• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 red_cowgirl23

red_cowgirl23

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 07:56 PM

does anyone know any home remedies that'll help a contipated horse?

#2 fotie

fotie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 339 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 08:09 PM

mineral oil.

#3 Merry

Merry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,016 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 08:16 PM

Ask your vet if salt would help and how much to add to his feed, to increase his water consumption.

Constipation on a horse is a serious situation, that can colic him.

#4 audrey-mae

audrey-mae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,468 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 08:17 PM

Horses dont get constipated, they colic, and if they arent pooping its some pretty serious colic. YOu need to call your vet NOW or your horse might die! I dont mean to scare you, but its the truth, this is nothing to be taken lightly.

#5 ShastaBaby

ShastaBaby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,130 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 08:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by audrey-mae:
Horses dont get constipated, they colic, and if they arent pooping its some pretty serious colic. YOu need to call your vet NOW or your horse might die! I dont mean to scare you, but its the truth, this is nothing to be taken lightly.

Woah..ok I have to disagree with you here. A constipated horse is not a horse with full blown colic. If they stop drinking water all together, and stop eating and simply stand in their stall depressed, THAT is colic.

I agree it stills hould not btaken lightly though. If can get much worse if it's not dealt with.

First, take about a cup of veggie oil or some kind of cooking oil and put it in some grain w/ salt mixed in. Give it to him and make sure he eats most of it. Make sure he has plenty of water available and then keep an eye on him. I just had this happen with my mare a couple days ago. We also gave her a shot of banamine for the pain and as a muscle relaxant but I've heard that is can cover up some symptoms of colic so you may want to choose something else.

If it is really bad and your horse isn't drinking or eating, I would call the vet. If you caught it early, he should be okay. Keep us updated!

#6 red_cowgirl23

red_cowgirl23

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 08:57 PM

he doesnt seem to be in much pain if any. he's been drinking quite a bit of water and i walked him for a while...shoot he even wanted to trot home a little ways, but he's still just standing around and eating a little grass he sees from time to time. i've even tried to give him a warm water enema..that wasnt easy. lol

#7 Zakima

Zakima

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,579 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 09:17 PM

While this may not be colic, it is a dangerous chance to take if you are unsure. Colic can go from slight to critical in an incredibly short time.

#8 FullMoonTonight

FullMoonTonight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 09:39 PM

I would recommend soaking his hay in water and giving it to him that way, it's alot easier for them to digest and it'll hopefully come out the other end sooner! It worked on a horse at my barn, just be patient. I would definetly recommend calling your vet though.

good luck! sorry I couldn't help more! [Big Grin]

#9 itsaSUTHURNthang

itsaSUTHURNthang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,962 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 09:44 PM

I agree it may not be colic. But it also could be. I had a gelding put to sleep from colic, and he wasn't showing ANY signs until the day he was put down. Mine wouldn't eat any grain, didn't want to move, drink, and wanted to roll a lot. Just to be on the safe side, I would have a vet come out. The vet would be cheaper than the pain it would put you through if he died...from personal experience.

-Amanda

#10 BuddyRoo

BuddyRoo

Bandwagon Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,292 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 09:59 PM

Some horses are quite stoic when it comes to pain. If it were my horse, I'd have a vet out.

In the meantime, are you monitoring his temp, heart rate and respiration rate?

Do you hear gut sounds?

Maybe it's possible for a horse to just be constipated...but quite frankly, I've never seen it in my experience. They've either got normal stools, loose stools, or they're colicing/torsion/impaction.

[ 12-13-2005, 09:00 PM: Message edited by: BuddyRooShmancyNShy ]

#11 red_cowgirl23

red_cowgirl23

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 10:26 PM

well his heart beat sounds fine and his breath is normal but with a little tension. i hear more sounds on his left side then i do on his right. he's just out there mopeing around sniffing and nibbling on sprigs of grass here and there. I gave him a little feed coated in oil like one person said and went and walked him again. its 8:30 and i have no money so this sux! and its raining!

[ 12-13-2005, 09:28 PM: Message edited by: red_cowgirl23 ]

#12 ShastaBaby

ShastaBaby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,130 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 10:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by red_cowgirl23:
well his heart beat sounds fine and his breath is normal but with a little tension. i hear more sounds on his left side then i do on his right. he's just out there mopeing around sniffing and nibbling on sprigs of grass here and there. I gave him a little feed coated in oil like one person said and went and walked him again. its 8:30 and i have no money so this sux! and its raining!

[Question] So, what signs is he showing that he is constipated? Does he try to go and just can't? If he is drinking water that's good, and moving around is great. Instead of attempting ot give him an enema, try the oil, it will help loosen things up and lubricate and make it easier for him to go.

[ 12-13-2005, 09:44 PM: Message edited by: ShastaBaby ]

#13 red_cowgirl23

red_cowgirl23

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

I just looked out the window and he's eating hay. i hope thats a good sign

#14 cvm2002

cvm2002

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,981 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 11:24 PM

Eating hay is the worst thing for a "constipated" horse. Constipated in horses = IMPACTION which will ultimately end up in colic if its not treated aggressively. Aggressively means significant amount of fluid replacement therapy. A cup of metamucil or corn oil is NOT GOING TO TREAT this condition. Continuing to feed impacted horses hay (or anything for that matter) is simply going to make for a larger impaction. These horses should have a combination of oral fluids (ideally via nasogastric tube) and potentially IV fluids in order to rehydrate the animal. Mineral oil acts as a laxative and helps to slick the way and soften the impacted material. Again, a little syringe full isn't going to do anything. Think gallons by nasogastric tube. The horse shouldn't eat anything until oil passes through the system.

