21 replies to this topic

#1 a_key_to_my_heart

a_key_to_my_heart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 10:57 AM

I am possibly going to look at a Palomino Paint filly that has a hog back. The owner says that it is a Congenital Defect and not genetic. Is this true? Also what will happen over time with her body. Will she be rideable or just a brood mare/ Pasture horse?

#2 SERobins

SERobins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 11:13 AM

What is a hog back?

#3 Cactus Rose

Cactus Rose

Mountain Trail Rider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,570 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 11:20 AM

.....I wasn't sure what that was either. The only thing I can find on the net talks about a hog back jump....where the centre rail is the highest part of it.

That being said, I'm guessing it means the spine is the highest point of the back with the ribs and musculature dropping away from that point.....

[Question]

#4 Cheri Wolfe

Cheri Wolfe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,876 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 12:47 PM

A hog backed horse is one that has a rounded back with the same profile as a hog. There will be a little dip behind the withers and then the horse's back will have a 'hump' that goes from there to their tail.

I have never seen one that rode well at all and I have seen people try. There is just no place for the saddle to set and they are always uncomfortable with one. They are totally useless in my book. I connot say as to genetic ties, but I would never want to breed one. There are too many good horses without huge comformation faults to waste time and money on a freak of nature or a genetic wreck.

[ 03-22-2006, 11:47 AM: Message edited by: Cheri Wolfe ]

#5 audrey-mae

audrey-mae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,470 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 04:49 PM

DItto to Cheri! WHy breed something that is less then perfect. Do your self a favor and dont give a second thought to this horse. We need to start being more responsible and not even think about breeding poor quality horses.

#6 a_key_to_my_heart

a_key_to_my_heart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 07:59 PM

I was interested in her ad until the lady showed me her pictures then she told me of the defect. She wants $1800 for her, but I said No. She should have been more honest in her ad.

#7 Cheri Wolfe

Cheri Wolfe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,876 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 11:34 PM

$1800.00? The ones I have seen (some were very well bred) sold by the pound. The're in Europe now. Gives you an idea of what there worth here.

#8 pansimba

pansimba

pansimba

• Members
  • Pip
  • 415 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 12:00 AM

I do not chimme in often, I just read, but everyone of GOD's creature is worth something, even if nothing more than a grass mower.

I would agree the horse would not be worth $1800, but it is still a living creature.

#9 audrey-mae

audrey-mae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,470 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 04:09 PM

Buy it then pansimba! Do you make it a point to go to the auction and buy slaughter bound horses?

#10 pansimba

pansimba

pansimba

• Members
  • Pip
  • 415 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 07:17 PM

No, I can not run to every auction in the world and buy all the poor mistreated animals. I have 3 horse that came to me in bad shape from neglect cases and they have made great mounts and friends. I also have 3 cats and 3 dogs that were thrown out. I do my share to help neglected animals.

#11 Cheri Wolfe

Cheri Wolfe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,876 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 07:35 PM

There is a vast difference from 'saving' useful, ridable thin and neglected horses. That is not saving a horse in my book -- it is just good business. 'Saving' a horse is buying a slaughter bound 'useless' non-ridable horse that can only be a 'yard ornament' and a feed and doller burner. When you do that with regularity, you can criticize the people that take them to a sale, turn them into dollars and let the chips fall where they may.

#12 a_key_to_my_heart

a_key_to_my_heart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 10:57 AM

I am possibly going to look at a Palomino Paint filly that has a hog back. The owner says that it is a Congenital Defect and not genetic. Is this true? Also what will happen over time with her body. Will she be rideable or just a brood mare/ Pasture horse?

#13 SERobins

SERobins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 11:13 AM

What is a hog back?

#14 Cactus Rose

Cactus Rose

Mountain Trail Rider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,570 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 11:20 AM

.....I wasn't sure what that was either. The only thing I can find on the net talks about a hog back jump....where the centre rail is the highest part of it.

That being said, I'm guessing it means the spine is the highest point of the back with the ribs and musculature dropping away from that point.....

[Question]

#15 Cheri Wolfe

Cheri Wolfe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,876 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 12:47 PM

A hog backed horse is one that has a rounded back with the same profile as a hog. There will be a little dip behind the withers and then the horse's back will have a 'hump' that goes from there to their tail.

I have never seen one that rode well at all and I have seen people try. There is just no place for the saddle to set and they are always uncomfortable with one. They are totally useless in my book. I connot say as to genetic ties, but I would never want to breed one. There are too many good horses without huge comformation faults to waste time and money on a freak of nature or a genetic wreck.

[ 03-22-2006, 11:47 AM: Message edited by: Cheri Wolfe ]

#16 audrey-mae

audrey-mae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,470 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 04:49 PM

DItto to Cheri! WHy breed something that is less then perfect. Do your self a favor and dont give a second thought to this horse. We need to start being more responsible and not even think about breeding poor quality horses.

#17 a_key_to_my_heart

a_key_to_my_heart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 07:59 PM

I was interested in her ad until the lady showed me her pictures then she told me of the defect. She wants $1800 for her, but I said No. She should have been more honest in her ad.

#18 Cheri Wolfe

Cheri Wolfe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,876 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 11:34 PM

$1800.00? The ones I have seen (some were very well bred) sold by the pound. The're in Europe now. Gives you an idea of what there worth here.

#19 pansimba

pansimba

pansimba

• Members
  • Pip
  • 415 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 12:00 AM

I do not chimme in often, I just read, but everyone of GOD's creature is worth something, even if nothing more than a grass mower.

I would agree the horse would not be worth $1800, but it is still a living creature.

#20 audrey-mae

audrey-mae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,470 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 04:09 PM

Buy it then pansimba! Do you make it a point to go to the auction and buy slaughter bound horses?

#21 pansimba

pansimba

pansimba

• Members
  • Pip
  • 415 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 07:17 PM

No, I can not run to every auction in the world and buy all the poor mistreated animals. I have 3 horse that came to me in bad shape from neglect cases and they have made great mounts and friends. I also have 3 cats and 3 dogs that were thrown out. I do my share to help neglected animals.

#22 Cheri Wolfe

Cheri Wolfe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,876 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 07:35 PM

There is a vast difference from 'saving' useful, ridable thin and neglected horses. That is not saving a horse in my book -- it is just good business. 'Saving' a horse is buying a slaughter bound 'useless' non-ridable horse that can only be a 'yard ornament' and a feed and doller burner. When you do that with regularity, you can criticize the people that take them to a sale, turn them into dollars and let the chips fall where they may.