• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 .Blueberry. Muffin.

.Blueberry. Muffin.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 09:17 PM

Just recently (about two months ago actually) my horse started to develop hard peely lumps along the right side of his girth. They later spread up along the whithers and towards his thighs. My trainer thinks these are protein bumps but I'm not sure what they are and what to do about them. My vet has been on holidays and doesn't come back until the middle of august. We phoned other vets but they are SOO busy and we would have to book an appointment [Confused] You can peel the bumps right off and they look like large black heads!! Any suggestions??

#2 mt-travler

mt-travler

• Members
  • Pip
  • 418 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 05:05 PM

Huh?!? Never heard of Protein bumps.... Is it righwormish??? [Confused]

#3 .Blueberry. Muffin.

.Blueberry. Muffin.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 08:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mt-travler:

What is rightwormish???

#4 leoned

leoned

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 10:48 PM

I think that was a typo and should read 'ringwormish' -

having said that, it doesn't, to me, sound like ringworm, and I too, have never heard of protein bumps - fat lumps yes (lipomas) - protein bumps as an allergic reaction to alfalfa, yes, but for this long?

would it be possible to post a picture?

I can't tell from your post if these things are small or large - if small i would suspect fly bites and if large, bots... either way I think you need a vet's opinion because they sound quite horrid

[Smiley Wavey]

#5 .Blueberry. Muffin.

.Blueberry. Muffin.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 11:01 PM

Sorry about the short description, whoops my bad [Big Grin] These bumps vary in size all over his right side but their not HUGE things their rather small. They've just started to appear and this has NEVER happened to him before. I'm really concerned because they are spreading rapidly. We haven't changed his diet whatsoever but he does eat alfalfa cubes at night. I don't have a picture of the bumps unfortunately but I will on thursday. I really have no clue what to do though. They don't bother him at all so thats a bit of a relief but I am concerned with them spreading.

#6 leoned

leoned

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 11:19 PM

I think you are right to be concerned... but beyond that I really can't be of much use - it sounds like an allergic reaction... but if you haven't changed his diet (unless it is a cumulative poisoning effect..... hmm.... so unlikely) it can't be that... so - fly spray? new girth/saddlepad cleanser? shampoo?

The other alternative is, I suppose, a disease that affects only one quadrant (like shingles in humans) - though for the life of me I can't imagine what... the problem is, as I see it - is it infectious? and if it spreads to the airways, can it cause enough swelling to choke the horse?

I really think for your own piece of mind, get a vet out... (I confidently diagnosed my horse with Pigeon Fever and was told it was a severe reaction to fly bites... in my mind I had her dead and buried, so it was worth $35 to be told I was an idiot LOL)

keep us posted with what you find out [Smiley Wavey]

#7 Grippen&Rippen

Grippen&Rippen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 10:29 AM

You can peel off the lump and it's black? As in...something IN IT? Like maybe warbles...?

http://forums.horsecity.com/cgi-bin/bb/ult...t=011908#000002

When was he last wormed?

#8 .Blueberry. Muffin.

.Blueberry. Muffin.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 02:35 PM

leoned- due to the flooding down here in Calgary the flies and mosquitos have tripled in population. Therefore we have been trying new fly sprays on him because none so far are effective enough to prevent the spread of bites around his chest area. I'm really starting to think its the fly spray now...hmmmmm.

Grippin&Rippin- he has been wormed but I'm sure he needs to be wormed again though. Also about the lumps, we just discovered that when you peel them off they are actually white and not black. The liquidy medicine we were using to put on the bumps turned them black (ugh!). But some are hard and some are soft and liquidy. I'm not positive if anythings living in them but I really wish a vet would be available so they can examine them.

#9 .Blueberry. Muffin.

.Blueberry. Muffin.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 09:17 PM

Just recently (about two months ago actually) my horse started to develop hard peely lumps along the right side of his girth. They later spread up along the whithers and towards his thighs. My trainer thinks these are protein bumps but I'm not sure what they are and what to do about them. My vet has been on holidays and doesn't come back until the middle of august. We phoned other vets but they are SOO busy and we would have to book an appointment [Confused] You can peel the bumps right off and they look like large black heads!! Any suggestions??

#10 mt-travler

mt-travler

• Members
  • Pip
  • 418 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 05:05 PM

#11 .Blueberry. Muffin.

.Blueberry. Muffin.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 08:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mt-travler:

What is rightwormish???

#12 leoned

leoned

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 10:48 PM

I think that was a typo and should read 'ringwormish' -

having said that, it doesn't, to me, sound like ringworm, and I too, have never heard of protein bumps - fat lumps yes (lipomas) - protein bumps as an allergic reaction to alfalfa, yes, but for this long?

would it be possible to post a picture?

I can't tell from your post if these things are small or large - if small i would suspect fly bites and if large, bots... either way I think you need a vet's opinion because they sound quite horrid

[Smiley Wavey]

#13 .Blueberry. Muffin.

.Blueberry. Muffin.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 11:01 PM

Sorry about the short description, whoops my bad [Big Grin] These bumps vary in size all over his right side but their not HUGE things their rather small. They've just started to appear and this has NEVER happened to him before. I'm really concerned because they are spreading rapidly. We haven't changed his diet whatsoever but he does eat alfalfa cubes at night. I don't have a picture of the bumps unfortunately but I will on thursday. I really have no clue what to do though. They don't bother him at all so thats a bit of a relief but I am concerned with them spreading.

#14 leoned

leoned

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 11:19 PM

I think you are right to be concerned... but beyond that I really can't be of much use - it sounds like an allergic reaction... but if you haven't changed his diet (unless it is a cumulative poisoning effect..... hmm.... so unlikely) it can't be that... so - fly spray? new girth/saddlepad cleanser? shampoo?

The other alternative is, I suppose, a disease that affects only one quadrant (like shingles in humans) - though for the life of me I can't imagine what... the problem is, as I see it - is it infectious? and if it spreads to the airways, can it cause enough swelling to choke the horse?

I really think for your own piece of mind, get a vet out... (I confidently diagnosed my horse with Pigeon Fever and was told it was a severe reaction to fly bites... in my mind I had her dead and buried, so it was worth $35 to be told I was an idiot LOL)

keep us posted with what you find out [Smiley Wavey]

#15 Grippen&Rippen

Grippen&Rippen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 10:29 AM

You can peel off the lump and it's black? As in...something IN IT? Like maybe warbles...?

http://forums.horsecity.com/cgi-bin/bb/ult...t=011908#000002

When was he last wormed?

#16 .Blueberry. Muffin.

.Blueberry. Muffin.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 02:35 PM

leoned- due to the flooding down here in Calgary the flies and mosquitos have tripled in population. Therefore we have been trying new fly sprays on him because none so far are effective enough to prevent the spread of bites around his chest area. I'm really starting to think its the fly spray now...hmmmmm.

Grippin&Rippin- he has been wormed but I'm sure he needs to be wormed again though. Also about the lumps, we just discovered that when you peel them off they are actually white and not black. The liquidy medicine we were using to put on the bumps turned them black (ugh!). But some are hard and some are soft and liquidy. I'm not positive if anythings living in them but I really wish a vet would be available so they can examine them.