Ultimately this is caused by dehydration. Keep the horse drinking and properly hydrated and you won't run into this issue.

#15 ej

ej

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,921 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 09:43 AM

If the hores is constipated and not drinking dont give him any food, that will impact him more, which can cause "impaction colic". If he isnt drinking, dont put salt in his feed. If they dont drink right way to flush what salts they dont need, it can make him sick.
The best course of action is to call your vet and if the vet and you have worked together before, he would probably be willing to help you out over the phone to save him a farm call.

#16 red_cowgirl23

red_cowgirl23

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 08:52 PM

well believe it or not my horse has started going to the bathroom again on his own. i did talk to the vet and he just suggested to keep him off feed for a few days and keep the salt out there to get him to drink if needed. he's eating hay and forage just fine and he's drinking just fine. [Smile]

#17 red_cowgirl23

red_cowgirl23

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 08:53 PM

well believe it or not my horse has started going to the bathroom again on his own. i did talk to the vet and he just suggested to keep him off feed for a few days and keep the salt out there to get him to drink if needed. he's eating hay and forage just fine and he's drinking just fine and he seems to be feeling better. [Smile]

#18 red_cowgirl23

red_cowgirl23

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 07:56 PM

does anyone know any home remedies that'll help a contipated horse?

#19 fotie

fotie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 339 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 08:09 PM

mineral oil.

#20 Merry

Merry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,016 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 08:16 PM

Ask your vet if salt would help and how much to add to his feed, to increase his water consumption.

Constipation on a horse is a serious situation, that can colic him.

#21 audrey-mae

audrey-mae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,468 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 08:17 PM

#22 ShastaBaby

ShastaBaby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,130 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 08:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by audrey-mae:

Woah..ok I have to disagree with you here. A constipated horse is not a horse with full blown colic. If they stop drinking water all together, and stop eating and simply stand in their stall depressed, THAT is colic.

I agree it stills hould not btaken lightly though. If can get much worse if it's not dealt with.

First, take about a cup of veggie oil or some kind of cooking oil and put it in some grain w/ salt mixed in. Give it to him and make sure he eats most of it. Make sure he has plenty of water available and then keep an eye on him. I just had this happen with my mare a couple days ago. We also gave her a shot of banamine for the pain and as a muscle relaxant but I've heard that is can cover up some symptoms of colic so you may want to choose something else.

If it is really bad and your horse isn't drinking or eating, I would call the vet. If you caught it early, he should be okay. Keep us updated!

#23 red_cowgirl23

red_cowgirl23

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 08:57 PM

he doesnt seem to be in much pain if any. he's been drinking quite a bit of water and i walked him for a while...shoot he even wanted to trot home a little ways, but he's still just standing around and eating a little grass he sees from time to time. i've even tried to give him a warm water enema..that wasnt easy. lol

#24 Zakima

Zakima

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,579 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 09:17 PM

While this may not be colic, it is a dangerous chance to take if you are unsure. Colic can go from slight to critical in an incredibly short time.

#25 FullMoonTonight

FullMoonTonight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 09:39 PM

I would recommend soaking his hay in water and giving it to him that way, it's alot easier for them to digest and it'll hopefully come out the other end sooner! It worked on a horse at my barn, just be patient. I would definetly recommend calling your vet though.

good luck! sorry I couldn't help more! [Big Grin]

#26 itsaSUTHURNthang

itsaSUTHURNthang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,962 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 09:44 PM

I agree it may not be colic. But it also could be. I had a gelding put to sleep from colic, and he wasn't showing ANY signs until the day he was put down. Mine wouldn't eat any grain, didn't want to move, drink, and wanted to roll a lot. Just to be on the safe side, I would have a vet come out. The vet would be cheaper than the pain it would put you through if he died...from personal experience.

-Amanda

#27 BuddyRoo

BuddyRoo

Bandwagon Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,292 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 09:59 PM

Some horses are quite stoic when it comes to pain. If it were my horse, I'd have a vet out.

In the meantime, are you monitoring his temp, heart rate and respiration rate?

Do you hear gut sounds?

Maybe it's possible for a horse to just be constipated...but quite frankly, I've never seen it in my experience. They've either got normal stools, loose stools, or they're colicing/torsion/impaction.

[ 12-13-2005, 09:00 PM: Message edited by: BuddyRooShmancyNShy ]

#28 red_cowgirl23

red_cowgirl23

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 10:26 PM

[ 12-13-2005, 09:28 PM: Message edited by: red_cowgirl23 ]

#29 ShastaBaby

ShastaBaby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,130 posts

quote:
Originally posted by red_cowgirl23:

[Question] So, what signs is he showing that he is constipated? Does he try to go and just can't? If he is drinking water that's good, and moving around is great. Instead of attempting ot give him an enema, try the oil, it will help loosen things up and lubricate and make it easier for him to go.

[ 12-13-2005, 09:44 PM: Message edited by: ShastaBaby ]

#30 red_cowgirl23

red_cowgirl23

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

I just looked out the window and he's eating hay. i hope thats a good sign