31 replies to this topic

#1 PonyHoney

PonyHoney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 11:00 PM

What is it? Is it the same as regular turpentine? Where do I get it? How does it work actually? And how does DMSO work with it? Thank you.

Debi

#2 colt

colt

Not Ded Colt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,962 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 11:59 PM

Venice Turpentine is a yellowish, viscous resin from the European Larch, a pine tree. It is used for lithographic work, as a sealing wax, and in varnishes. Horsemen have used it for years as a salve for cuts and as a hoof dressing.

you can buy it at any horse supply place.
http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?PG...fc-b9537be23775

it toughens the sole and draws out soreness.adding DMSO can hasten the absorption .

#3 heidi

heidi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 12:07 AM

I have also used regular turpentine to toughen the soles. Just be VERY careful not to get it on the skin!

Strong iodine will also work.

Sole pack is also a great product, it comes in pattys, and I think a liquid too. I usually use the pattys and wrap their feet in duct tape.

#4 colt

colt

Not Ded Colt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,962 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 12:46 PM

you can add the iodine to the VT...it will help also.

#5 PonyHoney

PonyHoney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 10:56 PM

Thanks for the link. Now I remember seeing that can all over the place! How many times a week should I put it on my horse? Would Betadine work like iodine? I happen to have those Sole Pack patties in my shop. I almost sold them--guess I'll use them. How often do you change them? Thank you everyone--I appreciate it!

Debi

#6 black horse

black horse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 11:14 PM

1 800 Jeffers sells both Venice Turpentine and DMSO. The DMSO helps it to get into the foot faster. I mix the top portion of my V.T. with DMSO and pour onto foot, cover with sheet cotton (paper towel or cotton will do) wrap a couple times with vet wrap, and several wraps of duct tape. (My "packs" stay on a couple of days) NEVER GO ABOVE THE CORONET BAND, if you accidentally do, cut down to relieve pressure with a pair of scissors, leave it on til they walk through it, repeat as necessary. [Big Grin]

#7 PonyHoney

PonyHoney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 10:14 PM

What if I'm putting venice turpentine on my horse's four feet because they're all ouchy? I can't wrap all his feet. Do I have to wrap if I use venice turpentine? Also, I found something in my shop called Reducine. It describes itself as a counter-irritant. But it sounds like it has a lot of the same ingredients that I've seen in the products that are called hoof hardeners and have the venice turpentine in them. Can I use this to harden his feet? This is the ingredients that are in it: potassium iodide, iodine resublimed, pine tar, saponified vegetable oils.
Thanks!

Debi

#8 black horse

black horse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 11:48 PM

Don't know about that, [Confused] no experience, but the V.T. and DMSO works very well, [Big Grin] and the V.T can be used by itself, just apply and cover with hoof shaped piece of sheet cotton or paper towel and let them walk it off, it would definately be better to wrap them and why couldn't you do all four feet, you'd get good at it by the time you were through. [Wink]

#9 colt

colt

Not Ded Colt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,962 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 08:06 AM

you dont have to wrap them..i mix my own hoof oil....maybe want to try....

in a one gallon jug mix
1 can reducine
1 can VT
1 cup wheat germ oil
top it off with fish oil(available at tack shop)

paint them daily,soles and coronary band down.mt TB mare is much better after a week of painting hers(recently going barefoot)

#10 Imagine That

Imagine That

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 09:04 AM

I use Venice Turpentine on my horse's feet to keep them from getting sore and to toughen them up. I don't wrap it, or add anything else to it. I just take an old hoof pick, and mush the turpentine around on the bottom of his foot. Just make sure you are in a stall or outside, not on concrete, it makes a sticky mess from their feet and takes forever to come up.

I do this close to every day or every other day. I wouldn't advise using the Sole Pack to frequently because it's kind of pricey to be using every day. Venice Turpentine only costs about 8 bucks.

Good luck!

#11 PonyHoney

PonyHoney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 10:16 PM

Oh, this is so exciting that the venice turpentine might actually help them! I ordered it.

