• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 EnJay

EnJay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 04:03 PM

Hello all! I'm a newbie here, and recently rescued 3 horses. (This after being horse-less for many years and rather green myself) Brief history on the Appy mare, apprx 13 years old, hateful towards other horses at feeding time and in her previous home, injured her leg on the corral. Anyway, vet gave her a checkup (at previous owners, I have no records) and said she needs stall rest for 5-6 months..no bloodwork or urnialysis was run to my knowledge) I am concerned about her urination...its ALOT! Just saturates the area. She does however apprear to drink more than the other horses. Can horses be diabetic?? So some horses just drink/urinate more than others? The vet gave a clean bill of health otherwise apparently. Any suggestions to how to maintain her pen? We have her in a 20X40 (approx) pen, good ole' Arizona dirt on the ground...I tried shavings but she just saturates them and in 115 degrees, well, its not a pretty smell:) She seems healthy and happy, I really like her and hope she doesnt have a serious illness with this urination..Any tips, thoughts, ideas appreciated....Thank you!!!!

#2 live2rideEquus

live2rideEquus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 04:27 PM

Hello. We had a problem with a mare urinating really frequently. You say your mare saturates everything? Is she urinating a little bit frequently, or a lot less frequently. The mare I know would urinate a little bit very frequently. The vet said it was because of a change in feed, she had tummy ache and by urinating so frequently she was trying to relieve it. I am not sure if this is the same case with your mare or not. You said you just rescued her, so it is a possibility. Judging from what you have said, she just goes a LOT when she does go? I am not sure if this is much help. Any way....good luck. Hopefully someone on here can answer you better than I can.

[ 07-30-2005, 04:28 PM: Message edited by: live2rideEquus ]

#3 ozland

ozland

I'm an optimist. I think most people are half full of it.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45,315 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 09:45 PM

Does she have a salt block?

#4 EnJay

EnJay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 03:05 AM

Yes, she has a 12X20 foot shade (some people dont in AZ but I think thats crazy in this heat:) and a large salt block...I feed her Bermuda, no alfalfa, and maybe a handful of (the other horses) rice Bran pellets as a treat..Any other ideas???

#5 QTime

QTime

Trying to hang on....

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 07:06 AM

In that kind of heat she may just be drinking a lot more. Between my 2 the old guy has always drank a lot, which of course produced a lot. He makes a soggy mess of his stall on a daily basis, has done this for the 22 years I've had him. [Mad] Seeing that they have 24/7 in/out you would have thought some of it could be done outside, but noooo, we like our privacy. [Roll Eyes]

#6 EnJay

EnJay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 04:03 PM

Hello all! I'm a newbie here, and recently rescued 3 horses. (This after being horse-less for many years and rather green myself) Brief history on the Appy mare, apprx 13 years old, hateful towards other horses at feeding time and in her previous home, injured her leg on the corral. Anyway, vet gave her a checkup (at previous owners, I have no records) and said she needs stall rest for 5-6 months..no bloodwork or urnialysis was run to my knowledge) I am concerned about her urination...its ALOT! Just saturates the area. She does however apprear to drink more than the other horses. Can horses be diabetic?? So some horses just drink/urinate more than others? The vet gave a clean bill of health otherwise apparently. Any suggestions to how to maintain her pen? We have her in a 20X40 (approx) pen, good ole' Arizona dirt on the ground...I tried shavings but she just saturates them and in 115 degrees, well, its not a pretty smell:) She seems healthy and happy, I really like her and hope she doesnt have a serious illness with this urination..Any tips, thoughts, ideas appreciated....Thank you!!!!

#7 live2rideEquus

live2rideEquus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 04:27 PM

Hello. We had a problem with a mare urinating really frequently. You say your mare saturates everything? Is she urinating a little bit frequently, or a lot less frequently. The mare I know would urinate a little bit very frequently. The vet said it was because of a change in feed, she had tummy ache and by urinating so frequently she was trying to relieve it. I am not sure if this is the same case with your mare or not. You said you just rescued her, so it is a possibility. Judging from what you have said, she just goes a LOT when she does go? I am not sure if this is much help. Any way....good luck. Hopefully someone on here can answer you better than I can.

[ 07-30-2005, 04:28 PM: Message edited by: live2rideEquus ]

#8 ozland

ozland

I'm an optimist. I think most people are half full of it.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45,315 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 09:45 PM

Does she have a salt block?

#9 EnJay

EnJay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 03:05 AM

Yes, she has a 12X20 foot shade (some people dont in AZ but I think thats crazy in this heat:) and a large salt block...I feed her Bermuda, no alfalfa, and maybe a handful of (the other horses) rice Bran pellets as a treat..Any other ideas???

#10 QTime

QTime

Trying to hang on....

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 07:06 AM

In that kind of heat she may just be drinking a lot more. Between my 2 the old guy has always drank a lot, which of course produced a lot. He makes a soggy mess of his stall on a daily basis, has done this for the 22 years I've had him. [Mad] Seeing that they have 24/7 in/out you would have thought some of it could be done outside, but noooo, we like our privacy. [Roll Eyes]