13 replies to this topic

#1 lil_horse_lover

lil_horse_lover

• Members
  • Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 08:57 PM

Hello Everyone,
I have a yearling colt whos testicles have not dropped yet, and I was wondering when do they drop?? I am wanting to geld him next spring and I was wondering should I wait if he hasn't dropped by then???? Thanks in advance!! [Smiley Wavey]

#2 Mudder

Mudder

Keeper of the Wooden Spoons

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 36,498 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 10:12 PM

You should see evidence of them by now. But it isn't uncommon for them not to drop till age 2 or so. Some may only even have one, and other times its right there but just hasn't dropped down. So not any major surgury. Only if it's way up inside will the horse require major surgury.

#3 Foxie

Foxie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,372 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 10:15 PM

I have a one year & eight month old colt, who has only dropped one. He is probably going to require surgery.

Hope your boy's drops right.
[Smiley Wavey]

#4 goldentoes

goldentoes

can't stop singing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,374 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 08:50 AM

How far up have you, um, felt?

I know when I felt around I "thought" I could feel one, but the vet had no trouble finding and snipping them- they were dropped but not really visible and he would kind of suck them up when I went looking.

#5 PaintsRule

PaintsRule

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 07:47 AM

Most colts are born with them down. All of mine this year, were born with them down. BUT this being said, they can retract them, and some do, when you reach back to feel them, will pull them in. If you want to see if yours has his down and is pulling them up, try to catch him laying down (not flat on his side, but with legs tucked in under) and see if they are there. The laying down will push them out of the body cavity if they are there.

I would never buy without proof of both being down, as here, the surgery if they dont come down, can be over $1000. Late dropping (that is possible) can run in bloodlines, so if I was shopping for a stallion, I also would not buy one that was not dropped early, as I wouldnt want to risk having a sire that produced late droppers.

In 20 plus years of breeding, I have only had a very small handful that didnt drop at birth, and only had one that remained undropped when it was time to geld.

#6 MegaHempen

MegaHempen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 160 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 01:14 PM

My colt that is not quit a year and four months has dropped both of his.

#7 Tayook

Tayook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 09:49 AM

Taylor at 16 months is fully dropped and Spook has one down. Under sedation alot of times they will drop down if they haven't already, the muscles are all relaxed.

#8 lil_horse_lover

lil_horse_lover

• Members
  • Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 08:57 PM

Hello Everyone,
I have a yearling colt whos testicles have not dropped yet, and I was wondering when do they drop?? I am wanting to geld him next spring and I was wondering should I wait if he hasn't dropped by then???? Thanks in advance!! [Smiley Wavey]

#9 Mudder

Mudder

Keeper of the Wooden Spoons

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 36,498 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 10:12 PM

You should see evidence of them by now. But it isn't uncommon for them not to drop till age 2 or so. Some may only even have one, and other times its right there but just hasn't dropped down. So not any major surgury. Only if it's way up inside will the horse require major surgury.

#10 Foxie

Foxie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,372 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 10:15 PM

I have a one year & eight month old colt, who has only dropped one. He is probably going to require surgery.

Hope your boy's drops right.
[Smiley Wavey]

#11 goldentoes

goldentoes

can't stop singing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,374 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 08:50 AM

How far up have you, um, felt?

I know when I felt around I "thought" I could feel one, but the vet had no trouble finding and snipping them- they were dropped but not really visible and he would kind of suck them up when I went looking.

#12 PaintsRule

PaintsRule

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 07:47 AM

Most colts are born with them down. All of mine this year, were born with them down. BUT this being said, they can retract them, and some do, when you reach back to feel them, will pull them in. If you want to see if yours has his down and is pulling them up, try to catch him laying down (not flat on his side, but with legs tucked in under) and see if they are there. The laying down will push them out of the body cavity if they are there.

I would never buy without proof of both being down, as here, the surgery if they dont come down, can be over $1000. Late dropping (that is possible) can run in bloodlines, so if I was shopping for a stallion, I also would not buy one that was not dropped early, as I wouldnt want to risk having a sire that produced late droppers.

In 20 plus years of breeding, I have only had a very small handful that didnt drop at birth, and only had one that remained undropped when it was time to geld.

#13 MegaHempen

MegaHempen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 160 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 01:14 PM

My colt that is not quit a year and four months has dropped both of his.

#14 Tayook

Tayook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 09:49 AM

Taylor at 16 months is fully dropped and Spook has one down. Under sedation alot of times they will drop down if they haven't already, the muscles are all relaxed.