help.

#5 Smilie

Smilie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,259 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 12:37 PM

I also would check out the shoing and trim on the feet. Then I would rule out hock pain, checking for spavins or curbs. One can do a flexion test, like is done in a vet exam. Hold hock flexed for a few minutes , then immediately trot the horse foreward, having someone watch for lameness
Once these things are ruled out, you can do excercises that make a horse lift his feet, like ground poles

#6 Smilie

Smilie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,259 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 12:42 PM

PS
One more thing to check-how is his conformantion?
If he is post legged (hocks out behind him ) it will be more difficult for him to track up, making him short strided behind, so that the foot lands short and often toe first

#7 WI cowgirl

WI cowgirl

Ohio Cowgirlz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 264 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 07:11 PM

I have a six yr old Appy gelding who has always had this fault...when hes in motion his toes of his hind feet always scrape the ground. Imagine holding a broom in one hand and swinging it back in forth in an arc and everytime it brushes against the ground. That is exactly what his hind feet are doing. Some people think hes just lazy but I'm wondering if its more of a conformation fault or something more? This has never caused problems and you don't even notice it when your riding. Just one of those things thats not perfect about him. Its not so bad because I ride in the grass but when we trail ride and we are trotting down the road, I notice he wears down his toes in the rear. He actually has square toes! I was just wondering what your suggestions are or if you've ever had a horse that had a similar problem??

#8 BuddyRoo

BuddyRoo

Bandwagon Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,292 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 07:49 PM

Well, if it were something that had just started, I'd be concerned about something neurological.

But you say he's done this for awhile.

Do you have pictures of his hind hooves?

A lot of times, horses will drag if they have too upright heel and a long toe....might be worth looking at.

#9 equestrianaddict

equestrianaddict

livin the dream!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 09:27 PM

Hmmm...have you tried trot poles? Maybe trot him over them and get those legs up!

another thing, one of my 7 yr old kept dragging his hind feet terribly. His front acted competely normal. Came to find out he needed his hocks injected. I would call your vet, maybe hes sore? Better safe than sorry! Hope you find out!

#10 MissMyBud

MissMyBud

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 10:14 AM

Injected a 7yr old? That's a real shame. He's too young to need that...there are many other things you can do to help them besides injections. I've worked on many horses that did this, and they have come thru it great. It's basically from not 'making' them pick up their feet when they're younger, allowing them to be lazy. Now you have to train it out of them. As the other poster said-ground poles is just one way to help.

#11 Smilie

Smilie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,259 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 12:37 PM

I also would check out the shoing and trim on the feet. Then I would rule out hock pain, checking for spavins or curbs. One can do a flexion test, like is done in a vet exam. Hold hock flexed for a few minutes , then immediately trot the horse foreward, having someone watch for lameness
Once these things are ruled out, you can do excercises that make a horse lift his feet, like ground poles

#12 Smilie

Smilie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,259 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 12:42 PM

PS
One more thing to check-how is his conformantion?
If he is post legged (hocks out behind him ) it will be more difficult for him to track up, making him short strided behind, so that the foot lands short and often toe first