13 replies to this topic

#1 K. Blue

K. Blue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,645 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 08:18 PM

Does anyone know the name of generic Legend? I'm looking into it for Spots.

Thanks in advance!

~K Blue and Spots

#2 BuddyRoo

BuddyRoo

Bandwagon Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,292 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 08:47 PM

There is no generic Legend or Adequan as both are still protected under patent.

Any product that "claims" to be a generic just plain isn't. If your vet has recommended Legend (which by the way is given IV, not IM), you need to give REAL legend.

#3 colt

colt

Not Ded Colt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,961 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 09:32 PM

i think you are meaning injectable glucosamine.i use it,doesnt help them all but i have 2 horses that get it weekly...seems to extend the time period in between intra articular injecting.

#4 K. Blue

K. Blue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,645 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 10:27 PM

What do you know about MAP5?

Thanks!

#5 BuddyRoo

BuddyRoo

Bandwagon Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,292 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 10:35 PM

As far as I know, Map5 has been studied exclusively in bovines....not equines. I'm not terribly familiar with all of the details... most of the studies are relatively new.

Are you referencing any particular study?

#6 cvm2002

cvm2002

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,981 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 11:07 PM

As previously pointed out, there are no generic forms of Legend or Adequan. Need to point out of course that these products are VERY different: Legend being Hyaluronic acid, Adequan being a polysulfated Glycosaminoglycan.

MAP-5 is a SEMEN PRESERVATIVE for frozen semen. That's where its use belongs. Period.

I just spent this weekend at a veterinary conference where equine osteoarthritis was the keynote series of lectures. Very interesting stuff with all of the big-whig names in osteoarthritis research (Caron, McIlwraith, Arnoczky--whom I've published with incidentally!) were there, and all concur that this is one area where you absolutely get what you pay for. You buy cheap, you'll get cheap products that in the long run are going to end up costing you more money than not.

Stick to the tried, true and proven!!

#7 K. Blue

K. Blue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,645 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 11:29 PM

Thank you all very much for clarifying this for me. I am looking into a few different options for Spots as he is getting up there in age and want to keep him as happy as possible. We have decreased the amount of jumping we do and he is on joint supplements my old vet recommended.

As for the MAP-5, I overheard someone talking about using it for their horse's joints and figured I would ask. I am planning on getting Legend for him for this weekend's IEA show (and having a vet give it to him).

Thanks again for all the help!

#8 K. Blue

K. Blue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,645 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 08:18 PM

Does anyone know the name of generic Legend? I'm looking into it for Spots.

Thanks in advance!

~K Blue and Spots

#9 BuddyRoo

BuddyRoo

Bandwagon Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,292 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 08:47 PM

There is no generic Legend or Adequan as both are still protected under patent.

Any product that "claims" to be a generic just plain isn't. If your vet has recommended Legend (which by the way is given IV, not IM), you need to give REAL legend.

#10 colt

colt

Not Ded Colt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,961 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 09:32 PM

i think you are meaning injectable glucosamine.i use it,doesnt help them all but i have 2 horses that get it weekly...seems to extend the time period in between intra articular injecting.

#11 K. Blue

K. Blue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,645 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 10:27 PM

What do you know about MAP5?

Thanks!

#12 BuddyRoo

BuddyRoo

Bandwagon Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,292 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 10:35 PM

As far as I know, Map5 has been studied exclusively in bovines....not equines. I'm not terribly familiar with all of the details... most of the studies are relatively new.

Are you referencing any particular study?

#13 cvm2002

cvm2002

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,981 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 11:07 PM

As previously pointed out, there are no generic forms of Legend or Adequan. Need to point out of course that these products are VERY different: Legend being Hyaluronic acid, Adequan being a polysulfated Glycosaminoglycan.

MAP-5 is a SEMEN PRESERVATIVE for frozen semen. That's where its use belongs. Period.

I just spent this weekend at a veterinary conference where equine osteoarthritis was the keynote series of lectures. Very interesting stuff with all of the big-whig names in osteoarthritis research (Caron, McIlwraith, Arnoczky--whom I've published with incidentally!) were there, and all concur that this is one area where you absolutely get what you pay for. You buy cheap, you'll get cheap products that in the long run are going to end up costing you more money than not.

Stick to the tried, true and proven!!

#14 K. Blue

K. Blue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,645 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 11:29 PM

Thank you all very much for clarifying this for me. I am looking into a few different options for Spots as he is getting up there in age and want to keep him as happy as possible. We have decreased the amount of jumping we do and he is on joint supplements my old vet recommended.

As for the MAP-5, I overheard someone talking about using it for their horse's joints and figured I would ask. I am planning on getting Legend for him for this weekend's IEA show (and having a vet give it to him).

Thanks again for all the help!