Black Horse, the only reason I don't want to wrap all four feet is because it is a horror story whenever I have to wrap one foot when they have an abscess since they have to cross a creek daily to get back and forth from the barn to the pasture and it's hard to keep a wrapped foot dry. I use a Davis boot over the wrap and it's one pain in the butt to get it on and off. I coat it with corn oil and that helps, but it's still difficult. I'd be pulling my hair out putting four on and off and changing them as often as I have to do to make sure they're dry inside.

Colt, I will try that mixture since I already have two cans of Reducine. Wow, your mare was better in only a week?!

Imagine That, thanks for the warning about the sticky mess.

Debi

#12 Echoz

Echoz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 148 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 11:39 PM

I used venice turpentine on my horses hooves when he got stone bruise, the holes were dug out and packed with it and a cotton ball over the top.. stuffed right into the hole, it was set there and I covered it over with LOTS of thick, waterproof tape, by the morning the tape would usually be off, but the VT and cotton ball would still be firmly in place (i'd pull it out by them and put a fresh one in anyway)

I pulled out the little jar of VT the other day... it was in 2 plastic bags but STILL managed to leak EVERYWHERE!! not fun to clean up, I had to get real turpentine onto it and my hands just to clean it after.

#13 Echoz

Echoz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 148 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 11:40 PM

By the way I keep mine in the fridge, and zap it in the microwave for a few second when I use it.

#14 colt

colt

Not Ded Colt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,962 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 02:39 AM

my mare is stalled during the day and on turn out all night,so she probably doesnt have the extent of soreness yours do....i am trying to get them to grow out ,when we brought her home from the track we pulled her shoes and she really wore them down quickly.she has shown a lot of improvement in hoof growth and relief of soreness.

#15 black horse

black horse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 11:11 AM

You dont have to wrap, but you can apply it real good and cover with sheet cotton or a piece of paper towel in the shape of the foot and it will stay on a good while. It is really sticky gooy stuff and if I get it on my hands I rub them in dirt real good then wash them.

#16 PonyHoney

PonyHoney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 04:06 PM

Sounds like real messy stuff. I'll let you guys know how it works.

By the way, I shouldn't put it on the hoof that's healing from an abscess, should I? Until it's all healed?

Debi

#17 PonyHoney

PonyHoney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 11:00 PM

What is it? Is it the same as regular turpentine? Where do I get it? How does it work actually? And how does DMSO work with it? Thank you.

Debi

#18 colt

colt

Not Ded Colt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,962 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 11:59 PM

Venice Turpentine is a yellowish, viscous resin from the European Larch, a pine tree. It is used for lithographic work, as a sealing wax, and in varnishes. Horsemen have used it for years as a salve for cuts and as a hoof dressing.

you can buy it at any horse supply place.
http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?PG...fc-b9537be23775

it toughens the sole and draws out soreness.adding DMSO can hasten the absorption .

#19 heidi

heidi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 12:07 AM

I have also used regular turpentine to toughen the soles. Just be VERY careful not to get it on the skin!

Strong iodine will also work.

Sole pack is also a great product, it comes in pattys, and I think a liquid too. I usually use the pattys and wrap their feet in duct tape.

#20 colt

colt

Not Ded Colt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,962 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 12:46 PM

you can add the iodine to the VT...it will help also.

#21 PonyHoney

PonyHoney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 10:56 PM

Thanks for the link. Now I remember seeing that can all over the place! How many times a week should I put it on my horse? Would Betadine work like iodine? I happen to have those Sole Pack patties in my shop. I almost sold them--guess I'll use them. How often do you change them? Thank you everyone--I appreciate it!

