• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 PattiG

PattiG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 10:40 AM

Does anyone have any ideas on how to keep snow from packing up under the horses hooves, besides keeping them in the barn? We are experiencing very cold dry snow, we got 6 inches yesterday, some of them look like they are walking on high heels. The ones that are really bad I have been bringing in the barn and hammering out the packed ice.

#2 Tana32

Tana32

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 10:49 AM

If they have shoes on you can put snow pads on and they will keep out the snow. If they just have barefeet you can spray them with pam or put crisco in them. We have 20 horses so that isn't an option, we let the heat of their bodies melt it.

#3 linebacker714

linebacker714

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 December 2005 - 08:38 AM

You can check out the posting in the subject: Keeping snow out of shoes. There are several replys there for the same questtion. I use snow pads with shoes, Pam spray, vaseline without or with shoes.

#4 Wild Rose

Wild Rose

Horse Maid

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 48,279 posts

Posted 10 December 2005 - 07:33 PM

If the horse is barefoot, the snow balls do fall out on their own, eventually, but just build back up again.

I've tried Pam and Vaseline, and some kind of stuff they use for dogs. Nothing works very well. I just have my hoofpick handy and pick them out. [Razz]

#5 -MudCloud Unlimited-

-MudCloud Unlimited-

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,333 posts

Posted 10 December 2005 - 08:07 PM

I heard that spraying the bottem of their hooves with oil works.

#6 I lov my app.

I lov my app.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 486 posts

Posted 10 December 2005 - 08:39 PM

My horsae is always barefoot and i use vasaline it works like a charms of course my horse hates snow and stands in the field and eats hay 24/7 but it really works for mine or baby oil.

#7 emeraldheart

emeraldheart

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 10 December 2005 - 08:58 PM

My Percheron cross mare gets huge snowballs on her feet. I pick them out and slather the bottom of her hoof and shoes with crisco.

#8 SpiritHorse

SpiritHorse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 03:31 AM

We have 4 horses and we let their natural body heat do it.
Wild horses do not have people to pick out their hooves, if it isn't causing swelling or lameness I would not worry about it.

I am in the Kingsville area and we got about 7-8 inches of the stuff and my horses love it.
Our have been barefoot for a couple years now.

#9 PattiG

PattiG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 10:40 AM

Does anyone have any ideas on how to keep snow from packing up under the horses hooves, besides keeping them in the barn? We are experiencing very cold dry snow, we got 6 inches yesterday, some of them look like they are walking on high heels. The ones that are really bad I have been bringing in the barn and hammering out the packed ice.

#10 Tana32

Tana32

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 10:49 AM

If they have shoes on you can put snow pads on and they will keep out the snow. If they just have barefeet you can spray them with pam or put crisco in them. We have 20 horses so that isn't an option, we let the heat of their bodies melt it.

#11 linebacker714

linebacker714

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 December 2005 - 08:38 AM

You can check out the posting in the subject: Keeping snow out of shoes. There are several replys there for the same questtion. I use snow pads with shoes, Pam spray, vaseline without or with shoes.

#12 Wild Rose

Wild Rose

Horse Maid

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 48,279 posts

Posted 10 December 2005 - 07:33 PM

If the horse is barefoot, the snow balls do fall out on their own, eventually, but just build back up again.

I've tried Pam and Vaseline, and some kind of stuff they use for dogs. Nothing works very well. I just have my hoofpick handy and pick them out. [Razz]

#13 -MudCloud Unlimited-

-MudCloud Unlimited-

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,333 posts

Posted 10 December 2005 - 08:07 PM

I heard that spraying the bottem of their hooves with oil works.

#14 I lov my app.

I lov my app.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 486 posts

Posted 10 December 2005 - 08:39 PM

My horsae is always barefoot and i use vasaline it works like a charms of course my horse hates snow and stands in the field and eats hay 24/7 but it really works for mine or baby oil.

#15 emeraldheart

emeraldheart

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 10 December 2005 - 08:58 PM

My Percheron cross mare gets huge snowballs on her feet. I pick them out and slather the bottom of her hoof and shoes with crisco.

#16 SpiritHorse

SpiritHorse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 03:31 AM

We have 4 horses and we let their natural body heat do it.
Wild horses do not have people to pick out their hooves, if it isn't causing swelling or lameness I would not worry about it.

I am in the Kingsville area and we got about 7-8 inches of the stuff and my horses love it.
Our have been barefoot for a couple years now.