• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 showjumper_1329

showjumper_1329

• Members
  • Pip
  • 262 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 07:33 PM

When my horse takes his first drink water comes out of his nose. usuly only the first drink and after that it doesnt happen. Its both sides. Could it be because he takes a drink then flings his head up? What could be the problem.

#2 showjumper_1329

showjumper_1329

• Members
  • Pip
  • 262 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 08:57 PM

bump

#3 Horseshoe

Horseshoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,456 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 10:28 PM

How old is he? Has he done this before or is this a recent thing?

We had a filly born 2 years ago that when she nursed it came out her nose. It was something like a cleff palate but I can't remember what it was called.

#4 showjumper_1329

showjumper_1329

• Members
  • Pip
  • 262 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 04:42 PM

I have just noticed it in this last month. It does not matter if it is before or after excerise or anything but usualy the first drink he takes water comes out his nose. Could it be becasue he throws his head up after the first drink. Also what did you do with your foal that had a proble like this?

#5 screaminghawk2000

screaminghawk2000

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,780 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 03:01 AM

We have a yearling gelding who has had this problem since 4 months old. It can be a cleft palate although his is intermittent dorsal displacement of the soft palate caused by a floppy epiglottis due to swelling from gutteral pouch infections. He has food and hay sometimes come out of his nose too. It's often seen in foals and can be easy to fix or very difficult. It's certainly something to check out with your vet especially if you haven't seen this in your horse before. It could indicate an infection or if it is congenital it could cause an infection or even choke.

#6 Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,799 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 05:25 AM

If he flings water into his nose, its probbably just draining back out.
WHY he started flinging his head is the real problem. Since the water is cold, the head flinging could be an "ouch!" response, suggesting something like a sore tooth.

#7 Jayme

Jayme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 12:47 AM

quote:
It can be a cleft palate although his is intermittent dorsal displacement of the soft palate caused by a floppy epiglottis due to swelling from gutteral pouch infections.
I'm sorry, i just had to point out how impressive that sentence is! haha [Big Grin]

#8 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2006 - 03:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Jayme:
quote:
It can be a cleft palate although his is intermittent dorsal displacement of the soft palate caused by a floppy epiglottis due to swelling from gutteral pouch infections.
I'm sorry, i just had to point out how impressive that sentence is! haha [Big Grin]
Ditto! [Big Grin]

#9 screaminghawk2000

screaminghawk2000

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,780 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 07:01 AM

Yeah, try to say that fast 10 times in row!

#10 palouk92

palouk92

• Members
  • Pip
  • 279 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 09:50 AM

quote:
quote:
I know! I was like [Question] ... SOMEBODY HAS PAID ATTENTION IN CLASS! [Big Grin]

#11 screaminghawk2000

screaminghawk2000

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,780 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 10:18 AM

It cost me about 5 grand to hear that sentence, believe me, I paid attention! LOL, what are ya gonna do but laugh at that point.

#12 showjumper_1329

showjumper_1329

• Members
  • Pip
  • 262 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 07:38 PM

I dont think its his tooth thought because he just had his teech done like 3 months ago and he only does it the first time and he is usualy just looking around and his ears are up.

#13 showjumper_1329

showjumper_1329

• Members
  • Pip
  • 262 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 07:33 PM

When my horse takes his first drink water comes out of his nose. usuly only the first drink and after that it doesnt happen. Its both sides. Could it be because he takes a drink then flings his head up? What could be the problem.

#14 showjumper_1329

showjumper_1329

• Members
  • Pip
  • 262 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 08:57 PM

bump

#15 Horseshoe

Horseshoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,456 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 10:28 PM

How old is he? Has he done this before or is this a recent thing?

We had a filly born 2 years ago that when she nursed it came out her nose. It was something like a cleff palate but I can't remember what it was called.

#16 showjumper_1329

showjumper_1329

• Members
  • Pip
  • 262 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 04:42 PM

I have just noticed it in this last month. It does not matter if it is before or after excerise or anything but usualy the first drink he takes water comes out his nose. Could it be becasue he throws his head up after the first drink. Also what did you do with your foal that had a proble like this?

#17 screaminghawk2000

screaminghawk2000

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,780 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 03:01 AM

We have a yearling gelding who has had this problem since 4 months old. It can be a cleft palate although his is intermittent dorsal displacement of the soft palate caused by a floppy epiglottis due to swelling from gutteral pouch infections. He has food and hay sometimes come out of his nose too. It's often seen in foals and can be easy to fix or very difficult. It's certainly something to check out with your vet especially if you haven't seen this in your horse before. It could indicate an infection or if it is congenital it could cause an infection or even choke.

#18 Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,799 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 05:25 AM

If he flings water into his nose, its probbably just draining back out.
WHY he started flinging his head is the real problem. Since the water is cold, the head flinging could be an "ouch!" response, suggesting something like a sore tooth.

#19 Jayme

Jayme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 12:47 AM

quote:

#20 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2006 - 03:39 AM

quote:
quote:
Ditto! [Big Grin]

#21 screaminghawk2000

screaminghawk2000

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,780 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 07:01 AM

Yeah, try to say that fast 10 times in row!

#22 palouk92

palouk92

• Members
  • Pip
  • 279 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 09:50 AM

quote:
quote:
I know! I was like [Question] ... SOMEBODY HAS PAID ATTENTION IN CLASS! [Big Grin]

#23 screaminghawk2000

screaminghawk2000

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,780 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 10:18 AM

It cost me about 5 grand to hear that sentence, believe me, I paid attention! LOL, what are ya gonna do but laugh at that point.

#24 showjumper_1329

showjumper_1329

• Members
  • Pip
  • 262 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 07:38 PM

I dont think its his tooth thought because he just had his teech done like 3 months ago and he only does it the first time and he is usualy just looking around and his ears are up.