9 replies to this topic

#1 Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,799 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 12:54 AM

Does anyone have any experience with giving rice bran to a horse with an ulcer?
I want to have my mare on a fat supplement, but its tricky keeping her on feed. Right now shes eating like a pig, but one wrong thing and she will go off feed again. Black oil sunflower seeds kept her from cleaning up all her feed. Do you think rice bran will bother her?

#2 Diana

Diana

• Members
  • Pip
  • 336 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 01:09 AM

Try a small amount in a separate bucket, maybe a handful for her mormal feed and half a handful of rice bran. If she is willing to sample it, introduce it slowly to her regular feed so she can get used to it.

I do not know if RB is recommended or not for a horse with ulcers.

#3 CMR0216

CMR0216

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,409 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 01:14 AM

Hey Sarah,

Have you thought of maybe feeding her some gastroguard once a month for ulcers? Then you could feed with no problem.

#4 Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,799 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 01:26 AM

Shes on an ulcer supplement. She was not eating hardly anything, period. Now she is cleaning up her hay and oats and probiotics. You still have to control their diet to keep them on feed. Eventually you can wean them off the ulcer supplements and control it with just diet. The supplements get VERY expensive and im poor enough already.
Im not worried about her actually eating the rice bran, she had it in the past before the ulcer problems and loved it.

#5 qheventer

qheventer

Writer & Rider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,725 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 08:37 AM

I don't know if it would bother the ulcer or not. My first guess would be no.

Rice Bran is a little higher in calcium, so that might in fact help a little bit. But you might have to take the calcium/phos ratio into consideration.

I've only fed the flax seed meal and the Cocosoya oil for fat to mine and it hasn't effected his appetite.

The one thing about the flax seed is that it has mucous properties so that it kind of lubes up the intestinal tract and food passes through easier, which helps with ulcer issues. If you look at the herbal supplements, they contain flax seed meal. And I'm FIRM believer in the benefits of the herbal ulcer supplements. [Not Worthy] I've had definate sucess with that. I'm in the process of trying the miracle clay right now and so far so good.

#6 Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,799 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 12:54 AM

Does anyone have any experience with giving rice bran to a horse with an ulcer?
I want to have my mare on a fat supplement, but its tricky keeping her on feed. Right now shes eating like a pig, but one wrong thing and she will go off feed again. Black oil sunflower seeds kept her from cleaning up all her feed. Do you think rice bran will bother her?

#7 Diana

Diana

• Members
  • Pip
  • 336 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 01:09 AM

Try a small amount in a separate bucket, maybe a handful for her mormal feed and half a handful of rice bran. If she is willing to sample it, introduce it slowly to her regular feed so she can get used to it.

I do not know if RB is recommended or not for a horse with ulcers.

#8 CMR0216

CMR0216

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,409 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 01:14 AM

Hey Sarah,

Have you thought of maybe feeding her some gastroguard once a month for ulcers? Then you could feed with no problem.

#9 Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,799 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 01:26 AM

Shes on an ulcer supplement. She was not eating hardly anything, period. Now she is cleaning up her hay and oats and probiotics. You still have to control their diet to keep them on feed. Eventually you can wean them off the ulcer supplements and control it with just diet. The supplements get VERY expensive and im poor enough already.
Im not worried about her actually eating the rice bran, she had it in the past before the ulcer problems and loved it.

#10 qheventer

qheventer

Writer & Rider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,725 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 08:37 AM

I don't know if it would bother the ulcer or not. My first guess would be no.

Rice Bran is a little higher in calcium, so that might in fact help a little bit. But you might have to take the calcium/phos ratio into consideration.

I've only fed the flax seed meal and the Cocosoya oil for fat to mine and it hasn't effected his appetite.

The one thing about the flax seed is that it has mucous properties so that it kind of lubes up the intestinal tract and food passes through easier, which helps with ulcer issues. If you look at the herbal supplements, they contain flax seed meal. And I'm FIRM believer in the benefits of the herbal ulcer supplements. [Not Worthy] I've had definate sucess with that. I'm in the process of trying the miracle clay right now and so far so good.