Debi

#22 black horse

black horse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 11:14 PM

1 800 Jeffers sells both Venice Turpentine and DMSO. The DMSO helps it to get into the foot faster. I mix the top portion of my V.T. with DMSO and pour onto foot, cover with sheet cotton (paper towel or cotton will do) wrap a couple times with vet wrap, and several wraps of duct tape. (My "packs" stay on a couple of days) NEVER GO ABOVE THE CORONET BAND, if you accidentally do, cut down to relieve pressure with a pair of scissors, leave it on til they walk through it, repeat as necessary. [Big Grin]

#23 PonyHoney

PonyHoney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 10:14 PM

What if I'm putting venice turpentine on my horse's four feet because they're all ouchy? I can't wrap all his feet. Do I have to wrap if I use venice turpentine? Also, I found something in my shop called Reducine. It describes itself as a counter-irritant. But it sounds like it has a lot of the same ingredients that I've seen in the products that are called hoof hardeners and have the venice turpentine in them. Can I use this to harden his feet? This is the ingredients that are in it: potassium iodide, iodine resublimed, pine tar, saponified vegetable oils.
Thanks!

Debi

#24 black horse

black horse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 11:48 PM

Don't know about that, [Confused] no experience, but the V.T. and DMSO works very well, [Big Grin] and the V.T can be used by itself, just apply and cover with hoof shaped piece of sheet cotton or paper towel and let them walk it off, it would definately be better to wrap them and why couldn't you do all four feet, you'd get good at it by the time you were through. [Wink]

#25 colt

colt

Not Ded Colt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,962 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 08:06 AM

you dont have to wrap them..i mix my own hoof oil....maybe want to try....

in a one gallon jug mix
1 can reducine
1 can VT
1 cup wheat germ oil
top it off with fish oil(available at tack shop)

paint them daily,soles and coronary band down.mt TB mare is much better after a week of painting hers(recently going barefoot)

#26 Imagine That

Imagine That

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 09:04 AM

I use Venice Turpentine on my horse's feet to keep them from getting sore and to toughen them up. I don't wrap it, or add anything else to it. I just take an old hoof pick, and mush the turpentine around on the bottom of his foot. Just make sure you are in a stall or outside, not on concrete, it makes a sticky mess from their feet and takes forever to come up.

I do this close to every day or every other day. I wouldn't advise using the Sole Pack to frequently because it's kind of pricey to be using every day. Venice Turpentine only costs about 8 bucks.

Good luck!

#27 PonyHoney

PonyHoney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 10:16 PM

Oh, this is so exciting that the venice turpentine might actually help them! I ordered it.

Black Horse, the only reason I don't want to wrap all four feet is because it is a horror story whenever I have to wrap one foot when they have an abscess since they have to cross a creek daily to get back and forth from the barn to the pasture and it's hard to keep a wrapped foot dry. I use a Davis boot over the wrap and it's one pain in the butt to get it on and off. I coat it with corn oil and that helps, but it's still difficult. I'd be pulling my hair out putting four on and off and changing them as often as I have to do to make sure they're dry inside.

Colt, I will try that mixture since I already have two cans of Reducine. Wow, your mare was better in only a week?!

Imagine That, thanks for the warning about the sticky mess.

Debi

#28 Echoz

Echoz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 148 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 11:39 PM

I used venice turpentine on my horses hooves when he got stone bruise, the holes were dug out and packed with it and a cotton ball over the top.. stuffed right into the hole, it was set there and I covered it over with LOTS of thick, waterproof tape, by the morning the tape would usually be off, but the VT and cotton ball would still be firmly in place (i'd pull it out by them and put a fresh one in anyway)

I pulled out the little jar of VT the other day... it was in 2 plastic bags but STILL managed to leak EVERYWHERE!! not fun to clean up, I had to get real turpentine onto it and my hands just to clean it after.

#29 Echoz

Echoz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 148 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 11:40 PM

By the way I keep mine in the fridge, and zap it in the microwave for a few second when I use it.

#30 colt

colt

Not Ded Colt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,962 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 02:39 AM

my mare is stalled during the day and on turn out all night,so she probably doesnt have the extent of soreness yours do....i am trying to get them to grow out ,when we brought her home from the track we pulled her shoes and she really wore them down quickly.she has shown a lot of improvement in hoof growth and relief of soreness.