• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 medic940

medic940

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 01:27 PM

Can you feed Cotton Feed bales to horses? I have heard of cotton seed hulls but never cotton feed, I would still feed a little alfalfa for the protien but she gets too hot on straight alfalfa?
Thanks
medic [Confused]

[ 02-04-2006, 03:51 PM: Message edited by: medic940 ]

#2 medic940

medic940

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 04:20 PM

Bump

#3 Cheri Wolfe

Cheri Wolfe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,876 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 10:43 PM

Any cottonseed product can contain gossopol acid. It is toxic to horses and should only be fed to cattle. That is why commercial feed mills use cottonseed meal/hulls in cattle feeds and soybean meal/hulls in horse feeds.

#4 medic940

medic940

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 03:57 AM

thanks

#5 Ole Timer Still Learnin

Ole Timer Still Learnin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 12:38 PM

I hesitate to offer any comments beyound what Cheri has offered. However, If in the event you are near or have horses that are near any cotton waste bales for which are around and used for cattle feed, and you have the potential for your horses getting into it, I thought I'd offer the following advice.

While cottonseed meal can be used in horse feeds as a protein source, it must not exceed 25% of the total balanced ration sources of forage, energy and protein. On the other hand, if your horses should get into the "cotton feed bales", you probably should get your vet to do some evaluations, especially for arsenic. Levels of arsenic at the 2ppm to 10ppm in a healthy horse probably wouldn't have any significant effects, however higher than that, you probably would. I believe the universities of NC and KY have done the most research to date in this area, if you actually need more information.

#6 SpiritHorse

SpiritHorse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 08:20 PM

WHAT???? Sorry for the yell there but our vet told us to feed our horses cotton seed hulls (still has cotton attached)
OMG........Thankfully I removed them off it and my older mare will no longer get any.
Too risky it is going in the fire.
Darn vet, he should stick with cows!

#7 Cheri Wolfe

Cheri Wolfe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,876 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 09:30 AM

It is the seed and the seed hull that can have gossopol acid in it. I don't think the lint does but any cotton by-product will have hulls and seed pieces in it.

#8 medic940

medic940

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 01:27 PM

Can you feed Cotton Feed bales to horses? I have heard of cotton seed hulls but never cotton feed, I would still feed a little alfalfa for the protien but she gets too hot on straight alfalfa?
Thanks
medic [Confused]

[ 02-04-2006, 03:51 PM: Message edited by: medic940 ]

#9 medic940

medic940

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 04:20 PM

Bump

#10 Cheri Wolfe

Cheri Wolfe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,876 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 10:43 PM

Any cottonseed product can contain gossopol acid. It is toxic to horses and should only be fed to cattle. That is why commercial feed mills use cottonseed meal/hulls in cattle feeds and soybean meal/hulls in horse feeds.

#11 medic940

medic940

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 03:57 AM

thanks

#12 Ole Timer Still Learnin

Ole Timer Still Learnin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 12:38 PM

I hesitate to offer any comments beyound what Cheri has offered. However, If in the event you are near or have horses that are near any cotton waste bales for which are around and used for cattle feed, and you have the potential for your horses getting into it, I thought I'd offer the following advice.

While cottonseed meal can be used in horse feeds as a protein source, it must not exceed 25% of the total balanced ration sources of forage, energy and protein. On the other hand, if your horses should get into the "cotton feed bales", you probably should get your vet to do some evaluations, especially for arsenic. Levels of arsenic at the 2ppm to 10ppm in a healthy horse probably wouldn't have any significant effects, however higher than that, you probably would. I believe the universities of NC and KY have done the most research to date in this area, if you actually need more information.

#13 SpiritHorse

SpiritHorse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 08:20 PM

WHAT???? Sorry for the yell there but our vet told us to feed our horses cotton seed hulls (still has cotton attached)
OMG........Thankfully I removed them off it and my older mare will no longer get any.
Too risky it is going in the fire.
Darn vet, he should stick with cows!

#14 Cheri Wolfe

Cheri Wolfe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,876 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 09:30 AM

It is the seed and the seed hull that can have gossopol acid in it. I don't think the lint does but any cotton by-product will have hulls and seed pieces in it.