Quantcast

Photo

Those of you that have had a horse sprain their leg...

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 JenniferLVAQHA

JenniferLVAQHA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 10:48 PM

how long did you wait til after the horse stopped limping to ride again? She hasn't been limping for about 3-4 days and no swelling or anything....but should I go ahead and stay off her for about a week more or what? Thanks,

Jenn

#2 Holiday Red Bit

Holiday Red Bit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 03:20 AM

My gelding sprained his ankle and he was dead lame. We followed the vets orders..He was on stall rest for a month, getting iced everyday aswell as his ankle wrapped. Have you had a vet check your mares leg? Thats your best bet. You may think all is good, and then ride her and make everything worse.
So get a vet to examine her leg. Good luck! [Big Grin]

#3 Cash

Cash

• Members
  • Pip
  • 295 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 09:24 AM

I would contact your vet. Did your horse have a tendon sprain or was it a ankle? That would make a difference. For a tendon sprain you need to stay off at least a month with stall rest, icing the leg and wrapping it. If it is an ankle then you could probably start back to riding slow, walk and trot then work up to a lope after a couple of weeks. I would ice the leg after I ride no matter what. But still contact your vet as we do not know exactly what was wrong and we are not vets.

#4 JenniferLVAQHA

JenniferLVAQHA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 01:26 PM

I called my vet the minute that I saw she was limping. I described how her ankle area was a little swollen and tender to the touch. He didn't feel the need to come out and look at her. He told me to bute her for 5 days solid and do cold-water hosing. After 6 days there was no more limp/swelling, and about 5 days later..still good. My vet is out of town or else I'd call him to see what I should/shouldn't be doing at this point. I was just seeing if you guys have had any horses with a similar injury.....it's a hind leg by the way. Thanks.

#5 SpiritHorse

SpiritHorse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 03:43 PM

You are lucky then to get your horse back to riding so soon.
When our BLM was about 3 she did a number on herself, she sprained her tendons and was out for 5 months!!!
She must have twisted it the other day because her fetlock was slightly swollen and she was a limping. 2 grams of bute, cold water and Absorbine Gel she was perfect the next day.
Yikes my horses are too much like me LOL

#6 JenniferLVAQHA

JenniferLVAQHA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 01:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by SpiritHorse:
When our BLM was about 3 she did a number on herself, she sprained her tendons and was out for 5 months!!!
She must have twisted it the other day because her fetlock was slightly swollen and she was a limping. 2 grams of bute, cold water and Absorbine Gel she was perfect the next day.

Isn't that Absorbine gel great??? I forgot I had some and used it on her when she was still swollen. Within a few hours it had went down alot. Awesome stuff.

Anyways, I might just walk her around tomorrow (no trotting or anything) and see how she seems after.

#7 Heartofgold

Heartofgold

• Members
  • Pip
  • 458 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 01:52 PM

I would just be certain you start her back slowly - maybe on the lunge line or in the round pen so you can watch her go before you get on her back.

#8 SpiritHorse

SpiritHorse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 09:28 AM

I also use straight Absorbine too and the patches are great when you need 8 hours of liniment time! And they conform. Not to forget all three can be used on yourself I use it all the time for aches and pains!

I also agree that starting back should be slow and easy!

quote:
Originally posted by JenniferLVAQHA:
quote:

Isn't that Absorbine gel great??? I forgot I had some and used it on her when she was still swollen. Within a few hours it had went down alot. Awesome stuff.

Anyways, I might just walk her around tomorrow (no trotting or anything) and see how she seems after.

#9 JenniferLVAQHA

JenniferLVAQHA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 04:29 PM

I got a new saddle yesterday so I only walked her around the arena a couple times. It was too hot to ride much longer, dang heat!!! 105 today. Anyways, she is still doing great. Maybe not riding her due to the heat might be better for her than riding her now anyways...more healing time just in case.

#10 JenniferLVAQHA

JenniferLVAQHA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 10:48 PM

how long did you wait til after the horse stopped limping to ride again? She hasn't been limping for about 3-4 days and no swelling or anything....but should I go ahead and stay off her for about a week more or what? Thanks,

Jenn

#11 Holiday Red Bit

Holiday Red Bit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 03:20 AM

My gelding sprained his ankle and he was dead lame. We followed the vets orders..He was on stall rest for a month, getting iced everyday aswell as his ankle wrapped. Have you had a vet check your mares leg? Thats your best bet. You may think all is good, and then ride her and make everything worse.
So get a vet to examine her leg. Good luck! [Big Grin]

#12 Cash

Cash

• Members
  • Pip
  • 295 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 09:24 AM

I would contact your vet. Did your horse have a tendon sprain or was it a ankle? That would make a difference. For a tendon sprain you need to stay off at least a month with stall rest, icing the leg and wrapping it. If it is an ankle then you could probably start back to riding slow, walk and trot then work up to a lope after a couple of weeks. I would ice the leg after I ride no matter what. But still contact your vet as we do not know exactly what was wrong and we are not vets.

#13 JenniferLVAQHA

JenniferLVAQHA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 01:26 PM

I called my vet the minute that I saw she was limping. I described how her ankle area was a little swollen and tender to the touch. He didn't feel the need to come out and look at her. He told me to bute her for 5 days solid and do cold-water hosing. After 6 days there was no more limp/swelling, and about 5 days later..still good. My vet is out of town or else I'd call him to see what I should/shouldn't be doing at this point. I was just seeing if you guys have had any horses with a similar injury.....it's a hind leg by the way. Thanks.

#14 SpiritHorse

SpiritHorse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 03:43 PM

#15 JenniferLVAQHA

JenniferLVAQHA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 01:27 AM

quote:

#16 Heartofgold

Heartofgold

• Members
  • Pip
  • 458 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 01:52 PM

I would just be certain you start her back slowly - maybe on the lunge line or in the round pen so you can watch her go before you get on her back.

#17 SpiritHorse

SpiritHorse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 09:28 AM

I also use straight Absorbine too and the patches are great when you need 8 hours of liniment time! And they conform. Not to forget all three can be used on yourself I use it all the time for aches and pains!

I also agree that starting back should be slow and easy!

quote:
Originally posted by JenniferLVAQHA:
quote:

#18 JenniferLVAQHA

JenniferLVAQHA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 04:29 PM

I got a new saddle yesterday so I only walked her around the arena a couple times. It was too hot to ride much longer, dang heat!!! 105 today. Anyways, she is still doing great. Maybe not riding her due to the heat might be better for her than riding her now anyways...more healing time just in case.